PDA

View Full Version : (Merged) Err=7 Thread

Xenomorph
16-05-2005, 19:59
sorry if a solution to this was already posted. i cant find any info on this.

It sometimes happens just seconds after logging in.

Sometimes it happens 40 minutes into a 50 minute quest.

Everytime it happens, I want to scream. I HATE losing progress, messing up a difficult mission, and having run back where i just came from because of these RANDOM disconnects.

i can be running around, and then BAM! im looking at the login screen again.

Setup:
Athlon 64 3000+ (754)
NForce 3 chipset/sound/network
1 Gig RAM
WinXP SP2
Netgear RP614v2 router/network

i've seem some recommendations to open port 6112, so i did. no help.

anyone know what i can do? what to check for, etc??

please help. its killing the game experience for me.

TienIsCool
18-05-2005, 02:39
Argh, I got this problem too, sometimes it happens like 5 times in a minute and it pissess me off so much... I might just sell my copy to a friend or something if this problem keeps persisting..

Svenn
18-05-2005, 16:12
Lot of problems with Netgear routers...have you tried disabling port triggering?

Xenomorph
18-05-2005, 17:29
Lot of problems with Netgear routers...have you tried disabling port triggering?

yeah, i did that. err=7 has happened once though since then.

kleang
18-05-2005, 18:29
I also found this error 4 times within 2 hours. What's happen with GW today, rarely found it since released. :mad:

Kuroi Ookami
18-05-2005, 19:52
Last night I got the same thing when my internet went out. So maybe if you have programs in the background using you internet *p2p type stuff uploading or downloading for example* it could in theory be causing that. Also if your using a router with another computer on the network and it's using alot of bandwidth while you're playing.

TienIsCool
19-05-2005, 04:58
dang it, when I get this error now, it lags first and makes my character just stop running and everything comes to a standstill.. then it disconnects my internet on the recieving side...

Xenomorph
19-05-2005, 08:55
ok, i just hooked up my Linksys BEFSR41v3 and got an Error 7 again. so i know it has nothing to do with my Netgear router.

Lerxst_of_Syrinx
19-05-2005, 09:30
sorry if a solution to this was already posted. i cant find any info on this.

It sometimes happens just seconds after logging in.

Sometimes it happens 40 minutes into a 50 minute quest.

Everytime it happens, I want to scream. I HATE losing progress, messing up a difficult mission, and having run back where i just came from because of these RANDOM disconnects.

i can be running around, and then BAM! im looking at the login screen again.

Setup:
Athlon 64 3000+ (754)
NForce 3 chipset/sound/network
1 Gig RAM
WinXP SP2

i've seem some recommendations to open port 6112, so i did. no help.

anyone know what i can do? what to check for, etc??

please help. its killing the game experience for me.

First thing you need to find out is if you have a stable connection.
Open a command prompt: Start. Run. Type in: cmd [Hit Enter]
In the DOS prompt box type: ipconfig /all
Write down your Default Gateway IP. (Probably something like 192.168.0.1)
At the prompt type: ping -t [put default gateway IP here] >c:\pingtest.txt
It will look like this: ping -t 192.168.0.1 >c:\pingtest.txt
Let this run for about 1 hour. You don't have to sit around the computer while it's doing this.
After an hour come back and hit [Ctrl + C] in the DOS prompt window to stop the test.
Now open My Computer double-click C: then double-click the pingtest file to open it.
Scroll through the file to see if there are any "No responses" or "timeouts". They should be easy to find because they do not look like the other longer lines. An extensive number of these timeouts will cause network problems and Err 7.

Let me know the results and we may be able to find a solution to this problem.

Lerxst_of_Syrinx
19-05-2005, 09:47

You may also want to check to make sure you are on the latest firmware for your Netgear router. IT looks like the latest version fixes a lot of network connectivity issues.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=703

Xenomorph
19-05-2005, 17:44
You may also want to check to make sure you are on the latest firmware for your Netgear router. IT looks like the latest version fixes a lot of network connectivity issues.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=703

its funny you said to make sure and use the latest firmware, as that link points to a version of the firmware that is at least TWO VERSIONS OLDER than what i'm using.

that link points to 5.20 (from May 2004). Netgear has the 6.0 version listed on their site as well, and right now i'm using 6.1 (March '05)

regardless, even with the Linksys router i get the errors.

Xenomorph
19-05-2005, 18:53
First thing you need to find out is if you have a stable connection.

It will look like this: ping -t 192.168.0.1 >c:\pingtest.txt
Let this run for about 1 hour. You don't have to sit around the computer while it's doing this.

Scroll through the file to see if there are any "No responses" or "timeouts". They should be easy to find because they do not look like the other longer lines. An extensive number of these timeouts will cause network problems and Err 7.

Let me know the results and we may be able to find a solution to this problem.

just a whole lot of this:

Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=150

nothing else.

Lerxst_of_Syrinx
19-05-2005, 18:59
just a whole lot of this:

nothing else.

That says you have a nice stable connection to your router, which most likely means your problems lie between you and your ISP. I don't know the type of connection you use to your ISP so I probably can't help much more. You could try to ping your ISPs DSN server the same way and see if you get drops. Of course, your ISP could block pings so it may not work at all.

You can find your DSN server's IP address with ipconfig /all.

Caden
20-05-2005, 21:29
I noticed you first posted about this on 5/16. Were you getting the error before that? That was about when I started getting this error too. Have had zero problems with GW since release until then. But this week I've gotten err=7 randomly, sometimes once in a 3-hour play session, sometimes multiple times in an hour.

Just often enough to seriously tick me (and anyone I'm grouped with at the time) off.

Maybe it has something to do with a recent update?

Xenomorph
21-05-2005, 10:24
I noticed you first posted about this on 5/16. Were you getting the error before that? That was about when I started getting this error too. Have had zero problems with GW since release until then. But this week I've gotten err=7 randomly, sometimes once in a 3-hour play session, sometimes multiple times in an hour.

Just often enough to seriously tick me (and anyone I'm grouped with at the time) off.

Maybe it has something to do with a recent update?

i have noticed it more frequently recently it seems like. thats perhaps i know what im doing now and spending more time with the game.

i've tried different network card drivers, 2 different routers, etc. im using a different DSL modem now. if that doesnt work, im gonna try a different network card.

Xenomorph
21-05-2005, 21:46
ok, now i've tried:

- two network cards (NForce 3 and Realtek 8139), each with two sets of drivers.

- three routers, Netgear RT314 and RP614v2 and Linksys BEFSR41v3.

- two DSL modems, SpeedStream 5100b and 5260/5660

- i've had Routers handle the connection and i've had Windows handle the connection.

with all those combinations i'm still dumped out of the game RANDOMLY with Err=7 (while everything else connected runs fine).

torque
21-05-2005, 22:43
the problem lies with your ISP. I was getting the same errors last night when my cable was randomly going on and off. If you are getting a steady connection with your router, and have tried different modems, it has to be your ISP. I was wondering what you have. I have charter cable and usually recieve no problems.

Xenomorph
22-05-2005, 02:00
the problem lies with your ISP. I was getting the same errors last night when my cable was randomly going on and off. If you are getting a steady connection with your router, and have tried different modems, it has to be your ISP. I was wondering what you have. I have charter cable and usually recieve no problems.

i have SBC DSL.

my friend w/ SBC DSL has no problems.

lots of people with SBC DSL have no problems. it seems Guild Wars has a lot of problems sharing the connection. the less stuff i have running in the background, the less chance i have of getting a random err=7.

torque
22-05-2005, 07:48
maybe a reinstall :confused:

Xenomorph
22-05-2005, 08:28
maybe a reinstall :confused:

i've had 3 installs of the game now. both from CD and from web download.

TienIsCool
24-05-2005, 04:10
Hey, can you help me out too? I did your ping test on my default gateway and it times out everytime but when I did the ping test with the DNS servers it worked fine... Oh and my IP adress for the dafault gateway is a bit different from what you suggested it would be.. mine is in this format ---> XX.XX.XX.XX

Belly Button
24-05-2005, 05:10
I'm having a horrible time with the game. My character will start to run, then slow down to a stand still and procede to turn around in circles... mocking me...

I don't know what to do, I don't have problems playing any other game online. I have a T1 connection, and my comp specs are well over the Requirement. I live in an Apt Complex so I dont even know who runs our internet and I dont have a router or a modem. I just connect directly into the wall.

I occasionally get the Error=7 message, but most of the time I just stand there doing circles while my team has to fight without me... This is really annoying. Does anyone know what I can do? I have uninstalled/reinstalled my video card and sound card drivers, trying different drivers out and I still lag.

calderstrake
24-05-2005, 06:10
i have SBC DSL.

my friend w/ SBC DSL has no problems.

lots of people with SBC DSL have no problems. it seems Guild Wars has a lot of problems sharing the connection. the less stuff i have running in the background, the less chance i have of getting a random err=7.
Have you verified that you have no spyware/viruses running and aren't trying to download large files while playing?

Xenomorph
24-05-2005, 06:25
Have you verified that you have no spyware/viruses running and aren't trying to download large files while playing?

it seems the cause of 99.9% of the Err=7 issues i got was because i was downloading/uploading tons of stuff with Azureus.

i keep my bandwidth throttled, so transfers do NOT interfer with any other program or game. Guild Wars it the ONLY thing i've ran that has had issues with downloading stuff.

Lerxst_of_Syrinx
24-05-2005, 07:02
it seems the cause of 99.9% of the Err=7 issues i got was because i was downloading/uploading tons of stuff with Azureus.

I keep reading about people listening to MP3s or downloading while playing Guild Wars. Don't you people know these programs suck up huge amounts of resources and processor time, taking the necessary computing power away from Guild Wars?

kleang
24-05-2005, 08:39
So anyone know exactly what the meaning of error no. 7?

TienIsCool
25-05-2005, 00:32
Well I'm still having these problems... I hate this so much.. stupid game costed me 40 bucks, please someone try to find some ways to fix this problem...

Svenn
25-05-2005, 00:36
So anyone know exactly what the meaning of error no. 7?

Lost connection.

elbertc
25-05-2005, 01:43
Error 7 means you've lost connection to the server. Sorry to say it, but it also usually mean it's on your side. If you're using a modem, make sure that there is no line noise causing you to disconnect all the time. (It's not as noticeable when you're not utilizing your connection 100% of the time like when you're web browsing.)

If you're on broadband, check to see if your provider isn't doing any maintenance on the line. Go to http://www.dslreports.com and run some of their network tests. Also, check the throughput of your connection from the same site. It'll show you how much data you're allowed to pump through each second.

Additionally, if you're using broadband and you have a router sitting between the modem and your computer, check to make sure it's not doing port blocking or that it's not intermittenly seizing up.

This holds true for software firewalls as well.

StarSword
27-05-2005, 23:13
For those experiencing this problem who use verizon online DSL to connect to the internet, the problem might be the ISP. They changed some settings around, screwing their customers over.

ares416
28-05-2005, 05:26
I have this problem as well with a cable modem and router (Adelphia). How do I check my router for these problems? Should I just reset it? I've never had this problem with other online games. It's happening every night several times in a row. And its only been this week - not any time before that I have played this game. Strange...

Arakasi
30-05-2005, 05:16
I keep reading about people listening to MP3s or downloading while playing Guild Wars. Don't you people know these programs suck up huge amounts of resources and processor time, taking the necessary computing power away from Guild Wars?

And don't YOU realize that alot of people have more than enough processor power to handle multiple instances of Guildwars at once, let alone running a few torrents and guildwars simutaneously.

I have happily had two instances of WOW running, and guildwars - all at once, alt-tabbing between them at will. However, Guildwars cannot manage to run one instance of itself - and have a torrent or two downloading in the background (With bandwidth throttling customized to suit) without disconnecting peeps.

In a nutshell as far as replying to this quote goes - It has **** all to do with resources and processor time. It has everything to do with some buggy issue Guildwars has when dealing with the fact that its not getting ALL bandwidth at all times - and that in itself is far worse than lag.

Funnily enough, on a mission with henchmen - Guildwars was using no more than 2k down/1k up at any given time. Considering I have 1500/256 - Why the hell shouldn't I be able to use some of that extra bandwidth? Lag I can handle, but being randomly disconnected with the old "ERR=7" msg is just plain bull****.

Xenomorph
30-05-2005, 09:21
yeah, the issue is easily something with Guild Wars.

my specs:
Athlon 64 3000+, 1 Gig of RAM, 3 Mbps down, 512 Kbps up DSL.

i'm able to run both WoW and Guild Wars at the same time. in fact, just about everything i run works perfectly with WoW and EVERY other game.

Guild Wars is the ONLY program/game i've EVER ran that has had such a horrible issue with another program on my computer.

It doesnt matter if i'm watching TV, watching a DVD, burning a CD, downloading MP3s, downloading torrents of Linux ISOs, and playing WoW and Guild Wars ALL AT THE SAME TIME, my computer can handle it just fine.

its when im just downloading torrents does Guild Wars crash out on me. its not handling connections right or something. its not getting disconnected. 10 other things are sharing the connection just fine (the connection was DESIGNED to be shared - to have multiple things using it). Guild Wars doesnt play well with other stuff.

its not our computers, its Guild Wars.

you know, there was a similar thing right when Half-Life 2 came out. on my computer (and several other people's computers) - we were experiencing corrupted textures. textures were messed up, had weird colors, etc.

lots of posts were made where people were asking for fixes. guess what happened? those who werent experiencing the problem pointed their finger at our computers. they blamed bad drivers, bad hardware, bad configurations, etc. even though every other game ran fine except for HL2, they said it was still our computer's fault.

after days/weeks of trying to defend our computers, guess what happened? Valve admitted certain things that would have resulted in corrupted game textures and released a patch that allowed Steam to self-correct the data files for the games. after that - all my texture corruption went away.

i'm just waiting for a patch from ArenaNet saying they've fixed disconnection issues "under certain circumstances"... then people will stop telling us "oh its your system. you're running the wrong things in the background. even though your computer was designed from the ground up to run 100 tasks, make sure you close everything because Guild Wars wont run right with other stuff running. and oh, thats not Guild Wars' fault it doesnt run right with other stuff. its your computer's fault."

Svenn
30-05-2005, 16:17
GW, like a fair maiden, wants all of your attention...or none at all. :lol:

Seriously, I stream MusicMatch CD-quality radio in the background sometimes while playing and have never had an error 7.

Amusing aside: The other night I stayed up too late PvP'ing and, unbeknowst to me at the time, my auto-scheduled Diskeeper (defrag) kicked off and, wow, really, really bad lag-like symptoms. About 3-4 one second spurts came through and then the fight was over, LOL. Good thing we won.

