PDA

View Full Version : mes/monk or mes/EL?

Fancy Destruction
25-08-2005, 11:51
Hi,

I have played this game for 4 weaks now, but i am still a noob :rolleyes:
I want to make a mes but realy i dont know what second proffession is best the monk or the elementalist. I like them both.

Good somebody help me and tell me what the differance about the two is and what makes the combination special?

Thx

ps: Ik hope you can read my crappy english :p

Auntie I
25-08-2005, 14:37
First of all, since your asking for help and in a polite manner I'd have to say your not a Noob. A Noob would never ask a question since they already know it all.

My suggestion for your Mesmer is to select monk. The ability to heal may save you while your learning the ins and outs of playing a mesmer. The elementalist has the offensive skills to decimate your enemies but many of the skills are very energy intensive. Starting out I recommend the Monk Secondary. You can always try the Elementalist later.
:happy34:

Cymboric Treewalker
25-08-2005, 15:52
I always like to play a class that can get rid of conditions and hexes...

The Mesmer can get rid of hexes.

An Elementalist can do neither.

For that reason I would choose Monk of the choices you gave. You may want to consider Necromancer though as it will allow you to GIVE conditions to the other team.

Elessar the True
25-08-2005, 15:53
What makes any combination of Me/x special is your unique ability to fastcast spells. Unfortunately, you don't have the attribute points to really take advantage of this until around lvl 15 or so, so it can be easy to miss. Later on (you spend the bulk of the game at or near lvl 20 if you do all the quests), it has a huge impact.

Look through the skill lists of each profession (including necromancer!) and take note of the casting time of the spells. Being a primary Mesmer, you are uniquely able to improve these casting times, making some spells that seem weak viable, and some that look average into powerhouses. Also remember that any monk spell that targets an ally (including itself) will be far less effective for you than for a primary monk, because you lack divine favor.

Fancy Destruction
25-08-2005, 16:51
Thx for your reactions

I already have a level 20 ranger/elementalist, so i now little about it. But i dont rember a single mission when i play them again. lol
and i want this one to go al the way up to that level 20 :)I find my ranger a little boring, just did it for the pet, but its always in my way, and it takes three slots of spells, realy dont like that.

But now you talk over the necro, what make him so special with mes?
I just want to have fun and stay alive in the game :)
So if i have to choose monk, elementalist and necro most of you will choose the necro?
I know that the healing spells as secondproffesion are not that great missing divine favor. And if mes had good healing of it self i realy dont need it. I am not a pvp player, not good in it anyway.

And last question is what is bether necro/mes than or mes/necro?

Thx for reading my question and hope i here from you sone :)

Captain Boxman
25-08-2005, 17:00
What makes any combination of Me/x special is your unique ability to fastcast spells. Unfortunately, you don't have the attribute points to really take advantage of this until around lvl 15 or so, so it can be easy to miss. Later on (you spend the bulk of the game at or near lvl 20 if you do all the quests), it has a huge impact.

Look through the skill lists of each profession (including necromancer!) and take note of the casting time of the spells. Being a primary Mesmer, you are uniquely able to improve these casting times, making some spells that seem weak viable, and some that look average into powerhouses. Also remember that any monk spell that targets an ally (including itself) will be far less effective for you than for a primary monk, because you lack divine favor.

I'm a me/mo working my way through the maguuma missions atm, and I would say that monk is the way to go considering the low caliber of monks in GW up until the ascension quests. because mesmers have low defense, ether feast alone is not powerful enough to keep yourself alive if you have a crappy monk as monsters (in my experience) often melee the mesmers. My ultimate advice would be to choose monk as your secondary and switch to necro or elementalist in the Crystal Desert after Ascension and Droknar's Forge armor.

millinghordesman
25-08-2005, 17:09
Thx for your reactions

I already have a level 20 ranger/elementalist, so i now little about it. But i dont rember a single mission when i play them again. lol
and i want this one to go al the way up to that level 20. I find my ranger a little boring, just did it for the pet, but its always in my way, and it takes three slots of spells, realy dont like that.
yeah, the skill slots required to keep a pet up and running are somewhat taxing, aren't they? still, there's some very good and useful ways to play a ranger that are very beneficial to teams and for soloing, so keep the ranger around unless you run out of skill lots in case you want to explore them later :happy34:

But now you talk over the necro, what make him so special with mes?
I just want to have fun and stay alive in the game

the attraction of the necro for a mesmer is two-fold:
1) necro spells generally have long cast times. a mesmer's fast casting attribute has a much stronger effect on spells with a longer cast time. because of this, there may be skills or skill combinations that are much more viable with fast casting than without, and playing a necro may allow you to exploit them (not in terms of "an exploit", but like, take advantage of them)

2) while a monk may be able to cast a "remove conditions" type spell on themselves, a necro is able to cast several "give conditions" type spells/skills that will send bleeding, burning, blind, etc, back to the enemy. that can be very powerful when using things like signet of midnight, epidemic, etc.

