PDA

View Full Version : Best or Preferred Combination professions

jakatak
12-06-2005, 05:20
Hey Guys,
Just wanted to get your opinions on 1st / 2nd profession matchups that have been working for you.

I'm currently using a W/R, which i like being in the action, but the whole ranger part seems like a mistake, kinda contradicting.

1. Anyone have a better combo w/ Warrior as 1st profession?
and
2. Thinking of creating another char (other than warrior), any ideas of good matchups?

AlsPals
12-06-2005, 05:33
Wo/Mes
gladiators armor(80AP)
max jeweled chackaram
any random sword with pommel of enchanting
Max dmg cane for secondary weap

12 illusion magic
10 domination
0 strength
0 swords
6 tactics

flurry
illusionary weaponry
blackout
inspired enchantment
sprint
rez signet
healing signet
diversion

510 health(minor vigor rune)
40 energy

Owns in the arenas,GvG, Tombs, but really exercises your skills for energy management, sux if illusionary weaps gets dispelled, and the diversion can be subbed for distortion/backfire/inspired hex. decent for PvE, but nothing special. thy this, and you will show Wo/Mos what to do with their enchantments and low DMG(oh wait, i steal their enchants,lol) and it locks down casters, one at a time. Im trying to find a better spell, but the 2 i want would require that i sack the weaponry, so be on the lookout fo r the most annoying war youve ever fought in the GI JOES guild. Following build was for a char named balthor payne. Look me up.

Illusionists
12-06-2005, 05:38
The best Warrior second class is Monk (Tons of flames flying toward me), but that doesn't mean Ranger second is not good.

The easiest is probably Apply Poison + Cyclone Axe. Since you put points into wilderness survival u'll be able to heal better too (free from healing signets). Obviously this will poison all targets around u.

Considering petting and bow attacks do not fit the warrior's tiny energy pool, you can consider using nature rituals, stances, and preparations. All of those things would rock. I personally think Warrior + anything would work except Elementalist.

AlsPals
12-06-2005, 05:40
The best Warrior second class is Monk (Tons of flames flying toward me), but that doesn't mean Ranger second is not good.

The easiest is probably Apply Poison + Cyclone Axe. Since you put points into wilderness survival u'll be able to heal better too (free from healing signets). Obviously this will poison all targets around u.

Considering petting and bow attacks do not fit the warrior's tiny energy pool, you can consider using nature rituals, stances, and preparations. All of those things would rock. I personally think Warrior + anything would work except Elementalist.

Ele can work, but im thinking air secondary and an off hand item that adds energy instead of a sheild. otherwise, look at the above post^-^
:p

AlsPals
12-06-2005, 05:42
Oh, another thing is a monk secondary is good is unamaginative becuase i dont see anyone using self buffs, only protections. i would use judges insight and that other spell(at max add +8) to pwn, not sit with a mending.

Illusionists
12-06-2005, 05:44
Wo/Mes
gladiators armor(80AP)
max jeweled chackaram

12 illusion magic
10 domination
0 strength
0 swords
6 tactics

flurry
illusionary weaponry
blackout
inspired enchantment
sprint
rez signet
healing signet
diversion

40 energy

Owns in the arenas,GvG, Tombs, but really exercises your skills for energy management, sux if illusionary weaps gets dispelled, and the diversion can be subbed for distortion/backfire/inspired hex. decent for PvE, but nothing special. thy this, and you will show Wo/Mos what to do with their enchantments and low DMG(oh wait, i steal their enchants,lol) and it locks down casters, one at a time. Im trying to find a better spell, but the 2 i want would require that i sack the weaponry, so be on the lookout fo r the most annoying war youve ever fought in the GI JOES guild. Following build was for a char named balthor payne. Look me up.

OMG I KNEW someone is going to bring the IW build... sigh...