Jehosaphat
31-05-2005, 04:31
For those experiencing this problem who use verizon online DSL to connect to the internet, the problem might be the ISP. They changed some settings around, screwing their customers over.

I'm a Verizon DSL user, and had few problems until last week sometime. From then on, I've been getting Err 7 disconnections left and right, much to the chagrin of groups with whom I've been trying to clear Elona Reach.

Asmodeth
31-05-2005, 05:06
I have had similar symptoms and email GW Support. They educated me that the Err-7 problem is mostly caused by the use of Verizon DSL ISP. Since that is my ISP I can confirm the 15-minute DHCP lease duration everyone is talking about. It really sucks, but you will get kicked every 15-25 minutes if you use Verizon. If you want them to fix them, email and call. I have emailed everyday since I learned it is their fault. My friend has Comcast Cable and he's fine, I have DSL and sure enough you can bet money that after 15-25 minutes my game will freeze, my character can walk through zone boundries and go no where and then the character is frozen. Wait another 1 minute or so and Err-7 comes up. It is Verizon's fault. Their lack of foresight into their idiotic 15 minute lease duration is causing this to happen to us. Everyday this problem persists Verizon sends the message that it does not care about us gamers. They will not fix it probably until someone dies cause of it for whatever reason. As a customer of theirs I feeled abandoned and betrayed. I cannot play online games without getting kicked and download anything that takes longer then 25-30 minutes because the connection is reset. Before you download a download program like netvampire or whatever, make sure you email Verizon and tell them you are dissatisfied. It seems the only language they speak is money. Maybe if enough customers threaten to pull out they'll change, and thats a big maybe. VERIZON IS THE CAUSE!

Sparksol
31-05-2005, 05:12
A cause, maybe, but certainly not the only one.

I'm on dial-up, and keep getting the error 7 after less than a half-hour of play. I'm not downloading or uploading anything, no other programs running, no firewall problems, just error 7 followed by disconnection from the net.

moonangie
31-05-2005, 05:34

Well, I am a Verizon DSL customer. Please let us know the following:

- What changes did Verizon DSL make that are interfering with the game?
- GW worked great until about May 21st, which may be when Verizon made these changes. Does this jibe with others experience?
- What steps can we take to have Verizon fix these changes or what can we do on the client side to avoid the impact of these changes?
- Do you think that Verizon DSL customers will simply be unable to avoid ERR=7 and thus will be unable to ever play GW reliably?

Please answer to this thread. Thanks.

Cybermancer
31-05-2005, 06:25
I found out on another forum that Verizon DSL is to blame. Since i have Verizon and constantly get kicked it sounds pretty likely to me. Something about the DHCP lease duration resetting. So its not your router or computer. Thats what I thought at first before heading to forums and finding many similar posts to mine. Verizon is the problem if you use there DSL service like I do. I think I need a new ISP. One that doesn't suck.

:confused: :mad:

Cybermancer
31-05-2005, 07:12
If you have Verizon DSL and are having this problem here is their support number to call for PA Verizon customers. Taken from their support page.

Former Bell Atlantic

New Service, Changes to Existing Service and Billing

Questions

English
800-660-2215
Monday - Friday 8:00am - 6:00pm EST

Asmodeth
31-05-2005, 07:26
After calling and going through their automated run-around I finally go the Verizon DSL support number. Got a Error 7 Verizon problem, let Verizon know what you think about it.

**1-800-567-6789**

Good luck. :mad:

powerglow
31-05-2005, 07:32
i cant play gw more than an hour but i can play wow for a whole day on dialup. i think its the game . the server needs to be upgraded or something.

try to play other games and see if those gives u problems.

ares416
31-05-2005, 14:17
I"m glad someone at least found a cause to this problem, but what about us Non-Verizon subscribers who are still having this problem?

I called Adelphia and they said it may be a kink in the wire or some interference. If not then I was to call back so they can set up a service call to come to my house at a time that is totally inconvenient to me and tell me that everything is fine with my connection and that it "Should Be Working Fine Now".

I really don't feel like going through this - any other suggestions?

By the way, I don't have a problem with kissing GW's --- and letting it hog up all my resources. I even disasbled my firewall and still had the err = 7 disconnect. Nothing will please this fair maiden!!!

Svenn
31-05-2005, 15:43
Well, I am a Verizon DSL customer. Please let us know the following:
. . . .
Please answer to this thread. Thanks.
Best thing to do would be to catch up and subscribe to this thread (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13166665~mode=flat~days=9999) on the DSL/Broadband Reports forum.

Svenn
31-05-2005, 15:57
I"m glad someone at least found a cause to this problem, but what about us Non-Verizon subscribers who are still having this problem?
. . . . By the way, I don't have a problem with kissing GW's --- and letting it hog up all my resources. I even disasbled my firewall and still had the err = 7 disconnect. Nothing will please this fair maiden!!!Well, you know, that's just the way some maidens are...partially explains the divorce rate. :love30:

The error also seems to be fairly common to those with wireless routers and also those with dialup. GW seems to be very sensitive to brief network/internet interruptions. Dialup: People with poor line quality in rural areas are probably being haunted by error 7's. Also, the line quality in your area can be excellent but very poor inside your dwelling. Winmodems tend to suck and that might contribute. I'm glad to say I've forgotten most other things about dialup, thank God.

While we are somewhat on the DHCP topic (apparently the Verizon problem), one person reported that using DHCP on his local router was causing error 7's and setting up a static IP solved the problem. YMMV.

Dar Greymere
16-06-2005, 04:20
OK, is there anyone else out there who is now suddenly being dropped almost like clockwork every 30-35 minutes or so with an err 7? This started happening today around 16:30 PST and now I've been dropped four times up until 19:00 PST when I was dropped in the middle of a mission so I logged for good. Oddly enough, this is around the time that I usually see a GW update. :rolleyes:

-Dar

Dar Greymere
16-06-2005, 09:46
Something I noticed that no one has said regarding their err 7 disconnect and their next re-connect is their location in-game from when they were discconected and when they re-connected. GW keeps track of where a character is located when they enter/leave a town and saves that information to their servers, right? Given that the aforementioned statement is true then one can presume that if I leave Druid's Overlook and port to Dragnor's Forge, walked around in the town, etc. that an err 7 after having ported to Dragnor's would result in my character being in Dragnor's when I log back in, right? I've been playing GW since release and suddenly, as of 06/15/2005 at 4:30 PM PST, I received an err 7 after having ported from one town to another, walked around the town, sold gear to a merchant, etc. When I re-connected I was in the town I had been in before I ported about five minutes or so previous. Has anyone noticed whether or not this is not happening when they get an err 7? I have received quite a few of these err 7's since 4:30 PM PST and I'm going to go back into the game now and see if they continue.

So, while the root cause of some issues may be Verizon DSL, D/Ling files, etc. I can't see how my ISP's (not Verizon) connectivity has anything to do with a character being in the wrong place when I log back in after an err 7. That is an issue with Guild Wars.

-Dar

Drakmor
17-06-2005, 10:16
ive been dropped occasionally from lag issues. but you may be dropped for compatibility. if you dont have the current build when everyone else does you pose a problem. i know guild wars doesnt officially take the server down. but if you consider other games like diablo 2, they kick everyone off when they institute and update. it would seem if your always dropping when new builds come out that would be the problem. if not its prob lag ive had a similar problem in the past with lagging out after every 40 min. but after a few days the problem kinda corrected itself. and i have cable so it wasnt because dial up is slow..

Paladin of DK
17-06-2005, 11:31
Err 7 in my experience occurs when you loose connection or get high latency.

Several things that could cause this to happen on a "regular" basis.

Bad Nic or Modem if your nic/modem card is failing it could have intermitent problems causing this problem.

Bad nic/modem drivers make sure you have the latest drivers

Problems with your ISP - Maybe your ISP has problems with latency during peek hours.

Program in the background eating up bandwith (usually any type of file sharing software)

Well hope this helps some if you provide a little more info (i.e. OS, System specs, connection type, ISP etc) I may be able to help a bit more.

Eothain
17-06-2005, 21:36
Im not able to get in game, at the morning i was stuck at char selection, and i was geting stuck at the load on at 0% forever, i reinstalled etc and now i'm stuck at the account logging in, after a while with the box: Connecting, it says Error = 7, been like this for like 8horus, what can i do?

Mortshd
17-06-2005, 21:50
Im not able to get in game, at the morning i was stuck at char selection, and i was geting stuck at the load on at 0% forever, i reinstalled etc and now i'm stuck at the account logging in, after a while with the box: Connecting, it says Error = 7, been like this for like 8horus, what can i do?
Did you change any settings to your computer from the last login?

Eothain
17-06-2005, 22:10
Did you change any settings to your computer from the last login?

Well, i only did a windows update install, but i restored system to the old configurationa nd it still happens

Mortshd
17-06-2005, 22:36
How do you connect to the internet? Dial-up, broadband... Also when you open up a browser, does it take long to load a page? Not sure what is your issue, just try to figure out what's going on. I had an error=7 one time while in the middle of a mission then kicked out, the whole group I was with, had the same error. We're able to log back in but couldn't start the same mission (same error again when we tried to enter it). So it could be also be the problem with the server(s) side.

Eothain
18-06-2005, 01:01
Everything else is fine, i can play world of warcraft, dark age of camelot, conect to ts, vent, msn, load any pages fine, checked download and upload speed, package lost... and support told me to remove my hub... how nice i could play for 2 weeks and now their dieais to remove my hub and destroy my home lan? becouse they did soemthing... i dont get it really

Mortshd
18-06-2005, 01:54
Not to remove the hub, how about cycle it, i.e. power off then on.

zeroday
18-06-2005, 02:01
Its not ur problem a bunch of users in Europe having this problem too.

Dar Greymere
18-06-2005, 02:27
Err 7 in my experience occurs when you loose connection or get high latency.

Several things that could cause this to happen on a "regular" basis.

Bad Nic or Modem if your nic/modem card is failing it could have intermitent problems causing this problem.

Bad nic/modem drivers make sure you have the latest drivers

Problems with your ISP - Maybe your ISP has problems with latency during peek hours.

Program in the background eating up bandwith (usually any type of file sharing software)

Well hope this helps some if you provide a little more info (i.e. OS, System specs, connection type, ISP etc) I may be able to help a bit more.

Something I noticed that no one has said regarding their err 7 disconnect and their next re-connect is their location in-game from when they were discconected and when they re-connected. GW keeps track of where a character is located when they enter/leave a town and saves that information to their servers, right? Given that the aforementioned statement is true then one can presume that if I leave Druid's Overlook and port to Dragnor's Forge, walked around in the town, etc. that an err 7 after having ported to Dragnor's would result in my character being in Dragnor's when I log back in, right? I've been playing GW since release and suddenly, as of 06/15/2005 at 4:30 PM PST, I received an err 7 after having ported from one town to another, walked around the town, sold gear to a merchant, etc. When I re-connected I was in the town I had been in before I ported about five minutes or so previous. Has anyone noticed whether or not this is not happening when they get an err 7? I have received quite a few of these err 7's since 4:30 PM PST and I'm going to go back into the game now and see if they continue.

So, while the root cause of some issues may be Verizon DSL, D/Ling files, etc. I can't see how my ISP's (not Verizon) connectivity has anything to do with a character being in the wrong place when I log back in after an err 7. That is an issue with Guild Wars.
-------------

I use NetLimiter to monitor bandwidth usage up and down and the most that GW has used is 2.47 MB down in an hour and .02 MB up in an hour. While I'm not d/ling, etc. while playing I find it hard to believe this game would choke on a 4MB/512 cable connection.

I apperciate your reply but after contacting TS on this one and receiving another update to GW the next time I logged in, the issue appears to have "gone away" as suddenly as it appeared. One note regarding the TS for this game, it sucks. I send a support request into these people with every piece of data one needs (unlike this post) and, after two copy & paste responses my third response from them is asking me the same information that's already included in the E-mail. Having performed software TS and subsequent QA professionally, I'm not surprised by their support as it's what I have come to expect. I only contacted them as they have been so highly praised, perhaps in this industry where one is lucky to receive any response, a sub-par TS can be praised, but in my business my company can live or die on the quality of our support\QA.

-Dar

PS. Thank God for forums such as these because sometimes one can't figure out the problem on one's own. Kudos to those who help out as well. :happy34:

Paladin of DK
18-06-2005, 04:39

-------------

I use NetLimiter to monitor bandwidth usage up and down and the most that GW has used is 2.47 MB down in an hour and .02 MB up in an hour. While I'm not d/ling, etc. while playing I find it hard to believe this game would choke on a 4MB/512 cable connection.

I apperciate your reply but after contacting TS on this one and receiving another update to GW the next time I logged in, the issue appears to have "gone away" as suddenly as it appeared. One note regarding the TS for this game, it sucks. I send a support request into these people with every piece of data one needs (unlike this post) and, after two copy & paste responses my third response from them is asking me the same information that's already included in the E-mail. Having performed software TS and subsequent QA professionally, I'm not surprised by their support as it's what I have come to expect. I only contacted them as they have been so highly praised, perhaps in this industry where one is lucky to receive any response, a sub-par TS can be praised, but in my business my company can live or die on the quality of our support\QA.

-Dar

PS. Thank God for forums such as these because sometimes one can't figure out the problem on one's own. Kudos to those who help out as well. :happy34:

Well actually I am comonly somewhere different after a disconnect.

I am surprised you get 4mb/512k from verizon. How much do you pay for that? Thier standard package is is 512k/128k, and honestly (at least in the Tampa area) it sucks. They are known by the local gamers/IT folks as having horrible latency issues. So it may have in fact been a ISP issue, as the game will actually funtion of a 56k modem. Especially since the update had no fixes or updates for the streaming and connection software. Even though you have a 4mb/512k conection that doesn't account for latency over verizons network.

Xemil
18-06-2005, 07:43
Yeah, I am currently in contact with my ISP and GuildWars support, trying to sort what the problem is.

So far, the only possible that we've come up with, is that, (I don't know about you guys) But I'm in New Zealand, and have to connect to the American servers. So in saying that, the only possibility that hasn't been ruled out is an overflow of information that the modem can't process, or can't process all at one time due to the overflow. We are still trying to work this out, and in the meantime, anyone with this problem care to state their country, and their ISP in case we can find any sort of pattern?
And my net connection is a 2mb/512kb connection, so the only part of the above stated problem that could be true, is an issue with my modem. Which has the latest drivers etc.

My ISP is TelstraClear, New Zealand.

