PDA

View Full Version : How do monks defend against mesmers

relight
03-06-2005, 20:18
Hi guys I have a lot of problems with mesmers because they put Sheets on me like backfire, shatter enchantment and mana burn...I find myself extremely defenseless against mesmers especially backfire and shatter enchantment because I'm usually use protective spirit when i'm the centre of fire but when it got shattered it usually means instant death.

I have smite hex but it doesnt work well so how do monks protect them selves from mesmer? (esp shatter enchantment and backfire). I hate mesmers cause they can cause me a lot of troubles with just a few spells and when I'm in trouble my whole team is in trouble too my team cannot live without my healing.

Diceclock
03-06-2005, 20:30
Smite hex is a good start. Staying away from them is another, as in make them wade through your melee and casters to get to you. Try to keep healing breeze on yourself if you suspect a Mesmer to go gunning for you.

Seeker of Something
03-06-2005, 21:17
Try to keep healing breeze on yourself if you suspect a Mesmer to go gunning for you.

How is enchanting himself with Healing Breeze supposed to help him against a Mesmer with Shatter Enchantment? Spell Breaker or Hex Breaker maybe...

Diceclock
03-06-2005, 22:24
1. You get hit with Shatter Enchantment

2. You cast Healing Breeze.

3. You get hit with backfire, and run around a little while Healing Breeze heals you.

or if your smart about it...

1. You have the mesmer pre-targeted to see what he's casting.

2. When you see Backfire being casted, you hit healing breeze.

if your quick about it, you can almost always get healing breeze off before they get Backfire off. It's also a good idea to have one easy recast trash buff up to cover your vital ones.

TheNug
03-06-2005, 22:53
heh? in the case of backfire and other hexes that stays on, monks don't do nothing but wait it out unless they have a teammate remove it. in instant effect type spells like energy burn, spell breaker is your friend. hex breaker is also a nice spell even with 0 attributes in domination.

relight
04-06-2005, 00:43
Ok I just played a lot of team arenas with my Healer monk...it was the mesmer skills that was annoying me most of the time.

I was the only healer and this Me/W dude was chasing me all the way with backfire and blackout along with another warrior, everytime i cast protective spirit or breeze they would catch up and cripple or shatter enchantment my ***

I noticed that blackout has an insanely short cool down, my skills were all being "blackouted" every 15seconds or something and the blackout last quite long too....my team got toasted quickly and everyone was blaming me for not healing.

I think its easier to said than done, I always have smite hex on me but it only remove one hex at a time and have a moderate cool down.

So with backfire on me and a warrior on my arze and the periodical blackouts I still had to try and heal my teammates and myself if I dont somebody would die and its game over for my team. I couldnt just "wait it out" I hope everyone understand. and smite hex doesnt work well either because usually I have multiple hex on me and the one I want to get rid of is usually not removed.

I'm Mo/N btw.

Torm Shadowbane
04-06-2005, 02:55
Relight what happened isn't your fault. I'd blame your team. If they knew what was happening to you and didn't come to your assistance it is their fault not yours. My best suggestion is to get people in your groups who have Monk Secondary to bring Convert Hexes. When the Mesmer's start gunning for you, alert your team and get those Hexes removed ASAP.

A lot of people seem to think that Monks are there to protect and save them, but quickly forget that Monks are more often than not defenseless if they come under assault. So Monks need just as much protection as everyone else in the team, if not more because of the vital role they play.

...and unfortunately because of the vital role they play in a team, they are most likely the first one to come under heavy assault. It's a catch-22.

toor
04-06-2005, 21:45
Take mesmer secondary and go with hex breaker. Thats the beginning of gg monks. In terms of mana I like having a team mate with Blood is Power.

Copious Teraflops
05-06-2005, 10:20
What I try to do is target the mesmer right away and watch for them to cast backfire, when they do I hit spellbreaker and usually I'm safe for a good fifteen seconds. A lot of time the mesmers will lose interest and get distracted by another target and I'm free to start protecting myself from everyone else at that point. :happy14:

Until they remember me... Hopefully they'll be under attack by then. If not it's my teams fault.

Rizzy
05-06-2005, 14:22
Monks defend themselves against Mesmers the same way I (mesmer) defend myself against Rangers and some Necros...

Run away :|

DutchSmurf
05-06-2005, 20:26
Monks defend themselves against Mesmers the same way I (mesmer) defend myself against Rangers and some Necros...

Run away :|

Since you can't keep your team alive if you run away, that won't work. Removing hexes or making it impossible to cast them is the best solution.

Jahoclave
07-06-2005, 18:06
Since you can't keep your team alive if you run away, that won't work. Removing hexes or making it impossible to cast them is the best solution.
And lets us not forget, running from a ranger isn't going to help you much. Especially if they're competent.

Pyro Gl
08-06-2005, 01:25
there is a protection spell that reverses damage for the next 10 seconds. (don't remember what it's called) that works well against backfire, you cast it and takke the 100 damage, but spam any spell and your back to full. kinda like the healing seed on empathy combo.