As Mesmer master myself I'll tell you that it won't work out as nicely as you think, because:

W/Me
- You don't have a lot of mana to go around all the mesmer skills. IW costs 15 points, that leaves u with 12 and you got half the regen as normal casters although you get better armor
- You don't really have a good heal
- You are highly relying on one single enchantment for damage. But first, IW requires recast. Second, it can be removed. In PvP you will NEVER be able to use IW... at least not in front of me anyways.
- You are highly relying on energy. Again due to warrior's tiny energy pool it can be easily denied
- IW doesn't give you adrenaline, plus it doesn't really make you *hit*. So u can kiss all your warrior skills goodbye, such as Hamstring, for example, you cannot cripple with IW because u r not actually hitting.

Tall Leprechaun
12-06-2005, 05:49
The thing with monk's spells is that they're usually very energy efficient and quick casting. Plus it has Mending. A warrior can just put Mending and run all over the place. It makes perfect sense with Sprint. Don't forget Balthazar's spirit. Give back Energy and Adrenaline? Come on, what other class benefits from Adrenaline?

TheNug
12-06-2005, 05:56
there's nothing wrong with a w/mo. it might be hated for being a cookie cutter class but there's a reason why it's so popular. does great pve, so so pvp, and a great farmer although anet has added more enchant removers to the more popular farming spots.

w/monk
w/necro
w/mesmer
w/elementals

are all fine.

yea a W/R doesn't seem like it has a lot of skill options.

Tall Leprechaun
12-06-2005, 06:27
A fresh start? Try a Monk. Everyone wants one, but not everyone has one.

jakatak
12-06-2005, 06:32
Yeah with W/R, not too many ranger skills complement the Warrior. Especially pet, (very annoying in later lvls)

would there be a compliment for Warrior as 2nd profession?
meaning, would warrior as 2nd be a waste since really ur 1st profession is primary? ('cause ultimately warrior is the only one in the midst of battle)

glittersores
12-06-2005, 06:52
For PvP?

W/R

Frozen Soil

afool
12-06-2005, 06:52
:( i like W/R...

apply poison(+ cyclone axe), troll ungent(then RUSH), lightnign reflexes(then cast troll ungent when it ran out), Melandru's Resilience(when you just keep gettign poisoned, crippled and bleeding, then a bunch of mesmers show up)... all great ranger skills to use as warrior :P.

Currently I'm using:

- Cyclone axe
- Executioner's style
- Penetrating blow
- power attack
- endure pain (wish was defy pain)
- watch your self (if i had defy pain then this would be apply poison)
- Lightning reflexes
- troll ungent

sathanas
12-06-2005, 09:13
I like my warrior nec. All i use is Mark of Pain, it's fun to watch a group of 6 snow ettins drop in an instant.

Buckiller
12-06-2005, 09:35
You could make lots of stuff with secondary warrior, just make the warrior high in tactics and poof...your a tanker. (good for monks, since they get targeted a lot, but any ranged would do)

Hanuman Li Tosh
12-06-2005, 22:10
wow, i love warrior ranger. i was using my dune lizzard to cause bleeding then gash, that was a sweet combo. i got rid of that for my guild's diversity tho.

my current character is N/W. L20 with 185 points. I use a zealous chaos axe of fortitude, and tormentors 61. I have a build for several occasions. i also keep a almost max damage firey dragon sword (15-21) that has a req 7. this way i can lower my weapon score and raise my death.

i use dismember, axe rake, axe twist, life syphon, shadow strike, animate bone fiend, rez sig. this way i can hit a warrior with 2 life draining spells before he even hits me once. then i hit w/axe untill adrenaline kicks in and cripple his/her butt. that warrior is now a sitting duck. sometimes i use vamp touch instead of shadow strike.

when i am pve'ing with my guild i throw on blood well and blood ritual.

when doing pve i usually replace either cripple or weaken with cyclone axe for attacking multiple targets.

and of course i have an all minion build with soul feast for me and blood of the master for them.

i also carry a bone staff and a chest scar pattern for if i start to die. i can drop back and enjoy en extra 3 mana.

Scyfer
12-06-2005, 22:17
R/Me - if it's not the most popular ranger combo, it should be :D Interruptus Maximus.