(edit) As a note, I'm sure NCSoft wouldn't mind me asking you to do this, because it would be trying to correlate data on a problem to get a solution solved as soon as possible, and they had no problem releasing it to me so that we could try work out what the problem was. Now I don't know if you can add attachments, so just copy paste the relevant data into your post.

If you could do this, anyone that is, with or without the problem, it would be greatly appreciated, and if the website would prefer that the data isn't posted, then, if they don't mind the posting of email address's, which I'm sure they'll edit out if they don't allow it, you can email at this address, whatever is easiest for all parties involved.
This is what you can do, which would be a great help to me.
Go Start Menu->Run->cmd (or command on certain OS)
Then type the following in the window that comes up.
ping 64.154.197.2
then after that in the same box type,
pathping 64.154.197.2
then after that in the same box type,
tracert 64.154.197.2
and lastly,
telnet 64.154.197.2 6112

This will do the following, see if you can ping the GW server, it will tell you the path and any packet loss, tracert which is similar to pathping will be like providing a second opinion on the quality of the path to the server, and lastly, it will test if you can indeed connect to the server.

If you do this, and post your result, I will be able to look for similarities and also forward the information onto GW NCSoft Tech Support should it proove fruitful.

Eothain
18-06-2005, 13:12
a new day and i cant still connect, i did reconect my isp and such, today when i tried it downloaded 1mb patch, but i wasnt able to connect on the game :S

But well, if im not alone on this problem i think they will stop saying its my hub problem and they will notice they have got some problem. (how cna they keep saying its cuz i use a hub when i played for 2 weeks without a problem and now after a patch i cant connect)

Dar Greymere
18-06-2005, 13:21
Well actually I am comonly somewhere different after a disconnect.

I am surprised you get 4mb/512k from verizon. How much do you pay for that? Thier standard package is is 512k/128k, and honestly (at least in the Tampa area) it sucks. They are known by the local gamers/IT folks as having horrible latency issues. So it may have in fact been a ISP issue, as the game will actually funtion of a 56k modem. Especially since the update had no fixes or updates for the streaming and connection software. Even though you have a 4mb/512k conection that doesn't account for latency over verizons network.

Perhaps you may want to re-read my post in which I stated that my ISP wasn't Verizon (kinda makes your entire post moot)? :rolleyes:

-Dar

Eothain
18-06-2005, 13:32
hope they are happy now, i remvoed my hub and only added my computer to internet directly and the problem is the same, hurray! now we are sure its not 48930146510people's hub/router that broke up the same day! and only with their game!

zeroday
18-06-2005, 16:40
Now it works gogogogo :D

Lord Ferrebee lll
18-06-2005, 17:11
Yeah Tis Really Blows 2hours Here I Need To Play

Lord Ferrebee lll
18-06-2005, 17:13
Yeah Tis Really Blows 2hours Here I Need To PlayWHY CANT WE PLAY MAN THIS IS REALLY UNENJOYABLE.

Relativity
18-06-2005, 22:55
I've been having connection problems today aswell (in-game lag which ive NEVER had before). I think it might be something to do with the GW servers.

Dar Greymere
19-06-2005, 03:26
Just as a follow up to this issue. I logged in early this AM and was playing for about 15 minutes when I received a pop-up message telling me that my "network login expired" and that I needed to enter my password to log back in. I was dubious but I entered the password anyway, logged out and changed it. Then I sent an E-mail to Support regarding the "network login expired" message and what did I get as a reply?

Response (GM Moggie)06/18/2005 09:28 AM Hello **********,

Thank you for contacting Guild Wars Support about this. This may have just been a network hiccup. However, if you find that it persists, please let us know, and provide as much detail as possible.

Regards,
The Guild Wars Support Team

----------
Further research using Google revealed that a few posts, I believe on this very site, although an immediate search a few minutes ago didn't find them, that there are people receiving this "network login expired" in associaton with err7 disconnects and character displacement (showing up somewhere else, usually after a mission).

I did a search on these forums and found a thread in which a statement had been made during BWE that due to excessive network disconnect some people would not be playing the release version.

This small amount of data, for I've not bothered to do extensive research into this issue, say's the following:

1. GW support acknowledges that they have "network hiccups."
2. Frequent disconnects (err 7) were a problem in beta.

So, while, as I have already said, the root cause of an err 7 may be one's ISP or some other issue on the client side. Please don't fall into the hype that the problem is always on the client side and that it's the user's computer, router, nic card, etc. that's the problem. Good root cause analysis troubleshooting does not rule out variables that one doesnt like. :happy53:

So, while the GW Tech Support in one network connectivity issue pointedly ignored all of the information I provided to them and sent me an e-mail full of "staller questions" the next support issue with a network connectivity issue suggests that they may have experienced a network "hiccup." :rolleyes:

I know that networks aren't perfect and I'm not saying that they are. Just endeavoring to open some people's eyes who endeavor to help others so that they might be better equiped for root cause analysis troubleshooting. :D

-Dar

Paladin of DK
19-06-2005, 04:04
Perhaps you may want to re-read my post in which I stated that my ISP wasn't Verizon (kinda makes your entire post moot)? :rolleyes:

-Dar

Well I had been up for 26 hours at that point so you'll have to excuse the Verizon thing, however the point is not moot. The update contained NO streaming or connection fixes therefore indicating your ISP was most likely the culprit. My post was not necessarily specific to Verizon, as I have seen these issues over, Comcast, Road Runner, SBC, Sprint, and others.

Paladin of DK
19-06-2005, 04:14
Just as a follow up to this issue. I logged in early this AM and was playing for about 15 minutes when I received a pop-up message telling me that my "network login expired" and that I needed to enter my password to log back in. I was dubious but I entered the password anyway, logged out and changed it. Then I sent an E-mail to Support regarding the "network login expired" message and what did I get as a reply?

Response (GM Moggie)06/18/2005 09:28 AM Hello **********,

Thank you for contacting Guild Wars Support about this. This may have just been a network hiccup. However, if you find that it persists, please let us know, and provide as much detail as possible.

Regards,
The Guild Wars Support Team

----------
Further research using Google revealed that a few posts, I believe on this very site, although an immediate search a few minutes ago didn't find them, that there are people receiving this "network login expired" in associaton with err7 disconnects and character displacement (showing up somewhere else, usually after a mission).

I did a search on these forums and found a thread in which a statement had been made during BWE that due to excessive network disconnect some people would not be playing the release version.

This small amount of data, for I've not bothered to do extensive research into this issue, say's the following:

1. GW support acknowledges that they have "network hiccups."
2. Frequent disconnects (err 7) were a problem in beta.

So, while, as I have already said, the root cause of an err 7 may be one's ISP or some other issue on the client side. Please don't fall into the hype that the problem is always on the client side and that it's the user's computer, router, nic card, etc. that's the problem. Good root cause analysis troubleshooting does not rule out variables that one doesnt like. :happy53:

So, while the GW Tech Support in one network connectivity issue pointedly ignored all of the information I provided to them and sent me an e-mail full of "staller questions" the next support issue with a network connectivity issue suggests that they may have experienced a network "hiccup." :rolleyes:

I know that networks aren't perfect and I'm not saying that they are. Just endeavoring to open some people's eyes who endeavor to help others so that they might be better equiped for root cause analysis troubleshooting. :D

-Dar

The betas were just that "Beta", and are not a good way to judge the err=7 problem. There were frequent updates which were the cause of many of the err=7 issues. (i.e. server running a different version then the clients, people not restarting cause they didn't "see"" the restart message.) Also the expired login is not an err=7 issue either,its a lost packet issue usually due to internet trafic. GW support gave you a generic response, a network "hiccup" on thier end would effect all users on that particular node. As there were not mass complaints for the extended period of time you were unable to conect a "hiccup" is unlikely. You say you are endevoring to open eyes. However you came here asking for help and recieved it, from people who do this on a daily basis. Just because you don't agree or refuse to believe thier opinions does not mean they need thier "eyes opened".

Dar Greymere
19-06-2005, 07:03
Just because you don't agree or refuse to believe thier opinions does not mean they need thier "eyes opened".

:happy34: People who do this on a daily basis, like myself. Thank you. I get paid quite a lot of money to run a QA software department. IMO, if you believe that I'm simply disagreeing with you and me pointing out that one needs to account for all variables is a refusal to believe an opinion, then I'm glad you're not on my staff, and I hope to never see your resume come across my desk (not a flame, a simple fact). Root cause analysis troubleshooting is about viewing all of the possible variables to an issue and removing them one by one until the source of the problem has been discovered, disagreement and different opinions make for a great QA team while a team who doesn't know what "Creative destruction" is will fail in the QA process. And, if you've never taken a product from design to gold and beyond then you'd not realize that issues that appear in beta versions can, and do, sometimes appear in later versions. :rolleyes:

-Dar

PS. I'm done with this conversation with you.

Paladin of DK
19-06-2005, 10:23
:happy34: People who do this on a daily basis, like myself. Thank you. I get paid quite a lot of money to run a QA software department. IMO, if you believe that I'm simply disagreeing with you and me pointing out that one needs to account for all variables is a refusal to believe an opinion, then I'm glad you're not on my staff, and I hope to never see your resume come across my desk (not a flame, a simple fact). Root cause analysis troubleshooting is about viewing all of the possible variables to an issue and removing them one by one until the source of the problem has been discovered, disagreement and different opinions make for a great QA team while a team who doesn't know what "Creative destruction" is will fail in the QA process. And, if you've never taken a product from design to gold and beyond then you'd not realize that issues that appear in beta versions can, and do, sometimes appear in later versions. :rolleyes:

-Dar

PS. I'm done with this conversation with you.

*EDIT*-For content-
Btw your post was a flame.

Further more you say I did not account for all variables.

A.) I asked you for more information (you responded with a smart alek comment about your connection speed, which btw, holds no bearing on a latency problem).

B.) Your problem cleared up mysteriously and you try to blame it on a completly unrelated peoblem which was due to packet loss. (And in that post bashed those who tried to help you)

C.) I gave you a LIST of possible causes.

Next I explained the issue of the beta. I never said "problems from betas don't crop up in final" Perhaps youshould re-read my post.

Design to Gold is great, but don't bash The folks who upgrade/repair/maintain copmuters and all thier parts. If design to gold worked right (and perfect) these people wouldn't be needed. You really wanna talk big bucks and knowledge I suggest you talk to a Network System Admin, or a Fully Certified Hardware/Software IT professional.

Xemil
21-06-2005, 03:06
Did I miss something? I hate to sound like an idiot... but perhaps I am. What's this about "BETA" ? Just a question... But this is talking about the actual released game now and not the BETA of it right?

Also, the network login expired or whatever, seems to happen to everyone (maybe they fixed it since I ascended and got the message) at the point where you complete the mission after you've ascended. With all the dragons and you have to kill Glint, that dragon, as the bonus. But unlike the err-7 message's, it still takes it as you've finished the mission. Whereas when I get the err-7 message I have to redo the mission from start if at the end, I get the message.

And since when did this topic become an arguement over people's troubleshooting abilities? Way to be selfish and ruin a post.

Dar Greymere
21-06-2005, 03:38
Did I miss something? I hate to sound like an idiot... but perhaps I am. What's this about "BETA" ? Just a question... But this is talking about the actual released game now and not the BETA of it right?

In my research regarding the err 7 issue I noticed this was an issue up to the last beta (right before release), hence, I pointed out that another variable to consider was that the issue was at the server side as issues to appear from betas in release versions.

Also, the network login expired or whatever, seems to happen to everyone (maybe they fixed it since I ascended and got the message) at the point where you complete the mission after you've ascended. With all the dragons and you have to kill Glint, that dragon, as the bonus. But unlike the err-7 message's, it still takes it as you've finished the mission. Whereas when I get the err-7 message I have to redo the mission from start if at the end, I get the message.

Alas, I had played since release and never received this "network login expired" message, neither had any of my guildmates, so I researched this issue and found evidence to suggest that people who were receiving this message were also getting err 7's frequently, another variable to take into consideration.

And since when did this topic become an arguement over people's troubleshooting abilities? Way to be selfish and ruin a post.
Perhaps when I suggested that all variables be taken into consideration instead of jumping to conclusions in the troubleshooting process while at the same time thanking those who had replied for their assistance? To the best of my knowledge I didn't suggest that anyone's troubleshooting abilities were in question, merely, that all variables in root cause analysis troubleshooting should be accounted for and then removed one by one until the problem is solved.

*shrug.

There are several err 7 topics to search through for information that may be useful to you or anyone else experiencing this issue. I hope that you find the cause of the issue for you and have it resolved for a pleasant gaming experience! :)

-Dar

Xemil
21-06-2005, 16:38
Well, regarding the network login expired message, as I said, I got that once, as did my entire party, after we finished the mission with Glint the dragon in it, which is the first co-op mission after ascending. However, although myself, and the entire party got this message, to which when I logged back I freaked at them they calmly said to me they freaked the first time through that part too.

Yet when I had previously asked them about the err-7 message they said they've never gotten it. Or at least, nothing frequent. They said maybe once a day, or once every two days.

The latest thing GWsupport told me, was that the err-7 message is supposed to be firewall related, and asked me to uninstall it and try playing the game. To which I did and still got that error message. To which they said I should try the Europeon and Korea/Asia districts if they show up in my territory change list. With a careful note afterwards reminding me that after a total of 5 changes, I'm stuck in whatever one I last changed to.

I seriously hope they don't mean that. I mean, sure, it's enough for me to test this theory that it's only an American territory related problem. But if I don't give it enough time... Then... I'm pretty much stuffed huh. I might end up in the Asian territory =/ I don't have anything against other races, but, depending on how many of them know english, I might be pretty lonely.

And Dar, all I meant was, I hope that long post's with no technical help/suggestions/or people providing information, didn't become frequent.

kawana
21-06-2005, 21:34
im.... having.....a....bad...day.. im trying to finish that undead Hordes quest, but every time i get to 3/4 the way through the last mob i get that Err=7 thing, ive had it at least 10 times in the last 30min. anyone know what i can do about this????

Twitchldugf
21-06-2005, 21:38
I have a friend that is in the exact same boat, he crashes so frequently in GW that he has been unable to complete a single story mission because he can't make it to the end of one without crashing.

He's updated all his hardware drivers and directx but beyond that there's no much he can do. GW support has been useless.

T

Bubba Bubberson
21-06-2005, 21:38
Everytime I have had this problem it was because of issues with my ISP. I use SBC DSL. When it happens, I usually retire for the evening. . . . usually very upset. *shakes fist at SBC*

I do not think anyone has tied the Er 7 to anything AN is doing.

TraceHardon
21-06-2005, 21:39
I can tell you that I have played the game for over 150 hours and had never, ever, had this happen.

