PDA

View Full Version : Shut Down Build?

Tinkertoes
27-06-2005, 21:45
Hi, I'm still a bit new to the game but thus far I've made it to level 12 with my necro/mes and I'm having a blast. I'm still not familiar with all the skills, and I wanted to look at doing a more supportive type caster with my group. What i'd like to do is play a caster who can play more of a skill denial game - I'm not all that interested in doing damage, just playing a disruption game.

Now my question is, what kind of build should I look at doing? I'd like to be able to disrupt spells (I'll need to learn the animations so I know what and what not to counter), I'd like to be able to dispel enchantments, have a way to root or snare warriors, and is there anything I can do to counter rangers? Any help would be much appreciated - just remember I'm not looking for some uber solo build, just a disrupter. Thanks!

Edit - It can be any character type, I'm not looking for just necro/mes builds

Tinkertoes
28-06-2005, 00:20
Ok - thus far just from looking through the skills, it looks like maybe a Mes/Elem would be good to start at. Going Illusion and Earth Magic seems like I'd have plenty of snares for anti melee, a near insta knock down spell to interupt spells, great protection wards against spells/melee, and some status affecting spells to add to cast time...sounds like that'd be good on healers. My only concern is mana regen, and what affect will fast casting have over the energy storage? Maybe it would be better to go Elem/Mes for storage, because the earth spells I'm considering have low cast times as is, as do some of the mes illusion spells I was looking at. Let me know what ya think! Thanks

Svenn
28-06-2005, 00:24
Well of Blood is not an interrupt/energy denial skill, but it is a great support skill. People say it doesn't work well in PvP, but if your team is watching for it, it can be effective, as long as you watch for AoE coming in (Meteor Shower, Fire Storm, etc.).

As far as countering rangers, energy denial is very effective on most builds. There are two things that threaten my Ranger caster interrupter/energy denial build, and that is someone stealing my energy and someone stripping my enchantment. Rangers can be difficult to put down, but you can further neutralize them by putting DoT on them and making them waste that 2 seconds to cast Troll Unguent (which can be easily interrupted). Or, if they don't self-heal, the monk(s) wastes energy keeping them healed. The key is just to keep the ranger from spamming his/her skills until the rest of your team gets the healers & casters down, then you can focus fire on the rangers and warriors to take them down.

Mind you, this advice is more oriented toward high level PvP, where the balance shifts considerably. In low-level, warriors tend to do very well in the arenas and are good to target after the healer (if you can get anyone to attack called targets, that is). In higher level PvP, warriors are much less of an immediate threat, generally speaking.

Tinkertoes
28-06-2005, 15:52
Still no ideas here = (

So the skills I'm looking at are:

**Anti Caster**
Arcane Conundrum (2X spell cast time)
Ward Against Elements (Better armor against spells in area)
Migraine (-Elite- Health degen 1-3 and 100% longer cast time)

**Anti Melee**
Imagined Burden (50% movement speed)
Iron Mist (90% snare - immune to all but lightning damage)
Grasping Earth (3/4 sec cast time - PBAOE 50% snare and +24 armor)
Ward Against Melee (50% evade melee in area)

These spells look good so far, but what skills would work well against a ranger? I was looking into maybe taking Arcane Echo, but I'm not sure what that does. If I couldn't find someone for that 8th spell slot, I might just take Conjure Phantasm since that seems to do a good bit of DoT damage and would allow me to continue casting other spells and still do damage. Let me know what ya think! Thanks

Metavirulent
28-06-2005, 17:14
I think you should either focus on anti-caster or anti-fighter. Doing both will spread your skills and attributes too thin.
I'd look into Mesmer Domination/Inspiration for Anti-Caster or Illusion/Inspiration for anti-fighter if you are looking for a disruption build.

VVild
28-06-2005, 23:10
Still no ideas here = (

So the skills I'm looking at are:

**Anti Caster**
Arcane Conundrum (2X spell cast time)
Ward Against Elements (Better armor against spells in area)
Migraine (-Elite- Health degen 1-3 and 100% longer cast time)

**Anti Melee**
Imagined Burden (50% movement speed)
Iron Mist (90% snare - immune to all but lightning damage)
Grasping Earth (3/4 sec cast time - PBAOE 50% snare and +24 armor)
Ward Against Melee (50% evade melee in area)

These spells look good so far, but what skills would work well against a ranger? I was looking into maybe taking Arcane Echo, but I'm not sure what that does. If I couldn't find someone for that 8th spell slot, I might just take Conjure Phantasm since that seems to do a good bit of DoT damage and would allow me to continue casting other spells and still do damage. Let me know what ya think! Thanks

Just thought of something nasty..go with Arcane echo to copy wither, maybe add in malaise, and then go with w/e other mesmer spells you want. On a single target, those three spells would put them at -6 degen (-12 energy per second) and -4 hp degen just for kicks.

Tinkertoes
29-06-2005, 00:33
Just thought of something nasty..go with Arcane echo to copy wither, maybe add in malaise, and then go with w/e other mesmer spells you want. On a single target, those three spells would put them at -6 degen (-12 energy per second) and -4 hp degen just for kicks.

Ouch! Haha, that sounds fun. Thanks for the idea, I'll keep that in mind when I want to make a nasty bugger!

Hart
29-06-2005, 01:36
Ouch! Haha, that sounds fun. Thanks for the idea, I'll keep that in mind when I want to make a nasty bugger!

..too bad it doesn't work. Wither is a hex; casting it twice on a single target simply makes it last longer and wastes your power. You can get to -2 health -4 power regen using Malaise and Wither together.

If you plan to use this combination, note that an equipment change, which costs your opponent no attribute or skill points to equip and has no power cost, can completely defeat the lockdown tactic it seems intended to support.

The best use of these two skills is as spam hexes on a team with 1-2 other energy denial players and in combination with Mind Wrack. It's also worth noting that Panic does not cease to function when a player drops to zero power, and is therefore more useful in general.

dorafish
29-06-2005, 04:23
This is one o fmy more annoying Me/N builds

imagined burden/ethereal burden - for ur snare
backfire - prevents casters from doing much
power spike - interrupt
life siphon - degen for them, regen for you
life transfer - more degen for them
Phantasm - degen
Arcane conundrum - great spell
power drain - interrupt and energy for you.

The idea is to target their caster, drop on backfire, life siphon, and life transfer. they're at 10 ticks of degen, and you're at 10 ticks of regen. Count and wait till backfire is about to wear off, then throw on arcane conundrum. By now, life transfer may have worn off, so throw on phantasm to continue the degen. NOw the opposition has a crapload of degen, low hp, and has very long cast times. He will attempt to cast something to save himself. Soon as he does, powerspike to kill.

VVild
29-06-2005, 21:26
..too bad it doesn't work. Wither is a hex; casting it twice on a single target simply makes it last longer and wastes your power. You can get to -2 health -4 power regen using Malaise and Wither together.

If you plan to use this combination, note that an equipment change, which costs your opponent no attribute or skill points to equip and has no power cost, can completely defeat the lockdown tactic it seems intended to support.

The best use of these two skills is as spam hexes on a team with 1-2 other energy denial players and in combination with Mind Wrack. It's also worth noting that Panic does not cease to function when a player drops to zero power, and is therefore more useful in general.

My bad, forgot about same hexes not stacking *should have learned that +when they fixed balth. bug* oh well. Might be interesting to have malaise, wither, and copied wither on three different targets, would do well versus the current ranger trend atm and their low energy. Plus, with 3 guys spamming "I'm hexed" or w/e, sure to make the monk a bit more stressed.