So if i have to choose monk, elementalist and necro most of you will choose the necro?

no, one person said they'd choose a necro. i'd consider a Me/Mo that could get a vital healing seed out onto the field in record time to be just as important. still, i'd probably go with necro myself as well, just because of the devistating combinations of hexes and conditions that you can spread around the field.

I know that the healing spells as secondproffesion are not that great missing divine favor. And if mes had good healing of it self i realy dont need it. I am not a pvp player, not good in it anyway.

ether feast really is a nice "healing" spell, but when you come under heavy fire, there's nothing like a monk (or your own monk secondary) to restore your health. except maybe having an effective counter to the situation.

And last question is what is bether necro/mes than or mes/necro?

sorry, having not played a mesmer, i can't really answer your question.

Thx for reading my question and hope i here from you sone
looks like you're getting a plethora of responses. no problems there :D

Captain Boxman
25-08-2005, 17:59
me/n is a very attractive combination because of the fast casting and ability to use condition skills, and me/mo is good for self-healing, back-up monking (someone mentioned healing seed earlier) and healing conditions...really it all comes down to your preferences and how long you intend to be in a team searching for a good monk every mission.

Fancy Destruction
25-08-2005, 21:07
Well thank you all

I think i am going for the necro myself.
Whats the use of fast casting if i dont have spells that need that and i like the necro spells bin al over te forum reading about it, like some of you adviced. I agree the monk makes it easer but not more fun i think. Well i probely die alot but i don't lose my stuff like diablo, so what do i care :p

Do you know a good guild who can help me and i can join?

I have my own guild but want to give it away, just started it a weak ago out curiousity but i dont like being a leader. Dont have the time for it either. And i am not experience enough for guildbattles.
You have to know i am a mama of two little boys at home :) hands full there.

Well thx alot again!!!

Captain Boxman
25-08-2005, 22:49
Well thank you all

I think i am going for the necro myself.
Whats the use of fast casting if i dont have spells that need that and i like the necro spells bin al over te forum reading about it, like some of you adviced. I agree the monk makes it easer but not more fun i think. Well i probely die alot but i don't lose my stuff like diablo, so what do i care :p

Do you know a good guild who can help me and i can join?

I have my own guild but want to give it away, just started it a weak ago out curiousity but i dont like being a leader. Dont have the time for it either. And i am not experience enough for guildbattles.
You have to know i am a mama of two little boys at home :) hands full there.

Well thx alot again!!!

I have the perfect guild for you. We're building up to GvG, still about 20 members away from having full teams at any given time...we're very small and VERY helpful, run people through missions, trade at low prices, etc. It's Hunters Depot, I'm an officer, Captain Boxman/Captain Boxwoman/Cersei The Ho/Mother Of Dragons...whisper me anytime you see me on, we'll talk about you possibly joining up. I look forward to speaking with you!

jaredmartinsen
25-08-2005, 23:43
Don't do a Ra or a El since you have already done them.

I think you would like Ne/Me you can get lots of minions if you like the pet idea or you can go blood to stay alive. Me is good for backfire and hexbreaker and others.

Me/Mo would help to keep you and other alive.
Me/Ne - can keep you alive some with blood.
Mo/X - if you want to keep others alive.

InsertCoins Please
26-08-2005, 00:11
Well, I started playing yesterday with a Me/Mo and have worked my way up to Level 8, almost 9 without many problems. I think the combination works well, especially in combat with a few rapid Degeneration spells and some quick fix healing. Although, with only 8 hours of play under my belt and this being my first post, I have very little credibility.

But hey, I like it :-D

Fancy Destruction
26-08-2005, 01:28
Well i have taken the Monk after all :uhhuh:
I can aways change the prof later in the desert, for now i am just gonna heal myself becausse nobody els will :D

Captain Boxman, ik have put you in my friendslist, so i will wisper you when i see you!! thx.

Captain Boxman
26-08-2005, 15:35
Well i have taken the Monk after all :uhhuh:
I can aways change the prof later in the desert, for now i am just gonna heal myself becausse nobody els will :D

Captain Boxman, ik have put you in my friendslist, so i will wisper you when i see you!! thx.

You've chosen wisely. Good monks are hard to find, and mesmers have to have healing to survive...besides, you can always become more "adventurous" later on and experiment with a necro later in your gaming experience (as I will!)...and I really would appreciate you whispering me about joining Hunters Depot...good people that are also good players are hard to find...especially those who take the time to read through forums on strategy.