I realize this doesn't help you, but it would seem to imply that the error is somehow system or configuration related.

That being said:

1) Try updated all your device drivers.

2) Try scanning your computer for Adware and Spyware. Adaware is not enough, you need to use something like Spybot Search and Destroy also.

3) Finally make sure you are not running anything in the background, like Anti-Virus software and such.

uroslenadfjg
21-06-2005, 21:44
This may sound strange but i get the err=7 message when i am playing, but it occurs randomly. Sometimes i must eject the cd in order to load a level. While the cd is sitting ejected while im playing, I do not get the err=7 message, only when the cd is in the drive.

CanadianBacon
21-06-2005, 21:49
GW doesn't use the CD...

Bulldog Spud
21-06-2005, 21:53
While I've never run into the err=7 problem, I used to get a lot of lag. Sometimes the pc just crashed alltogether. I ran all the MS updates, and still nothing. Every once in a while, especially after a crash, GW would launch with a "Recovering corrupted data file" (or something along those lines). I finally had enough and upgraded to XP SP2, and have not had a single incident since.
Moral of the story is: If it's not your network connection, it could very well be an issue with your pc (OS, or spyware issues).

Stormfierce
21-06-2005, 22:10
I've got that err=7 message maybe 2 times while playing GW, and i played it for about 50 hours. When the error popped out i restarted my pc and was all ok :happy34:

Clancy
22-06-2005, 00:02
This may be one reason you get the err message. I have a wireless router set up in my house. When I'm ingame and use my cordless phone near by, I get the disconnect err message. Hope this helps some.

Clancy

RushD
22-06-2005, 00:53
If u have Verizon Wireless Dsl u prolly will get this error=7 alot.I cannot reveal my source of finding this cause its against the rules........ :(

PS.Found this from a diffrent Fansite Fourm..

huxley maximus
22-06-2005, 00:57
I have a friend that is in the exact same boat, he crashes so frequently in GW that he has been unable to complete a single story mission because he can't make it to the end of one without crashing.

He's updated all his hardware drivers and directx but beyond that there's no much he can do. GW support has been useless.

T
The thing with graphics cards is that rolling back is far more effective than moving forward most of the time. Try a rev or two back of your gfx drivers non-beta of course.

keydet
22-06-2005, 01:03
Whenever I get it, my Xfire connection has been dropped and I can't check my e-mail. I'm 99% sure it's an ISP thing. I have a cable modem... always get some sort of disconnect when they do their Emergency Broadcast System tests. (Remind me again why I'm shelling out $50 a month... )

Sieglinde Leoncouer
22-06-2005, 01:09
Whenever I get it, my Xfire connection has been dropped and I can't check my e-mail. I'm 99% sure it's an ISP thing. I have a cable modem... always get some sort of disconnect when they do their Emergency Broadcast System tests. (Remind me again why I'm shelling out $50 a month... )

I have had similiar experiences. Whenever I get error 7, everything else I'm connected to gets booted, not just GW.

Lazarous the Nys
22-06-2005, 01:23
I have had similiar experiences. Whenever I get error 7, everything else I'm connected to gets booted, not just GW.
As do I. Though my entire network connection fails, so I believe the problem to be with the router.

Krystara
22-06-2005, 01:39
I can tell you that I have played the game for over 150 hours and had never, ever, had this happen.

I realize this doesn't help you, but it would seem to imply that the error is somehow system or configuration related.

That being said:

1) Try updated all your device drivers.

2) Try scanning your computer for Adware and Spyware. Adaware is not enough, you need to use something like Spybot Search and Destroy also.

3) Finally make sure you are not running anything in the background, like Anti-Virus software and such.

I find Error 7 to be connection based. I will get it once in a while, and it us usually preceded by lag (tho lag is not always followed by error 7). My service has been very flakey at times (they come measure the signel, but it goes wild at 3am). I doubt it is hardware based at all.

That said, spyware and running processes of various types are a very common problem for poor connections. running anti spyware programs is a good step. either grab the trial for spysweeper (webroot.com), microsoft anti-spyware beta (microsoft.com), or adaware (lavasoft.com) and spybot (not sure, I usually go to download.com for it).

You can usually look in your config file to see what is running and turn off things you dont need, especially online programs. go to start, choose run, and type msconfig. go to the startup tab and go over the items in that list at sysinfo.org.

You will generally see more network problems with a dial up connection or a wireless network.

Hope some of this helps :)

-Krystara

Ars Pendragon
22-06-2005, 11:41
I have been working with A-Net for a month trying to solve this problem. It takes me 15- 25 attempts to complete quests. I have updated all drivers, ran Tracert, Ping Plotter and even had my ISP out to check my cable, connection and system. Both A-Net and ISP blame each other, but only GuildWars site results in packet errors. I ran Ping Plotter on other web addresses including this one and only GuildWars give routine 60% scans. I sent A-Net graphs tonight of all scans, hope it resolves the problem for me.

Tikoko Delight
22-06-2005, 12:01
i've had a lot of error 7's lately.. i can't attribute a single one to connection loss, as i was able to yell my frustrations to people on teamspeak during them :P it took me maybe 10 tries to get through dragon's lair on an alt because of crashing with error 7.. and on the 10th try a guildy in the team crashed because of it! but i ended up finishing, and then had to go through it all over again with ice caves.. i think they screwed something up, but i have no proof like the guy above me.. /shrug

Sjaak
22-06-2005, 12:33
I have it too. :(

I think I just sent the 8th mail to the support. I've tried everything, no viruses or spyware or anything on my comp, happens random, only guildwars gets disconnected.
But yesterday I played for like 4 hours without virusscan and firewall on, and I didn't get a single error. That may be it, but this morning I played without em as well, and I got an error again, so I don't know.... It's just very annoying, can't do anything with it.

Svodas Zidane
27-06-2005, 07:31
That says you have a nice stable connection to your router, which most likely means your problems lie between you and your ISP. I don't know the type of connection you use to your ISP so I probably can't help much more. You could try to ping your ISPs DSN server the same way and see if you get drops. Of course, your ISP could block pings so it may not work at all.

You can find your DSN server's IP address with ipconfig /all.

Mine is similiar except that I get numerous "Request times out" responses. I've ran about 5 pingtests, and my average roundtrip time is pretty good (9ms) but I don't understand what exactly is making me lose connection so often (anywhere from 20-30%) of packets sent didn't make it through. Often, I don't get err=7, but my character's running will suddenly slow down and then come to a stop. It will take about 20-30 seconds before he can move again, and these spikes can happen extremely frequently (within 5 seconds of each other). I like this game A LOT and I'm really annoyed that this is happening. My computer itself it great, and I close all other internet programs before running the game. I know that the connection problems aren't the game, because on Internet Explorer and AIM I will have times when I can't see the page or profile. Very aggrivating, any ideas?

PLEASE HELP ME! THIS IS KILLING MY GAME EXPERIENCE!

ineedabox
28-06-2005, 08:19
Hey, should my CPU lag if i have 56k modem? i havent bought the game yet. i was just woundering for future refrence.

KyoUmerio
29-06-2005, 20:29
i too am having this problem, i preformed the ping test and my results weren't that great i dont think? or maybe they were really good? here's what they were.

Most came up as 1 or 2ms and then there were a few that were as high as 9ms and on 15ms so i'm unsure of what to do? is this all bad or good? if its bad how do i fix it?

elbertc
29-06-2005, 20:53

-Dar

The way I see it is that everything is saved in a relationtional database. (Think of Oracle.) If you step into Droknar's Forge, you've made a change to the database in memory as a transactional log. If that log isn't written to disk (called a 'commit' in database terms) before you get dropped off with an Err=7, it has to roll back to the last committed point to keep itself from corrupted data and out-of-sync data.

i too am having this problem, i preformed the ping test and my results weren't that great i dont think? or maybe they were really good? here's what they were.

Most came up as 1 or 2ms and then there were a few that were as high as 9ms and on 15ms so i'm unsure of what to do? is this all bad or good? if its bad how do i fix it?

What are you pinging? Pinging your own router will serve no purpose, if the dropped connection is beyond your LAN. Obviously, you're able to get online if you can post messages here. However, sometimes, just because you can get to one place, doesn't necessarily mean you can get somewhere else.

KyoUmerio
29-06-2005, 21:27
The way I see it is that everything is saved in a relationtional database. (Think of Oracle.) If you step into Droknar's Forge, you've made a change to the database in memory as a transactional log. If that log isn't written to disk (called a 'commit' in database terms) before you get dropped off with an Err=7, it has to roll back to the last committed point to keep itself from corrupted data and out-of-sync data.

What are you pinging? Pinging your own router will serve no purpose, if the dropped connection is beyond your LAN. Obviously, you're able to get online if you can post messages here. However, sometimes, just because you can get to one place, doesn't necessarily mean you can get somewhere else.

that one was me pinging my own router but i did my ISP too and it was <10ms for 98% of them and then a few were =1ms so i'm not sure what i should do.

but whats the weirdest part is while i'm in the game and before the Err=7 happens, everyone comes to a stand still but they still move as if they were standing still in the game, and their HP still moves, and i can move my character in circles and click with the mouse and sometimes it comes out of it but most of the time i end up back at the log in screen. i just unhooked my router and all my cables and now i'm going to run another Ping to see if that helps

elbertc
29-06-2005, 21:56
that one was me pinging my own router but i did my ISP too and it was <10ms for 98% of them and then a few were =1ms so i'm not sure what i should do.

but whats the weirdest part is while i'm in the game and before the Err=7 happens, everyone comes to a stand still but they still move as if they were standing still in the game, and their HP still moves, and i can move my character in circles and click with the mouse and sometimes it comes out of it but most of the time i end up back at the log in screen. i just unhooked my router and all my cables and now i'm going to run another Ping to see if that helps

Try pinging to 206.127.148.46 and see what kind of response you're getting. Also, use the 'tracert' command: tracert 206.127.148.46 and see if the data are getting clogged up somewhere.

This is the IP address the game is connecting to right this instance.

KyoUmerio
29-06-2005, 22:14
Try pinging to 206.127.148.46 and see what kind of response you're getting. Also, use the 'tracert' command: tracert 206.127.148.46 and see if the data are getting clogged up somewhere.

This is the IP address the game is connecting to right this instance.

no clogging, and it turned out fine, nothing timed out or anything like that

Merls The Sneaky
30-06-2005, 23:02
having dial up should not effect your CPU (unless its really old) I have successfully played GW on 28.8k (dont ask)

trial
01-07-2005, 10:30
i have a bandwidth monitor always on in the background and gw uses almost
nothing. running around in-town with all the other players pops it up to
about 1k a sec..

although the proper question would be, "will i lag with a 56k modem?"
the cpu is the "central processing unit" in your computer. think of it as
(an essential) a peripheral like your modem.

but back to the topic - no, you won't lag. XD

zsherwood
07-07-2005, 20:40
About 3 days ago I've been getting these very random err=7 disconnects that shut down my internet randomly in the afternoon. If I don't play GW...then my internet works fine. But I'll get an err=7 and then I'll go back to my desktop and nothing else internet related works until I restart my computer. I ran an error check, and found no errors. Then I did a Disk Defrag. and it couldn't defrag a gw.dat file in the Guild Wars folder, and a file from my Steam folder. In the middle of game, 10/20/50 minutes in to a quest I get them, the game will freeze for a bit...all the monsters stop fighting along with the people and they sit in an idle mode I can open menus and everything but can't physically move. Then it brings me to sign in screen with err=7.

These disconnects are hurting my game and others too, as the first one happend as a runner was running me to the forge for free. Another one was as we were trying to do the bonus to Divinity Coast, and the most recent one was when we were about 3/4 the way through Villany of Galrath. I mean I don't care that I wasn't able to complete the quest/mission, but I feel bad for the others on the group that depended on me and think I just left.

Feel free to give any suggestions...

SilentMoon
07-07-2005, 20:41
Sounds like a corrupted data file.

I'd suggest reinstalling the game, and maybe running a checkdisk inbetween to make sure nothing is damaged on the disk itself.

Viho
07-07-2005, 20:54
Have you recently updated anything? Your description reminds me of the time I tried updating MSN messenger. Not long after that, I experienced something similiar when using another program. When I uninstalled the newer version of messenger, the problem went away. I'm not saying it's specifically the culprit, but you may have something causing conflicts.

I do agree with Silentmoon about the corrupted data file. Reinstalling the game and running a checkdisk certainly won't hurt.

zsherwood
07-07-2005, 21:05
When you say reinstall do you mean a 'Repair Install' or do you mean uninstall the whole game and reinstall the whole game?

Viho
07-07-2005, 21:11
When you say reinstall do you mean a 'Repair Install' or do you mean uninstall the whole game and reinstall the whole game?

completely uninstall and reinstall the game, repair or modify may not remove or completely remove any potential corruption.

SilentMoon
07-07-2005, 21:11
Uninstall the game, reboot, run a checkdisk on your hard drive, and then reinstall the game.

zsherwood
07-07-2005, 23:03
Alright, so I uninstalled...ran the check...no errors or nothing was found...I ran a virus check...then I reinstalled. Then after I reinstalled I ran another check and a defrag. and the defrag still couldn't defrag the gw.dat file like before. I haven't had time to play for awhile to see if its still acting up or not.

Merls The Sneaky
07-07-2005, 23:41
Err = 7 is a general connection issue. You mentioned you have steam running in the background. Try turning off background services that could interfere with your connection.

What type of connection do you have?

You also mention that you are unable to access anything net related until you reboot. Maybe your ISP is blocking your net access for some reason.

Might I suggest you run The Cleaner (http://www.moosoft.com/index.php) to make sure you aren't running a trojan or bot on your system.

Check for spywear use Adaware SE (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/) and Spybot Search and Destroy (http://www.safer-networking.org) .

zsherwood
08-07-2005, 02:24
I don't have Steam running, the defrag. just can't defrag some file in the Steam directory too. I read in a post from a err=7 search, to do a error-check and defrag.

I have cable internet access, and I have also recently ran spyware checks using Ad-Aware and Spybot and came up with no infections.

I'm going to run that Cleaner program you just suggested, right now.

Merls The Sneaky
08-07-2005, 03:22
try reinstalling GW sometimes software firewalls flag an updated GW Exe as a possible threat and block the process.

mrtom
09-07-2005, 19:41
check out a similar thread in the bugs section. Some guys suggested switching to European server, which did the trick for me ( at leat 90% of the time now.)

