PDA

View Full Version : Warrior as a Secondary(crazy?)

JMadisonIV
02-08-2005, 09:41
I had what I think is a very crazy Idea for my RP Character, using Warrior as my secondary profession(NOT Illusionary Warrior, btw).

what I'd like to know, if anyone can tell me from experience, what are the general pros/cons of having Mesmer/Warrior?

is there sufficient Damage there? I know the armor and HP are going to be severely lacking, but can I overcome that somehow?

Nobleman Azure
02-08-2005, 10:04
It isnt crazy, when teh word warrior comes to mind, it doesnt mean that you will go melee. Alot of casters have used warrior secondary to make use of their tactics skills.

JMadisonIV
02-08-2005, 10:07
It isnt crazy, when teh word warrior comes to mind, it doesnt mean that you will go melee. Alot of casters have used warrior secondary to make use of their tactics skills.

see....but....I was planning on making a melee-capable Mesmer/Warrior....:P I wasn't even thinking about using Tactics. was planning on making a Mesmer, who can function in Melee when I want him to, if that is possible.(is it crazy yet?)

I'm just wondering if I'll do a lot less damage, because Warrior would be my secondary, and not my primary. or can I do adequate melee damage.

SirSyrath
02-08-2005, 10:20
Its very possible for you to make a mesmer that is melee capable. You will find yourself relying often on stances. Taking the tactics line is a very good idea. Tactics/Weapon/ then domination or illusion can make a good mix. Sometimes though you will find that you will be overwhelmed and you have to realise that in these situations you will have to draw back from combat and let the warriors do what they are best at.

Ive run ring of fire with 6 henchmen and me tanking just fine. Strangly I used mantra of flame as my main stance. It just shows that its possible.

Equipment to look for though

Rogues armor (+10 on physical damage). Its a good idea to have this on at least your chest and legs.
Desert Collectors shield. 16 armor -2 dmg while in stance. Requires 9 tactics.
If you go sword go get the sword from the weapons crafter in Henge of Denravi (nearly max dmg and +5 E).

Sir Syrath

JMadisonIV
02-08-2005, 10:27
Its very possible for you to make a mesmer that is melee capable. You will find yourself relying often on stances. Taking the tactics line is a very good idea. Tactics/Weapon/ then domination or illusion can make a good mix. Sometimes though you will find that you will be overwhelmed and you have to realise that in these situations you will have to draw back from combat and let the warriors do what they are best at.

Ive run ring of fire with 6 henchmen and me tanking just fine. Strangly I used mantra of flame as my main stance. It just shows that its possible.

Equipment to look for though

Rogues armor (+10 on physical damage). Its a good idea to have this on at least your chest and legs.
Desert Collectors shield. 16 armor -2 dmg while in stance. Requires 9 tactics.
If you go sword go get the sword from the weapons crafter in Henge of Denravi (nearly max dmg and +5 E).

Sir Syrath

Hmmm...interesting. too bad there is no Duel-Wielding.

I was thinking more along the lines of a setup based around Interrupts like Cry of Frustration and Leech Signet, with High fast-casting so I can use some damage spells while in melee to supplement my melee damage(Like a Champion or a Thane in DAoC....only without the suckage...). as far as I know, Warriors get a fair amount of interrupt skills as well. I'm unsure if I'd be able to do enough fast damage to support this though.

ideally though, I'd be more damage/caster hate, than Tank.

but of course, I can always modify my Skillbar according to my group's personnel and shift between either of the two extremes(warrior or mesmer) depending on what the group needs.

I'm still fiddling with the idea in my mind, and researching the Warrior Class though. My Mesmer just ascended so I can at least give it a trial run.

Wrath of God
02-08-2005, 15:10
There's some good thing about adding warrior as your secondary class from mesmer primary.
Good things:

-Can rune mesmers attribute.
-If you get a zealous axe or sword, use Flurry and you don't need to rely on inspiration for energy gain. The energy gain is quite amazing from a fast zealous weapon.
-If you had warrior as primary and had a zealous axe or sword with Flurry, the energy gain isn't as good as having a mesmer primary. With an energy regeneration of 3 and a fast zealous weapon, the energy gain is crazy. With an energy regeneration of 1 and a fast zealous weapon, it's no good.

Bad things:
-Less armour.
-Can't put points in the attribute strength.
-Cannot rune warriors attributes.

*Since you can only rune mesmers attribute, you should have more points into mesmers attribute line than warriors attribute.
*Mesmers should probably put points into Illusion, Fastcast, and (Axe or Sword). Tactic and Illusion can be very defensive attributes but since you can rune Illusion, putting points into Illusion is probably a better choice. Putting a lot of points in Illusion can also make IW strong but it doesn't seem you want to be a IW mesmer/warrior.
11 axe/sword
10 illusion + (1) Headgear + (3) Superior Rune = 14
10 fast cast + (1) Minor Rune = 11
*If your going PVP, you might want to put points into domination instead of illusion since there aren't as much melee'ers in PVP except for in the competition arena.
11 axe/sword
10 domination + (1) Headgear + (3) Superior Rune = 14
10 fast cast + (1) Minor Rune = 11

A non-IW mesmer/warrior build would probably look like this:

For PVE
-Conjure Phantasm
-Gash
-Ressurection Signet
-Server Artery
-Final Thrust
-Flurry
-Hundread Blade
-Distortion

Have rogue armor for this and a zealous axe with a illusion foci.
Use Distortion if your getting attacked. Use Flurry when your not under attack.

For PVP
-Shatter Enchantment
-Blackout
-Echo
-Flurry
-Dismember
-Axe Rake
-Penetrating Blow
-Ressurection Signet

Get a zealous axe for this and a domination foci. Don't get noble/performers/virtsuo's armor for this. Rogue and Enchanters are good armor for this build.

