PDA

View Full Version : My "farming" story

Digital Bath
06-06-2005, 11:37
Ok, well, I am not all for farming as it takes away from the game and I enjoy that, but after spening ~10k on that blasted Droknar Armor and other new items to suit up my warrior, I was, well, quite broke. I figured that as long as I spent all that money on the armor, I might as well get some use out of it and attempt to make it back today. Well, I did, but I also upgraded a shield, so ultimately I cam out better than where I was left yesterday, lol. Since about 2am-5am last night and 2pm-4am today, I have been farming a certain area that shall remain nameless. Thankfully after all this, I won't be needing to do it again for a while I hope.

Anyway, I would like to share some tendencies I did find. The best way I can compare what happened was like MFing in D2, if any of you did that. Some runs would yield a yellow or 2 and 3 purple, others nothing at all. Anyway, point being is that there were "hot" and "cold" spells. This area I am "farming" has a tendency to drop runes like mad, so making money was is kinda hard. I was able to salvage over 500 tannded hide squares though, lol. Think I am set on those for life.

Well, a little while ago, I decided to collect 20 unidentified items then ID them. They were 3 blue, 5 yellow, and 12 purple (20 because that's the size of the inventory and comparing statistics is easier). This took approximately 2-2 1/2 hours to complete. I was going for consistency more than anything, and that's what I got. Might be a little slower than other farmers out there, but oh well. Now here is where it starts to get sad :( Out of the 5 yellows, 4 were sup and 1 was major (sup blood mastery, smiting, expertise, marksmanship, 1 major domination). Out of all 20 items I salvaged, I mananged to get runes from 10 of them (I lost ALL but the Sup Smiting from the gold items btw, *tear tear tear*). I am kinda going on that it's a 50/50 chance to salvage items, although that is not the highest amount of #'s to compare. I would say, however, that I have ~50% of the runes that I have found, maybe more along the lines of 65%. So, you have a 50% chance to be successful and can get on a lucky streak so to speak, then break more than average.

This is from 2 days of "farming." That is all I have, but do keep in mind I should have at least 20 more that were lost. If I kept up this pace for a week, imagine how many runes I would have (I could very well do that, and am kinda tempted to; gotta make money somehow for all 4 chars I play :P).Now imgaine if everyone did it at this pace. Eek! :eek: Oh well, just felt like sharing and kinda venting that I lost those 3 sup runes cause that made me sad :(.

*edit* Had to edit the picture so I don't give away my location too easily

http://img106.echo.cx/img106/1313/roonz7mh.jpg

Mr Dead Wish
06-06-2005, 11:46
Strange I never farm, never buy or sell except to traders.

Mostly give away weapons, runes and I get by with my 3 chars.

Currently running around 20/30 k on all chars together.

Personally I find farmin a waste off time :surprise:

But hey that is just my approach :rolleyes: .

Digital Bath
06-06-2005, 11:50

I never usually do, but after making my Warrior I wanted to give it a go. It has been a good way to unlock a lot of items, I can say that much. It was fun doing that too, as I got to test out some various builds I had in mind and I also earned a skill pt, lol. Yes, I gained 1 skill pt from monsters giving me 16exp a pop, and this is the second skill pt I have earned. You math people do that math out there as to how many monsters I killed if you really care that much, lol. I really think I have enough things now to get back to work on my other characters and be well off for a while. I'll farm more though for fun.

donut time
06-06-2005, 11:54
I know where that is!! :D

no..nevermind..

hireath
06-06-2005, 12:02

how do you plan on unlocking stuff for a pvp char?

anyway, i started farming this spot a few days ago and farmed about 3-4 hours a day. i found:

2 x Superior Vigor
3+ x Major Vigor
2 x Superior Illusion
2 x Superior Swordsmanship
1 x Superior Axe
1 x Superior Protection
1 x Superior Smiting
1 x Superior Marksmanship
1 x Superior Fire
1 x Superior Air

and many more superiors which i sold to the merchant.

basically i only keep the ones which i think i am likely to use on a future RP char. i sold them to merchant to save myself time and inventory space, plus i dont exactly need the gold. when farming in the correct location you can pick up at least 10k an hour... any time spent trading you could be farming and find another load of superior runes.

i dont even bother to salvage minor or major runes, i think i have unlocked them all previously anyway.

Digital Bath
06-06-2005, 12:10
Let's not start a "who can farm best" thread and hijack it to there. I was also kinda hoping my #'s, from what I found salvaging the runes, are about what everyone else gets. As for getting 10k an hr, I dunno about that anymore. From what I have heard, and from friends I have talked to, a lot of place aren't dropping as much gold as they one were. Hit with the nerf stick so to say.

Digital Bath
06-06-2005, 12:12
I know where that is!! :D

no..nevermind..