When I was on the US server I would have massive Err=7 errors often not able to play at all

cheers

Merls The Sneaky
09-07-2005, 21:22
Yeah Gw has an annoyingly small lag out time. Making distance a factor with lag problems.

zenzulu
12-07-2005, 16:29
I've been having err=7 problems since I got the game. Pretty much like clockwork, I'll be able to play for about 10 minutes, then lag, then disconnect.

I don't really notice any disconnects while just surfing the web. I ran all the tests at dslreports.com, they say I'm good to go. However, I'm also playing world of warcraft, and I see an almost identical problem: 5-10 minutes of low latency followed by quick escalation to high lag and then disconnect (and usually death :/)

Turns out my problem is definitely my Belkin router (wireless 11b, although I connect wired from the comp in question.) I bypassed the router and no more 5 minute disconnections. Both games stayed connected indefinitely.

Any suggestions on what this thing can be doing? I'd like to stay behind the router for security (or would software firewalls with open ports/app permissions do just as well while I'm playing?)

I set the router's App Gateway ports to allow the tcp/udp ports that these apps need. I downloaded drTCP and lowered my MTU (the router did not allow this to be changed) to allow Windows updates... I don't see why lowering this slightly would do anything. I made sure my ISP is not cycling IPs (and anyway, it works when pc is direct to the ISP).

Any suggestions? Thanks.

elbertc
12-07-2005, 18:28
Check to make sure that port 6112 isn't blocked. If you're using the Belkin F5D8230 and don't know how to unblock a port, look here (http://web.belkin.com/support/download/files/P74304-A-F5D8230-4_man.pdf) on page ~59.

Edit: Eh.. I just reread the last paragraph and you do know how to unblock ports. Just make sure that 6112 is one of them.

zenzulu
12-07-2005, 18:42
Check to make sure that port 6112 isn't blocked. If you're using the Belkin F5D8230 and don't know how to unblock a port, look here (http://web.belkin.com/support/download/files/P74304-A-F5D8230-4_man.pdf) on page ~59
Thanks for the reply!

I'll double-check once I'm home. The router has an "Application Gateway" page that seemed to be where you open ports. I set 6112 open for both tcp/udp, or at least I think I did.

If in fact that was blocked, would that cause the after-five-minutes disconnect or would I not be able to connect at all?

edit: I was looking through that manual that you linked, and even though it's for a different router, one setting got me thinking: the "virtual server" page. I did not open the ports there, instead I used the "Application Gateway" screen . The Virtual Server seemed to me to be for things like if I was running a web or ftp server and I wanted the Internet to see it, but now I'm wondering if that is where I should open 6112 (and the WOW port). I'll play around more tonight.

edit edit: The page you mentioned was a third router setting from the two I suspected: client IP restriction. I believe by default there were none set up for me, and I didn't add any.

trial
13-07-2005, 03:56
has there been any change in your house?
furniture, moving around or anything?

it sounds like that your wireless signal might be dropping or losing quality
because of something. cell phones, 2.4ghz phones (even from your
neighbour) can all interfere with a wireless signal.

in my house, almost anything can interfere with my wireless. although it
doesn't happen much, something that never did would for one day.
for example, for one day (and only one day so far) whenever someone used
the microwave, my signal dropped right off until the microwave was done..
it was odd, since it never did interfere with it before..

elbertc
13-07-2005, 07:05
I was just assuming that it would be that particular router because it was the first 11b router I scanned within 5 minutes of perusing the website. Anyway, the links to particular "web" pages in your router should be sufficient since it deals with the same type of technology within the router itself.

You did not mention whether this had fixed the problem or not.

I didn't assume that he was connected via wireless, trial, because he didn't state directly that he was. Maybe that was my mistake in trying to determine his root cause of the disconnection issue.

zenzulu, if you are, indeed, connected wirelessly, and are just starting to notice problems with latency, look at what has changed recently. A simple move of an electronic device within the same room can cause you to lose signal. Any game where you need continuous network access will definitely notice performance loss, unlike web browsing, which only accesses the Internet when you navigate to another page.

trial
13-07-2005, 07:36
oh, wait. he isn't connected on the wireless. X|
i just reread the op and saw something i missed the first time, that the
computer he's on is connected via wire to the router.

my mistake.

zenzulu::
have you tried rebooting the router? sounds simple, but sometimes it's the
easy things that are overlooked. my router, a di-629, doesn't give me much
probs but when it does, sometimes a reboot fixes it easy.

i can reboot it from it's own setup pages, or you can unplug the power for
5-10 seconds then plug it back in.

zenzulu
13-07-2005, 16:38
Hey guys,

Thanks for the troubleshooting, I really appreciate it.

My original post was kind of rambling, sorry for the confusion. I am not using wireless on the pc in question, it is ethernet to the router.

The problem still persists. I fired up Windows firewall, added the ports as exceptions in there, and bypassed the router. I was able to play indefinitely again. Not the best long-term solution though, since eventually my wife will want to get on the internet using her computer while I'm playing...her computer does use the wireless network. I could try the DMZ I guess and see if that works.

I have rebooted the router, several times. I thought I might have the answer last night: I added the ports to the Virtual Server portion (they were already in the Application Gateway settings). From searching the web, the VS settings seem to be more for hosting services/sites/games, but I turned it on anyway. No dice.

I will try to borrow a friend's extra router and see if that also has a problem. Someone suggested to check the modem speed vs the router speed to make sure they are matched (10 vs 100). Unfortunately I did not see that as an option in the router.

Of course, our sysadmin at work simply said to ditch the Belkin ("they suck") and get a linksys :mad: The wife will be simply thrilled. :D

Mortshd
13-07-2005, 16:53
I second to the sysadmin to throw away the Belkin since it's not worth the time to debug the problem.

elbertc
13-07-2005, 17:32
Err.. I don't recommend Linksys. Get a D-Link router.

Here's another thing you can try on your Belkin router, though. Move the Cat5 cable from whatever port it's connected to on the router to another port on the same router. (i.e. move from port 1 to port 2 or 3 or 4.) Maybe it's a bad port.

GenRabbit
13-07-2005, 21:20
The cable, is it stretched out or lying in a corner all rolled up?
Secondly, Now router should have to be setup for inbound on port 6112, My Linux firewall blocks any incoming on 6112, and my game runs fine. What you hav to make certain is that the router does not block outgoing on 6112. (something it should not do anyway by default)

I agree, I have one Linksys router. its collecting dust. Its crap. The D-link lets you lock an fixed IP to the Mac address of the network card. Very useful. (The linksys was replaced with the linuxbox)

Do you run alot of software that really kicks the NAT of the router, like bittorent, Dc++, emule, in general any p2p software. They can screw up you router pretty fast, if its locked to say like 4096 NAT's at max. then you will have to reset it.

Also check if your router has latest firmware

VVild
18-07-2005, 03:32
So far, in three days, I have been kicked at least 10 times due to an "error 7". One of these times the entire population of players in Hells Precipitace were kicked, including those in the middle of a mission. What in the world is this and when will it stop?

rpgamer
18-07-2005, 05:16
Hmm... my sister says that in her game (MUOnline) whenever a hacker tries to hack the servers, everyone on the server gets d/ced. Maybe thats the problem? I dont know. I havent been on in the past 3 days (vacation), so I dont know if this is true.

doctorgrim
23-07-2005, 05:38
Just a note to those that are having this issue. There's another router that this game doesn't like. I have a Netgear WGT634U Firmware 1.4.1.9 (latest supported version, there's an unsupported beta release I won't touch).

Yes, I have TCP/UDP Port 6112 forwarded to my internal IP.

Yes, port triggering is disabled.

The game just doesn't want to work with this router. I'm working with GW Support Team right now to find a resolution and I'll post again if there's a resolution.

Here's some pings to show good connectivity to the router and internet.

C:\Documents and Settings\Dan>ping -n 10 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 10, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 1ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Dan>ping -n 10 www.yahoo.com

Pinging www.yahoo.akadns.net [66.94.230.45] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.94.230.45: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=51
Reply from 66.94.230.45: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=51
Reply from 66.94.230.45: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=50
Reply from 66.94.230.45: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=51
Reply from 66.94.230.45: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=50
Reply from 66.94.230.45: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=51
Reply from 66.94.230.45: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=51
Reply from 66.94.230.45: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 66.94.230.45:
Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 10, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 39ms, Average = 23ms

doctorgrim

doctorgrim
23-07-2005, 07:03
Well sadly, GW Tech Support has taken the "the problem is with your router, go call Netgear" approach with me.

I've done some more troubleshooting and it seems that if I disable the firewall on the router "Disable SPI Firewall" option in the WAN Setup I can play without getting disconnected.

But I will not be the "without pay tester" they want me to be. And I will not get in the middle of a discussion between Netgear and Arena-Net about their compatability issue. That's not my job. My job is to play the game. So the discussion will die here and Arena-Net customers with routers will have to pay the price.

doctorgrim

GenRabbit
24-07-2005, 12:32
Try to remove the whole forward thingy.

I don't have this router, but my experience with routers is that the firewall only blocks incoming, not outgoing. And that the gameserver does not connects to your gameclient, but you but gameclient connect connect to gameserver.

Ive played with 2 computers simulationously in my setup & total block of port 6112 for incoming. Runs like a charm. If we look away from the lag latelly that seems to have hit everyone

spocker
26-07-2005, 07:18
I cant even go 15 minues without getting error 7! I looked through other threads about this and couldnt figure out how to fix this. I have a linksys wireless modem/router and have msn. Im seriously getting incredibly frustrated. I would be sooo appreciative to anyone who can help me to stop getting error 7 and let me just play a few hours uniturpted. thanks

Merls The Sneaky
26-07-2005, 07:35
Try bypassing your router, try turning off firewalls. If you still get the error its not your router or FW. Post here with your findings.

slimreb
27-07-2005, 16:38
Well in my case I got a ton a error=7 messages. I tried all sorts of things to get rid of this annoying error. I put my computer into the DMZ of my router and disabled all my firewall software and still got the error. I replaced my router and have not seen an error=7 since. Though every once in a while when in game I have to log back in because it is showing me offline to my friends and guild-mates.

Merls The Sneaky
27-07-2005, 16:44
Showing offline to friends and guildmates happens to everyone. What router were you using?

slimreb
27-07-2005, 17:05
I was using an old Linksys BFR Cable router. I have replaced it with a new Linksys BFX router with the SPI firewall and have not seen an error=7 since. That is even with two computers on GW at the same time. I have not done anything special to the router other than set it up for my cable provider and setup the DHCP server on it. Other than that I have done anything to it.

elbertc
27-07-2005, 17:19
Like I've mentioned in other threads, Linksys routers have a tendency to not rely on its settings, and drop connections whenever it wants to. Now, if Vonage and D-Link worked together, I'd consider getting one of their services.

spocker
28-07-2005, 08:06
Disableing my firewall didnt stop the error 7's. :( how do I bypass my router? Or is there anything else I can do to reduce the error 7's?
thanks a ton

calderstrake
28-07-2005, 08:40
Disableing my firewall didnt stop the error 7's. :( how do I bypass my router? Or is there anything else I can do to reduce the error 7's?
thanks a ton
Did you turn off any software firewall? ZoneAlarm, Norton and Windows?

kajocat
28-07-2005, 10:21
I can't remember where I read this and I searched the Guild Wars website to find the reference, but I think the 6112 port has to be open on your router. You should check the website of the router manufacturer and see if they've added any information regarding configuration for gameplay or any new firmware for your router. Be sure it's the correct firmware for your router or you will have frequent disconnects. I have a fairly new D-link router, but the latest firmware for that model number is for the A and B line, not C. I mistakenly loaded it, and had nothing but grief. Once I reset everything and opened the port, I've had no problem.

If that doesn't help, you might consider submitting a tech support request to ANet on their site. I've had pretty good response from them when I've had a problem.

To bypass the router, connect the line that leads from the modem to the router to your pc instead.

laugm
03-08-2005, 07:16
Well my error=7 popped out recently i've been playing it for 8 weeks now and i've been suffering from it since last week i play in the America region

I connect from malaysia( southeast asia) with 512/64 broadband

However this error only occurs in places with a lot of other players (i.e. some districts in tombs which are packed

Ulvix
05-08-2005, 22:11
eu ... crappy answers
had that error too,
its your internet connection :)
when my bandwith was too high, or there was a fax at home i received it
just stop downloading huge amounts of porn etc ... :D

also run spyware removers + DAILY virusscan
i swear, DAILY update chack + DAILY scan
else your computer will be, how do we say that,
a gaybar for viruses

Merls The Sneaky
06-08-2005, 05:38
eu ... crappy answers

There are no crappy answers, only more helpful ones.

Evangeliz
10-08-2005, 16:45
I'm not sure if I'm the only one but yesterday I experienced alot of Lag.
Well actually alot is an understatement. On 4 hours time I got 3 times an Err7
And lagged like always except when in cities.
From the moment I entered a mission or got out of city I lagged like hell.

For example on the Kryta quest when you're on the beach and have to follow the guy so he allows you to get to lions arch. On the part where you follow him I got stuck for almost 5min and offcourse by the time the lag stopped the guy was dead, so mission failed.

On druid overlook where you just have to talk with the 4 guys, it took me like 30 mins because I got pushed back everytime.

I didn't have this kind of trouble 2 weeks ago. I had a little bit of lag but nothing serious, now this is really alot of Lag.

I didn't change anything to my setup, nothing is running in the background.
No p2p programs, the pc is actually doing nothing when it lags.
Tested it on another network, same thing.
My mate has same pc (its a laptop) and plays guildwars also, and we played together on same network. I lagged and he didn't.

Is there something else I can test or try?

Thanks

DijiTao
11-08-2005, 18:59
Since you haven't made any changes to your setup, and you've ruled out the network as the root of the problem, I would start to figure that your problem is either a virus or spyware.

Open a command prompt and run 'netstat' - figure out why you have the connections open that you do – if you see something on port 25 your most likely sending out spam for herbal Viagra (congratulations). To get a really good idea of what’s going on I would connect your computer and a friend’s computer to a non-switching hub and then connect the hub to the network. Run Ethereal (see www.ethereal.com) on your friend’s computer and monitor all the packets your computer sends out. Shifting over these will give you a really good idea of what’s going on. Even if you don’t see anything, I would still scrub your computer down with an Anti-virus and Anti-Spyware scan to see if they find anything. If it turns out that you don’t have some hidden process running on your system that wrecking everything, then I’d just go about the normal process of updating your bios, drivers, and operating system to their latest versions and hope that fixes it.

Evangeliz
11-08-2005, 20:40
It's a fresh install so I can almost rule out virus and spyware except if Guildwars would download that :D

Anyway I'll scan it but pretty sure it's not that.

