PDA

View Full Version : Necro elementalist

bloodtide
19-09-2005, 13:24
Im a real noob to the game and i was wondering if this is a good build to use in PvE and PvP. Fire magic combined with blood or curses seemed to work well for me as you can attack more than one person at one and do a lot of damage.

Big Hans
19-09-2005, 20:30
Let me tell you. Speaking from experience, N/E is a very limted combination. Fire and death works to get a lot of kills and energy back with soul reaping. Fire and blood would work for healing yourself while nuking. If you go for damage with blood, I think it would drain the energy for your fire spells.

Xandlyn
19-09-2005, 21:01
You may want to look into what skills you'll be wanting to use. Because I know a lot of ele skills are pretty pricey on energy. So if you are going to be using a lot of high energy skills you may want to go ele/necro because ele has energy storage. Then you can use necro skills like OoB to get energy back by sacrificing your health. Necro primary is nice because you get energy after each kill you do but depending on how many points you are willing to spend in Soul Reaping will depend on how much energy you will get back. Not to mention how many bodies you can kill at a time.

So thats roughlt worked out like this:
-Ele with armor you will have about 40 energy. Then with max attribute points in energy storage you will have an extra 39 energy. (13 points in energy storage, every 1 point will give you +3 energy). So thats about 79 worth of energy.
-Necro with armor is 40 energy. You gain 1 energy for every 1 point in Soul Reaping. So with max in soul reaping that's +13 energy everytime something dies.

Also check ele skills because some do cause exhaustion. Hmm...I hope I am not making this more confusing. Perhaps someone else will have some better info as I am not always correct. But as long as you read over the ele skills and check energy costs I think a necro primary will work. Also an ele primary will work for mass costing spells right in the beginning. Either way I'd make sure to bring along an energy support skill.

Nefaru Firestorm
20-09-2005, 00:25
I started, (and went through the entirety of the game until Droknars) as a Death/Fire Necromancer/Elementalist.

I had 4 necro spells, 3 ele, and a resurrection signet.

Animate Bone Horror
Animate Bone Fiend
Verata's Sacrifice
_varied Death Magic skills_
Firestorm
Meteor Shower
Glyph of Lesser Energy
Resurrection Signet

This build relied heavily on my teammates to keep me alive, in which they were richly rewarded with some heavy damage attacks as well as a small army to back them up.

bloodtide
20-09-2005, 02:56
Sounds like mabye not many people like this build. But so far it has worked very well for me. Using things like demonic flesh followed by blood renewal and then glyth of lesser energery means you can chuck out a energy and time cost attacks without fear of loosing health and energy and then attack them with whatever else.

Watsman
21-09-2005, 03:10
Necro elementalists are quite effective and you can fair decent with any of the branches of elementalist but you have to choose necro skills that will compliment those elementalist skills, not the other way around. I personally like fire/death the most but I have played a curse/water build successfully along with blood/earth and death/air. Name what you want to do, and I can help with a theoretical build.

Lord Skull
21-09-2005, 17:06
I'm rather curious on the builds that a necro/ele could have.
Would you mind posting some samples for me to take a look at?

Watsman
21-09-2005, 22:15
Possible builds:
Blood/Air:
12 blood, 12 air, 9 soul reaping
Lightning orb
lightning strike
blinding flash
life siphon
life transfer
barbed signet
glyph of lesser energy
res. signet

Death/Fire:
12 death, 12 fire, 9 soul reaping
immolate
incendiary bonds
meteor
virulence
death nova
soul feast
glyph of lesser energy
res signet

Blood/Earth:
12 earth, 12 death, 9 soul reaping
life siphon
life transfer(though you could try obsidian flesh but I find you always want this on before you start getting targeted...which makes no sense)
vampiric gaze
armor of earth
obsidian flame
ward vs. melee
ward vs. elements
res signet

curses/water(prepare to run alot with this one)
12 curses, 12 water, 9 soul reaping
soul barbs
parasitic bond(important to spread this one around early)
ice spikes
shard storm
blurred vision
glyph of energy
glyph of lesser energy
res signet

or you could try:
blood/curses/water(12/12/10)
spinal shivers
rend enchantments
life transfer
offering of blood
conjure frost
armor of mist
glyph of lesser energy
res signet

Make sure to use a cold based weapon so spinal shivers goes off. You can even try an ice sword/axe with 20% longer enchantments for the increased attack speed.

