PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Trapper Frenzy!!

Narafed Floorwood
16-06-2005, 07:59
A couple days ago we had an almost all ranger-trapper team in the Underworld and came up with a good plan. We noticed that when we ran back behind a spirit someone created when being chased by enemies they would stop and attack the spirits first (Spirit of Favorable winds for instance). We decided to summon a few spirits then lay down tons of ranger traps next to them, and lets just say the screen shot says it all... the 6 things chasing us died within' seconds because they ran right up to our trapped spirits.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/lman90245/TrapFrenzy.jpg

A Famine
16-06-2005, 08:11
Ranger trapping is the new craze! Since we couldn't get a group before, all the rangers band together. Bam, easy kills.

Jahoclave
16-06-2005, 08:16
Ranger trapping is the new craze! Since we couldn't get a group before, all the rangers band together. Bam, easy kills.
Yeah, we build a symbiosis on top of that. What, you wanted to kill our people, too bad, we have 2k health. I can't wait to see that in pvp. Trap the door, send out your monk, run back in.

DeadUserTyping
16-06-2005, 08:20
Wow you guys rock! :D

Wish I had that power. Sadly I am a healing monk :happy53: .

wolfgar
16-06-2005, 08:24
wow i need to join a group with you this sounds so cool espicailly since ive never been to underworld or fissures due to the fact that no one would invite me and man have i tried to get into a group but, of course the "curse" of the ranger got me everytime......meaning that no one wants a ranger.

Narafed Floorwood
16-06-2005, 08:29
wow i need to join a group with you this sounds so cool espicailly since ive never been to underworld or fissures due to the fact that no one would invite me and man have i tried to get into a group but, of course the "curse" of the ranger got me everytime......meaning that no one wants a ranger.

which is exactly why rangers found a loop hole, team up with other rangers!

Fitzy
16-06-2005, 08:32
Haha top stuff aye.

I trained a group of rangers to pwn underworld with traps, they didn't believe me at first. "Errr nah as if u can do that, rangers are weak on their own and im not a trapper, traps suck".

I eventually convinced everyone, we had 7 rangers and a healing monk. I got everyone to put all their traps in, healing spring and that other skill that has a 75% evasion (i forget the name of it off the top of my head).

Once we got in, i explained everything, we began, laid all our traps for the first spot - pulled the enemy, and KABOOM! Not one of us even got scratched... everyone was like ----> :surprise: WOW!

I bet they haven't turned back since :P

I hope it becomes more widely known, i really want to do it some more. Its so much fun and we do some hell damage... 6 traps each, X7 rangers, = 42 traps for 3 of those monster dudes... not even a chance to survive :) and it only takes a minute to lay!

The narrow corridors make easy work of a very challenging place.

Hope to party with some of you soon... Happy Trapping fellow Rangers!

Jahoclave
16-06-2005, 08:34
So I say we save the other classes the time and put up a thread saying it's way too overpowered and needs to be nerfed. And then cry a lot about it. This way we're ahead of the game and finally get the well deserved attention.

wolfgar
16-06-2005, 08:36
im getting on tomorrow morning as soon as i get off work just to see if anyone wants to do this for a few minutes:surprise:

Narafed Floorwood
16-06-2005, 08:48
im getting on tomorrow morning as soon as i get off work just to see if anyone wants to do this for a few minutes:surprise:

also make sure to let your trap skills re-charge and lay like 3 sets of traps per person and lure them in before they spring ^^ The one monk and ele with us were like hypnotized by all the pretty flames and smoke ;p :love57:

TheQuickness
16-06-2005, 08:51
Rangers traps ARE overpowered and need to be nerfed....*cry*

Need I say more? lol

A Famine
16-06-2005, 09:01
My UW groups are strictly all-Ranger after tonight. Couple 6 traps(minimum) per Ranger with Serpent's Quickness and 8 healing springs and you have NO need for a monk or a tank or anything, but good ol' Ranger company.

