PDA

View Full Version : Two Fragility+Virulence Questions...

lord ebonstone
22-08-2005, 19:15
I did a search, and while I found information related to the topic, I didn't find the answers I was looking for... so I'll ask!

1.) Is it better to invest into Death Magic to increase the resultant Disease/Poison/Weakness durations, or is it better not to invest, causing very short durations, in order to 'spike' fragility damage at the expense of losing the longer degen?

2.) Does Fragility only proc when a brand new condition is applied, (one the target wasn't suffering before), or does it proc whenever the target suffers a fresh condition, regardless of whether the target had the condition before or not (ie, if the target was Blinded when Fragility landed, then was Blinded again before the first Blind was up, would Fragility proc?)

rodigee
22-08-2005, 19:27
1) Keep death magic at zero.

2) It only procs when a new conditon is applied. In your example fragility would not proc.

Patccmoi
22-08-2005, 20:01
1) Keep death magic at zero.

2) It only procs when a new conditon is applied. In your example fragility would not proc.

I always wondered if keeping Death at 0 is the best way... i know about the double spike and all, but if you fail to kill your target right away it's a big waste.

Wouldn't it be nice to instead get your Death to the point where Virulence lasts 9 seconds? This way you could hurt your target with -8 degen (which is very serious damage overall) for that time and the do a double spike the SECOND time when your target is already weak from the first attack + degen. When it wears off at 9 seconds your target takes 100 damage, then you recast Virulence 1 sec later and you also keep your target at a constant -8 degen. It likely depends on the full team strategy, but this seems to be a worthy option too, because i see many people surviving the initial Fragility spike in solid teams, but not sure if they'd do so well weakened when the second spike hits (a more concentrated spike with only 1 second interval between both hits instead of 3).

That or you can Arcane Echo your Virulence with Death at 0.

SirSyrath
22-08-2005, 20:24
Its a double edged sword. If someone who has experienced and is familiar with the fragility combo they are very likely to discard the conditions because they are going to be short lived. This puts him into panic mode when they dont disappear after 3 seconds. Try this combo for a change. Drop shatter delusions and reduce domination to 0. Instead of shatter delusions take enfeeble. You now have a pattern like this
Time - Spell cast - Dmg caused

1.0 Fragility - 0 dmg
2.5 Phantom Pain (leave on) - degen damage of 6 per second - 0 dmg initially
At this point you may find someone is already reaching for the smite hex. If they do then you have approx 130 dmg from deep wound and first fragility.
enfeeble - weakness on for 30 or so dmg
Pause for a second or so
4.5 Enfeeble - target weakened and 30 dmg
5.5 Virulence on - already has weakness , so 60 dmg from fragiilty
12.5 phantom Pain ends (60 dmg from degen) (if it wasnt removed) for 30 dmg and 100 from deep wound
14.5 Virulence ends for 90 or so dmg and 154 dmg from degen.
Now if you still see the purple arrow up recast virulence for 90 dmg and degen. If not recast in this order(if target is still alive).
Fragility
Virulence 90 dmg spike plus 9 second degen.
phantom pain

So you now have done them a whole world of pain they have deep wound, they have disease, they have poison, they have weakness, they have -11 degen (10 is max but it can counter some healing). They have more hex/condition icons in the top left than they know what to deal with , same goes for the monk. If the monk removes the conditions while the fragility is still there he triggers dmg, if the monk removes the hexes first then he will most likely cause a deep wound and still have degen running.

Also when energy drained you can still run around and cast virulence on enemies with conditions. If they dont have a condition then cast enfeeble and give them one. Now cast virulence , you now have -8 degen and weakness for 9 seconds on your target, only cost you 10 energy.

The short time spike dmg mesmer relies on quick dmg, and a certain combo of spells cast in order, that isnt to say you have to follow the pack, ive had success with both. Disease alone can cause mayhem in your opponents team since its passed round everyone (including your team).

When monks see 3 people in the team all with green bars for more than a few seconds , it usually gives them a heart attack.

Its really up to you how you play it and how comfortable you are with it.

