PDA

View Full Version : Creation Question

Xpiher
30-07-2005, 08:50
Not sure if this goes here or in the question answer thread since its related to both so sorry if its misplaced.

I've had some bad experiences with guilds going inactive due to the fact that they were full of casual gamers and people not interested in pvp so I decided to start my own guild. I have a what Iíd consider a good cape and only about 20k from buying the hall I want. The problem is I really donít have anyone initially in the guild besides one of my friends who plays the game because two people who where going to join bailed after I registered and bough cape. This seems that it would cause problems with my recruiting efforts because some people just didnít like the fact that they were one of the first members (not having hall was a factor as well so Iím still saving).

My questions are: will this be a permanent problem that Iíll have even when I have money for a hall, or will this go away once people see that hall will be coming once more members join? Is there anything I cand/could do to get my recruitment jump stated? Or should I just cut my losses now and try to find a guild to join?

Thanks in advance to all who reply with an answer to these question.

BladeSong
30-07-2005, 09:51
Starting a Guild is a chore, because it will take time away from your gaming to attend to needs that members will have and just things that YOU and YOU alone will have to decide on and do. If your starting a Guild with an actual Friend that's a very good place to start. That will give you a start on a leadership core which is something you will need because as your guild grows your duties will also increase and ONE man can't do it all. Some Suggestions and starting tips.

1.) Decide what type of guild you want and what it's goals are ? Are you casual, serious, P vs. E or strictly P vs. P ? This will help you focus on molding your Guild as you construct it.

2.) Find yourself a LEADERSHIP CORE. These will be the people that will help you bring new members into the guild and help you run it. Either know these people ( Real Life ) or spend sometime getting to know them and make sure they are people you like and trust. They are your Guild's backbone and the ones you are going to depend on to help you get things done.

RECRUITING TIPS - Perhaps post a thread or two in various forums, but there is no substitute for actually gaming with people. This will give you an idea of how they act, how they play and if they generally fit into how you and the rest of your guild interact. Sometimes helping what many people call NEWBS, will land you a person that will be absolutely invaluable to you. Gaming skills can be learned but LEADERSHIP & PERSONALITY can't. Don't dismiss people based just on their playing abilities. If your P vs. P work with any weak links you might have and when your ready then try your hand at it or set up some sparring between some other guilds. Getting the right people is important. If you let anyone in that you want strictly for membership numbers, you'll get those that are going to cause you problems or simply bail on you like the last two did, count your blessings there. Building a member base may take sometime but my advice is to do it slow and get yourself people you enjoy gaming with and trust. A large number of people you don't know or trust for the sake of having members is simply no more then a mob.

Running a guild will be a JOB. If you really do not want to spend time dealing with problems and building the thing up I'd suggest looking for a guild to join. If you do wish to create a guild and get a few friends and others you meet online to form a community of gamers I think you'll find the online gaming experience is greatly increased.

Good luck to you.

lovelycrap
30-07-2005, 10:07
My questions are: will this be a permanent problem that Iíll have even when I have money for a hall, or will this go away once people see that hall will be coming once more members join? Is there anything I cand/could do to get my recruitment jump stated? Or should I just cut my losses now and try to find a guild to join?
Unfortunately, the extreme ease-of-use and built-in functionality available to anyone who wants to create a guild has several disadvantages. Since everyone and their mother is making their own guild, there is no shortage of guilds to join. Anyone trying to create a new guild who also wants to be somewhat selective generally won't go far. When your new and you have no members, all you can do is let just about anyone join and hope 1/4th of them meet your standards.

Considering that there are plenty of established guilds ready to gobble up any experienced player and thousands of guilds taking newbies, your up against a lot. Not to mention, there is not much you can do or say to convince someone of the quality of your guild except by showing them results such as ladder rank. As soon as they find out you barely have any members, they will jump ship simply because they can and there is no shortage of alternative guilds to could run to. Thatís the price you pay for having such a simple and integrated guild system.

There isn't much you can do other than to tough it out and hopefully slowly gain dedicated members, or give up. The fact that you have a guild hall and cape doesn't change much, since 3 out of 4 guilds have one.