PDA

View Full Version : Doublecasting - dumb idea, or worth it?

nyren
14-07-2005, 11:50
I had a stupid or brilliant idea the other day, for my E/Me.

First, I cast Arcane Echo.
Then I cast Meteor Shower, which replaces Arcane Echo with a fake copy of Meteor Shower.
Then I cast Glyph of Sacrifice.
Then I cast the arcane echoed copy of Meteor Shower.

This means that there are two meteor showers hitting my target, with a one second delay in between.

After 20 seconds, even though the echoed Meteor Shower won't recharge for another 160, because Arcane Echo ends, it goes back to beign Arcane Echo, which takes 30 seconds to recharge.

This means that every 60 seconds, I can doublecast Meteor Shower. However, the doublecast combo takes two additional skill slots. Is it worth it?

The rest of the build, for now, is 14 energy storage and 13 fire magic, because I was trying out an Ether Renewal build. Spam tons of things that drain mana, then fire attunement + aura of restoration + ether renewal + flare to restore my mana to full. The problem is, I can't think of ways to spend my mana fast enough - this was my best idea =\

Suggestions? Comments?

Liessa
14-07-2005, 12:18
Double meteor shower sounds quite impressive. Did you try this ? Lorna's pass might be quite well for testing.

Tell us your experience.

:)

Morti
14-07-2005, 12:20
That's exactly what I want to do :D

The only con I can think of is 2xexhaustion.

P.S. people, you should check out my build too, in my post. Please :D

Liessa
14-07-2005, 12:21
Despite exhaustion it might work, due to 82+ points of energy ^^

Azuth of CoR
14-07-2005, 14:28
After 20 seconds, even though the echoed Meteor Shower won't recharge for another 160, because Arcane Echo ends, it goes back to beign Arcane Echo, which takes 30 seconds to recharge.

Unless things have changed in the last few updates, increased recharge due to a skill is not reset when copy spells return to their original state. That means that echo will go back to being echo, but you still have to sit out the 160 second recharge before you can cast again.

Still, I can't see you actually wanting to cast dual meteor showers again that quick, so your build could still work well in PvE :happy34:

nyren
14-07-2005, 20:25
Unless things have changed in the last few updates, increased recharge due to a skill is not reset when copy spells return to their original state. That means that echo will go back to being echo, but you still have to sit out the 160 second recharge before you can cast again.

Still, I can't see you actually wanting to cast dual meteor showers again that quick, so your build could still work well in PvE :happy34:

NOT true at all. When Echo/Arcane Echo ends, it goes back to being Echo/Arcane Echo, and recharges at the rate of those skills as if those skills were just used. So, when Arcan Echo fires, it's replaced with Meteor Shower for 20 seconds. After those 20 seconds, it's replaced by Arcane Echo again, which takes 30 second to recharge. After a total of exactly 50 seconds, you can cast Arcane Echo again, no matter what.

And I did test it - it worked as intended. And yes, I have 85ish mana - and NOTHING to do with it besides this :D I use the other half of the build to instantly restore that mana to full (minus the exhaustion), but then have nothing to do with my 65 mana for 60 seconds. Any ideas of how to spend 65 mana fast? :D

Azuth of CoR
14-07-2005, 20:42
Good to know, I was highly offended in the past when it didn't work. It makes sense that it would be delayed like the skill itself, but I guess waiting 50 seconds for a recharge on a 20 second skill isn't too much to ask.

nyren
14-07-2005, 21:25
Good to know, I was highly offended in the past when it didn't work. It makes sense that it would be delayed like the skill itself, but I guess waiting 50 seconds for a recharge on a 20 second skill isn't too much to ask.

Yeah... Arcane Echo is ready before Meteor Shower is ready doing this strategy :D Which amuses me, because I used Glyph of Sacrifice, and sucked no penalty ;)

Azuth of CoR
14-07-2005, 21:36
Oh ya, how you spend 65 mana quickly ----> Obsidian Flame

8 seconds, no more energy =P

nyren
14-07-2005, 23:55
Oh ya, how you spend 65 mana quickly ----> Obsidian Flame

8 seconds, no more energy =P

Doesn't work - need to spend mana fast, but withOUT exhaustion. The thing is, I can regen the mana instantly with Ether Renewal - full mana in 4 seconds. If I'm casting from my max mana, that doesn't help =\ But all the high cost Ele spells cause exhaustion =\ And I'd perfer fire for this, so I can do the meteor trick too :D

Patccmoi
15-07-2005, 00:08
Doesn't work - need to spend mana fast, but withOUT exhaustion. The thing is, I can regen the mana instantly with Ether Renewal - full mana in 4 seconds. If I'm casting from my max mana, that doesn't help =\ But all the high cost Ele spells cause exhaustion =\ And I'd perfer fire for this, so I can do the meteor trick too :D

I'd suggest Mark of Rodgort during your flare spamming. Use that on your target and it's gonna be pretty nasty since you'll keep it burning the whole time.

And you could also just drop Fire Atune or even Aura. Your Ether Renewal will be only +3 energy per flare but if you're stuck with full energy anyway might as well have more spells to lower it.

Then you can add Fire Storm for more massive AOE damage that isn't too energy consuming.

And make sure you got wand and foci from collector, you'll have 36% chance of fast recharge on Meteor Shower so you might be able to use the combo more often.