PDA

View Full Version : Battle Monk M/W build?

sensesfail
05-06-2005, 08:14
im trying to start a monk thats devoted to using melee weapons while using monk skills to heal and support the party. i know this might not be the smartest build but itll keep the game interesting.

Right now im getting creamed left and right.

CancerTen
05-06-2005, 09:53
the big problem with a monk/warrior is the lack of strength...
When making a m/w instead of a w/m, you need to play you the advantages of the character, so lets take a look.
By going M/W you LOSE:
-Strength attribute (lots of armor penetration)
-Health (in both raw form and from strength skills like endure pain)

You GAIN:
-Divine Favor
-Energy

Alright, i started this thinking why not a monk/warrior for fighting, but you know what, I think by taking monk primary you are giving up WAY too much and gaining almost nothing usefull to a fighter..... None of the divine favor skills significantly help you on the battlefield in any way which makes up for the lack of strength, and if your fighting you probably wont need the energy... good luck though but i dunno how its gonna go.

Prodigy Ming
05-06-2005, 21:33
you can take advantage of some protection skill to make up for the lost of armor and with the extra energy you can afford to spam out more healing and maybe some smiting skill during melee. there is one skill (forgot the name) let you do light damage which ignores armor... so I don't think you really need armor penatration.

CancerTen
06-06-2005, 06:54
you can take advantage of some protection skill to make up for the lost of armor and with the extra energy you can afford to spam out more healing and maybe some smiting skill during melee. there is one skill (forgot the name) let you do light damage which ignores armor... so I don't think you really need armor penatration.

Judges Insight makes your attacks holy and gives armor penetration equivalent to a whopping 20 points in strength, but that could be easily used on a w/mo instead of a mo/w to greater effect, because again a mo/w has very low life.

Epheno
06-06-2005, 08:52
I have a fully functional lvl 20 M/W that is extremely effective, especially with AOE. (520 hp with a rune and 40 energy)

My current attributes:

Smiting: 12
Healing: 12
Divine Favor:6

(I am in the process of completing the attribute quests)

The Problem you are going to have is that you want to melee. See, if you would rather melee, you are going to find yourself with little energy as smiting rods and such can offer you extra energy if you happen to come across a good one.

I know of only one sword in the game that only offers +5 energy, whereas my current rod has +10. So you may want to rethink the melee aspect if you wish to pursue this build.

My current skillset includes:

healing breeze
balthazar's aura
balthazar's spirit
smite
bane signet
banish
healing touch
symbol of wrath

With those skills, you can aggo a group and unleash the AOE's (symbol of wrath followed by balthazar's aura) and take them out relatively easily.

When I group for missions and am required to rez, I swap out the bane signet with rebirth as bane signet does the least damage of my offensives.

CancerTen
06-06-2005, 09:13
im trying to start a monk thats devoted to using melee weapons while using monk skills to heal and support the party. i know this might not be the smartest build but itll keep the game interesting.

Epheno, he wants a melee though. Smiting is best i find with warrior secondary, but nonetheless its not what he is looking for.

Epheno
06-06-2005, 12:50
Yah, I know ... I was making the point that melee and m/w don't mix and was using my smiting monk as an example.

hireath
06-06-2005, 13:10
I have a fully functional lvl 20 M/W that is extremely effective, especially with AOE. (520 hp with a rune and 40 energy)

My current attributes:

Smiting: 12
Healing: 12
Divine Favor:6

(I am in the process of completing the attribute quests)

The Problem you are going to have is that you want to melee. See, if you would rather melee, you are going to find yourself with little energy as smiting rods and such can offer you extra energy if you happen to come across a good one.

I know of only one sword in the game that only offers +5 energy, whereas my current rod has +10. So you may want to rethink the melee aspect if you wish to pursue this build.

My current skillset includes:

healing breeze
balthazar's aura
balthazar's spirit
smite
bane signet
banish
healing touch
symbol of wrath

With those skills, you can aggo a group and unleash the AOE's (symbol of wrath followed by balthazar's aura) and take them out relatively easily.

When I group for missions and am required to rez, I swap out the bane signet with rebirth as bane signet does the least damage of my offensives.

where are the warrior skills?

you might aswell have no secondary class there.

Mr Dead Wish
06-06-2005, 13:52

Mo is support so low armor health.
Smitting works best against dead things (double damage)

For melee I would use Wa/mo
For mo in would say elemantist or Mesmer good second profession.
mo/wa going into melee doubt that works.