Use Echo and Blackout. Your Blackout lasts 7 seconds so that should be enough time for you to use an adrenaline axe attack and then use Blackout again. There's Axe Rake in there for crippling so they can't run from you.

Rizzy
02-08-2005, 16:47
No it's not crazy.
As a lvl 15 mes/warrior (past tense)
I managed to ward off 2 warriors.

My skills were just in swords, high domination and mid illusion.

For domination, I just carried around Backfire and empathy.
Illusion, conjure phant and distortion
Swords, Sever artery and gash.

It's good enough.

DotR
02-08-2005, 16:59
I managed to ward off 2 warriors.

Any mesmer can ward off an unlimited amount of bad warriors as long as they take the right skill or 2.

You don't have to be mes/warrior...Most warriors are pretty dumb. They also build themselves to be tanks which is laughable.

Wrath of God
02-08-2005, 17:15
They also build themselves to be tanks which is laughable.

Yeah, warriors in pvp with a tank build is dumb. They don't get attacked untill their whole team is dead, and that means their team is getting owned.

And warriors should be wearing the gladiators armor set. What's the point of having a tanking armor if you won't get attacked 'till your whole team is dead which means your team is getting owned. I can only see the point of heavy armor for warriors in pvp is to run away or run a flag, relic, etc...

Warriors should take advantage of not getting attacked. Who knows:
-Traps
-Frenzy
-Gladiators Armor
-Going full offense with no defensive skills to hold them back

Rizzy
02-08-2005, 17:32
Yeah, warriors in pvp with a tank build is dumb. They don't get attacked untill their whole team is dead, and that means their team is getting owned.

And warriors should be wearing the gladiators armor set. What's the point of having a tanking armor if you won't get attacked 'till your whole team is dead which means your team is getting owned. I can only see the point of heavy armor for warriors in pvp is to run away or run a flag, relic, etc...

Warriors should take advantage of not getting attacked. Who knows:
-Traps
-Frenzy
-Gladiators Armor
-Going full offense with no defensive skills to hold them back

Oh the last time I went pvping as a necro, I was so not expecting anyone to hit me out of a mes ele war necro team...

Turned out I was the first target, they just focused everything on me.

Oh and my necro...
He targets warriors firsts.
It's about time someone puts a check on those bone heads.

Basically its easy.
Load up all the curses that make him hurt himself and his friends just for swinging his weap.
Next... load up a curse to make him miss and take damage.
Next... weaken him.

and then watch him go self destruct.

Hokutan
02-08-2005, 18:13
Oh and my necro...
He targets warriors firsts.
It's about time someone puts a check on those bone heads.

You know,there has been a few times,just a few...where i didn't agree with something you said.
But here i completely agree with =)
I actually started last night on a build to completey screw up warriors!
It is about time us lil finger wigglers took the time to pay them a little ...ummm...ah..yes.."respect" ;)

Wrath of God
02-08-2005, 18:34
But what if there are no warriors or rangers to curse? :(

wizowoz
02-08-2005, 19:01
I don't PvP very often, however the few times I have done it, my W/Mo (smiter) seemed to work out quite well. Of course everyone leaves me alone which leaves me time to take out the other teams Monk/Monks. No fuss no muss. I get tired of the Warrior haters of the world, however I am liking my Smiting Monk better each day, the Warrior will always be my first character. If Warriors suck so bad in PvP, why is it that every team has to have setups to stop them? I don't see any other profession that has as many "original" builds to stop them as the Warrior, so evidently nobody likes the Warrior, but everyone fears them... Remember that kids.

pcxgamexman
03-08-2005, 17:34
When my Mo/W (previously Mo/E) finished the last mission of the game, Hell's Precipice, one of our 3 warriors was a Me/W. Of course I wasn't able to tell how he faired against the true W/Xs as far as damage output or whether he was casting any spells because I was too busy healing, but I can tell you this---he was a huge energy sink. I spent a loooottt of time healing just him, so I was thinking during the mission "why would someone go Me/W and be a warrior and not choose W/Me if they wanted to be a warrior?" I mean, you still get the Mesmer line of skills if you want them, but then you would have the protection of warrior class armors, etc. I just don't get it....oh well, to each his/her own.

SirSyrath
03-08-2005, 17:48
When my Mo/W (previously Mo/E) finished the last mission of the game, Hell's Precipice, one of our 3 warriors was a Me/W. Of course I wasn't able to tell how he faired against the true W/Xs as far as damage output or whether he was casting any spells because I was too busy healing, but I can tell you this---he was a huge energy sink. I spent a loooottt of time healing just him, so I was thinking during the mission "why would someone go Me/W and be a warrior and not choose W/Me if they wanted to be a warrior?" I mean, you still get the Mesmer line of skills if you want them, but then you would have the protection of warrior class armors, etc. I just don't get it....oh well, to each his/her own.

Physical resistance adds +40 armor , which more than makes up for warrior armor
Elemental resistance does similar.

Distortion stance can be a very good avoidance skill against targetted attacks.

The advantage of going me/W is that you get 4 regen and not 2. You also get a larger pool of energy as well. This means that offensively you can make up for your lack of defense.

signet of midnight , plague send will mean that a me/w will rarely get hit. Spirit of Failure/distortion will mean that not only against one target do you never (almost) get hit but that each time they try you gain up to 5 Energy.

Where a Me/W really falls down is against the hordes of creatures you can get on missions or areas. Then they must rely on physical resistance to keep them alive, which makes them weaker against elemental damage.

I would say that given your comment about him being a a mana sink means that he probably wasnt using any of the above.

Syrath