PDA

View Full Version : HELP ME PLEASE!(W/ME) Can't decide att points!

Vicious Veratias
03-06-2005, 22:44
I'm having trouble deciding as to where to place my points. I want 10 axe mastery for my chaos axe, 9 strength for my shadow shield and one of my friends whom is a lvl 20 told me to take out all the points out of my tactics, because what i really want is to be able to use my shields and axe and at the same time i want a good amount of points in my mesmer abilities...

The thing is i do not really want to take out the points out of my tactics, because if their is noone around to heal you, or you go soloing a lot of times it saves you. I'm focusing this char on PvP(at the moment im PvE and unlocking stuff before i head to PvP) but healing signet saves you from trouble especially 1on1 situations. Basically i want to be strong at self healing, mesmer abilities,strength and axe mastery... Is there a way i can have lots of attribute points in all of these? or will i have to decide to take stuff out... i really like domination and illusion spells a lot. i'm just not sure what to take out or whatnot. I don't want to waste refund points to find out it doesn't work. Please give me ya'lls idea on what i should do, and what would benefit me most when i get to PvP. Thanks a lot!

And i really do not want to take points out of tactics because then i can not heal myself with healing signet... to spread my attribute points over 5 areas is not the smartest but even with these points ive owned people in arena but eventually it makes my power less since i have to equal out almost everything, so i'd have a variable of skills but i'm guessing it only weakens me. I just can't decide which one to take attribute points out of! Illusion helps out a lot, because i can slow people down... I can use conjure phantasm and right before it ends BAM use remove hex for very nice damage. I love domination+illusion because it is a great combo for pvp. But if i take out from tactics i can't heal myself. I know in pvp ull have monks there to heal you BUT you can't ALWAYS rely on monks to heal you, because if they die, then you're screwed(not always but almost always...) Shall i take all my attribute points out of illusion,dom, or tactics? I can't decide. Please post on what would benefit me more when i get to PvP, thanks a lot!
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/Cr4zYFoO/gw002.jpg[/

Vicious Veratias
03-06-2005, 22:49
By what i said if the monk dies you're screwed. I only mean that if you're up against a little more enemies than usual and you need to be healed... If you can't heal yourself then you have to run our fight to the end but i want to be able to heal myself and let monks worry about others. it has saved me a lot. Backfire is a charm as other mesmers or elemnts,necs and whatnot love to use spells against warriors but they wouldn't expect to get backfired... sigh it's hard to choose what to give up and what to not give up... Any feedback would very much be appreciated!

Vicious Veratias
03-06-2005, 22:51
oh and btw my energy is actually 27 now that i bought a full set of gladiator armor

jvxmtg
03-06-2005, 23:57
I would find a shield that has Strength requirement instead of Tactics and don't even bother using Illusion since the skills are useless unless that attribute is maxed out. Put points into Domination instead and equip yourself with Shatter Enchantment, Cry of Frustration, and Blackout. Using these skills require excellent timing ability. You will dominate a one vs one against another Warrior.

You should only have point on Domination, Strength, and Axe Mastery. Dividing you points the way you have it, you're only wasting energy since each skill are less effective.

EDIT:
Oooops, I didn't notice that you are only level 14 :/

Tsume
04-06-2005, 07:20
I would recomend first and foremost, to use a shield with a tactics requirement instead of strength.

If you want Tactics, and its more important to you than Strength then use a Tactics shield instead of a strength one.

Now while you may be alright now, eventually you will not be able to have such an energy intensive lineup, and investing into 5 different Attribut branches will leave you a lil weak on most fronts. I would recommned dropping one of your spell lines. Use Axe Mastery and Tactics with this one spell line primarily. You can still have another attribute that is useful, such as Inspiration magic to compensate for the energy you need or Strength for the AP on attack skills. Tactics also has some great stances later like Bonettis, which can make your energy supply endless in most PvE situations, and you might like that with all your energy costing skills.

Now you dont have to drop both skill lines if you dont want to, but you definatlely need to take those points out of strength if you dont use it and pump up your preferred attribute. The Axe/Tactics/Illusion/Domination can work out fairly nice if I'm picturing it right, but you might be running into a situation where you have 0 energy I'm guessing, quite frequently. If that happens a lot you really should consider getting rid of a spell or two, or useing only one line of spells.

Vicious Veratias
05-06-2005, 00:17
I wish i read your post before i did what my guild mates helped me and told me to do. I took out all my points out of illusion and tactics cuz a friend gave me a shield:15 req 9 strength and axe require 10 axe mastery... when i do find a tactics shield ill take out the points out of strength and back in tactics so i can heal myself and maybe put some points back into illusion... i dunno should i be axemastery,tactics and dom or axemastery,tactics,dom& illusion or stay with my current one... axe mastery,strength,domination? Just sticking to 3 makes you a lot more powerful but way less versatile as to i HAVE to depend on monks to keep my hp up... really there are not that many axe strength skills so once i do find a very good tactics shield ill go back to tactics :happy34:

What do you think?

saeben
05-06-2005, 01:29
I run a w/me too. Lvl 15 Right now im runnin a hammer build so i got most of my points in hammer. the other points i switch around depending on what im doing.