Rikutian
12-06-2005, 22:32
Necro / Monk is quite fun, although I dunno if you want to heal XP;

Life Transfer (Elite); 11 seconds, +7 Regen, Life Siphon; 22 seconds, +3 regen, Healing Breeze +7 Regen, +17 regen, and you can add life siphon to other targets at the same time more regen, just fun to drain them all :D

GADefence
12-06-2005, 22:36
My PvP warrior is mostly a support warrior.

Ice Prison
Power Attack
Warrior's Endurance (elite, and for those of you who complain about the warrior's energy problem. . .)
Fear me!
Watch yourself!
Ressurection Signet
I Will Avenge You!
Armor of Mist

Metagenki
12-06-2005, 22:38
For PvP?

W/R

Frozen SoilThat's only good if you're the one already winning.

Two_Rivers
12-06-2005, 22:51
Right now I have a warrior/elementalist, using a sword with a fire hilt. Conjure flames + frenzy = lots of damage fast. Also lava fount is a excellent fast cast (relatevly cheap) spell for when you are in the thick of things. My only grip is that i am kind of relient on the monk when facing casters. At lvl 16 I can solo 2 lightning drakes.

Dyllan Icewalker
12-06-2005, 22:51
Haven't tried this out myself yet, but:

R/W :)
Deck him out with some dragonscale armour & greater conflagiation(?) & poof: instant armour (ranger suddenly had 30 more armour then warriors :happy34: )

Then choppitychop with the sword.....

glittersores
12-06-2005, 22:58
That's only good if you're the one already winning.
Don't have much experience with losing. It's mainly for keeping people you kill dead. :)

But yeah, if all you do is die, it's uhm fairly useless, sorry about that. :happy34:

I myself have a freakish obsession with mesmers. I have a RP Me/N20 which I use for PvP. I'm considering building a Me/W from the ground up...they are so fun.

Okay, and yeah...I want 15k rogues armour. :happy05:

Ragnar Darkan
12-06-2005, 23:01
Hey Guys,
Just wanted to get your opinions on 1st / 2nd profession matchups that have been working for you.

I'm currently using a W/R, which i like being in the action, but the whole ranger part seems like a mistake, kinda contradicting.

1. Anyone have a better combo w/ Warrior as 1st profession?
and
2. Thinking of creating another char (other than warrior), any ideas of good matchups?

For PvE Cyclone Axe with Apply Poison, you can poison many foes in one swing.

I've also been able to out last many warriors in battle using Evade skills and Troll Unguent

Findariel
13-06-2005, 13:29
:( i like W/R...
apply poison(+ cyclone axe), troll ungent(then RUSH), lightnign reflexes(then cast troll ungent when it ran out), Melandru's Resilience(when you just keep gettign poisoned, crippled and bleeding, then a bunch of mesmers show up)... all great ranger skills to use as warrior :P.
Currently I'm using:
- Cyclone axe
- Executioner's style
- Penetrating blow
- power attack
- endure pain (wish was defy pain)
- watch your self (if i had defy pain then this would be apply poison)
- Lightning reflexes
- troll ungent
Sounds nice. Though I have a lvl 20 W/R myself I don't have all of those skills. The main problem with this build is that you basically don't have enough healing spells to survive without healers. Troll Ungent takes much too long to cast, in a battle you lose half the hp before you finish casting it. :(

And I still haven't found any evasion skills either .. how long will it take before my build will be really competitive? I just arrived in the Osasis btw ..
No 100 blades yet to complement my apply poison either .. I usually act as a ranger in tough missions but don't do much damage that way.

Without any good healing or evasion skills this build is still VERY vulnerable!!
I can understand the W/Mo W/N or W/Me paths are FAR easier ones to tread since they all add some decent life-stealing or healing skills earlier in the game, even in pre-searing .. while I'm still waiting :(

My E/Mo has a far easier time ... Whirlwind, lots of healing, Blinding Flash .. her only problem is running out of energy so fast .. no air attunement yet!

Nevermore
13-06-2005, 13:46
I use a R/W also, and I find that I use quite a few skills from each proffesion.