Note that today there was less lag.
Note 2 I'm in europe and there was alot of lag on tuesday which I heard of my mates that played that night
And it appears that the europe servers suffer from alot of lag in various degrees

Nimex Fireslayer
22-08-2005, 08:51
hey all...ive been having err=7 for today and yesterday...last week bin fine. i was playing GW yesterday..and i just got disconnected. ive tried disabling my firewall, opening the ports, sending in a question form thing to the GW team...but ive still got the problem. its very weird :confused: ...just been happening from yesterday..all last week its been fine. i dunno if its anything to do with me being in australia, or if its my computer. please help. :mad: :(

Merls The Sneaky
22-08-2005, 10:40
I connect through Australia havent had any problems. What ISP You through? Sometimes the ISP here have problems with international connections.

Also you can visit whirlpool (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/) forums for Aussie broadband info. Rest assured if others are having problems with the net, that you will also.

I can confirm that optusnet customers have been getting < Dial up speeds to international "links". Just tested my own (cable) and I am currently getting 3KB/s. Hope they get it sorted soon.

Nimex Fireslayer
23-08-2005, 11:40
my ISP is Netspace..i think

HeavÅngel
25-08-2005, 10:42
My DSL is fine. My computer is fine.

What's not fine is while in a mission our party gets error 7 to many times to count and a lot of lag which=party dead.

:scratch: Error 7 has been here way before the Beta and we still have it>?
It makes no sense at all to add any patches or a frog to let us know the up coming updates. :mad71:

Fix the bugs first!

Merls The Sneaky
26-08-2005, 04:15
System specs etc are more helpful. Posting things like "fix your game Anet" will earn you no favours on these forums. I play from Australia on American servers and can count on one hand the amount of times I have experienced "lag" and Err=7.

HeavÅngel
26-08-2005, 12:30
Nice move. Now my mail will stay clean

Edit: I'm not looking for any *favors*
What I'm looking for is to be able to play a game that my whole family has invested in without the error 7 which btw was happening durning alpha, beta and still is.

chain
26-08-2005, 12:48
4 different systems tested. All 4 with different specs that are WELL above the game requirements. All 4 systems have run the game up until two days ago with 0 problems. I have multiple internet connections at two locations ranging from cable, dsl, to an E1 (full 2mbit). I control the firewall access for all, and have all the necessary ports enabled. NOTHING has changed on my side in the last few days to have caused a change. I can recreate the err 7 on any computer I touch.

Once in game, I am faced with starting and stopping and rubberbanding. I can sometimes load a zone with no issues, then the next time the map changes I will be stuck at the loading screen for up to 5 minutes. By that time my team is already dead.

I am anxious to hear an official response from ANET on this issue because I am sure this is something affecting a significant part of the player base

Merls The Sneaky
26-08-2005, 13:27
No matter how many times I explain this people don't get it. So I will use a visual aid this time.

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/3140/lagpic8jf.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

The locations in blue are in fact fully connected and stable, but depending on where your information is coming and going to it will use different intermediate ISP (in black) In the diagram the ISP in black is experiencing problems due to packet loss, a faulty modem or simple overburdening. While your PC and Connection are fine there is a virtual bottlekneck at this location.

Anet use the same routing rules for thier data as the rest of the internet IE they dont get much choice the paths thier data is routed through. So while Anet keep thier end a perfect as possible "Lag" is usually caused by your ISP buying "cheap" data. So short of increasing performance of the entire internet there is not much Anet can do.

chain
26-08-2005, 14:00
In order to avoid the need for posting in multiple threads, I thought I would make a single thread that we all can share info concerning the problem.

The bottom line is there are about 20 various threads throughout the GW forums that refer to the recent rise in err 7 and lag issues. The themes are fairly consistent: rubberbanding, slow zone loading, frequent disconnects, and player freezes while in game.

PLEASE NOTE: This post is ONLY for those of you that have had a working copy of the game up until the last few days. This isn't for vid card issues or other various ongoing problems.

I have submitted two trouble tickets so far and have yet to receive a response. I can recreate the error on 4 different machines. Each machine has run the game flawlessly before and is well above the hardware requirements. I have two machines on an entirely different network in a different location. For both environments I control all routers, firewalls, and any security. All necessary changes and port openings have been taken care of.
Up to this point I have NEVER had one issue. Flawless performance since the day the game was released.

Please post here if you have similar issues, resolution ideas, or an official response from ANET

chain
26-08-2005, 14:10
Although I found the condescending visual aid rather amusing, I wanted to point out that the issue might not be as simple as your explanation. I also noted that in another post you claimed that the lag was due to the rise in player participation in PVPX.

I have done route analysis on two different backbones (one Tier 1 and one Tier 2 provider) and can tell you that, at least with this issue, there is no virtual bottleneck.

I am generally a fairly prudent guy when it comes to making final judgements during a troubleshooting process, and currently haven't come to any firm conclusions. I have ruled a few things out however.

I have ruled out any local ISP/Networking issues as well as hardware problems.
What is strange to me is that there are people in game that have absolutely no issues at this time. I have spoken to many and have their system specs and network info. They are of course on the same servers we use when we zone into tourney arenas and such and would logically experience the same amount of lag if pvpx was indeed the source. They have 0 problems though.

It's a tough issue to get to the bottom of...One of the other extremely strange things is that the connection can be fine for 5 minutes and then once you zone...you are stuck at the loading screen regardless of what zone you are in. THis isn't constant, but it does occur regularly.

I am trying to find info on how their server structure is designed because the only thing I can guess is that zones or cities may be on different servers and there could be more server to server traffic that is causing issues.
As I said, it's too early in my testing to have a firm conclusion on this one. All I know is that I'm getting pretty pissed about not being able to take advantage of the faction bonus

Miss Merryweather
26-08-2005, 15:10
i have also had no problems with lag until today

i tried "pathping -p 30 206.127.149.36" (got the IP from their support page) and noticed that i get 98%-100% loss at plaync :)

i just run and slow down to a stop for 5 mins, then i teleport to the other side of the area and back and slow down again :(

Tiarhys
26-08-2005, 17:16
For me it started yesterday. The game ran perfectly for over 2 months. Now i freeze in area loading screens, and my chars freeze in-game (sometimes for over 10 minutes). I formatted my computer today, i dont have a router, my Anti-virus installed and updated perfectly as well, and the problem still remains. I got a response from GW Support in around 30 minutes, but only to further inquire on my System. No further response yet.

I am hoping this will be fixed soon, cause its been over 24 hours since my last "decent" GW fix =(

flexiboy
26-08-2005, 17:41
exactly the same here. i think its to do with pvpx. i'm gona wait till the "event" ends and see if i can get on then.

scoot
26-08-2005, 17:42
whoops is just found this thread after making my own lol bout this lol nvm.
yea im lagged like mad aswell it takes me 10 mins 2 load up area and in pvp i joined and watched as i couldent leave spawn area and watched photos 3D photos of my tea, gettin obliterated ive asked GW bout this but no reply since. :confused: help :confused:

Psykewne
26-08-2005, 17:45
The problem of course is that alot of us having the issue would love to be enjoying pvpx and will miss out if they dont fix this. I had delusions of finishing up the rune unlocking (only 8 more sups to get) and get some good upgrades done too (it would be easy with such huge faction rewards) If i have to wait to be able to play properly till after the event I will be very annoyed because for all reasons i can tell there should not be this much lag to such a select portion of players because of the pvpx event. Tons of pvp goes on everyday anyway the increase is not as large as people are thinking it is.

A-net or part of the network between it and us is severely wrong causing this enormous lag.

awiggin
26-08-2005, 18:21
Chain, have run continous Traceroutes to see if you can detect the issue?
And if so would you post the results? I have never experienced this issue, I've gotten a few Error 7's, but that has always been an ISP/Internet issue.

Ender

bobtank
26-08-2005, 18:32
Tuesday Aug 23rd (and before): Perfect gameplay
Wednesday Aug 24th Evening: Err 7 and lag. Click to attack and nothing happens, etc. Was running around outside of Druid's Overlook with henchies.
Thursday Aug 25th Evening: All better again.

I checked my network, my ftp server, traced my isp, etc on the 24th. Even remoted into my work and back into my home to make sure all was working correctly.

Glad I'm not having this problem any longer...knock on wood! So to me, it was probably an issue on ANet's servers. I was lagging hard in town also.

-BobTank

Dienekes
26-08-2005, 19:36
3 of us in my guild have been running Pingplotter to both the LA server and the Frankfurt server. The packet loss that is occuring is happening at the LA Anet plaync servers and not at any of the DNS servers along the route. This is definately a problem that ANet can sort out, just as soon as they can work out whats going wrong.
The Frankfurt route is not suffering any packet loss or major increases in latency, but changing to the European server isnt an option i want to choose to fix the issue.

I just hope they realise how much this problem is affecting players this weekend and hold a second PvP Extreame weekend soon for all the people who missed out on this one.

Just to clarify on Merls Picture the problem is occuring between the ANet ISP node and the ANet node.

TBMarauder
26-08-2005, 21:39
I am one of the other people in Dienekes' guild, who are suffering from exactly the same problems, who are running dual instances of 'Ping Plotter' and still am TOTALLY missing-out on gaining any faction or playing the game in any capacity since yesterday evening, so you are not alone out there.

Lylanthwol
26-08-2005, 21:54
When Angel says her equipment and connection are fine, you can believe it. Since I've been in the IT industry for over 15 years and happen to be her husband I would know.

Chain and Dienekes have come to the same conclusions utilizing similar analyses as I have. And they are good ones. The increased latency is occurring in the circuits beyond ANet's ISP's border routers. The intermediate traffic for us happens to pass over 3 large scale carriers, none of which have experienced any significant rises in latency while I've been looking.

While cheap bandwidth can certainly be the root cause of connectivity issues in many cases, it is not the cause of all issues. Blanket rationalizations applied to sets of circumstances will never apply to all cases.

There are some problems out there, hopefully they listen to reports that are sent in and actively monitor the elements of the service in order to resolve these issues.

*Edit* hate when your avatar glitches.... sigh

robcarr
26-08-2005, 22:12
having dial up should not effect your CPU (unless its really old) I have successfully played GW on 28.8k (dont ask)

A friend of mine has just bought Guild Wars and he has 28.8k aswell, thanks for the post I think it might reassure him it will work fine on his dial up connection.

HeavÅngel
26-08-2005, 22:38
This is the Technical Forum.

Interesting now isn't it, when I am not the only person who is having a problem with error 7.

I'm just one of the customers who gave up on reporting the bugs and sending in the reports. Along with e-mails, that never get any replys back.

So while Anet keep thier end a perfect as possible "Lag" is usually caused by your ISP buying "cheap" data. So short of increasing performance of the entire internet there is not much Anet can do.

So, the theory of our *cheap* data is just that a theory.

When there's a problem and it's been said we appreciate your feedback and for letting us know of the problem. One would think it would be a true statement.

Our Guild is also PO'D That they're losing playing time to get the extra faction.

Bear just re-upload your avatar. If you still have it on your computer :love38:

TBMarauder
26-08-2005, 22:56
Favor of the Gods. Both prior to and since the retail release of Guild Wars, a certain number of us Europeans (UK-resident included) have switched to the American Territory, it being the more desired place to both assure more time with 'Favor of the Gods' and to be involved with an English-speaking community and guild.

Thus, quite a large number of the English-speaking people playing Guild Wars are playing it on American servers, 'routed' via Franfurt over to the USA.

Merls The Sneaky
27-08-2005, 02:08
While you may have found my little diagram condecending (my aplologies) it is sometimes important to not assume people you are helping as having an extensive knowledge of how the internet works. Simple? Yes. But I do find it strange that I from Australia experience pratically 0 lag playing on american servers, while everyone else seems to experience it on a regular basis.

Of course the logical explanation is that most cases of lag is due to a server between Anet and your ISP. Of course it seems there hs recently been an increase of the amount of peoples complaining about lag issues, so I am willing to concede that Anet (or thier service providers) are experiencing "issues".

As you know GW doesn't have seperate shards, but thier seperate servers mesh and inter-connect. My theory is lag issues can possibly come from one of thier servers alone is experiencing the problem, and disrupting connections across the board. Last time similar issues were bought up, Gaile asked that everyone submit thier information to support so that they may gather the information needed to resolve the issue.

Edit BTW Cheap data is a real thing. although its not the data that is cheap its the routing through cheap connections. Its a real issue, my isp has that exact same problem often my international links will go down due to the routing server being overcongested.(local links are fine though.) It has been this way since singtel bought out Optus. Its a real phenomena

calderstrake
27-08-2005, 02:52
This is the Technical Forum.

Interesting now isn't it, when I am not the only person who is having a problem with error 7.

I'm just one of the customers who gave up on reporting the bugs and sending in the reports. Along with e-mails, that never get any replys back.

So, the theory of our *cheap* data is just that a theory.

When there's a problem and it's been said we appreciate your feedback and for letting us know of the problem. One would think it would be a true statement.

Our Guild is also PO'D That they're losing playing time to get the extra faction.

Bear just re-upload your avatar. If you still have it on your computer :love38:
This will be the last post that you make with that tone of voice. I extended you some courtesy because you are a mod on the diabloii.net site, but I will not tolerate it any further. You should be posting your comments in a more mature manner. I would have sent you this in a PM or email, but it seems you have exceeded your limit of PMs and have your email notify set to private.

Paul Atreides
27-08-2005, 17:53
Ok. Had to put my canadian $.02 in. Of course, it is not worth anything so... :(

I have played since the first day after beta and no problems. Yesterday afternoon I cannot get out of Bloodstone fen. I had the boomerang/rubber band thing happen which was cool because the team just kept going and completed the bonus. After about 10 minutes of that it froze and I got the dreaded err-7. Now it freezes in the same area of the mission every time I play. Tried other characters and they are freezing as well.

If it is the PvPX thing then I hope things get back to normal on Monday. :mad:

Thanks for letting me vent.

Paul.

seven tekk
27-08-2005, 19:28
3 of us in my guild have been running Pingplotter to both the LA server and the Frankfurt server. The packet loss that is occuring is happening at the LA Anet plaync servers and not at any of the DNS servers along the route. This is definately a problem that ANet can sort out, just as soon as they can work out whats going wrong.
The Frankfurt route is not suffering any packet loss or major increases in latency, but changing to the European server isnt an option i want to choose to fix the issue.

i have exactly the same issue and have found the same results with pingplotter.
all european players connecting to american servers in my guild are having exactly the same issues and respones, unfortunately chnging territory is not possible for some of us

Ragnarok-
28-08-2005, 05:03
It's happening to me :)

pbspectre
30-08-2005, 16:53
it's happening to me as well...8 days now without a lag-free game... :sad44: :mad72:

Paul Atreides
01-09-2005, 02:09
This is really getting annoying. I can't do a mission without an err=7. I have no problem from work but home is another story.

