PDA

View Full Version : Panic got buffed

tranceaddict
25-08-2005, 16:49
We took some time to look at skills we felt were under-used (like Panic, Spinal Shivers, Dwarven Battle Stance, and a few others) and tried to either reduce their cost or increase their effects. Often we find the best way to balance something is to increase the effectiveness of its counters; this can be a very tricky thing to do, but it often provides more interesting play.

Before...

Panic: Target foe and all adjacent foes are hexed with Panic for 8-18 seconds. While hexed, they suffer energy degeneration of 2 and take 10-68 damage whenever they use a signet ring. This is an elite skill.

After...

Panic: Target foe and all nearby foes are hexed with Panic for 10-25 seconds. While hexed, they suffer energy degeneration of 2 and take 10-68 damage whenever they use a signet ring. This is an elite skill.

Can this new buff be useful in Mesmer builds?

Discuss.

Discord
25-08-2005, 17:21
I may be completely wrong, but it doesn't seem like a huge FotM potential buff (which is a good thing! Keep us mesmers scarce-er!), more like just a bit of extra frosting. The extra range is of course nice, but especially in the builds that I've tried out Panic in, I'm usually fairly focused on energy degening my one or two targets to really care about any of the others that happen to be in range. Of course, this might potentially mean that the opposing team is hindered even more than before, which is always a good thing, but like I said, it's more of a value-added benefit.

The seven extra seconds is huge, though. I always thought that Panic's cost of 25 whopping energy was a bit high... at least now, it's justified by a 1 cost/second return.

I'll take it :happy34:

Phaeax
25-08-2005, 17:28
I've always liked this skill, and now it's getting beefed. Sweet!

One item of note though, from our testing of it a few weeks back we found that it affected an area about 6 people away from the target, a smaller range than others but still pretty big in my opinion. Now it should be ward-sized, perfect for casters in the middle of a ward!

tranceaddict
25-08-2005, 17:42
I noticed there was a post about panic already. Too late. :rolleyes: Haha. MERGE!

Warskullx
25-08-2005, 18:18
I've always liked this skill, and now it's getting beefed. Sweet!

One item of note though, from our testing of it a few weeks back we found that it affected an area about 6 people away from the target, a smaller range than others but still pretty big in my opinion. Now it should be ward-sized, perfect for casters in the middle of a ward!

With the popularity of healing balls and signet of devotion this could be a good thing. I have seen monks balling up on the rise lately. Toss in some scourge healing and you make have some nice anti-ball capabilities.

DotR
25-08-2005, 19:23
This becomes a lot better with NR nerfed.

When you hit multiple targets with panic a hex goes on each of them.

This is really hard to dispel now. The added duration is great too.

Of course it still doesn't do too much...but its not bad. I could see the use in an organized team.

MrFish
25-08-2005, 19:38
I'll be happy if Healing Touch triggers backfire. That would be a godsend for all mesmers. Panic is something i'm due to test, I just wish mesmer degens were a little stronger for single targets.

My build happens to be illusion domination: Phantasm, Migraine, Pain as my drains, which on their own are not alot (except migraine) unlike curse necros, which land some much more powerful draining hexes. My five skill combo is good, but I dont use inspiration, so I land it on one target and run off until ive got some energy back. Might have to drop etherlord or something into it.

Nobleman Azure
26-08-2005, 03:30
healing Touch does trigger backfire, its a spell.

Panic on the first test is 6u. After the PVP event I shall be conductiong another range test and it will include panic again for an update.

Saikyo
26-08-2005, 03:32
Funny thing about that part of the update is that I've already used Panic and Spinal Shivers in builds before... Since they buffed them both I think I'm gonna have to re-test those builds to see if they work better.

Of course it seeing as the reason they buffed them was because no one was using them (besides me and maybe 3 other people...) I still wonder if it we will actually see more useage of Panic (or Shivers and Dwarven) in PvP.

arredondo
26-08-2005, 07:37
Are these changes permanant, or only for this weekend?

Smoke and Mist
26-08-2005, 17:01
Funny thing about that part of the update is that I've already used Panic and Spinal Shivers in builds before... Since they buffed them both I think I'm gonna have to re-test those builds to see if they work better.

Of course it seeing as the reason they buffed them was because no one was using them (besides me and maybe 3 other people...) I still wonder if it we will actually see more useage of Panic (or Shivers and Dwarven) in PvP.

I was using both of these as well...I am assuming the energy drain when interupting are the same with shivers?