If I'm solo and fighting things that melee i dump points in to tactics and a few in illusion. That way i can use the heal signet and distortion together as needed, then i switch to bontelli or wary stance. that way i can block most attacks.

Solo VS casters i usually kill em in a few hits so just use frenzy + a few attacks.

saeben
05-06-2005, 02:02
I run a w/me too. Lvl 15 Right now im runnin a hammer build so i got most of my points in hammer. the other points i switch around depending on what im doing.

If I'm solo and fighting things that melee i dump points in to tactics and a few in illusion. That way i can use the heal signet and distortion together as needed, then i switch to bontelli or wary stance. that way i can block most attacks.

Solo VS casters i usually kill em in a few hits so just use frenzy + a few attacks.

Jijimuge
05-06-2005, 03:55
I love domination and skills like shatter hex and blackout etc (as mentioned by jvxmtg), but I've noticed that, under your strategy of casting conjure phantasm and shatter delusions, your points in domination really aren't helping you.

This is because the 5 points you have in domination now could be put into illusion to give you an illusion score of 7 (if you use 3 of your spare attrib points) instead of 4.

How this would pan out -

Illusion 4 and domination 5
===================
Conjure phantasm lasts a total of 5 seconds, but lets say that (margin of error) you end it 1 second early with shatter delusions, meaning that phantasm inflicts a total of 4x5x2 = 40 damage. You then add the shatter damage onto that which is, at domination 5, 35 damage.

Total damage = 75. Casting time (total) = 2 seconds

Energy used : 15

Illusion 7
======
Conjure phantasm lasts a total of 8 seconds. You don't end it early, so it runs its full duration, inflicting a total of 8x5x2 = 80 damage

Total damage = 80. Casting Time = 1 second

Energy used :10

So what's the upshot of this? Pick *either* illusion *or* domination, but don't try to do both in your situation.

As illusion is more anti-melee and domination is more anti-caster, I'd say go for domination as casters will give you more trouble as a warrior than fighters. Casters are usually also more troublesome to the group as a whole.

As a whole I'd go for Axes, Tactics and domination and, instead of using distortion, would use (if I'm feeling *really* defensive) shield, defensive or wary stance until I get Bonnettis Defence going. If I were getting beaten on hard in an area and knew I'd be needing my healing signet, I'd probably switch any stance but Bonnettis for Disciplined Stance. That's 'cause disciplined stance is only disrupted by *adrenal* skills...

Vicious Veratias
07-06-2005, 00:08
Yea... i'm finally satisfied now. After trying out domination,strength, and axe mastery i was VERY disappointed... Yes i had my chaos axe... yes i had my armor:15... I was able to block out casters trying to damage me, and use empathy on warriors yet if there were 2 wars, 2 casters... i would not have enough energy to cast them all out, so i'd get jumped and eventually they would break their own hex then keeping pounding at me... If there was another mesmer on their team, then they would just shatter delusions off of their warrior if i empathized them which would hurt me big time, and at the same time i could not use healing sig if we did not have a monk... This is why originally i hesitated taking out tactics, because then you are TOO dependent on healers!

Instead now i run: Domination, Tactics, Axe Mastery.
I can now heal myself 100+ hp. I love to use heal signet while im being healed by a monk. If im below 50% and a monk has a running heal on me, i use heal sig BAM 100+ hp and at same time getting healed... I have an axe attack that does lots of dmg +20% armor penetration that is adrenaline, swift chop for only 5 energy, and execution strike adrenaline... These 3 deal lots of dmg. I have 4 mesmer skills that keep casters and meelee's off of me... Since i am a tank my usual tactic is to run in first, backfire their most powerful caster, monk being able to heal me but out of their zone, run back to the team... You then see the warriors chasing me to my side of the team and their monk is waiting for backfire to wear off or their most powerful caster. I usually add Power leak on them if they try to take it out for energy loss and interuption. These warriors get raped by the casters and if i have another warrior he covers me while i empathize that warrior which forces him to focus on the other warrior. I then pound at him and if he tries to use healing signet... BAM POWER LEAK ROFL! he falls loses energy and is cut off from his heal sig and dies a horrible death. I love w/me :happy34:

Saikyo
07-06-2005, 00:53
I then pound at him and if he tries to use healing signet... BAM POWER LEAK ROFL! he falls loses energy and is cut off from his heal sig and dies a horrible death. I love w/me :happy34:

Wait? Power leak on a healing sig? That doesn't sound right. I'm pretty sure power leak's description is for spells only.