I started playing from day one and it only started doing this last Friday.

I might as well try contacting Arenanet. :mad:

Paul.

Glasier
01-09-2005, 04:30
This is quite frustrating actually. I just really would like to no why? Its really annoying when u r almost at then end of a mission and suddenly u can't move and error 7 pops up..

Anyway, I hope I can enjoy the game again.. Please..

:happy14:

BlueBudgerigar
01-09-2005, 04:35
since the PvP fest ended...knew it wasn't my system!

:winking47

calderstrake
01-09-2005, 09:03
since the PvP fest ended...knew it wasn't my system!

:winking47
I don't doubt for a second that the PvP-X weekend also had a hidden agenda to shake out some lag and network issues. I imagine that those of you who are experiencing lag issues and are using high-speed internet should see an improvement in the near future. Unfortunately for the dial-up users, you may never see an increase in performance, but you never know... Keep us posted.

slakt
01-09-2005, 14:48
It's so annoying. I get them alot, and I have to redo missions, quests and journeys all the time. The other day I did the Forgotten Wisdom quest (after dropping out of Thirsty River). We ran all the way trough the desert, and just when I got to the guy, I freezed. I swear, I was right next to him, at talk range. A minute or so later I got the err=7.
Later I ran from Beacon's Pearch to Ice Tooth Cave. I got a few powerful lags/freezes on the way, but I was lucky enough not to drop. But then, when I was about 10 seconds from the portal, I froze and eventually got the error.

I've noticed that it occurs the most frequently during my evening time (I'm in GMT+1 btw). Unfortunately that's pretty much the only time I'm able to play...

pusherxiii
03-09-2005, 19:27
I've finished casting my buffs, timer expires, doors open and a match starts for hoh. Suddenly I can only run 10ft at a time and then stop, im just suspended, cant tell whats going on until i get a 15 second replay of how bad we lost as the connection tries to reconnect or something. I then get dropped to the login screen with some # 7 error. This never happened at home(I'm on school connection now) and never happened before pvpx weekend.(I've played at school for about a week with no problems)

So is this the lag that people are always talking about? or is this my internet connection? Thanks.

TheSonofDarwin
03-09-2005, 19:35
Have you been able to play at school before? Most colleges and high schools (though colleges mostly) have limits on their connection that prevents students from playing online games/downloading alot because it hogs the bandwidth. It could be that - or, I've had that happen before during severe lag. I actually spent 30 minutes once after fighting to copperhammer stand about 4 inches from the portal and it would not let me move, and everytime I moved it'd move me back to where I was stuck. Then I got disconnected. You could have had a minor case of lag, but I'd check in to your schools connection.

Vampyrebass
03-09-2005, 19:59
The err=7 is from your connection, I have it too sometimes. The problem is at your home (in this case your school) I'm afraid.

pusherxiii
03-09-2005, 20:04
damn, i was hoping i wouldnt have to fork over 10ish bucks a month and get my own cable modem. thanks though.

The one you Fear
03-09-2005, 20:09
Actually it's not that much of a major problem... just happens sometimes, you got hit at a bad time, crap happens in life sometimes. You don't really have to get a new connection because of that now do you? ;)

Link removed: signatures and signature style pictures are reserved for PALs

pusherxiii
03-09-2005, 21:30
I'm noticing its only really happening in hoh and gvg, dont think its ever done it in arena and its only given me problems once in pve. It just kinda seems wierd that when it does happen it starts as soon as the timer is down and we walk out of doors in hoh.

Merls The Sneaky
04-09-2005, 16:47
If memory serves me correct HOH is one of the biggest users of bandwidth, all pvp matches are because thier are more players. Meaning more data to send. Maybe your just not getting enough bandwidth to support it at your location.

snabbernabber
06-09-2005, 01:16
i have the same damn problem. only it happens like twice every fight sequence (the freezing and catching up) the actual err 7 disconnection happens maybe once every couple of days. but the laggin is killer. i go on coop missions and ill be runnin at the head of the pack, then all of a sudden im at the back, then catch up, then i warp to waaay back, then try and catch up, then warp back again and everybody is gone. every once in a while ill have to run around the same damn mountain 7 or 8 times in a row!!!!! or freeze during a fight and then im dead when it catches up! whats weird is that i can watch everybody else keep movin in real time. im goin nuts! i have been engaged with the GW tech guys for like a month. they keep having me run these downloaded tests, send them the results, and try all this crazy shat. but it never works. i think you are right that its a bandwidth thing. i have cable internet but live in an apartment. think im screwed :(

snabbernabber
06-09-2005, 01:42
alls i can say is that ive been having this lag/err 7 issue in a major way-its ruining game play for me. im pissed. and im still just running around (trying anyway) doing missions. i dont even hardly ever enter an arena and i dont have a PvP char. so its not just PvP. its been happening non stop since i started playing maybe in early july. i run cable and even did a partition recovery from disks and bought a brand new norton antivirus just to make sure, not to mention all the silly little tests the GW tech guys have had me run. nothing works. i give up :(

wwccngt
07-09-2005, 12:15
Meh i cant even login and play even though ive got myself into a team. i know this is not a problem of my internet service as im using broadband 10mbps.I can play other online games perfectly well. I was still doing well in guildwars smoothly while suddenly i kept lagging and eventually i just got stuck there unable to move or do anything else. Im living in Singapore and some of us got the same problem too even though its from a different service provider. So i guess it more of a problem from Guildwars. What should i do?

Lord Fraginator
10-09-2005, 00:18
I have had the neterr=7 bug twice in the same place in Sorrow's Furnace.

Final Assault mission, after taking down the 3 Rage Boiler's in the Forge Heart, a short vidio appear's, after which, 3 pure fire looking dudes spawn, and within 2 - 7 seconds i get the neterr=7 bug.

This has not only happened to me, but a few other members of the community on the European servers.

win xp
2600+ AMD
GF 5950xt

I can't believe i get so far and this happen's... twice lol.

calderstrake
10-09-2005, 03:06
It might be helpful to open a thread with Guild Wars Support Forum (http://support.guildwars.com). I am sure some devs read this forum, but posting in their forum forces them to reply to your problem. :happy14: :happy14:

fugepopers
20-09-2005, 03:17
well im lost i dont know where to go

Merls The Sneaky
20-09-2005, 03:20
Try the search for err = 7 . If nonme of the solutions there solve your problem goto ask a question (It will ask you to register) and give them as much detail as you can as well as what steps you have already taken to resolve the issue.

Real Azul
21-09-2005, 04:55
Hi guys - thanks for the previous posts it was actually comforting to note that other players have had similar types of issues.

I tend to lag out quite regularly, usually when loading HoH but I believe part of that may be related to the Special Edition Soundtrack that I added recently.

The latest problem has been simply trying to connect to GW. I was in game monday night and noticed my headset was not plugged in so I exited game, shutdown the terminal, plugged in the headset and reconnected to my teamspeak server but was unable to enter guild wars (no system settings changed)...wasn't much fun listening to GvG rather than leading my guys in :(

One of my Guildies suggested that it was a timing issue and I should wait a while before trying to reconnect, which I did to no avail. When I still couldn't connect (and I had tried power cycling the modem, running virus/spyware checks) another Guildie suggested re-installing the client.

I removed the client from my system and haven't to date been able to re-install the client from the disk, it hangs at the downloading screen once connected to anet.

Anyone have any ideas?

For the record I'm Australian, with Adam Internet on their ADSL 2+ connection and have not seen anything on the Whirlpool Australian Broadband forums to indicate issues with the ISP & GW (my mates on same connection play just fine also) although anet are adamant that this is an ISP issue.

If anyone has any ideas it'd be much appreciated - if not thanks for reading :)

JasonLa
12-10-2005, 08:19
Wow this is a long thread. I have ran into a situation with my copy of GW after the most recent update sept 30th. 1st time it happened when I was out just killing stuff in the desert going from one place to the next. I was running along and my character just stopped in place along with all henchmen. Monsters were still moving and I could interact with character inventory friends list, guild list, and chat. However text typed didn't come up in the window. After say a minute of no change back to normal the game would boot to the login with err=7.

This also happened to me in town(s) a few times and the most annoying of all at the final boss in dragons lair just before you get to glint. So I had to do the mission all over again. Which really stunk cause its one of the long ones.

DarkZeal
12-10-2005, 08:47
I had 2 Err 7s in the last 2 days, never before that. Once as I was returning to Alkar to get the quest reward, everything stops = Err 7.

Then it was when I was in the middle of Defend North Kryta. I though, "oh crap, my connection's gone out again" I alt-tabbed out, opened up Google, everything loaded perfectly (teh connection symbol blinked and every thing ) alt-tab back in to the game , waited another 1 sec = Err 7.

This is getting seriously annoying...

Errol Greenleaf
17-10-2005, 13:18
I had 2 Err 7s in the last 2 days, never before that. Once as I was returning to Alkar to get the quest reward, everything stops = Err 7.

Then it was when I was in the middle of Defend North Kryta. I though, "oh crap, my connection's gone out again" I alt-tabbed out, opened up Google, everything loaded perfectly (teh connection symbol blinked and every thing ) alt-tab back in to the game , waited another 1 sec = Err 7.

This is getting seriously annoying...

If u have an ATI card and using the newest 5.10 catalystdrivers, try rolling them back to 5.9. It Worked for me :happy34:
Or If U use WLAN make sure u have a strong connection..

JasonLa
18-10-2005, 06:10
Update I seem to be in the clear. No more err=7 since I posted. Maybe there was an issue of overload on the servers the times it happened. Who knows, I just hope it doesn't happen any more.

deathhacker
20-10-2005, 12:51
Anyone having major lag tonite besides me cause i thought it was reformatted hd and its still there i freeze every 3 secs and my isp is fine i connect to the web fast and everything else checks out fine

calderstrake
20-10-2005, 13:16
It would be helpful if you could post where you live, your ISP name and what game world you connect to. :howdy:

deathhacker
20-10-2005, 13:38
It would be helpful if you could post where you live, your ISP name and what game world you connect to. :howdy:

i live in new jersey im on comcast cable and i play ameraica servers

Dzierzy Mierz
20-10-2005, 18:35
I've been having the same problems all day today. Internet is fine....game...well....

I run along for 5 seconds, then sloooooow down, and stop. The enemies stop, everything stops. Then, the enemies wake up, and I am still stuck in limbo. 2 seconds later, I wake up....however, I freeze again within a few seconds. Makes living....well....impossible :P

I am also having a problem with Teamspeak. My husband and I can hear each other, just fine. We can hear others....but noone can hear us!

Anyway, we are in Germany, using T-Online, and log onto the American Servers (seeing as we are American). However, a neighbor of ours who is also in Germany, using T-Online, and logging onto American Servers has no problems at all.

earlier today, I asked in War Camp, dis 1 if anyone else was having hella lag problems, and about 5 people said that they were. And of course, the rumors are running rampant....LOL

FistofGod
20-10-2005, 18:41
Anyone having major lag tonite besides me cause i thought it was reformatted hd and its still there i freeze every 3 secs and my isp is fine i connect to the web fast and everything else checks out fine

Well, it started for me about 1:45 am last night. I was soloing Uw and Korea had just stolen favor, all of the sudden I start getting insane lag. Since it wouldnt go away(I stayed in a corner for 15 minutes), I logged off for the night. I checked my isp and speed, everything was perfect.

Then again today when I logged in, everything seemed to be fine for 40 minutes, then out of the blue, crazy lag again.

Isp> Verizon Cable/premium tier
Kentucky/American servers

CYaN
20-10-2005, 21:41
I've been having the same problem. Every other game I have runs fine, but my connection to A-Net is crap. I have err7'd several times today...which is a first, and I have had this game since day one.

Everything freezes, moves again for about 2 seconds, then freezes again for a minute or so...then I err7. REALLY annoying.

Dzierzy Mierz
21-10-2005, 13:40
I'm a bit confused as to how my reply got merged into an Err 7 thread. The freezing does NOT involve an Error 7, or any other number. The game does not crash. It just slows to a standstill.

I am not complaining about the actions of a moderator, I just wanted to clarify that the probem with the slowdown does not end in error 7.

thanks

edited to add: or at least in my personal case there is no error 7. I see now that others get the dreaded err 7.

charrlover
24-10-2005, 21:05
Error 7 has nothing to do with your connection! I have perfect connection on other games! With GW i often get lagspikes followed by Err=7 Im guessing its Anet's way of saying hello! Hi Anet fix it NOW! thanks

Paul Atreides
28-10-2005, 17:48
Well, my err=7 problem was fixed a while back after an update. I was happy as a clam. Now, after the halloween update it is back again. 3 errors in about 1 hr. I hope this is just a bad connection day and not something Anet has done.

Paul.

JasonLa
28-10-2005, 21:45
I run along for 5 seconds, then sloooooow down, and stop. The enemies stop, everything stops. Then, the enemies wake up, and I am still stuck in limbo. 2 seconds later, I wake up....however, I freeze again within a few seconds. Makes living....well....impossible :P

I am also having a problem with Teamspeak. My husband and I can hear each other, just fine. We can hear others....but noone can hear us!

Do you have any other network traffic going on besides the game while playing? Have you tried without teamspeak to see if the problems seen in game are still happening? If the problems stop then its teamspeak but if they are still there we know the cause is elsewhere. I'm just guessing atm. But a process of elimination will eventually bring you to the cause.

Ghengus Kahn
12-06-2006, 03:18
its A-Net if every1 is having the same problem all around the world then it can only be 1 thing A-Net is the problem we all connect to them i get the damn error everytime i log on.. 30 sec not even i log on and im d/c from server with code 7 running a mission i click the start button enter mission and lag out
its not us its damn A-Net fix the problem for christ sake every1 cant be having **** net problems with there ISP if they are trying to tel lme that over 1000 people are having ISP problems all around the world then thats just crap blame us not them whatever it only ever started happeing when factions was released the FPE was fine soon as it was actually playable all this crap started happening im getting really sick of it cant even play for longer then 2 mins without getting error im in australia and most friends in game are in UK europe USA all around the place and having same problems the only thing i can think of why this is happening is they are trying to nerf the game so u just cant play it at all they nerf drops farming areas bots ( which should be nerfed) if they dont want u to farm etc then just make it so noone can log on just have it so peple can look at ur character selection screen and thats it.. oh yeah and playing a few times just log in goto select a character and get code 7... im annoyed i really wanna play whenever i wanna play i cant all times of the day not just a certain time i get maybe out of 12 hours of wanting to play maybe an hour worth of actually walk around town and enter a mission all added up the time i actually can get on its about an hour thats not even sayingi can do anything but stand there and jesus thats annoying standing there just get loaded in and code 7 ive checked everything ISP FIREWALL MODEM COMPUTER formatted virus scan network analysis reinstall of the game when can actually stay logged on to d/l all the files again so its not us its A-Net

Ghengus

remmeh
12-06-2006, 03:39
errawr 7. many many times. and each and every time Vent, AIM stays connected in the background. dunno how many times i've had to say over vent "sorry... err7"

sixshot
12-06-2006, 10:21
*sigh* This is unbearable. I hop on, lagged at some point, unlagged, lagged, err7'd out. I log back in. Not even FIVE FRIGGIN' MINUTES, I err7 again!