Narafed Floorwood
16-06-2005, 09:03
Rangers traps ARE overpowered and need to be nerfed....*cry*

Need I say more? lol

well the power of the traps depends on how high wilderness survival a ranger has... I have lots ;p

wolfgar
16-06-2005, 09:11
this is my third post in this thread so after this i will try to shut up but i wanna say this rock and ive got maxed out wilderness and expertise so bring it on.
by the way my name is Night Cloak in game. So any rangers p.m. as i will be hanging aound ToA for a while now. An all ranger team is gonna rock. O.K. i'll shut up now......munch....munch......munch mmmmm these lead paint chips taste good:teeth:

Sly Marbo
16-06-2005, 09:34
Yep done this a few times myself. Its fun and works well for UW, the Darknesses just totally disappear lol. Plus we can band together rather then everyone spamming Ranger LFG, neglect us...fine we'll just all go together :D. If you ever need another Ranger for your UW group let me know I have all the traps and 12 Wilderness Survival so whisper me if you wanna give it a go.

IGN: Sly Marbo (whenever I'm on this char I'm usually doing UW or FIssure anwyay)

BILDO
16-06-2005, 09:43
Its a great thing to do... i been doing it the last 5 times I have went to UW.

A good build is: (for R/MES)
3 traps (barbed/spike, flame, dust)
Whirling Defense
Serpents quickness or 1 person get quickening zypher for uber trap setting
Throw dirt
Lightning reflexes
Choking gas

If you dont want choking gas to avoid the 250 hits that rangers cant handle, you can go for Mantra of Recall (elite)/ Practiced Stance (elite)

Usually this isnt the case, because Dust trap blinds them.. and if they are still alive, throw some dirt in thier face and use your Whirling Def to make sure you dont get hit hard.

Its good for 1 guy to get Favorable winds in this build, so all Rangers have a +6 dmg and quicker shots.

Winnowing isnt bad for another stack of +4 more dmg.

Its a great team effort, get 1 monk and your set... usually monks dont have to do a damn thing.. just pick up items. I got a max dmg Eternal shield and a storm bow yesterday :happy14:

-BILDO

Mraezk
16-06-2005, 10:04
Gah, my secret Monk/Ranger plan has been discovered!

While I am looking forward to trying it with my new character, I do sort of expect AN to change how traps work to possibly make this less effective. I'm sure they don't want one class/ability teams having an advantage over the diverse groups, which is somewhat sad with how rangers are often overlooked for PvE groups.

junkhead
16-06-2005, 10:13
rangers are silly. the whole class is best left for PVE so yea doing this is fun in pve ;/ . Trapping rangers should be banned from pvp. The trapping rangers are really funny in pvp some of the noob ones think no one sees them laying the traps and laugh when people walks onto them anyways. The truth is opponents dont give a damn about traps because it is so boring in pvp to do this and people could care less about it. When ever i see a smart *** trapping ranger on my team in pvp i just leave. The whole trapping crap should be reworked and changed to something else. Please all you silly trappers stay out of pvp. lets not make it boring with you camp fests ;) .

Garumn
16-06-2005, 12:09
Woohoo Im also a trapper.

Scyfer
16-06-2005, 12:11
Oh yeah definitely! Spirits are my best tanks, and they last longer than henchies do. :uhhuh: Seriously, all ranger teams are very powerful.

hat other skill that has a 75% evasion (i forget the name of it off the top of my head).

Whirling Defenses. :happy34: :happy34: :clap:

Garumn
16-06-2005, 12:16
Anh sprirtis suck , better look at this build

Barrage
Barbed Spike
Healing Spring
Troll Unguent
¨Whirling Defence
Throw Dirt
Spike Trap
Dust Trap

I own so hard especially Wa/mos in PvP, its so funny when a warrior wnats to run me down and gets in my barbed trap and exactly afterwarts in the spike trap.When he finally gets to me I put whriling defence on and BARRAGE.Sometimes when using this strategy I even put some emotes for fun...