LoL, quiet you! It really isn't all that hard to know where I am if you went off exploring and put this place on your map. :D

Garumn
06-06-2005, 12:14
Looks like riverside province

liuzgsanda
06-06-2005, 12:18
Looks like riverside province
And u shall be toasted for letting out the secret!!! :love19:

furybladex
06-06-2005, 12:20
i already know what place that is... teh sad part is that when i went there Lord Malikaii is still standing there at that exact spot!!! LOL

Garumn
06-06-2005, 12:21
its actually alos good for gold if you dont farm Hill giants, it would be easy to get quite a bit of gold off nonarmored critters

Furion Foehammer
06-06-2005, 12:22
Hey Digital :howdy:

I know which place this is and have been farming it too, but I have never seen a Superior Rune or even a major yet, but have seen lots of minors and lots of purple and gold weapons. But if what u are reporting is all from this one location, then I am relieved to know that it is indeed possible to get those drops from there and I shall increase my farming timeslots from 1/2 hour every alternate day to about an hour or two until I unlock some useful superiors and majors. Thanks for the info and the pic. It is very reassuring :happy14:

Furion Foehammer :winking47
PS: I have the same build E/Mo as you that I use for this spot with identical skills except for the second one. Can u tell me the name of that skill please.... anyone ??

Furion Foehammer
06-06-2005, 12:26
i already know what place that is... teh sad part is that when i went there Lord Malikaii is still standing there at that exact spot!!! LOL

This is true :happy53: I also am there right now and he is still standing there :lol:

Furion :winking47

chrystianek
06-06-2005, 12:43
there is a better farming spot but doing it with anything than w/mo is HARD(altho my guild memmbers are able to do it)

how about 260K gold in 2.5 day juast from runes trades

this is how u do it

ui use salvage kit(expert one) on the purple/gold item
than u id it if its superior(especialy if its warior)
or u can sell unided runes(u will know for what class are they)-u get quite a bit i was selling 15-16 unided majors for +/- 40k

but u can get 75-100k for sup vigor so its not bad

for those who know the spot-good luck
and lets hope arena will leve it alone :D

BreeZeyTreefrog
06-06-2005, 12:46
malikaii is still there...

Raved
06-06-2005, 12:55
Beetletun.

hireath
06-06-2005, 15:08
Let's not start a "who can farm best" thread and hijack it to there. I was also kinda hoping my #'s, from what I found salvaging the runes, are about what everyone else gets. As for getting 10k an hr, I dunno about that anymore. From what I have heard, and from friends I have talked to, a lot of place aren't dropping as much gold as they one were. Hit with the nerf stick so to say.

im not saying i can farm better...

i am just saying that i am good at farming (74% luck + 26% determination).

hireath
06-06-2005, 15:09
there is a better farming spot but doing it with anything than w/mo is HARD(altho my guild memmbers are able to do it)

how about 260K gold in 2.5 day juast from runes trades

this is how u do it

ui use salvage kit(expert one) on the purple/gold item
than u id it if its superior(especialy if its warior)
or u can sell unided runes(u will know for what class are they)-u get quite a bit i was selling 15-16 unided majors for +/- 40k

but u can get 75-100k for sup vigor so its not bad

salvage it into leather squares - you dont unlock...

that suxx

lred
06-06-2005, 15:27

When i do farm it's just a few short runs. I'd get bored doing the same thing for hours. So i gues i'm not really a farmer, but an occasional solo hunter.
I have some 30k between my 3 chars (totaling 400+ hours), and that's plenty for me.

However, i have not found any superior rune, a few major runes and only 2 mediocre gold items that i use. I'm also somewhat disapointed that of all the melee weapon upgrades the vast majority is hammer and axe - useless to my sword warrior. Trading for what i need is not an option, i find that even more boring then farming, and very annoying because of the all the spam. I also don't enjoy selling very much, so most of the items i find that are theoretically usefull to someone, are wasted.

So I guess that's what you get for not stepping on the farming treadmill.

No matter how much AN nerfs farming areas, there will always be people who don't mind farming, and due to nerfing it will become ever harder to get decent items for those who don't farm.
I really wonder if AN intents it to be this way.

lred
06-06-2005, 15:35
and many more superiors which i sold to the merchant.
Proves my point: you pretty much *have* to farm-grind to be competative in PvP. So much for the grindless game.

Hells Demon
06-06-2005, 15:36
My suggestion dont talk about farming on the boards or they will nerf everyspot you find aka keep it to ourself

Lord Gargoyle
06-06-2005, 15:38
My suggestion dont talk about farming on the boards or they will nerf everyspot you find aka keep it to ourself

you forgot to put on your tinhat for good measure while surfing the boards.

Hells Demon
06-06-2005, 15:39
ok fine forum you win i knew some one was gunna catch that

ReZon
06-06-2005, 15:40
Even if no one ever talked about farming anywhere, they would still be able to determine where the most used instances are. . .

