PDA

View Full Version : Domination Mesmer Setup

wortel
11-08-2005, 17:59
I really love Mesmers. However, with the current state of Nature's Renewal spam, all my Mantra of Persistance builds have gone down the drain; I'm trying to get a solid Domination build now. This build is meant for an 8v8 setup.

The idea is to go for the monks solely, since you will surely encounter them in 8v8, while other casters are not always available. It is true that many teams have incorporated a Necro, but this is not neccesary; as long as you have a character that can destroy corpses, you don't need one.

I've come up with the following:

Power Block{E}
Shatter Enchantment
Shame
Mind Wrack
Energy Burn
Energy Tap
Ether Feast
Resurrect

Domination: 12+4
Inspiration: 8+1 (cutoff point for Energy Tap)
Fast Casting: 10+1

The idea to use Power Block on a monk (or air ele if available), shutting them down for 16 secs, and then use the rest on another monk. I have become quite good at Power blocking, so I feel I do not need Arcane Conundrum.

I use Mind Wrack mainly as a cover hex for Shame; but with the energy denial, i've noticed it does decent damage. The Mind Wrack - Energy Tap - Mind Wrack - Energy Burn - Mind Wrack - Ether Feast combo does quite decent damage (if the target is low on energy), while keeping the enemy drained at the same time.

However, I am not so sure this is the most effective build. I was wondering if I should drop the Mind Wrack, since it does not help me disabling. In this case Ether Feast becomes less useful too, although I love it because it takes some pressure of our monks.

The question is if there is another setup which is more effective at shutting down the second target. We have Diversion already on another character to shut down Elmo Smiters, so it is not needed, and I have noticed that it is not a big help against a monk, since they use so many different heal spells.

Should I use Backfire? The problem is that it is a 3sec hex, and with Nature's Renewal up this will take a fairly long time to cast, even with 11 fastcast. If I use backfire, I probably cannot use a cover spell; I really hate to get backfire removed by another monk. However, our build includes a cursing Necro, so they probably have used their hex removals already.

Comments, criticism and improvements are welcome.

Wrath of God
11-08-2005, 19:10
Use Arcane Echo instead of Mind Wrack. If your so good at interrupting monks, get 2 Power Blocks and shut two monks down. Then work on the third with energy denial. My tip to you to interrupting monk is to watch their animation. But this won't help all the time since they have signets. Maybe if you use Ignorance, you don't have to worry about the signets. The reason why you shouldn't look at their healthbar is because of Reversal of Fortune and other one second spell heals. Yeah, one second spell is easy to interrupt but people usually have a 20/20 staff/wand/foci which will make their spell about .5 second to cast.

phassywig
11-08-2005, 19:58
Some comments...
1. Nature's Renweal does NOT remove mantra of persistence, the mantras are a stance...NR only removes enchantments and hexes.
2. Remove mind wrack, energy burn, and ether feast. You cannot effectively use mind wrack with your skill setup. You won't be able to drain a monk's energy quickly, so take the energy drain skills out. This would work for warriors / rangers, but you said that you are targetting casters with this build.
3. Put in 'shatter hex'
4. Actually...you may want to rework this entirely. You're not going to have the energy to run it well..think about it.. if you arcane echo power block..look what happens
arcane echo - 15 energy
power block - 15 energy
power block - 15 energy
Already, you are almost out of energy..
energy tap will get you..hmm don't have the game in front of me so i don't know how much with your inspiration..but about..10?
Here's what you do...
take out power block and replace it with energy drain..also keep energy tap
Rework your build from that point. You will find that there are certain skills with a fast recharge time that will shut down monks completely (hint hint..find out for yourself). You will have enough energy to keep these skills running. Also, use arcane echo...you can go from echoing shutdown skills...to echoing energy drain, as needed.

wortel
12-08-2005, 00:09
Thanks for the comments;

1. Nature's Renweal does NOT remove mantra of persistence, the mantras are a stance...NR only removes enchantments and hexes.

I know this, I meant that the added duration of the hexes due to mantra of persistance has little use, since hexes get wiped regularly with Nature's Renewal.

2. Remove mind wrack, energy burn, and ether feast. You cannot effectively use mind wrack with your skill setup. You won't be able to drain a monk's energy quickly, so take the energy drain skills out. This would work for warriors / rangers, but you said that you are targetting casters with this build.

The idea was that it's purpose was twofold: To cover Shame, and to do some situational damage. The plan was not to effectively use it, just to make sure Shame has a cover, so that it does not get removed by another monk. I know that I do not have enough drainage in my build to rely on it. However, later on in the fights their monks can be low on energy. Also, our monks use Energy Drain on their monks, further adding to the effectiveness of Mind Wrack.

3. Put in 'shatter hex'

It sure does good damage, but it does not help me shut down a monk. If it is too good to pass up, I guess I will use it.

You will find that there are certain skills with a fast recharge time that will shut down monks completely (hint hint..find out for yourself).

I prefer not to use Blackout, since I am a big believer in mobility, and I think it is too dangerous for me to venture too close to their monks. I can see your build with arcane echo/energy drain/blackout working, though; I just don't like it, since I like Power Block so much.

Let me rephrase the question: Assuming I use Power Block (with 16 dom), which other 6 (or 5, with Shatter Hex) skills are most effective at shutting down another monk? I prefer not to use Blackout; I could be wrong here, and it could be a "must".