Big Hans
21-09-2005, 23:06
This is an all or nothing build, but it's fun if it works.

12 Fire
10 Soul Reaping
10+Death

1.Immolate
2.Fireball
3.Incindiary Bonds
4. Phoenix
5. Rotting Flesh
6. Putrid Explosion
7. Soul Feast
8. Rez Sig

What you do is cast rotting flesh on a pack of enemies. It works better with more creatures. Then get a medium distance away and use incendiary. Run up close and use Phoenix. This spell has the same casting time as the time it takes for incendiary to go off. Pheonix will hit all nearby enemies twice with fire. If this doesn't kill them, they'll be severely weakened by the blast. If at least one goes down, you can use putrid to finish more of them off. For the survivors, you can use immolate or maybe just wand them. The reason fireball is in there is if it's too dicey to run in with phoenix or there's not enough time left.

I know it's expensive to use rotting flesh,incendiary, and phoenix together. But it's a ton of damage in a short amount of time. Firestorm could do almost the same damage, but would take twice as long. And with 10 in soul reaping, most of the energy expended is reclaimed. I know this is not bulletproof build. You must have a warrior to back you up among other things. But it's very fun to use on the packs of minotaurs in Elona Reach and watch em all go down with 4 sets of yellow numbers above their heads.

Watsman
21-09-2005, 23:25
This is an all or nothing build, but it's fun if it works.

12 Fire
10 Soul Reaping
10+Death

1.Immolate
2.Fireball
3.Incindiary Bonds
4. Phoenix
5. Rotting Flesh
6. Putrid Explosion
7. Soul Feast
8. Rez Sig

What you do is cast rotting flesh on a pack of enemies. It works better with more creatures. Then get a medium distance away and use incendiary. Run up close and use Phoenix. This spell has the same casting time as the time it takes for incendiary to go off. Pheonix will hit all nearby enemies twice with fire. If this doesn't kill them, they'll be severely weakened by the blast. If at least one goes down, you can use putrid to finish more of them off. For the survivors, you can use immolate or maybe just wand them. The reason fireball is in there is if it's too dicey to run in with phoenix or there's not enough time left.

I know it's expensive to use rotting flesh,incendiary, and phoenix together. But it's a ton of damage in a short amount of time. Firestorm could do almost the same damage, but would take twice as long. And with 10 in soul reaping, most of the energy expended is reclaimed. I know this is not bulletproof build. You must have a warrior to back you up among other things. But it's very fun to use on the packs of minotaurs in Elona Reach and watch em all go down with 4 sets of yellow numbers above their heads.

The energy use is phenomenal.
rotting flesh = 15
Phoenix = 15
fireball = 15
incendiary bonds = 15
soul feast = 10
putrid explosion = 10

How do you deal with this amount of energy? This would be good in pve, as you said but would have trouble keeping up in pvp fights. Why not instead of rotting flesh, use tainted flesh? I costs only 5 plus you can cast it on the entire team before going into battle, giving you time to regenerate your energy. Glyph of lesser energy is almos a must have for necro eles. It is for those times when the battle becomes drawn out and nothing is dying to allow soul reaps off of. Virulence would also work if you time it with your incendiary bond.

Vexed Arcanist
22-09-2005, 01:08
Why bother going for burn? You have AoE damage ala Putrid Explosion and Deathly Swarm. Why try and burn when you don't have energy storage?

My Nec/E

Death 16
Earth 10
Soul Reaping 9

Deathly Swarm
Putrid Explosion
Plague Sending
Virulence {E}
Ward Against Melee
Ward Against Elements
Verata's Sacrifice/Taste of Death/Res Sig, whatever
Animate X (Bone Minions for me)

The wards protect you, your group and your minions. Minions die a bit faster than Horrors so your Soul Reap keeps your energy up. Deathly Swarm and Putrid for mad AoE (Not Echo/Burn mad, but mad enough). I use Plague Sending and Virulence mainly in Grenths and SF. That is what this build is aimed at. You could drop Plague Sending and Virulence for any number of things, including Ward Against Harm.