Loquetus
16-06-2005, 12:52
trappers are fun in pvp
even the pre-made trapper can be alot of fun
i just placed in whirling defense and a sprint skill

in the end i just ran arround a bit
cause my rez signet was already used and the rest of my team was dead
i had anti lightning armour so the 1 air mage didn't do alot of dmge (25 dmge or so ^^)

took them several minutes to actually kill me
just running, pin down,poisonn throw dirt, troll unguent, whirling defense or sprint skill after running far enough laying down barbed trap
standing till warrior/noob finally catches up
poison him again let him step into trap *run arround the warrior who's crippled again* when cripple wears off pin down again and sprint away after a few yards just stand still and dance

other team had 2 monks, 1 aire ele and 1 warrior
the monks did no real dmge exept occasional zealots fire spam
most dmge had to come from warrior and he wasn't doing a good job
for some reason the 2 monks kept removing conditions from themselves but never bothered to cast mend ailement on the poor warrior

trappers are alot of fun in pvp
just set up a team with several trappers and stand close to each other
keep laying traps
aoe spells from ele's won't do to much dmge cause of high resistance to magic dmge
take anti air armour and you'll be safe from most ele's

one warrior is bound to be stupid enough to set off your chain of traps and will be instant killed ^^

Mgzkun
16-06-2005, 13:24
uh oh

let's the ranger re-roll begin :rolleyes:

I sometime team up with all ranger team (+ aidan and alesia) to hunt ranger skill that no one care of, and oh boyz, we have a blast :D. I'll try to play as trapper at ToA today a bit maybe :D

Psykewne
16-06-2005, 13:24
Camping trappers are stupid as hell!

A real trapper lays traps while in the middle of his opponents.

1. it teaches you to ignore me in pvp!
2. even if you try to hit me whirling defence and throw dirt stops you doing that!
3. it basically becomes an area effect attack around the ranger in this sense

Sure lay a couple traps at your door just to stop that warrior killing your priest lahdeedah but pvp trapping takes place in the middle of the battle.

IncrediblyFrustrated
16-06-2005, 13:45
I've said it before.

Rangers are underestimated, and trapping doubly so. All of the groups of rangers I've been in have absolutely ruled Tyria. Whenever I've used traps in PvP it has been to extremely good effect. Most people don't seem to realize that a R/W can stack burning, bleeding, poison, deep wound, cripple and blind on a player faster than any other class in the game. My ranger/warrior consistantly lives longer than anything on the field.

Oh, and Night Cloak... I remember you. :) We ruled all over the place in Pre-Searing, I think it was. Mera Neren, though you probably don't remember me. Blond ponytail with light skin in collector's armour.... Anyway, rock on dude. :p

Agreed, Psyk! ;)

Travisty
16-06-2005, 13:48
omg, you guys are such noobs. haven't you heard? Rangers suck and every other class EVER is so much better than a ranger that they shouldn't even exist.

/sarcasm.

Sorry, venting from another thread. On a seperate note, I love my ranger and would love to get her in on an all ranger group from ToA. Think I'm pushing 13 WS. Or if you are ever in need of a Mo for that all Ranger team, I'd be more than willing to do that, as well.
Tarnished Sunshine in game.

Zigzag Rollmeister
16-06-2005, 15:18
Great threads guys.....I've actually done two of the pre-ascension missions with ranger-only groups. Both cases, noone had many trap skills, but we owned none the less. It's funny because we're one of the only classes who gets shafted out of groups, because people can never see all the support skills we concentrate on during battle.