1. Sever Artery
2. Apply Poison
3. Final Thrust
4. Hamstring
5. Throw Dirt
6. Whirling Defense
7. Troll Unguent
8. Rez Signet

so its cool, R/W is my favorite class combo, closely followed by w/mo :surprise: :happy34: :happy14:

Thing with R/W is you have to carefully time your skill usage, if you use your defensive skills in combinations with troll unguent correctly, you can easilly tank affectivly and stay fully healed while doing it :D

Jedediah Strong
13-06-2005, 16:41
Wo/Mes
gladiators armor(80AP)
max jeweled chackaram

12 illusion magic
10 domination
0 strength
0 swords
6 tactics

flurry
illusionary weaponry
blackout
inspired enchantment
sprint
rez signet
healing signet
diversion

40 energy

All well and good until your caster (or any caster for that matter) comes up against my Hammer Warrior/Mo. Hard to cast when you are being knocked down repeatedly, and receiving weakness + deep wounds in the process.

sly_1
13-06-2005, 17:26
If anyone doubts why GW is a good game, this thread is proof. On any other MMO discussion board, a thread like this will wind up with a debate about whether class a or b is the best, or at most if class a, b, or c is the best. Instead you have dozens of opinions with the most popular one being "there is no best class".

All I can say is, good job Anet! :thumbsup:

Jedediah Strong
13-06-2005, 17:42
A fresh start? Try a Monk. Everyone wants one, but not everyone has one.

I totally agree! My first ascended/completed toon was a W/Mo. My second toon to ascend is a Mo/E. He is awesome.

I have found myself often not even using the Ele skill set. I run several different builds with him (Saul Blackheart). One (and possibly the best for solo/hench play) is my Smite/Heal build. It works freaking unbelievably. I also can put on a very strong pure heal or heal/prot. For a change I will sometimes use my heal build (4 or 5 heal skills) with an Earth Ele (earthquake/eruption) second just for it's "fire support" skills. Or as a Fire Ele for a Healer that can pack a punch (meteor shower, immolate, etc).

For anyone that wants to play a class that (a) is ALWAYS welcomed into a group and (b) that is FUN to play, go with a Monk primary. It is really a good feeling to finish a tough mission and know that YOU kept the team alive and healthy, and without YOU the mission would have failed. And the icing is when someone tells ya "man...thanks for the good work Monk....". I even had one team offer to take up a collection after a mission for me (which although tempted I turned down).

My third build is a N/Me, also a deadly combo. My Killer Leech I call him.

I have started a R/Me15. Not really in love with the Ranger primary yet. But there are many good skills I have not aquired. Just got apply poison and it really made a difference. We'll see if I keep her or scrap her.

Joeboy
13-06-2005, 17:50
A buddy of mine is having good fun as a W/N lvl15 with cunning use of hexs- (ul have to 4give the fact i dont know their names :confused: )
necro hex which gives big damage to all surrounding foes, then W stance for decreased damage but increased attack speed- everyone around your target drops like a sack of crap, while the decreased damage on primary ensures they stay alive till everyone else dies, then just change stance and beast them!

R/Me is great for annyoing the hell out of people too- send your pet into the fray to start people bleeding etc, then when it gets hexed, shatter hex to blast everyone in the area while you stand off raining explosive death with ignite arrows :lol:

in combination with the above W/N we can waste whole groups in seconds :happy14:

AlsPals
13-06-2005, 19:42

As Mesmer master myself I'll tell you that it won't work out as nicely as you think, because:

W/Me
- You don't have a lot of mana to go around all the mesmer skills. IW costs 15 points, that leaves u with 12 and you got half the regen as normal casters although you get better armor
- You are highly relying on one single enchantment for damage. But first, IW requires recast. Second, it can be removed. In PvP you will NEVER be able to use IW... at least not in front of me anyways.
- You are highly relying on energy. Again due to warrior's tiny energy pool it can be easily denied
- IW doesn't give you adrenaline, plus it doesn't really make you *hit*. So u can kiss all your warrior skills goodbye, such as Hamstring, for example, you cannot cripple with IW because u r not actually hitting.