Sir Syrath

Patccmoi
22-08-2005, 22:11
Its a double edged sword. If someone who has experienced and is familiar with the fragility combo they are very likely to discard the conditions because they are going to be short lived. This puts him into panic mode when they dont disappear after 3 seconds. Try this combo for a change. Drop shatter delusions and reduce domination to 0. Instead of shatter delusions take enfeeble. You now have a pattern like this
Time - Spell cast - Dmg caused

1.0 Fragility - 0 dmg
2.5 Phantom Pain (leave on) - degen damage of 6 per second - 0 dmg initially
At this point you may find someone is already reaching for the smite hex. If they do then you have approx 130 dmg from deep wound and first fragility.
enfeeble - weakness on for 30 or so dmg
Pause for a second or so
4.5 Enfeeble - target weakened and 30 dmg
5.5 Virulence on - already has weakness , so 60 dmg from fragiilty
12.5 phantom Pain ends (60 dmg from degen) (if it wasnt removed) for 30 dmg and 100 from deep wound
14.5 Virulence ends for 90 or so dmg and 154 dmg from degen.
Now if you still see the purple arrow up recast virulence for 90 dmg and degen. If not recast in this order(if target is still alive).
Fragility
Virulence 90 dmg spike plus 9 second degen.
phantom pain

So you now have done them a whole world of pain they have deep wound, they have disease, they have poison, they have weakness, they have -11 degen (10 is max but it can counter some healing). They have more hex/condition icons in the top left than they know what to deal with , same goes for the monk. If the monk removes the conditions while the fragility is still there he triggers dmg, if the monk removes the hexes first then he will most likely cause a deep wound and still have degen running.

Also when energy drained you can still run around and cast virulence on enemies with conditions. If they dont have a condition then cast enfeeble and give them one. Now cast virulence , you now have -8 degen and weakness for 9 seconds on your target, only cost you 10 energy.

The short time spike dmg mesmer relies on quick dmg, and a certain combo of spells cast in order, that isnt to say you have to follow the pack, ive had success with both. Disease alone can cause mayhem in your opponents team since its passed round everyone (including your team).

When monks see 3 people in the team all with green bars for more than a few seconds , it usually gives them a heart attack.

Its really up to you how you play it and how comfortable you are with it.

Sir Syrath

Instead of Enfeeble, how about using:

Illu of Haste -> Fragility -> PP (don't trigger it) -> Plague Sending (buahaha you're crippled... you're ALL crippled!) -> Virulence

Could be fun and gives you a nice running skill should you need it too, with no real downside since you can always throw cripple once you get it, throw back bleeding, etc.

lord ebonstone
22-08-2005, 22:45
It'd take too long to get crippled via Illusion of Haste is the problem. Since the duration increases with Illusion Magic, and since this build relies on high Illusion magic, it'd be around 20-30 seconds before Haste finally wore off and you could transfer the resultant crippled condition.

I mean, it's doable at the beginning of the match if you time it right, but mid-match it could be a pain waiting for the Haste to finally wear off.

Patccmoi
22-08-2005, 23:18
It'd take too long to get crippled via Illusion of Haste is the problem. Since the duration increases with Illusion Magic, and since this build relies on high Illusion magic, it'd be around 20-30 seconds before Haste finally wore off and you could transfer the resultant crippled condition.

I mean, it's doable at the beginning of the match if you time it right, but mid-match it could be a pain waiting for the Haste to finally wear off.

At 16 Illusion i think the duration is 11 sec (max 12), it's nothing near 30 seconds. It can be redoable easily, just recast Illusion of Haste to match the cooldown of plague sending.

lord ebonstone
22-08-2005, 23:35
At 16 Illusion i think the duration is 11 sec (max 12), it's nothing near 30 seconds. It can be redoable easily, just recast Illusion of Haste to match the cooldown of plague sending.
Yup, you're right, my bad.

SirSyrath
23-08-2005, 01:01
I tried that once , and it is very inconvenient waiting for the cripple to occur to plague send it. You are already working an already energy heavy set of skills you now are adding 2 more skills to it leaving you no space for energy retrieval. You could lose phantom pain then you have no protection hex and fragility is much easier removed. Meanwhile you need (minimum).Also if you happen to be unlucky enough to have any form of energy drain after you cast fragility, you are running around crippled until you have enough energy to plague send.

Personally I didnt like it when I tried. You may have better success with it.

Sir Syrath