I can't tell how many times we grouped with a NoobMonk, and I had to use Healing Spring on our tanks to keep them alive. Also, the animations are barely screwy enough so that people in your group have no idea how often you interrupt the enemies. And poison....and bleeds. I see a group of three running at us and thwip.....thwip.....thwip.....they're all poisoned and ripe for the tanks to make short work of them. The problem with poison is that if you mouse hover over all the targets, the poison or bleed don't show up as green or purple health bars, so people remain unaware of all the chaos you caused to the mobs before everyone gets there.

Funniest thing was the worms in Dunes of Despair......everyone in my group was like " Hey look, I can attack the worm and he doesn't do anything". Of course, after the mission I had to explain how my constant flurries of Choking Gas, Savage Shot, Distracting shot, and debilitating shot basically kept the worms from being able to do anything. (Not that its a big deal for that mission, considering you can just ignore the worms, but we decded to kill em anyway.)

As a pure damage dealer, a solo ranger goes nowhere fast, especially versus no-flesh creatures, but in a group, as a support class, rangers should cut the time it takes to kill groups by 25 - 50 %. The interrupts are priceless, and the convenient heals when your monk is too busy healing himself/herself are just as valuable.

All this, and I haven't even mentioned traps yet.

GWfreakpimp
17-06-2005, 05:38
I was actually looking for a good ranger strat. I have to say, WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT!!! Man this strategy owns, this works in almost every single area (Except the areas with ranged attacked things, but even then you can lure them back into traps). Me and an entire ranger team two being R/Mo's the rest being R/Me set out with this strat. and totally dominated that “Villainy of Galrath” quest. Just have to say... rangers are quite powerful using traps together!

:happy34:

baddawg
17-06-2005, 05:44
I must admit this is indeed a great thing i love my ranger and im glad we are coming into our own.Best of all no more monk butt kissing who needs em monks suck lol.

GWfreakpimp
17-06-2005, 05:50
I must admit this is indeed a great thing i love my ranger and im glad we are coming into our own.Best of all no more monk butt kissing who needs em monks suck lol.

well you should have at least a R/Mo or one real Monk, but i'm just soooo happy I finally found a use for my R/Me!!!

Zelgadis
17-06-2005, 06:10
Yeah, I've heard about this before another thing to do is do an all Fire Elementalist team and get everything with meteor. But i'm glad someone finally posted the ranger trap maneuver, but it was supposed to be kept a secret so no nerfing would happen, but I don't suppose they will though.

Narafed Floorwood
17-06-2005, 06:16
Yeah, I've heard about this before another thing to do is do an all Fire Elementalist team and get everything with meteor. But i'm glad someone finally posted the ranger trap maneuver, but it was supposed to be kept a secret so no nerfing would happen, but I don't suppose they will though.

I don't think that this was ever a secret, and I think Anet knows about this well so I don't think this was or ever will be considered an exploit because it's really not. :cool:

Frostfire
17-06-2005, 06:32
Heh heh, this is a nice find. I'm an ele myself, but I never neglected Rangers or mesmers before as I know about their useful abilities (no offense, but I'm a bit doubtful about necroes other than their useful minions)

I think I'm gonna try and gather a 5 ranger, 1 monk, and me team for fissure tomorrow lol...heck this is like a new type of "run"

the trapping run or something :happy34:

GWfreakpimp
17-06-2005, 06:36
I don't think that this was ever a secret, and I think Anet knows about this well so I don't think this was or ever will be considered an exploit because it's really not. :cool:

Actually I think it is a bit overpowered but I sure don't want it "fixed" Look at that screen shot you have a little closer! *BOOOM* :happy53:

Zelgadis
17-06-2005, 06:47
Heh heh, this is a nice find. I'm an ele myself, but I never neglected Rangers or mesmers before as I know about their useful abilities (no offense, but I'm a bit doubtful about necroes other than their useful minions)

I think I'm gonna try and gather a 5 ranger, 1 monk, and me team for fissure tomorrow lol...heck this is like a new type of "run"

the trapping run or something :happy34:

I like my Necro (N/R) I have traps and a pet and summon minions, BOW BEFORE ME MUAHAHAHAHAHA. :worship:

IncrediblyFrustrated
17-06-2005, 06:53
I disagree on the 'rangers aren't damage dealers' point. It truly all depends on the skills you use. For instance, Oath Shot + Serpent's Quickness + Hunter's Shot/Precision Shot (low energy cost) + a Zealous (for energy conservation) or Elemental (for higher damage) bowstring is a whole lot of damage really, really quickly. Stack Favorable Winds + Winnowing on top of that and you're doing some stupid damage. That's not to mention any preparations you decide to use. As a R/W I take Flurry or Frenzy along as well to increase standard fire rate, and I use a half moon for the high damage-per-second.

*shrug*

Rangers are extremely flexible. You just have to decide where to place your focus.

GWfreakpimp
17-06-2005, 06:56
I disagree on the 'rangers aren't damage dealers' point. It truly all depends on the skills you use. For instance, Oath Shot + Serpent's Quickness + Hunter's Shot/Precision Shot (low energy cost) + a Zealous (for energy conservation) or Elemental (for higher damage) bowstring is a whole lot of damage really, really quickly. Stack Favorable Winds + Winnowing on top of that and you're doing some stupid damage. That's not to mention any preparations you decide to use. As a R/W I take Flurry or Frenzy along as well to increase standard fire rate, and I use a half moon for the high damage-per-second.

*shrug*

Rangers are extremely flexible. You just have to decide where to place your focus.

Yeah but trapping things is really really easy becuase you get traps usually before most of those skills.

Zelgadis
17-06-2005, 07:04
Yeah but trapping things is really really easy becuase you get traps usually before most of those skills.

Another good combo is Favorable winds with barrage, I love that combo...

Narafed Floorwood
17-06-2005, 07:11
Actually I think it is a bit overpowered but I sure don't want it "fixed" Look at that screen shot you have a little closer! *BOOOM* :happy53:

I see the screen shot, I PUT it there... but its really not overpowered I swear :D

paperairplane
17-06-2005, 07:20
ok at least 2 people mentioned having a group full of rangers w/ everyone equipping at least 6 traps...but by my count there are only 5 traps and that includes spike trap which is elite and healing spring which doesn't do damage.

so am I missing something? Also someone mentioned having a build using both barrage and spike trap which is impossible b/c they are both elite.

Narafed Floorwood
17-06-2005, 07:26
ok at least 2 people mentioned having a group full of rangers w/ everyone equipping at least 6 traps...but by my count there are only 5 traps and that includes spike trap which is elite and healing spring which doesn't do damage.

so am I missing something? Also someone mentioned having a build using both barrage and spike trap which is impossible b/c they are both elite.

no no no, equip |dust trap|spike trap|Barbed Trap|Flame Trap| But the trick is to have several rangers and set them several times with each person before they spring. As in wait for the skills to re-charge then set again, set as many traps as you can before they all spring and pull the enemies to that spot.

Zelgadis
17-06-2005, 10:37
yeah make sure you set them multiple times... then laugh as things vanish before your eyes. and ppl will be like ----> :eek:

clairvoyance
18-06-2005, 05:16
Stacking traps seems cheap, but it'll be awesome for my soon to be created ranger =D But I'm going on a 1 week vacation, so no GW for now =( So you can stack like 100 traps in the same area? Do they start to disappear after, say, 5 traps?

GWfreakpimp
18-06-2005, 07:14
Stacking traps seems cheap, but it'll be awesome for my soon to be created ranger =D But I'm going on a 1 week vacation, so no GW for now =( So you can stack like 100 traps in the same area? Do they start to disappear after, say, 5 traps?

100 traps, lol no you can maybe stack all 4 traps 4 times per ranger before they spring, if they all have high energy (Use a staff or cane for setting traps when you do this, it'll make things alot easier becuase of the energy boosts). But yeah with 7 or 8 rangers this is devistating to the enemies.

hahnsoo
18-06-2005, 08:28
Actually you don't (or I should clarify, didn't... the new update allows you to finally get a trap before Amnoon Oasis without capping from Melp the Harpooner). Traps are very much in the "late game" of Guild Wars PvE, and it takes a while before you can finally get the full harem of traps. You can get many elites before getting all of your traps.

All-ranger parties make the UW a breeze, but it's painstakingly slow. You have to have a patient group.

gwjag
18-06-2005, 12:56
yeah make sure you set them multiple times... then laugh as things vanish before your eyes. and ppl will be like ----> :eek:

You can do it about 3 times per ranger and still have enough time to lure the enemies. Takes ~60 seconds, the traps last for 90. So whats the problem...?

Not equipping 6 traps, but laying 3 different traps, each 2 times. You could equip the 4 traps and lay each of them even 3 times before they vanish. Just the spike trap has a recharge time of 30. That would make 11 traps in 60 seconds.

Zelgadis
18-06-2005, 15:23
You can do it about 3 times per ranger and still have enough time to lure the enemies. Takes ~60 seconds, the traps last for 90. So whats the problem...?

Not sure I follow, what problem? But anyway I also have a R/Me and I use echo when I set traps then I use flame trap or barb trap and set it again, also like freak said you can equip a staff and have extra energy so I can set about 2 dust traps 3 or 4 barbed or 3 or 4 flame, depending upon which of the low energy cost ones I want to use echo on.

Zelgadis
18-06-2005, 15:26
Actually you don't (or I should clarify, didn't... the new update allows you to finally get a trap before Amnoon Oasis without capping from Melp the Harpooner). Traps are very much in the "late game" of Guild Wars PvE, and it takes a while before you can finally get the full harem of traps. You can get many elites before getting all of your traps.

All-ranger parties make the UW a breeze, but it's painstakingly slow. You have to have a patient group.

Better slow then dead ;)

bobeep
20-06-2005, 08:49
I just discovered this all trapping craze a few days back, and it's the only thing I do now. It also rocks in pvp, have your rangers lay down traps in the same area and send out a pussy monk to lure them back and watch them explode :) It's nice to know the outcast rangers can band together and perform more efficently then any other group of characters I know especially since it is almost impossible to find a group that accepts rangers.

Sadly this is one of the only fun things left to do in this game (correction, the only fun thing), so if it's nerfed in anyway i'm chucking my cd in the garbage, and never looking back.

ChaoticRain
22-06-2005, 13:12
Man where are you experienced players when I need you! I'm in a good party maybe 2% of the time. ARGH. I hate people lol...

brunobruno
23-06-2005, 22:22
Man where are you experienced players when I need you! I'm in a good party maybe 2% of the time. ARGH. I hate people lol...

I know what you mean! I was in a group with only 4 of us trappers, and we cleared all the smites without much trouble. Then when I go again with a full team of trappers we get wiped out. I hate the people who don't know how to pull correctly and/or aggro everything by "accident".

Oblivious The Swift
27-06-2005, 21:03
It does amaze me how rangers get dissed, yet we're out there doing more damage then some people or even most people on some occasions , have more hp's then your tank ect. Yet we get the short end of the stick... meanies go play a ranger before you put your opinion on how bad they suck...

Oblivious The Swift-20R/W 2.2 Million Exp and crawling higher!

listen
28-06-2005, 05:10
any1 tried FOW using all ranger groups b4? my build nw for UW all ranger group is

1. Practise stance(makes ur traps last 45% longer n shortens time to prepare 50% when u hav 12 in expertise)
2.Bard trap
3. dust trap
4. flame trap
5. res signet(haven used it once in UW since ranger group)
6.pin down(incase one aggro ran too fast infront of the rest lyk the drayder)
7.troll
8.healing spring
=) n it works pretty well :D