PDA

View Full Version : Cry of frustration?

Gwyndion
04-06-2005, 13:25
I'm about to let one out myself, I've tried it on archer skills, warrior, elementalistsn monks and ele, and I think I've only interrupted one by chance, how does it work please? Doesn't everything in the skill bar count as a skill?

LimDul
04-06-2005, 13:40
Except for the Signets, yes.
You have to note though, that Cry of Frustration will only work if target foe IS USING a Skill (at the very monet Cry of Frustration is cast). You have to time it right - the target skill info bar isn't enough for that - you have to watch your foes carefully - then again it's hard to counter skills that have an instant or almost-instant casting time.
I assure you, that this skill works and if you use it right it is one of the more powerful interrupts in the game.

Gwyndion
04-06-2005, 13:47
I tried it on the longer cast spells, which take a few seconds, or must I do it exactly when the symbol gets solid?

Warskullx
04-06-2005, 16:01
Except for the Signets, yes.
You have to note though, that Cry of Frustration will only work if target foe IS USING a Skill (at the very monet Cry of Frustration is cast). You have to time it right - the target skill info bar isn't enough for that - you have to watch your foes carefully - then again it's hard to counter skills that have an instant or almost-instant casting time.
I assure you, that this skill works and if you use it right it is one of the more powerful interrupts in the game.

You just needs almost inhuman reflexes to get the most out of it. However it is a royal pain. Remember silently cursing to yourself everytime your party got hit by cry of frustration when fighting those wind riders near the wilds?

Gwyndion
04-06-2005, 17:16
No I didn't curse em, most of the time I killed em of before they could use it....

Samuel
04-06-2005, 20:20
I'm about to let one out myself, I've tried it on archer skills, warrior, elementalistsn monks and ele, and I think I've only interrupted one by chance, how does it work please? Doesn't everything in the skill bar count as a skill?
U can try migraine or arcane conundrum to make it easier to counter

LimDul
04-06-2005, 22:45
And Fast Casting does help too.

But yes - you need good reflexes and that's why Mesmers are mostly for experienced players - they can be VERY powerful if used correctly and nearly useless if used incorrectly. =)

Rekiem
04-06-2005, 22:55
Cry of Frustration is pretty crappy. The energy cost is high, the cooldown is high and the casting time is slow for an interrupt. Regular interrupt are 1/4 ans this one is 2/4.

LimDul
04-06-2005, 23:00
Well - I don't mean that I'm using it, but with the right Fast Casting value you can make it more effective.
I also strongly disagree that this is a crappy skill - it simply isn't. :-P
Use regular interrupts for some fast skills and Cry of Frustration when there are some Elementalists etc. who are preparing to cast a huge amount of spells. It is really nice to counter e.g. 3 Meteors at once. ;-)

Saikyo
05-06-2005, 04:09
Well - I don't mean that I'm using it, but with the right Fast Casting value you can make it more effective.
I also strongly disagree that this is a crappy skill - it simply isn't. :-P
Use regular interrupts for some fast skills and Cry of Frustration when there are some Elementalists etc. who are preparing to cast a huge amount of spells. It is really nice to counter e.g. 3 Meteors at once. ;-)

I agree, cry of frustration may have a high energy cost and a long recharge time, but that's only to balance out the fact that it can interrupt any SKILL as opposed to pretty much every other mesmer interrupt which only stops SPELLS. Add on to that the fact that it is an AoE interrupt and the 15 energy cost suddenly seems a lot cheaper for something that does that much.

As for the usage problems, I would suggest using the spell as soon as the symbol that signifies the casting of the spell/skill appears (as in while it is fading in). Since you only have to interrupt the casting of the spell, waiting until the symbol becomes solid pretty much means that the spell/skill has already been cast.

This of course is a problem since you want some time to tell which spell they are casting. That's the thing, you have to be familiar with a lot of different types of spells and their relative cast times. This is another reason mesmers require advanced players. In a lot of cases it's helpful to know how fast a spell/skill will cast before you try to interrupt it so that you don't waste the interrupt.

Nobleman Azure
05-06-2005, 09:22
Cry of Frustration is pretty crappy. The energy cost is high, the cooldown is high and the casting time is slow for an interrupt. Regular interrupt are 1/4 ans this one is 2/4.