Ya know... the problem is getting so out of control that I might as well go on haitus for a while. I thought the problem would have gone away just recently as I was able to sit idle... that's right... IDLE... for more than 3 hours. THREE HOURS. Before, I could've done that at ANY time. Now, getting TO three hours means some godly miracle happening!

Screw trying to play the game. The recent err7 spike is getting out of control and I'm sick of it.

Zebramum
12-06-2006, 10:48
Same here, have been trying over and over for the last 24 hours, can't dare to join another group for a mission.
Not my internet because I can play any other online game fine.
Guess enough boxes of Factions and GW have now been sold and they want to get rid of us, no more money coming in........

remmeh
13-06-2006, 00:21
let's see the huge drop in sales when CH3 comes out. lawl.
go knock down Alternet's door.

Malfrost
13-06-2006, 01:01
I've been having the same problem. Every other game I have runs fine, but my connection to A-Net is crap. I have err7'd several times today...which is a first, and I have had this game since day one.

Everything freezes, moves again for about 2 seconds, then freezes again for a minute or so...then I err7. REALLY annoying.

Same exact problem I'm having....had it happen twice in under 40 seconds

JasonLa
13-06-2006, 09:46
I personally know that err=7 can be caused by a number of things. I had a problem with it and after working with anet tech support and my ISP tech support we found out it was a problem with the wiring of the connection right outside the apartment building I was in. A faulty connection between the main line and the interior was causing intermitant packet loss that was causeing GW to err=7. When they fixed the connection at that point the connection was flawless.

If anyone having err=7 problems especially consistent ever few minutes or other regular interval. I'd suggest contacting anet tech support. You may need to run a utility from them to gather testing info of the connection. And then it may turn out that you will need to work with ISP tech support too. There is probably a 90% chance that to get proper tech support from the ISP you will need to work with someone from level 3. Make sure that both parties have all the info from each other that you have. Troubleshooting network connections can be hard to do and sometimes can take many replies back and forth by email or several hours maybe even over days via the phone. It all depends on how obvious the cause is. You may be directed to do things that are steps of a process of elimination to narrow down the variables and possible sources of the cause as well.

Samurai Jer
18-07-2006, 20:44
I was out mapping, about half done and boom. What happened was this, I was immediately (no lag or wait) returned to the login screen (much like err7's) but I did not receive ANY error messages.

Suffice to say I'm uber p'd off. If Anet can't get a handle on disconnects after 2 FULL CHAPTERS, how bad is it gonna get when GW:N comes out?.

Now, I don't experience many disconnects (perhaps 1 or 2 a week) but it's still seriously annoying and makes me not want to play the game. You do alot of work for nothing. Now I gotta go back and redo what I've already done. WTF!!!!.

I love those guys over at ANET but this is probably the ONLY thing about GW that makes me want to quit.

Nikikatsu
18-07-2006, 22:31
Im also suffering the dreaded 007 albeit with a slight twist. I get error007 everynight between the times of 9.45pm and 10.07pm GMT. I can play the entire day with no problems and good connection. I use Zonealarms firewall and cannot find any scheduled activity on my computer around that time. Any help/advice would be most appreciated. I havent contacted support about this yet as Im guessing it could be my computer.

Durron
19-07-2006, 02:01
I was out mapping, about half done and boom. What happened was this, I was immediately (no lag or wait) returned to the login screen (much like err7's) but I did not receive ANY error messages.

Suffice to say I'm uber p'd off. If Anet can't get a handle on disconnects after 2 FULL CHAPTERS, how bad is it gonna get when GW:N comes out?.

Now, I don't experience many disconnects (perhaps 1 or 2 a week) but it's still seriously annoying and makes me not want to play the game. You do alot of work for nothing. Now I gotta go back and redo what I've already done. WTF!!!!.

I love those guys over at ANET but this is probably the ONLY thing about GW that makes me want to quit.

Surprisingly, I had what I believe to be my first ever err 7 today at that exact time. It must be on their end of things...

newusernew
19-07-2006, 18:23
Well, the err7 problem is really getting on my nerves. Esp when u are pvp-ing and you get noobed out by lag :angry: , which happens very very frequently. Or doing an aggravating mission or fighting to the next area (GW:Factions is full of this meaningless crap). They better not screw up -again- in the third chapter, or GG.

JasonLa
21-07-2006, 09:47
Im also suffering the dreaded 007 albeit with a slight twist. I get error007 everynight between the times of 9.45pm and 10.07pm GMT. I can play the entire day with no problems and good connection. I use Zonealarms firewall and cannot find any scheduled activity on my computer around that time. Any help/advice would be most appreciated. I havent contacted support about this yet as Im guessing it could be my computer.

Does your ISP do somesort of refreshing or something that disrupts the service for a very short time? With my ISP at around 3 am every couple weeks maybe 3 weeks the cable modem cycles and disrupts the service to recieve new data or something which basically makes the conection not there for about 1 minute then all it normal again for the new couple weeks or 3.

Nikikatsu
21-07-2006, 19:09
Im presently with BT but i find their customer service somewhat lacking. Its odd that the drop occurs between those specific times everynight, although last night it didnt happen (although that is rare) Is anyone in the UK, with BT, experiencing an err007 mostly everynight between say 9.45 and 10.15? If so I'm gonna press BT harder for an answer.

Kahlan
22-07-2006, 16:15
Ok, well, I have recently gotten this problem again.

When I first started playing, everything was fine. Then sometime down the road I started getting error 7'd a bunch. I kept looking on the site for the solution to this problem, then Anet finally put it up...reinstall video drivers. GREAT! I did that, and it worked wonderfully!

Well, all of a sudden, yesterday both my husband and I started getting error 7'd all over the place. I know it had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with my internet connection because I was still on Yahoo, and my modem box was still blinking green like it's suppose to. Now, I normally keep my browser window open because if I'm sitting around waiting for someone, I go delete my junk mail from e-mails and come check up on the forums here. So, two things that have never bothered my playing ability were now causing me AND my husband to error 7. I closed out my browser window and voila! no more error 7. But a couple mins after I close out of GW and go to browse (my husband still being in game), he gets an error 7.

So, my question is...wtf is going on? I would hate to have to stop being able to browse while my husband is playing.

Tabernakel
23-07-2006, 17:30
Hi,

i'm from Germany, having 007 as well ;). There are some interesting facts to tell about 007:

First of all we changed our provider recently --> Frequency of E007 didn't change.

We also changed our router ( not only router but the complete hardware )--> Frequency of E007 didn't change.

I have a lot more 007 then my flatmate, using the same router and connection ---> Whats that?

Plugging in directly, avoiding the router, doesnt help at all.

I disabled all services and any other programmes which my pc doesnt really need to run ---> still having 007

HELLO?? How can Arena net tell me, that this problem is due to me?? I can play any other game and everything is fine.

JasonLa
23-07-2006, 21:03
Hi,

i'm from Germany, having 007 as well ;). There are some interesting facts to tell about 007:

First of all we changed our provider recently --> Frequency of E007 didn't change.

We also changed our router ( not only router but the complete hardware )--> Frequency of E007 didn't change.

I have a lot more 007 then my flatmate, using the same router and connection ---> Whats that?

Plugging in directly, avoiding the router, doesnt help at all.

I disabled all services and any other programmes which my pc doesnt really need to run ---> still having 007

HELLO?? How can Arena net tell me, that this problem is due to me?? I can play any other game and everything is fine.

Did you try a brand new cable too? What length is the network cable or is it a wireless? If its wireless, how far away from the pc is the router of hte one pc compared to the one that gets it less? and what other electonic devices are used such as microwaves, cordless phones, cell phones or other devices that use radio frequencies or cause interference with radio frequencies?

GWPlaya
29-07-2006, 15:37
I have had GW for about a month or so now. I have already had a lot of Err7 problems. From what I can gather, mine are related to my "Comcastic" ISP. So far I have had 2 seperate issues.

The first issue is, totally dropping the internet. I ping the DNS server constantly and write the results to file. There does definitly seem to be some connectivity problems at random. However these have just started recently - lots of stormy weather here and I think some widget nearby has gotten corroded or something. I don't like it but Comcast is going to check it this week.

The second issue is different. For most of the last few weeks, my actual internet connection has been satisfactory. Reviewing my ping logs, I see that I rarely if ever drop two pings in a row. So, the connection was NOT down for more than a few seconds at a time. However, even though my connection is up, I still see problems playing Guild Wars. Basic loss of connectivity - Skill Bar flashes continously, can't chat, can't move. Some of the time the connection (to GW server) comes back after a few seconds. Some of the time it hangs for too long and I disconnect completely. The key is, I DO NOT lose the internet when this happens. The DNS server is still responding, I can alt-tab and browse with firefox, and most obviously, I can still talk and receive voice chat (teamspeak).

The most telling incidents with this second issue involve myself and three friends. I have comcast. Friend 1 has comcast, but lives 30 miles from me. Friend 2 has Verizon Fios, lives 30 miles from me the other way. Friend 3 lives 20 miles a third direction, uses Fiber provided by his community (really cool). Friend 2 hosts Teamspeak. All four us will be playing, and myself and friend 1 (both comcast) will lose our GW connection at the same time, but both of us will still be on Teamspeak with everyone else! The other players DO NOT lose the GW connection. We can hear them and ***** and complain to them, but our Comcast connections apparently cannot talk to GW servers/Arenanet. Then, it comes back on at the same time, too! Try telling me that is not Comcast! Comcastic indeed!

I want to reinforce this a second time - these are two totally different issues. I realize a lot of people don't notice the difference between the two, but I do. I am very recently having total connectivity problems between my modem and comcast - that is different - probably caused by recent storms. The second problem - the real GW specific problem - has been ongoing and has happened multiple times. Connections are up but GW to Comcast goes down for 5-60 seconds at a time.

So, has anyone else noticed anything like this? I want as much info as possible before contacting Arenanet or Comcast. I don't know what kind of program/diagnostic Comcast could be running that interferes with the GW traffic. It happens at random - sometimes 3 or 4 times an hour, sometimes not once for a 2 hour game. Sometimes for 5 seconds at a time, sometimes 30+ seconds, long enough to cause an Err7 box.

Thanks for any helpful ideas.

JasonLa
29-07-2006, 16:57
I tried comcast internet with a trial price of internet and cable. We got err=7 every 3 minutes although any other internet activity was fine including teamspeak only GW and other MMO games were effected by the problem. What they discovered was a wireing problem outside the house. The wire from the main line lead to the house and at the box that wire was attached to the wire inside was bad. Its possible that you may have a similar issue and its the wiring between inside your house and the main line outside the house. It could even be farther down and be some other comcast line that is causing the issue. I assume that they would be able to know imediately if it was a faulty piece of hardware. I have wow cable internet now and the moment something hardware goes wrong they are already out to fix it.

Like one time I was playing GW and lost the internet. This is the only time too by the way. I called them and they already had a crew out and said it would be fixed in under an hour.

Durron
30-07-2006, 00:44
My err 7s have picked up a in intensity. Before today... ive had one. ever. Today alone I had 3. Anyone else feelin this too?

Ant Man
30-07-2006, 01:57
Yes! I have Comcast too and have been having connection problems for a while (several months). Lately it is so bad I can't even play the game.

I have also been having problems with my Vonage (VoIP) service too -- the audio from me drops out for several seconds. Seems to me that the problems are related.

I remember once seeing something about using some tools like pingpathplotter or something like that to test your connectivity. Can't find it though.

GWPlaya
01-08-2006, 06:41
If you are having problems with VOIP or any programs other than GW, that is probably your entire internet losing connectivity. Definitely call about that.

The problems I don't understand are the GW only problems I see with Comcast. It happened again on Sunday. Three seperate times, I err7ed out of GW, along with my one buddy who has Comcast (both of us losing the Comcast/GW link at the same exact times). But both of us, along with the two other people playing, were still live on teamspeak with no issues there. I could browse to new internet sites (with cache cleared), and was still pinging the DNS just fine. And it was not the GW servers at fault, as the two non-comcast users were still slaying Charr while myself and the other Comcast user Err7ed out. The issue lasted about 30 seconds each time. After my major connectivity problems are sorted out, I need to call and talk with some high level techs about this. But no sense bothering now.

gnarly
01-08-2006, 12:47
Hi all,

Can I ask a really dumb question:embarassed:

What is comcast?? I have been troubled with multiple err 7 problems for the last week - spoke to my provider BT british telecom - they told me it was probably down to the fact that I had not had "Inter Leaving????" enabled on my line???

I am waiting for this to be "enabled" - just hope it sorts it out as I cant do any missions that may last for longer than 20 mins or so - really frustrating.

If anyone has some advice - please give simple:rolleyes: instuctions - please feel free to offer.

Thanks,

Gnarly

JasonLa
01-08-2006, 13:06
Hi all,

Can I ask a really dumb question:embarassed:

What is comcast?? I have been troubled with multiple err 7 problems for the last week - spoke to my provider BT british telecom - they told me it was probably down to the fact that I had not had "Inter Leaving????" enabled on my line???

I am waiting for this to be "enabled" - just hope it sorts it out as I cant do any missions that may last for longer than 20 mins or so - really frustrating.

If anyone has some advice - please give simple:rolleyes: instuctions - please feel free to offer.

Thanks,

Gnarly

Comcast is a cable broadband internet provider here in the US. I don't have a clue what inter leaving is I never even heard of that. It would seem that some providers have serious connectivity issues when in comes to MMOs. All other activity is mostly uneffected in my experience.

katya
01-08-2006, 21:07
Wikipedia has a quick and simple writeup on what Interleaving is. There's a graphic that shows you the general process. It does introduce latency, but the benefit is that your data is more protected against burst errors.

gnarly
02-08-2006, 23:07
Thanks Katya i'll take a look - fingers crossed:wink:

Gnarly