Loquetus
06-06-2005, 17:59
mo/wa can go into meelee
high protection is needed though
prot bond (-2 energy/hit) + essecense bond (+1 energy/hit) and you'll get low amounts of dmge
throw in shielding hands when it's available and you'll be a great tank
when shielding hands is down, throw in mark of protection to let them heal you back to full health
when low on energy use bonetti's defense (you'll be back up to full energy in seconds)
so just a high protection skill will keep you alive vs most mobs
then you can decide what you want:
smiting or healing and then your fav weapon of choice (sword,axe,hammer)
healing can be usefull but seeing mark of protection and prot bond will cut down on the dmge healing isn't really needed that much
but smiting... smiting is a bit energy expensive
with prot bond etc on you it'll be hard to keep up balth's spirit
and symbol of wrath will just recharge really really slow (but judges insight pawns ^^)

if you combine shielding hands and prot bond you'll recieve low amounts of dmge
just watch out with hp degens if you go for smiting isntead of healing
although mend ailement/mend condition will save you alot (protecting)

if you are going to use healing prayers i suggest you use vigorous spirit on yourself (the +11 hp/attack you do will help self heal while not having to spend that much on healing orizon's

Brownie Crumbler Og
08-06-2005, 04:37
mo/wa can go into meelee
prot bond (-2 energy/hit) + essecense bond (+1 energy/hit) and you'll get low amounts of dmge
throw in shielding hands when it's available and you'll be a great tank
when shielding hands is down, throw in mark of protection to let them heal you back to full health
when low on energy use bonetti's defense (you'll be back up to full energy in seconds)
so just a high protection skill will keep you alive vs most mobs
then you can decide what you want:
smiting or healing and then your fav weapon of choice (sword,axe,hammer)
healing can be usefull but seeing mark of protection and prot bond will cut down on the dmge healing isn't really needed that much
but smiting... smiting is a bit energy expensive
with prot bond etc on you it'll be hard to keep up balth's spirit
and symbol of wrath will just recharge really really slow (but judges insight pawns ^^)

if you combine shielding hands and prot bond you'll recieve low amounts of dmge
just watch out with hp degens if you go for smiting isntead of healing
although mend ailement/mend condition will save you alot (protecting)

if you are going to use healing prayers i suggest you use vigorous spirit on yourself (the +11 hp/attack you do will help self heal while not having to spend that much on healing orizon's

great ideas but wheres the dgm coming from i mean this sounds like an advanced form of uber war//mo tank.... i dont see the difrence exept protection over and over and .........

Hui Juio
08-06-2005, 06:59
On the contrary IMHO M/W is a completely Viable spec

I have been playing a mon/war since the beginning.. AS well as a war/mon in order to compare. I feel that the war/mon is lacking a bit when it comes vs a mon/war. I have Tried and tested my *** off since I started and I have beated MANY war/mon in 1v1 duels (with blessinngs from both groups in the arena of course) and made many unbelievers... believe. I have duel my little monk arse off since 10+ War/R,R/W,War/E,War/me ect.. ect.. and I kno that a war/mon would have had alot tougher time than I in those duel.. war/ranger with poisen is a pain... a war/mon would not have had the power to keep thier life up, war necs.. Iv seen plenty of good war necs own war/mons.. lets face it its easier to degen than it is to regen.. and they get the benefit of regening while ur degening... agian the war/mon would not be albe to keep thier life up... with a mon.war you can afford to keep 2 or more perm enchants on urself and still have just as good regen as a war/mon.. plus stances such as bonetties defence to get ur life back up.. balths arura to get ur adren up to use styles = considerably more dmg.. +dmg weps while ench... well ur always enc soo +34% dmg why not? yeah yeah you lose armor.. shielding hands is a godsend.. you lose armor penetration.. that is still a downfall but it will only really be a pain vs a warrior primary. I can spam healing breeze and still have pow to spare. Divine Intervention far outways str IMHO, and personaly im a fan of tactics rather than str (though no good warrior should go without some str)

Mesmers you cry about.. yes they do make a mon primary life hell.. but you can beat them.. backfire? melee them.. empathy.. outheal it.. phantasm outheal it...

