PDA

View Full Version : 3rd level tactics

Blue Blue
07-06-2005, 03:10
I have not gotten very far into the HoH, every time my group loses at the obelisk battle. What strategy do people here use, as a group? Straight into the fray, or hold back, defending the preist? Mystery!

Torm Shadowbane
07-06-2005, 08:43
Well as soon as the door opens up we send one person out there to the Obelisk. We then wait a few seconds to watch for the enemy teams move. If they come charging toward us we charge toward them, to avoid a battle at our Priest. Combat ensues. Watch the timer. Their Priest should be dead ASAP to avoid having them res. Normally, after the first person has fallen and things get a bit chaotic, two or three sneak off to strike at their Priest. One or two things happen after that. They either rush for our Priest or they rush back to defend their own. If they rush back to defend their own, have everyone focus on the priest, take him out, then finish off their group. If they rush for your priest... you are faced with a tuff choice. Abandon YOUR priest to death to take out theirs, or run back and save yours.

Normally if I am playing my monk I tell the group to finish killing off their priest and I rush back to try and save ours. Although every combat situation is different. Really, all I can say... use your best judgment. Avoid fighting at your priest if you can. Try and battle near obelisk's you control for the little extra damage. That's pretty much what my teams do, and... well... my teams normally suck like most Pick Up Groups. :p

this_barb
07-06-2005, 10:21
Well as soon as the door opens up we send one person out there to the Obelisk. We then wait a few seconds to watch for the enemy teams move. If they come charging toward us we charge toward them, to avoid a battle at our Priest. Combat ensues. Watch the timer. Their Priest should be dead ASAP to avoid having them res. Normally, after the first person has fallen and things get a bit chaotic, two or three sneak off to strike at their Priest. One or two things happen after that. They either rush for our Priest or they rush back to defend their own. If they rush back to defend their own, have everyone focus on the priest, take him out, then finish off their group. If they rush for your priest... you are faced with a tuff choice. Abandon YOUR priest to death to take out theirs, or run back and save yours.

Normally if I am playing my monk I tell the group to finish killing off their priest and I rush back to try and save ours. Although every combat situation is different. Really, all I can say... use your best judgment. Avoid fighting at your priest if you can. Try and battle near obelisk's you control for the little extra damage. That's pretty much what my teams do, and... well... my teams normally suck like most Pick Up Groups. :p

Actually if you can properly maintain the priest, he's just another monk to heal you up ^_^.

Defense is much more advantageous than offense because you're much closer to your res point.

Taylor Polynomial
07-06-2005, 15:33
Being close to your res point only matters if your priest is alive. And if you're fighting at your priest, you have less room to dodge out of AoE spells. I'm not saying it's bad, I've won many fights at my priest, but I don't think it's as black and white as you say.

Torm Shadowbane
07-06-2005, 15:37
Well the disadvantage to that is that it's much harder to make a push for their Priest. At least if you engage them somewhere near the middle or at their base, if things start going badly you can always hope that the surviving team mates can hold off the enemy team long enough for the two minute resurrection.

I don't like having to defend the priest, it's almost always easier (at least for me) to force the opposing team to defend theirs. Although I always discourage the group from traveling too far from their priest. Mostly so we can make it back to defend him if we need to, and secondly to pull enemy teams away from their priest.

I've actually spent 10-15 minutes just standing at our Obelisk waiting for one of the two surviving teams to make their move.

Other tactics I've used when there is more than one surviving team is to have the party engage one team then make a move toward one of the surviving teams. Then retreat. About 60% to 70% of the time those teams will engage giving us time to pick off their priest, keep an eye out for who is winning, then re-enter the battle to kill off the weakest team (so they don't run away or res during battle), followed by us attacking the remaining team who have been weakened by battle.

I enjoy the "Defend your Shrine" Maps. I just hate the King of the Hill/Altar maps. I always do poorly on those. :(