PDA

View Full Version : Me/E Need help new to game!

Yarel
07-06-2005, 01:32
Ok so I'm totally new to the game and understand very little.

I looked through the characters and the one that appealed to me the most was mesmer.

I donít particularly want to be a support character so I have started this build but I'm not sure how desired I would be in groups as everybody seems to want the cookie cutter air elem spike builds.

Ok the plan is to have 10 points in fast casting and mantra of recovery. I intend to use several lighting skills that work together for high damage and blindness to stop warriors.

With this I intend to use domination magic skills like, Backfire , Empathy, and Guilt to destroy their casters.

So how does that sound, would groups want me or would I just be shunned as a crack pot mesmer who wishes he were an elementalist or warrior?

Also I have not got a clue about where to put my points to help me level so far I am building my domination skills and have very little in anything else.

Saikyo
07-06-2005, 01:52
Ok so I'm totally new to the game and understand very little.

I looked through the characters and the one that appealed to me the most was mesmer.

I donít particularly want to be a support character so I have started this build but I'm not sure how desired I would be in groups as everybody seems to want the cookie cutter air elem spike builds.

Ok the plan is to have 10 points in fast casting and mantra of recovery. I intend to use several lighting skills that work together for high damage and blindness to stop warriors.

With this I intend to use domination magic skills like, Backfire , Empathy, and Guilt to destroy their casters.

So how does that sound, would groups want me or would I just be shunned as a crack pot mesmer who wishes he were an elementalist or warrior?

Also I have not got a clue about where to put my points to help me level so far I am building my domination skills and have very little in anything else.

Okay a few things

-Mesmers are fairly advanced classes to play. There is no problem with starting out as one, but be aware that there will be a steeper learning curve than for other classes.

-If you don't want to be a support character... Well then you are playing the wrong game. Mesmer's CAN solo, but they really excell as support characters. In fact I think that for most of Guild Wars, EVERYONE is a support class. The focus of this game is teamwork not individual overpowering builds. If you don't want to be support then I recommend you choose another class, but be warned that even the warriors and elementalist are support in some way.

-Mesmers aren't always wanted in parties because there is a good chunk of the player base that don't understand how good they are. You won't be shunned for being a crackpot, but you might be shunned for not being a monk or a warrior or an elementalist, which seem to be the most popular classes for parties at the moment.

-If you are new to the game, you won't get mantra of recovery until VERY LATE in the game. It's fine to want to base your build off of this, but I just want to warn you that you won't get the skill for a while.

- Finally, domination is nice for taking out casters, if that's what you want to do then go for it. Illusion magic is more for taking out warriors.

Tsume
07-06-2005, 10:03
Welcome to the forums Yarel.

The problem you will have with that type of build lies in your energy reserves.

You'll have to come up with some way to combat the extra energy you will need to be very offensive with the ele side of things, otherwise you will have to stick to only cheap cost spells like Strike.

As for Mesmers not being openly accepted into parties at the time, well such was the case in the very first Beta when it was open to the public. People didn't understand the class, and it didn't really become popular amongst the public becuase so few understood how to use them, and can't comprehend a build based not on damage. You will notice even here on the Mesmer forums, many many builds are devoted to damage. That is just the nature of things. Over time many players will come to understand the power of the Mesmer, and appreciate its value. Rarely will you see one missing from a PvP team as people know they are needed to combat casters.

Over time the false pretenses of 'damage pwns all' will fade away, and logic and careful planning will take its place. With most of us anyhow. Many players simply will always be best suited to play a Warrior or Elementalist who cares only about damage.

Yarel
07-06-2005, 19:17
By not support I mean I want to be the guy dishing the pain, obviously I canít do that if I donít have a good team backing me up. This is not a pure attack build though as it centres on hampering casters whilst blinding the warriors. I'm correct in thinking that I can change my second profession later on; if so I may try out monk and make a build centred on counter caster magic and fast cast battle resing.

I knew energy would be a problem but I thought that perhaps guilt or some other similar skill could help with that.

However I would really like to know where to put my attributes early on just to help with levelling, it is kind of overwhelming at the moment :)

I picked this game because there is such a breadth of strategy in character design, the ease of levelling will mean that I can try out countless characters/builds/roles. The only reason I donít want to be pure support on my first run through is that I am used to playing healer classes and I want to try something completely different. Mesmer just sounded cool, illusion, trickery and manipulation magic for the win!