1. If you notice, casters in 8v8 battles tend to stand pretty much close together, and this interrupts them all
2. The energy cost is high because it can interrupt any skill, EVEN SIGNETS. Signets are also considered skills
3. The casting time is slow but why the heck would you care if you have at least 8 points of FC on you. Unless you really are that bad on reflexes.

Feynt
05-06-2005, 10:07
All interrupts work by casting while the skill is still faded. The problem with trying to interrupt combat skills (like Final Thrust for instance) is they often occur in a fraction of a second. By the time you're aware of the skill being activated it's already over. You need a sort of precognition sense in order to interrupt combat skills. Expert R/Me (or opposite combo) interrupters can deny warriors of their combat skills half the time because when you fight, you tend to get into a rythmn. By learning and recognizing those rythmns for different characters, it becomes possible to completely shut them down (until the target catches on and breaks the cycle).

Gwyndion
05-06-2005, 11:58
K, guess i'll train it a bit, btw, I'm near ascension, and I'm a mainly a domination mesmer, mainly domination, 8 fast casting and a bit inspiration but I'm wondring when i ascend, should i become a ranger, since they got self heal, and they would compliment the mantras well, and a pet will be usefull, a monk for group heals, their smites, and res or a necro, for life draining and minnions? I think ME/R is the best, but since i'm new I'd like some advice

LimDul
05-06-2005, 18:14
It depends on what you will be using your character for. Pets and Minions in PvP? Good luck.

But a Me/R can be a REALLY good interrupter - the best in the game for that matter...

Saikyo
05-06-2005, 21:16
K, guess i'll train it a bit, btw, I'm near ascension, and I'm a mainly a domination mesmer, mainly domination, 8 fast casting and a bit inspiration but I'm wondring when i ascend, should i become a ranger, since they got self heal, and they would compliment the mantras well, and a pet will be usefull, a monk for group heals, their smites, and res or a necro, for life draining and minnions? I think ME/R is the best, but since i'm new I'd like some advice

Okay, here's my opinion on the class combos:

Me/R - Yes they do have a self healing spell which is nice and winter can complement mantra of frost very well. I can't say much more about this since I've never actually played ranger though.

Me/Mo - One of my personal favorites. Your healing will be sub-monk without divine favor so I prefer to go smiting since with fast casting you can get symbol of wrath out much faster. Balthazar's Aura is also a fun spell to echo, but watch your energy. Fast ressing is also very nice since it is more efficent most of the time for you to res than the monk (though make sure your monk knows you are resing people so they don't waste time).

Me/N - I'm not sure how effective minions are going to be without a necro primary. Soul Reaping is there so that you can get some energy return from your dead minions. It would be nice to be able to fast cast the minion summons though since you would beat those pesky computer necros who have perfect timing on corpse death. If you want to go minions I'd suggest investing in inspiration so you have the energy to keep summoning. Othewise go curses or degen since they both complement mesmer skills well.

tHrs
06-06-2005, 04:31
Cry of Fustration worked great when i fought the glint, 2 of my party had left and other 2 were henchies(protecter and healer), so we had 4 players and 2 henchies, i interrupted the glint almost everytime he tried to use his skill(using arcane echo), we only had one warrior that spent most part of the fight dead, seemed unkillable when i tried it with a 8 ppl party(was playing my monk)
He takes a while casting so its easy to interrupt
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/thrs0/glintdown.jpg

Gwyndion
06-06-2005, 19:38
So its between monk and ranger, self heal and fest res is cool, but ranger is temptng, though I need a few explenations

Determined Shot (availability)
Description: If Determined Shot hits, you strike for +3-15 damage. If Determined Shot fails to hit, all of your attack skills are recharged

Do mesmer spells count as attack skills, just WHAT counts as a skill btw?

Quickening Zephyr (availability)
Description: Create a level 1-8 Spirit. For creatures within its range, all skills recharge twice as fast as normal and cost 30% more energy to cast. This Spirit dies after 30-126 seconds.

Does this also affect mesmer spells?

Serpent's Quickness (availability)
Description: For 15-27 seconds, recharge times for your attack skills are reduced by 33%. Serpent's Quickness ends if your health drops below 50%.

Same as last question, these seem better alternatives or combos with mantra of recovery....