Big Hans
22-09-2005, 01:54
The energy use is phenomenal.
rotting flesh = 15
Phoenix = 15
fireball = 15
incendiary bonds = 15
soul feast = 10
putrid explosion = 10

How do you deal with this amount of energy? This would be good in pve, as you said but would have trouble keeping up in pvp fights. Why not instead of rotting flesh, use tainted flesh? I costs only 5 plus you can cast it on the entire team before going into battle, giving you time to regenerate your energy. Glyph of lesser energy is almos a must have for necro eles. It is for those times when the battle becomes drawn out and nothing is dying to allow soul reaps off of. Virulence would also work if you time it with your incendiary bond.

Like I said, it's just something crazy and insane when things get boring. ;) I forgot to say this works during PvE. Also, I made it with a character through the desert without all the elites and skills collected yet. I have an insightful fire staff (10 Energy 11-22 Fire(Req 12 Fire Magic) +3 Energy) so I have only 43 base energy, but it helps.

As for the energy, that's what's crazy about it. I swear I end up with half to all of my energy recharged after the initial assault. At the ramp in Elona with the multiple minataur patrols our one warrior was holding the lot of them. I ran up, did the combo and they all fell dead. I clicked on my mana bar telling everyone I had max energy left. My party consisted of one w/me, n/w, three elementalist primaries and myself.

Big Hans
22-09-2005, 02:05
ok maybe this is just me, but I'm not to impressed so far with swarm in PvE. It's expensive, slow to cast, and not as damaging over an area as fireball for example. Unless there was a vunerability to cold damage and I needed it to augment water spells high recharge time, I wouldn't use it. If I didn't have access to elementalist spells, I'd have to use it.

Your build is good and I have used variants of it myself by the way.

Vexed Arcanist
22-09-2005, 07:10
ok maybe this is just me, but I'm not to impressed so far with swarm in PvE. It's expensive, slow to cast, and not as damaging over an area as fireball for example. Unless there was a vunerability to cold damage and I needed it to augment water spells high recharge time, I wouldn't use it. If I didn't have access to elementalist spells, I'd have to use it.

Your build is good and I have used variants of it myself by the way.

If you are using 20/20 items, swarm isn't all that slow to cast. To make up for when it is, it has a super fast recycle compared to most other AoE type effects from other cast lines. It is spammable and very effective.

bloodtide
22-09-2005, 12:20
Im begginning to think this is very much a matter of opinion and your personal style in some cases as apposed to effectiveness.

Big Hans
22-09-2005, 20:51
Unlike other combiniations, I'd say that it isn't as glaringly obvious what it would be effectve for, like a Warrior Monk. This from skimming the skill descriptions. It's also not the most popular combo out there. Most use fire and death, like me.

Another suggestion. Here are the possible roles that a n/e could fill according to element. Fire and Lighting-Damage Water-Skirmishing/Snare/Annoyance. Earth-Protection/Support.

I can see blood and earth to be good together with ward against foes/melee,blood ritual, well of blood, Dark Fury, and Blood is power being good. Water with curses and/or death seems neat. Then Fire for area damage or lightning for focused damage.

NameAlreadyInUse
22-09-2005, 21:19
I've been fooling around with a Curse/Earth build for a little while now that looks something like this:

Earth 12
Curses 10 +4
Death 6 +1 (to get max use out of a nice death staff with a couple max earth mods that droped for me a while back)
Soul Reaping 6 +1

Armor of Earth
Stoning
Aftershock
Enfeebling Blood
Feast of Corruption (E)
Faintheartedness/Insidious Parisite (still playing around with this...)
Shadow of Fear
Rotting Flesh

I'm sure there are a number of ways I could improve on this build, but right now I'm just playing around with it and it's been a lot of fun against warrior mobs and the like. The combo of enfeebling blood, stoning and aftershock is nice. Following with FoC is just the icing on the cake. :D

This actually did reasonable well in a two-man team in GF/SF a couple days ago with a Protection-battery N/M friend of mine. Still a lot of kinks to work out (energy management without a battery necro along for one) but it was fun to mess around with.

ccrazool
22-09-2005, 22:10
Curse/Water debuff/interrupter.

Max curses, Soul reaping to 'round 10, the rest in water.

Vs. Everybody
Spiteful Spirit {E}

Vs. Melee
Blurred Vision
Shadow of Fear
Enfeebling Blood

Vs. Casters
Spinal Shivers (and a water wand, hehe)
Maelstrom

Self Heal
Parasitic Bond

Rez signet