PDA

View Full Version : Spell/skill of the day 8/16/2005 Divine Intervention

bllius
17-08-2005, 03:31
And now from the DF line.

Divine Intervention
Description: For 10 seconds, the next time target ally receives damage that would be fatal, the damage is negated and that ally is healed for 26-197 health.
Energy Cost: 10
Activation Time: 1/4th of a Second.
Recharge Time: 30 Seconds.
Linked Attribute Divine Favor. Increases health recovered.
Skill Type: Enchantment Spell.
Aavailability:
* Gammel: Copperhammer Mines (OP)

I really, really want to use this spell. Unfortunately, it does not work too well for the simple reason that when close to death, most people panic. If they panic, they make mistakes and do foolish things.

Say somebody is under a sustained attack. As a normal healing monk your typical reaction would be to heal them. With this spell, instead of healing them, you enchant them, and HOPE that their health drops to zero. Now let's say you're the one under attack, as you slowly watch that red bar drop, you suddenly feel the need to get away from those attacks, which means you run away, with your health near zero, and watch as the enchantment runs out, only to die with the next hit.

This fire and forget heal is dependent on a level of trust and NON-intervention from a second person like another monk, or the person using a self-heal. It would be best in any group to actually know what this spell is before zoning, or entering a PVP situation, understanding it and its limitations, and then trusting it's use (and calling it when casting). Due to these limitations, I would suggest not bringing this into PVE unless you know the people you're dealing with, or if you're using henchies (because, even if they die, who cares).

Since it is an enchantment, it can be removed. The long recharge time is also a serious problem. It's a cheap heal (almost 200 health for 10 energy at max without DF bonus). The problem is that it is so conditional on things going right (or wrong, depending on how you look at it) that it's almost not worth it.

If your group has a clue and you're not worried about enchantment removal, then I would suggest bringing it for those emergencies (bring something that lengthens enchantments).

Bravo
17-08-2005, 04:03
Although the divine favor bonus will work against the 200ish heal since it puts them further from death...

Mgzkun
17-08-2005, 06:54
Venegance+Divine Intervention = h4x0r , rez without DP :p

Nobleman Azure
17-08-2005, 10:25
The above combo or unyielding aura is viable.

However, its most useful if you know how to use divine intervention in other ways rather than just an anti vengeance/unyielding death.

This is quite hard to do for reasons bilius mentioned. However this can very well be a healing monk's (since they have divine favor) anti spiker spell.

Excel
17-08-2005, 14:51
Venegance+Divine Intervention = h4x0r , rez without DP :p

That does not really work. You get DP when you die not when you get rezzed. Vengeance & unyielding aura does not cause death peanalty WHILE you have the enchantments on you but if you use divine intervention when vengeance is about to run out it results in the target being alive and not under vengeance which means the next time he dies, he still gets DP.

Advalorem
17-08-2005, 15:14
You're right. The only reason you'd use vengeance/unyielding with DI is for the 100% energy recovery.

I've tried divine intervention a few times, and I just don't like it. Slap it on someone when they're near dead, and all's well until you get hit by shatter enchantments. Dead.

I'd much rather just heal them.

Neone
19-08-2005, 07:43
So Divine Intervention will prevent deaths from Vengeance or Unyielding aura breaking?

Nobleman Azure
19-08-2005, 09:42
So Divine Intervention will prevent deaths from Vengeance or Unyielding aura breaking?

yes it will.

Corporeal Ghost
23-11-2005, 06:52

If it does, it's worded extremely poorly. It reads:

For 10 seconds, the next time target ally would receive DAMAGE that would be fatal...

Based on textual interpretation, this should not trigger on either Vengeance or Unyielding Aura being removed. However, I have not (and likely will not) test it.

Bersus
23-11-2005, 07:19
From my experiences, this skill generally doesn't work well in PvE, but in PvP, and especially against spike teams, it's wonderful.

When I run Infuse Health to defeat spiking in PvP, I almost always pack Divine intervention as well. You can cast it on a target of a spike, so when their health bottoms out, they'll get a nice boost in health akin to an infuse, but for 5 less energy and the nasty side effect of loosing half your health (This works especially well against spikes that consist of heavy damage skills as it negates the damage that would bring the target to 0 hp) or, you can cast it on yourself and be relatively secure that you won't be offed instantly after your next several Infuses.

As for the DI + Vengance/UA question, I could be wrong but I thought Anet alreadt fixed that.

zergirl
23-11-2005, 09:08
As for the DI + Vengance/UA question, I could be wrong but I thought Anet alreadt fixed that.

yes, fixed

Zaxares
24-11-2005, 00:48
So DI will no longer save you if you have Vengeance/Unyielding Aura on you and V/UA runs out?

I like to keep Divine Intervention with me in PvP for saving my posterior. Nothing annoys warriors or spikers more than seeing an enemy monk almost dead, only to suddenly jump back to more than half their health. I also like taking DI when I'm using my Smiting build, because I don't have the points in Healing Prayers to keep myself alive effectively. It has its uses, but DI is not a good spell for keeping fellow party members alive, certainly.