PDA

View Full Version : Oath Shot

Quiddler on da roof
25-08-2005, 05:28
Though i haven't used this skill yet, it seems impressive. I never see peopel using it either. I see it overshadowed by barrage and poison arrow. People want the most damage dealing elites. Why is this overlooked? I'm going to try and get it soon, once i get another skill point, but it seems extremely effective when used with 2 stances (ie. dryder's and whirling) or with throw dirt. Can anyone explain why it is never used?

thanks guys

Lefaras
25-08-2005, 05:43
Actually i use it alot. and i think a lot of trapper or evasion ranger use it a lot too.

I think it is prob coz it is not as visible as barrage or poison arrow so must ppl are unaware that it is even being use.

Scary Raebbit
25-08-2005, 05:50
Also used with Spirit Spam, even though spirits are about to be nerfed...

Link Boy Hero
25-08-2005, 06:12
i don;t think they will Nerf spirts, if they do it will unbalance the ranger abilitys, the only thing i think they need to do with sprits is make then so you cannot block things with them, as they were never intended to be used in such a way... keep in mind it effects everyone not just the other people

Ruds
25-08-2005, 07:31
Just as you've said, it's great with 2 stances. I use it to solo quite frequently.

Feyd Grey
25-08-2005, 08:18
Oath shot is the conerstone of my solo build, which also involves two stances(whirling and ryders), two traps(dust for blind barbed for bleed and cripple), troll unguent, apply poison, anc concusion shot(incase i run into a troublesome caster)

Aviyur
25-08-2005, 11:25
I always use Oath Shot when farming...its a pitty expertise doesnt affect spells, and rangers suffer from low energy, otherwise you could get some insane combo's going ;)

Zero
26-08-2005, 00:40
I always use Oath Shot when farming...its a pitty expertise doesnt affect spells, and rangers suffer from low energy, otherwise you could get some insane combo's going ;)
Glyph of lesser energy o na R/E with meteor/shower+oath shot. Very fun build when you get the order right ;)

Aviyur
26-08-2005, 03:18
But doesnt the exhaustion kill your energy?

Quiddler on da roof
26-08-2005, 06:37
yeah i guess i overlook people using this skill, but i still think it is greatly underrated. that one poll about the most effective ranger elite, everyone picked poison arrow and barrage. only a few people voted for this great skill.
thanks for your input

ChaosJester
26-08-2005, 06:49
With the new Meteor and Fireball... perhaps the exhaustion won't be as bad for us, since Meteor takes a while to recharge, and with a Fireslinger Nuke build, Energy is not always a real problem. I use a Nuke build with Barrage, and I RARELY run out of energy, unless I am spam CASTING, which a Barrage nuker doesn't normally need to do unless their role as a nuker isn't as important as the reason they are casting. I have Druid's Armor, and I would go with a different armor, but I don't want to have to get the runes and extra materials involved, as I would rather save them for 15k armor where I may go with a different armor type than I now use.

Oath Shot is good, but as most people like degen or nuke builds (I do as well, and I find Oath Shot is good for some builds, and counterproductive for others, and I don't have skills combos right now that make Oath Shot worth it for me) people are going to prefer Poison Arrow and Barrage, especially as they are 'cooler' effect-wise. I mean, who DOESN'T want to be able to shoot a ton of arrows at a time, or to shoot an enemy and have him get poisoned to death, especially when another skill's entire effect is that you can do some stuff quicker? Since Oath Shot is not AS needed in PvE, Barrage and Poison Arrow, which are great in PvE, will probably take the king spots.

Patccmoi
26-08-2005, 06:57
Here's a little build we use in 8v8:

R/El with

Energizing Wind
Meteor Shower
Rodgort's Invocation
Deep Freeze/Eruption (usually we have 3 R/El like this and this spell changes, we only want it for the effect)
Glyph of Sacrifice
Oath Shot
2 other skills depending on the team

attrib are something like 12 fire, 11 expertise, rest depends on other skills..

Basically, you do Glyph of Sacrifice -> Meteor Shower. Use Deep Freeze or Eruption without Glyph, they only 3 sec cast. Then Glyph of Sacrifice->Rodgort's. Oath Shot. Rinse and repeat.

You're able to throw a Met Shower and Rodgort's every 30 sec (don't go faster even if possible or exhaustion will kill you) with instant cast time which is something even elems can't dream to do. All the spells cost only 10 energy with wind and nobody cares bout the recharge time, you all got Oath. It's really nice overall and works quite well :)

Glyph of Sacrifice is one of the best things to combine with Oath Shot ^^

Stephanus Aurelius
26-08-2005, 07:05
I haven't aquired Oath Shot yet, but after I get it I'll probably rotate that through. I do use Barrage a lot (for AoE) and combine that with Predatory Season which (along with all the other Spirits) is about to be castrated :mad: .

Euphemism
26-08-2005, 19:46
Poison Arrow can be gotten as soon as you arrive at Droknar. Barrage is captured from Markis, on the second mission, so it's available fairly early. Oath shot can first be captured in Thunderhead Keep, which I keep failing and have yet to see Perfect Bow. In any case, does anyone capture it there?

Anyhow, that's why I've been using Barrage mostly, occasionally Poison Arrow, and haven't used Oath Shot at all.

ChaosJester
26-08-2005, 19:54
Don't worry, all the Jade Bow bosses have Oath Shot, which happens to include one in Iron Mines of Moladune, and Perfected Cloak in Thunderhead Keep.

You won't get to the Moladune Jade Bow boss via the standard Infusion run route, but if you go for the bonus, or are intentionally skill capping with a completely infused group, then you can fight your way to him.

Scol
26-08-2005, 20:28
Last night while doing Thunderhead I used it in an interrupt build. Energy intensive using Concussion twice, but Distracting and savage isn't too bad with the high expertise.

I know there's better options for interrupts like maybe incendiary but I haven't captured that yet.. still gotta get practiced stance for the choking gas option too.

I gotta admit though, it was definitely fun occasionally doing up to 6 interrupts in a row on an Mursaat Eles while the rest of the team wiped him out. The bosses were handled quite easily as well.

Elessar the True
27-08-2005, 02:19
Its my default elite for PvE, both in groups and soloing, on my R/W. I use it, among other things, to keep Lightning Reflexes up almost constantly. In a group, I can get away with using Frenzy instead, but obviously not soloing, and Tiger's requires a whole extra attribute line and blacks out skills.

Increased attack speed is crucial for Ranger DPS, and Oath Shot is a more versatile way to get it than Quick Shot.