Hells Demon
06-06-2005, 15:41
True.......

Hades the Terrible
06-06-2005, 16:07
Plus, not saying where you farm just means that only a select few have most of the wealth. So that means you will have to pay THEIR very high prices in order to get anything.

That area by the way is Beetlerun and I can vouch for it's awsomeness. Kill the Tengu and the Ettins and runes you will get.

Loquetus
06-06-2005, 16:14
riverside and beetletun give good minor runes
also a few good places to farm after ascenscion for runes found a few purple and a bunch of blue
to bad 66% of all purples i've found turned out to be minor runes

after i gathered enough runes i just went to ascalon and tried to give away all my minor runes for free
nobody even wanted them :-/
i went to yak's bend and there people were glad to get free runes (and some free necro staffs i had left)
i gave away over 20 minor runes for free
some people paid some gold others didn't
some didn't even say thanks :(
but most did :D
i don't need runes for my pve char
i just need to id runes to unlock them for pvp
but after trying several times to get people to sell me unid'd runes (even saying they can have back the runes i have id'd) and failing to find a single person willing i just gave up and now i'm just farming for runes myself

while farming i've captured a few elite skills which is always nice
got ele and monk elite spells ^^
almost got warrior elite but after 10 minutes when the boss finally used the shout (which didn't come up in skill window) a nice foe decided to use knockdown on me => skill capture cancelled :@
after that the boss got killed

*edit*
outside of droknar's forge
just note: pretty much impossible to solo for a warrior cause of constant blind
really needs an anti knockdown constantly
an ele with wards against meelee will get his *** whooped by the casters
so it's really more like team farming
1 monk / 1 warrior
monk using healing seed, vig spirit and mend ailement
or an ele/monk with wards against meelee and armour of earth etc

Digital Bath
06-06-2005, 23:11
You could always take the Dolyak Sig with you which prevents knockdown and adds armor. As for the blind, bleh forget it. If they are archers, then they will be constantly using Throw Dirt even if you as a warrior uses mend ailment.

As for that spot, I don't go after the Tengus. I think they are just too annoying to kill. The damn Tengu Wilds shatter all my enchats then using Conjure on me, not something that I apprciate all that much. And yes, those runes I got were all from the same place. Add 5 more Sups that I lost, 10 more majors, and 15 more minors and you'd have all the runes I had. I am actually giving them away now to people on my buddy list that needs them. I could try and sell some, but meh, people don't really want runes anymore. People want items, so finding a ton of runes for myself to use is quite ok with me. It saves me a bit of money. :D

Xiang Yu of Chu
07-06-2005, 13:02
I once had obtained an item and some message said:' Vampiric axe shaft unlocked' and on another occasion 'minor rune of ..... unlocked'. However I did not get the shaft nor the rune, does it mean I have to salvage the items to get them? I think I sold those two items already :(

Warskullx
07-06-2005, 14:36

My theory on fixing farming is give PvP a method to get cool stuff too.

Q: Why do I farm?
A: To get stuff for PvP, I could care less about what I use in PvE

If I got items playing PvP I would have no reason to farm.

Digital Bath
07-06-2005, 19:33
Well to let all of you know, I checked the spot last night and it has already been nerfed. It took less than 24 hours for that to happen too, so ANet must really have an agressive stance against people farming. I don't see why, as it can be a fun and nice break from the normal part of the game. What they have done is decrease the # of purple and gold items that fall and increase the # of gold and other salvagealbe items, AND increase the rate of attack for said monsters. I noticed that I was taking a lot more dmg, but they were dealing the same amount out. I then noticed they were using a certain attack a lot more and healing themselves less.

Epametheus
07-06-2005, 21:45
Most of the farming area "nerfs" seem to involve ANet either (a) nerfing the loot on monsters that aren't strong enough to merit the drops they give (like the Hill Giants) and/or (b) increasing the strength of monsters that are slain far too easily for creatures of their level (like the Flesh Golems).

This is really more like ANet making some balance fixes than ANet trying to screw over the user population.

Pretty much any area where you can get fantastic rewards for minimal effort or risk is an oversight, and can be expected to be modified in the near future.

Digital Bath
07-06-2005, 22:32
Most of the farming area "nerfs" seem to involve ANet either (a) nerfing the loot on monsters that aren't strong enough to merit the drops they give (like the Hill Giants) and/or (b) increasing the strength of monsters that are slain far too easily for creatures of their level (like the Flesh Golems).

This is really more like ANet making some balance fixes than ANet trying to screw over the user population.

Pretty much any area where you can get fantastic rewards for minimal effort or risk is an oversight, and can be expected to be modified in the near future.

Ahh yes, but the place I was farming, you actually took a decent amount of dmg in a short period of time. These monsters were stronger than hill giants and 5 lvls lower than them. It is more fun going there now because there is more of a fear I might die, but that's all the real fun in going now. :happy34: