PDA

View Full Version : Running is Fun!

IncrediblyFrustrated
03-07-2005, 07:56
Was screwing around in the random PvP arenas earlier this evening and doing fairly well for my myself and my teams for someone who doesn't PvP much. Anyhow, we were in the sandstone circle map and my entire team had died except for me, a R/W using a trapper build. The other team was all up and gunning for me.

If I recall, there were two warriors, a necromancer and a mesmer. At this point without any hope of surviving, I decided that a permanent tactical retreat was in order. That is, I decided to run the hell away and see how long it'd take for them to mercilessly slaughter me and prance upon my silly ranger corpse.

Well, after about two or three minutes of this one of the warriors got bored and dropped out of the fight. A good call on his part, and I understood entirely. However, the rest of their team seemed determined to take me down. For what I can only assume was around twenty minutes, I ran like the sissy that I am, and learned the ways of that particular map. I was incredulous that I was doing so well, quite frankly, but since the other team (who were a bunch of good sports about it, if I do say so) was so determined and kept changing tactics, I had a blast just trying to stay alive.

Anyhow, the necro, Kharn the (something?) was easily the most dogged pursuant, and continually nailed me with Deathly Swarms from across the God-forsaken map. Fortunately, the occasional Troll Unguent kept me alive and running. Basically, I would run and smack on a good, long Storm Chaser, drop some traps (Barbed and Flame, primarily) while doing laps around and across the circle. Gazee Gazee, the mesmer, took to a post in the center after some time and (The?) Nihk ended up (faking) AFK near a bridge for a bit, so with Kharn on my tail and far enough away from his companions, I decided to see what I could do to him in a fight.

Set my traps (barbed, flame and dust), pulled back and as he ran into them (under heavy Deathly Swarm fire) clicked on Incendiary Arrows (God bless it) and Flurry and started thwokking Kharn with my Half Moon. He had me down to around half life when he finally croaked. Nihk eventually came back and ressed him, and Kharn was the first to drop out after another ten minutes or so. At this point it's Gazee and Nihk, and Nihk's trying to corner me while Gazee is doing his...mesmer...thing and spelling me down like crazy. Not to mention doing a fine Riverdance in the center courtyard.

The guys then decide that Gazee and I are going to 1v1. Well, I have to say, Gazee did quite well. It was a solid fight, and he actually ended up turning me away (who's going to waste 45 minutes of running? I mean, come on...there's something to be said for a well-placed tactical retreat :p ), Nihk drops out after another round of running, and finally it's Gazee and I again going at eachother. I'm on a (heavily trapped) bridge and he's under me in the courtyard. He walks under me and sets off a good number of the traps there (which is a ridiculous glitch, by the way) and so I, just as with Kharn, clicked on Incendiary Arrows + Flurry and ended up taking the fight. Victoly! ;)

--

This whole fiasco ended up at what was nearly an hour's worth of ONE random PvP battle. I know many of you are likely disgusted with me, and I've seen all the threads complaining about runners, but I was genuinely just having a huge blast trying to stay away and alive with these guys after me. Felt like I was in Logan's Run or something. :p If any of you guys (Kharn, Nihk or Gazee) read the board, just wanted to send a big thank you from Mera Neren for a great time and to apologize if I went a little over the top.

...though Gazee did say he was in a fight for over three hours previously and won...so, I guess you can't complain too much. ;)

Ivy
03-07-2005, 08:24
Well we all do unspeakable things to win at one point or another right?

IncrediblyFrustrated
03-07-2005, 08:28
Bah, what makes it unspeakable? It was fun. :) I didn't really care whether I lost or not. I was having a great time. In fact, I'd really kind of like some sort of survival type deal. Somewhere in the game. It'd be too easy to take someone down in PvP just because there are so many ways to stop a player, but maybe with some chaser mobs dogging you around your guildhall or something that are deadly enough to be scary, but aren't impossible to get away from.

Believe me, running for your life can be pretty exciting in it's own right. :p

wildspear
18-01-2006, 00:25
That sounds pretty funny. I dont see why people would get mad. It would be a challenge to take out a runner and if you finally did get him then you would have a sense of acomplishment.

salaboB
18-01-2006, 00:37
That sounds pretty funny. I dont see why people would get mad. It would be a challenge to take out a runner and if you finally did get him then you would have a sense of acomplishment.And if their team had the bad luck to roll 2 monks and 2 warriors? No way to take out the runner, but no way the runner would ever possibly win.

Yeah, there's a challenge staying alive alright...

PhrozenFetus
18-01-2006, 00:54
And if their team had the bad luck to roll 2 monks and 2 warriors? No way to take out the runner, but no way the runner would ever possibly win.

Yeah, there's a challenge staying alive alright...

2 Wars should easily take a runner out if they brought the right skills. Pretty simple to do. Sprint? Charge? ..maybe they were w/r and had the same running skills on as the ranger in this post.

Nadakuu Vaelen
18-01-2006, 01:13
2 Wars should easily take a runner out if they brought the right skills. Pretty simple to do. Sprint? Charge? ..maybe they were w/r and had the same running skills on as the ranger in this post.

not reallly a matter of bringing running skills as much as bringing a slowing skill .. most classes have a skill to slow the enemy then it just becomes a matter of getting him to run into you so that u can slow him/her (though i have never met a girl who did that)

if they want to run you just play it like a chest game surround him then pounce..

though i'll say this:
anet needs to install a way for us to report a guy who is running ^-^ then have a way to get them banned.

Hebug
18-01-2006, 01:17
wtf thread necromancy?

Acel
18-01-2006, 01:19
It really depends on the type of "runner" you are. The "involuntary temporary-runner" or the "run-at-all-cost" runner.

Met a ranger that brought 4 evasive/defensive stances to CA and does 0 dmg to me on my test warrior BM build with whatever attack skills he had left on that bar. While everyone on his team died and left, he kept on running without attacking at all. Needless to say, he was a griefer, so I simply watched TV while he kept on running til he ultimately logged out.

http://img493.imageshack.us/img493/8580/gw1298go.th.jpg (http://img493.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gw1298go.jpg)

Notorious Nav
18-01-2006, 01:25
I as an elementalist spiker ALWays carry lightning surge(knockdown after 3 seconds) and gale (knockdown for 3 seconds) as well as skills that don't require line of sight just in case I meet a runner which I always do, unfortunately for them.

But I much agree running away from the opponents when you have no other choice IS fun especially as a IVEX trapper build:laugh:

The Boz
18-01-2006, 01:33
You have no idea what kind of a smile appears on my face when I meet someone like you in CA with my N/Me or the Me/N. Snares, disenchants, interrupts, you name it, I inflict it. The tally so far: 7 I-Monks, 3 Ranger runners, 1 Warrior runner, 1 Ranger Pet Runer(pretty unique build, he ran the pet attacked, worked well) and a few misfits(I-Necro, Mesmer runner etc).

Buffalo Chip
18-01-2006, 03:00
You have fun running? You obviously haven't experienced anything else other than PvE, this includes in your social life.

Zaxares
18-01-2006, 07:31
Runners are fun with my Illusionary Weaponry Me/W, since I pack Ethereal Burden to stop those annoying people running away from me.

I also enjoy meeting runners with my degen Necro build. :grin:

allinuff
18-01-2006, 07:44
you guys do realise this thread is a couple of months old... talk about raising the dead.

he's on a trapping build. so running is the play style. but really, if you're outnumbered like that just give the match up. it is already clear which is the better team. you maybe the better player but why spoil it for 4 people?

Icy Spicy
18-01-2006, 07:45
most runner are in CA or pug TA/Tombs... most guilds dont want people to run, if they are ganna lose, they rather have the last person dance to death, so they can GvG/PvP again... anyways... in short, Runners waste oxygen

danilovic
18-01-2006, 09:33
You can run a bit, but you should stop it when other people leave cos of your stupid running.

Bilateralrope
18-01-2006, 10:02
I find that there are 2 groups of runners in PvP. The ones that are just running, and the ones that are actually trying to kill the other players. While I hate the first type, the second type isn't too bad since they are at least tyring for a legit win (where the enemy team dies, not leaves). As I see it, if your trying to meet the maps victory conditions your fine with me.

IncrediblyFrustrated decribed himself as the second type, so I have no problem with his playing style. I mean he actually won by killing off the other team.

Draenor
25-01-2006, 20:26
There's something called sportsmanship that calls for a player to resign when all is lost. Staying alive like this may be fun for you, but for everyone else it can be a waste of time and quite annoying.

Taxed
25-01-2006, 20:48
I came across a team in the team arenas where all 4 of them were running builds. I left after about 1 minute and seeing the skills they were using. Wasn't in the mood to chase them down.

Lanto
26-01-2006, 17:57
I had a similar experience, but it was I myself who was the chaser. For nearly an hour and a half I was trying to kill a w/mo who had no place in the arenas.

http://img52.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gw0952zf.jpg

Sprint, Charge, Mend Ailment, Mending, Healing Breeze, Bonetti's defense, Balthz Aura and Hamstring. He / She ran around as soon as her teammates died. I did have a ranged cripple attack but she would mend ailment it immediatly, and the skill I used had a 20 sec. recharge time. Long story short she left I win. Yay!

Hebug
26-01-2006, 19:01
Random arena is an easy place to test survivability and solo skills of your flag runner build. I use it to warm up if I need to run flags, though I do warn people of it during the match so they can leave if they don't want to stick around.

Tap Tap
26-01-2006, 19:18
I do much of the same in RA's, testing GvG flag builds, because as Bug mentioned, it's a great way to test your solo survival skills.

And to those naysayers who gripe over someone running around for like 45 minutes, it is your own fault for not bringing something to slow him down, or catch up to him. You can't really rely one someone else in random arenas to do it.

It's amusing to watch people get so bent out of shape over someone who runs. What's more important, winning that match and maintaining your e-pride, or just leaving if you can't catch a runner and wait 30 seconds to get a new match?

Sun is in us
26-01-2006, 21:38
If you want to kill people (I tend to ruin the fun of someone testing a running build) in CA; and that is what I like to do (everything has been unlocked for months, I don't really use it for any "practice"), you must not have a "random" build. I go in there to kill and I take it "seriously".....it's great quick pick up fun. And it cheeses off the "well I think CA is a joke people" because they die ever so quick, and they never get much time to test. Usually they just have enough time to flash rank. Good Times.*

You plan for Runners (degen for the win) and speed boosts or snares. Runners never last long when it comes down myself vs. them because as a reality of life in the Slave Arena (CA), I have to bring skills to kill them. I think my record against a runner with a similar skill bar as above was 11 seconds until they were dead from start to finish.

And of course, the Assasin class adds additional anti-runner skills (one spell causes 15 damage every tick they move..they have to stand still to avoid the effect)...killed a runner that way over the PVP weekend.

So yea....Running is fun for me.

*It's ok, I have 100's of hours in CA....I understand peoples feelings about needing a monk etc (course I have several 20-30 wins with no monks on my team)...so you don't have to set me straight on the "atmosphere" of CA.....I understand it's the Arena many love to hate....But...everytime I go in there I go to kill you. And the more people that downgrade the skill of CA "serious" people, the more fun it is for me......:wink: GVG is fun/TOMBs is nice....but for quick easy bloodletting.....slum it with Maximus, Proximo, and myself. You might even end up like those Chariot-Riding-Dudes (weren't they suppose to win the battle?)....you thought you were L33t, but, but now you are on your feet.....oh and don't forget to flash rank as you die....bwhahahahaha.

PPS. This is all in good fun. I called CA the "Slave Arenas" so you don't have to say again it's not "real pvp", you can make another thread on that. To hijack for a sec myself though: One thing that I do like about the Koreans (Generalization alert), is that many of them seem to use good skill sets based upon 1v1 that they also use synergistically in GVG....so many times I have observed that some people who think CA is useless (and the skill bars used there) get caught on the map one V. one with a Korean opponent, they end up dead. More time spent in the Slave Arena could have helped them there. Getting jumped in 8v8 is very different, it happens so quickly sometimes that you never really "learn" anything....but if have had it happen a million times in CA, you really do start to learn some new tricks.

SirBlack
26-01-2006, 21:58
And to those naysayers who gripe over someone running around for like 45 minutes, it is your own fault for not bringing something to slow him down, or catch up to him. You can't really rely one someone else in random arenas to do it.

Then again, not every build can easily incorporate those kind of skills. And even if they can, the skills may not necessarily be very effective on someone who's built to run. For instance, I've run warrior builds with an adrenaline-based crippling attack or speed skill. Not very great against dedicated runners, since I need to use the skill to catch them but I need to catch them to get adrenaline to use the skill... One shouldn't have to go too far off a normally effective build just to deal with the people who are trying to play dirty.