Not as much hp.. who cares you dont need it..
HEaling breeze (+6)
Reverse fortune
Executionares strike
Bonnetties defence
????? Axe style I 4get the name
Shielding hands
Mend
Vital blessing

Iv tanked a full grooup of war/?? before on this... easily.. infact I never dropped below 2/3 life.. now tell me that is not pretty nice.. "well what good does it do your group if you just tank and tahts it" well while all wars go for the mon primary .. your group just kills them.. they tried to kill me.. they couldnt and my group just killed them. I can kill using combo of adren and pow styles. No I dont hit as hard as a warrior but I can still hurt.

I made a mon./war because I was told it couldn't be done.. ppl it can.. mon/war does take more skill to play than a war.mon and is much more fun.

Im sorry for the poor format im on a laptop and its soooooo small so I just typed what I could..s orry for long rant but iv been waiting a longtime to prove mon/war is just as good if not better.. and in a pinch can be a healer where as a war/mon would not be able to keep up with pow. My words are starting to make no sense and im relly tired soo Gnight all sorry for the rant

Brownie Crumbler Og
12-06-2005, 20:32
On the contrary IMHO M/W is a completely Viable spec

I have been playing a mon/war since the beginning.. AS well as a war/mon in order to compare. I feel that the war/mon is lacking a bit when it comes vs a mon/war. I have Tried and tested my *** off since I started and I have beated MANY war/mon in 1v1 duels (with blessinngs from both groups in the arena of course) and made many unbelievers... believe. I have duel my little monk arse off since 10+ War/R,R/W,War/E,War/me ect.. ect.. and I kno that a war/mon would have had alot tougher time than I in those duel.. war/ranger with poisen is a pain... a war/mon would not have had the power to keep thier life up, war necs.. Iv seen plenty of good war necs own war/mons.. lets face it its easier to degen than it is to regen.. and they get the benefit of regening while ur degening... agian the war/mon would not be albe to keep thier life up... with a mon.war you can afford to keep 2 or more perm enchants on urself and still have just as good regen as a war/mon.. plus stances such as bonetties defence to get ur life back up.. balths arura to get ur adren up to use styles = considerably more dmg.. +dmg weps while ench... well ur always enc soo +34% dmg why not? yeah yeah you lose armor.. shielding hands is a godsend.. you lose armor penetration.. that is still a downfall but it will only really be a pain vs a warrior primary. I can spam healing breeze and still have pow to spare. Divine Intervention far outways str IMHO, and personaly im a fan of tactics rather than str (though no good warrior should go without some str)

Mesmers you cry about.. yes they do make a mon primary life hell.. but you can beat them.. backfire? melee them.. empathy.. outheal it.. phantasm outheal it...

Not as much hp.. who cares you dont need it..
HEaling breeze (+6)
Reverse fortune
Executionares strike
Bonnetties defence
????? Axe style I 4get the name
Shielding hands
Mend
Vital blessing

Iv tanked a full grooup of war/?? before on this... easily.. infact I never dropped below 2/3 life.. now tell me that is not pretty nice.. "well what good does it do your group if you just tank and tahts it" well while all wars go for the mon primary .. your group just kills them.. they tried to kill me.. they couldnt and my group just killed them. I can kill using combo of adren and pow styles. No I dont hit as hard as a warrior but I can still hurt.

I made a mon./war because I was told it couldn't be done.. ppl it can.. mon/war does take more skill to play than a war.mon and is much more fun.

Im sorry for the poor format im on a laptop and its soooooo small so I just typed what I could..s orry for long rant but iv been waiting a longtime to prove mon/war is just as good if not better.. and in a pinch can be a healer where as a war/mon would not be able to keep up with pow. My words are starting to make no sense and im relly tired soo Gnight all sorry for the rant

i thk if u throwe in judges insight u would do more than war... i thk this is already been stated but yeah .... +20% penetration.... almost double with max str from warr with out runes lol oh and umm in your oppionion or anybody elses is this more of a pvp or pve and how do u deal with rangers i have problems with my smiter... psn and stuff i have to resort to healing and by the time im haklf way healed they are fullyt and they take me down/...

lred
13-06-2005, 12:10
mo/wa can go into meelee
prot bond (-2 energy/hit) + essecense bond (+1 energy/hit)

Or use both essence bond and balthazars spirit to make protective bond zero energy cost. I use this a lot and i find it can often gain you energy (meaning either essence bond or balthazars spirit can give more then 1 energy per hit). With that many enchantmenst going blessed signet may come in handy, allowing for +12 energy every 12 seconds (that's with 4 enchantments).