PDA

View Full Version : Ascalon Saved! (Northlands cleared... solo) - video

Dr Morbius
12-08-2005, 13:52
At this point, I realize that pre-searing is a distant memory for many players. As for myself, I certainly spend 99% of my gaming time in post. However, I do have one character (Darth Xader) that I've intentionally left in pre for the sole purpose of aiding new guild members.

A few days ago, for whatever reason, I decided to venture beyond the north wall and see if I could take out "all" of the Charr in the Northlands by myself. I'd done this before with a friend, but had never attempted it solo.

The following video chronicles the "result":

Charr-Grilled (http://www.geobay.net/crimsonmantle/media/charr-grilled.wmv)

(warning... I was bored so I got a little creative)

Cocotroid
12-08-2005, 15:09
:lol: That was hilarious!

hippoid
12-08-2005, 17:52
nicely put together - made me smile :happy53:

dab
12-08-2005, 18:27
That was great.

ZefvoneeGreff
12-08-2005, 18:33
:lol: Haha. Great.

Jahoclave
12-08-2005, 19:55
I would definitly have to say, the funky chicken is the most insulting corpse dancing move ever. This movie cracked me up.

Aria Darkstorm
13-08-2005, 00:05
nice pretty funny

Mirk
13-08-2005, 01:30
LOL. :lol:

Nikhera
13-08-2005, 04:46
That'sthe funniest thing I've seen in a while. :D Awesome!

kamotu
13-08-2005, 05:47
just wondering, what lvl were u

Slotter Killer
13-08-2005, 06:02
One of the funniest movies ever, nice job

Dr Morbius
13-08-2005, 23:20
just wondering, what lvl were u

I had just turned level 10 when I did this. After I was done, I was level 11. Took about 3 1/2 hours to do. Serious divide an conquer tactics.

Mouse Under Leaf
14-08-2005, 07:47
Oh, LMAO! Nice music choice too... =heh=

Jahoclave
14-08-2005, 07:52
Oh, LMAO! Nice music choice too... =heh=
Yeah, makes me want to reinstall fraps and make a movie of me blowing up charr with putrid for all the little times the song woofs. Too bad charr don't go moo when you kill them...

But I here by dub that song the offical charr slaying song.

navdeep
14-08-2005, 19:57
That was the best. :lol:

BrotherKurupt
18-08-2005, 11:08
hahahahahahahhahahah oh my that was the best, it really was

Barinthus
19-08-2005, 08:21
Also what class?

deya
19-08-2005, 10:50
Male elementalist dance moves.

Very nicely done, bursted out laughing 8D

Dr Morbius
19-08-2005, 14:09
Also what class?

I used an El/Mo for the video. But I've also soloed it using an El/Me... which proved to be easier.

( Conjure Phantasm > Bane Signet )

trowabartan
20-08-2005, 22:47
I'm glad I streamed it instead of saving...

Exclamation Mark
21-08-2005, 06:11
How'd you get in the northlands alone? I thought you could only get in with a partner

trowabartan
21-08-2005, 16:29
Yeah you can only get to it with a partner but I guess you can have your partner map out or just die...of course we'll never know if that was the case

Dr Morbius
22-08-2005, 17:56
Yeah you can only get to it with a partner but I guess you can have your partner map out or just die...of course we'll never know if that was the case

That's exactly what I had someone do (map out). And for those who doubt that it was a solo effort, I'll extend the same offer I did on another forum. I invite you to get me through the wall, sit back and watch me do it again. Be warned though, It takes a while so you may get bored... however, you'll get the idea of how I do it within the first few minutes (easier than you think).

The only real challenge is taking out the bosses once all of the others are killed. They don't like to stray too far from the ritual site. Jaw Smokeskin (I think that's his name) is a bit tricky because you have to lure him just far enough away to where the Charr Monk Boss won't quickly heal him, but not too far to where he goes running back. It's a tough margin to find, but it can be found.

Divinity chaos
22-08-2005, 21:19
nice one. love the music choice to go with that.

i wouldnt mind watching u do that :P

im glad i saved it, so i can watch it over and over and keep laughing.

well done that was awesome

gonna do anything similar? maybe clearing out the breach this time? :P

divinity

Dr Morbius
22-08-2005, 23:19
nice one. love the music choice to go with that.

i wouldnt mind watching u do that :P

im glad i saved it, so i can watch it over and over and keep laughing.

well done that was awesome

gonna do anything similar? maybe clearing out the breach this time? :P

divinity

Glad you liked it. Actually, if you wanted to see how I did it, you wouldn't have to watch long to understand the tactic. I can just take you in there and show you the secret if you like. But then you'll be less impressed :(

At any rate, whisper me ( Dr Morbius ) in game in the near future if you'd like to see because I'm finally going to be deleting Darth Xader soon. He's served his purpose in getting some of our guild recruits through pre, and he's just taking up a slot space now. But I'll hold on to him a bit longer.

And yes, I'm working on another idea for a video :)

trowabartan
23-08-2005, 05:24
I suppose I don't really doubt it I just don't know why you wouldn't show it in a video boasting about it and atleast bits and pieces of you killing some char bosses with atleast the party box up if you wanted to keep the rest hidden(as to why you'd want to hide pre-sear skills though *shrugs*, I know some people like to blank out their skills when they boast like the guy who made the underworld and hydra video with the biggest thing in farming builds at the time >_<).

I guess it was just the way it was presented...Ascalon saved(Northlands cleared...solo) to a minute of the movie just building up your assault on the charr with pans of the char and narration to...silly dancing after the fact with technically nothing to show you did it? Sorry, that's just how I felt

...I don't know. I also saw lots of people(for the gwonline's movie section) say it was awesome so I thought there must be something amazing in there. It was basically the video version of all the people I've seen take screen shots of clearing the north.

Dr Morbius
23-08-2005, 13:33
I suppose I don't really doubt it I just don't know why you wouldn't show it in a video boasting about it and atleast bits and pieces of you killing some char bosses with atleast the party box up if you wanted to keep the rest hidden

Ok... fair enough questions. But let me simply state that the whole idea of doing a video was an afterthought. I did not go into the Northlands with the idea that I could actually clear out "all" of the Charr including the bosses. My intention was to kill as many as I could to get XP and obtain some good drops to give to some of our new guildies (lots of dye drops, charr hides, and purple items containing runes to be had in the Northlands).

BTW, I got 2 black dyes on that run... and I must admit I kept those for myself :)

Anyway, after clearing most of the charr (which is so easy it almost feels like cheating), I realized all that I had left were the charr at the ritual site, and wondered if I could actually clear them by myself (although I highly doubted it). Once I finally achieved this, I then took plenty of screenshots. It was only at this time, that I decided to lower my resolution, turn off anti-aliasing, minimize the game, start up Fraps, and get some video of me dancing on the corpses to show some of my guildmates.

That's when things got out of hand (creatively speaking). The idea of the "Charr-Grilled" video popped into my head and I got on a roll. Also, I wanted the resulting video to have the initial feel of one of the in-game cinematic scenes, and that's why I removed the interface... and I think it worked out quite well (it wasn't intended to be a farming video and I wasn't trying to hide things). Also note that the first parts of the video were actually done last (had to get another person to get me through the wall again to record that part) and edited it to make it look like it came first... because again... it was an afterthought.

And yet again, I make the offer... whisper me in-game ( Dr Morbius ) and I'll be glad to show you how it's done. And if you like, you can record all the video you want (interface and all).

Regards

Note to all: BTW, If you get purple items containing runes in the pre-searing Northlands, take my advice and don't try to salvage them until you or someone else gets them to into post (and use an expert salvage kit).