It works because when i et it removed, its not the end of the world. My first job is to lockdown monks/eles. IW is for use AFTER the mesmers or necros are gone, plus i am an accessory warrior, not your run of the mill attacker. when someone feels froggy, i can leap with em. If you wanna see the stuff i got going on, challenges GI JOES(ranked 312) and see what we got going on, and ask yourself later why the warrior in blue keeps you from cating while doing a sustained 34 dmg. I have worked with the build long enough to fix the problem of enchantment removal(at least so that i am still useful) and disrupt casters.

smedge
13-06-2005, 23:01
Im gonna stand up for the r/w and w/r combos. I dont post my build often because it's kind of wacky/unique and I like to keep it a surprise for those w/mo's out there. I use a combo of bow and hammer.

Hammer: 11
Wilderness Surv: 12
Marks: 11

Troll Ung
Rez Sig
Hunters Shot
Apply Poison
Frenzy
Flourish
Counter Blow
Belly Smash

I spam everyone with frenzied poisoned arrows (via apply poison) and if they are moving I also try to bleed em with hunter shot. I almost always get this combo when trying and it's good for about 20 secs of -7 degen.

When rushed by warriors (usually after getting the above said combo on them) I whip out the hammer at the last second and use my already charged adren to counter blow for the knockdown then belly smash for blindness then immediately flourish to get back the belly smash. After that I hammer away with frenzy. Once the blindness starts to wear off I repeat the counter/belly/flourish combo. If poison runs out recast nrg permitting. The only thing more frightful than a normal blinding hammer attack is a poisoned hammer attack.

Fenzy and apply poison work great for both the ranger and warrior attacks. Also flourish can be used to get back a hunters shot quickly. So there is plenty of cross class skillism going on here.

If I find I am getting drained by degen or just plain hurting, I knockdown my opponent and use the break to fire troll ung at +9 regen.

If they run i switch back to bow and hunters shot em.

I used ranger as my primary mainly for deception. I like the fact we are "considered" underpowered and use it to my advantage.

smedge
13-06-2005, 23:02
Im gonna stand up for the r/w and w/r combos. I dont post my build often because it's kind of wacky/unique and I like to keep it a surprise for those w/mo's out there. I use a combo of bow and hammer.

Hammer: 11
Wilderness Surv: 12
Marks: 11

Troll Ung
Rez Sig
Hunters Shot
Apply Poison
Frenzy
Flourish
Counter Blow
Belly Smash

I spam everyone with frenzied poisoned arrows (via apply poison) and if they are moving I also try to bleed em with hunter shot. I almost always get this combo when trying and it's good for about 20 secs of -7 degen.

When rushed by warriors (usually after getting the above said combo on them) I whip out the hammer at the last second and use my already charged adren to counter blow for the knockdown then belly smash for blindness then immediately flourish to get back the belly smash. After that I hammer away with frenzy. Once the blindness starts to wear off I repeat the counter/belly/flourish combo. If poison runs out recast nrg permitting. The only thing more frightful than a normal blinding hammer attack is a poisoned hammer attack. This almost always locks up warriors if it doesnt kill them.

Fenzy and apply poison work great for both the ranger and warrior attacks. Also flourish can be used to get back a hunters shot quickly. So there is plenty of cross class skillism going on here.

If I find I am getting drained by degen or just plain hurting, I knockdown my opponent and use the break to fire troll ung at +9 regen.

If they run i switch back to bow and hunters shot em.

I used ranger as my primary mainly for deception. I like the fact we are "considered" underpowered and use it to my advantage.

roguebanshee
14-06-2005, 00:11

W/Me
W/Me IW build works fine in both PvE and PvP, you just need to remember that your weapon should be useful even without IW on. Flurry + IW = blender against anything that doesn't strip enchants and Cyclone Axe + IW is simply godly in some PvE situations.

And against knockdown there's always Dolyak Signet, 0 activation time making it nigh impossible to interrupt and since it's neither a stance nor an enchantment you can't remove it. You may be able to outrun me, but you won't be able to knock me down for extra conditions or damage. The added armor is a nice bonus.