PDA

View Full Version : New ad expanding beyond it's borders

Reverend Loki
14-10-2005, 17:13
I just noticed a new ad today that appeared at the top of a forums page (while I was previewing a post, specifically) for some Nintendo DS game. The reason I mentioned it is that it initially loaded as a circular animation that seemingly had no border, and in fact existed outside the normal rectangular border at the top these ads normally exist in. After a few seconds it did return to that rectangle, but while it was outside of it it did obscure the normal forum header text.

Unfortunately, I didn't react fast enough to get a screen shot. If this behaviour is accepted out of these ads, no problem... I find it annoying, but not real annoying. Just don't let it progress any further down that "slippery slope", and I'll not complain. However, based upon what I've witnessed as far as ad policing goes, I'm not sure it is acceptable, and so I wanted to point it out. Also, if your agreement with the ad reseller is strictly for the banner ads at a specific size and shape, then this one takes liberties beyond that agreement, and you could/should get some extra money from them for it.

I'll try and keep an eye out, and next time I see it, I'll be sure to grab a screen cap.

Fallen_62
14-10-2005, 20:34
Yea, one of the mods pointed it out to me the other day. I told Rush about it, and thats all that I can do. Its out of my hands now.

flexiboy
16-10-2005, 16:00
yea i saw this and as i'm typing this its just happened again lol. anyway its for trace memory for the DS hope this helps

ramenXnoodles
16-10-2005, 16:04
The only ad I ever get is the WoW one.

Gaendaal
16-10-2005, 16:46
I got the pop-over DS one a while back. You can kill the animation if you click the tiny x that's in the top right of the picture (it's small but it IS there).

Gaendaal
18-10-2005, 09:50
Every goddamn page has this Trace Memory ad now! I don't even have (or am thinking of getting) a DS!!

Rushster
18-10-2005, 09:56
Expandable ads are stanfard now. We have worked hard to get relevant ads such as gaming products so I thought people would be at least happy about it.

Gaendaal
18-10-2005, 12:49
Expandable ads are stanfard now.
No they aren't. They're an irritant that takes focus away from what you want to look at. By "expandable" do you mean the rollover ability? I'm not bothered about that, it's the pop up that bothers me.

We have worked hard to get relevant ads such as gaming products so I thought people would be at least happy about it.
I can understand that you need to run the ads to get revenue so I'm not that annoyed by it but to think "Oh, it's a gaming ad so they'll be happy with it" is pretty short-sighted. As I said, I don't have a DS so the ad, gaming related or not, is of no interest to me whatsoever. You could at least have ads for PC games...there's loads of good ones coming up.

Bram Stoker
18-10-2005, 12:50
So long as the ads were relevant and STAYED IN THE AD BAR at the top of the screen, I doubt there would be a problem. This ad is WAY too intrusive.

It's popped up as the page to enter this message opened, and I've had to click back into the text box several times to type the message cos the ad is in the way.

It's a perfectly good example of WHY people are using ad blockers.

EDIT: Unbeliveably, this same damn DS ad is appearing all the time, I've just gone round 8 or 9 different pages, and it and it's annoying floating image and appeared every time :rant: :sign53:

Mr Panda
18-10-2005, 13:29
Yeah, it seems to be the sole advert on at the moment. i dont mind the banner ads, I dont mind ones with naff little games that take me to a website if I click on them (even if they are dodgy freepay ipods...im not that stupid).
But this is just annoying...and not funny.

Gah just found something even worse out. Being a vaguely intelligent person, i can keep typing whilst my screen is obscured (OMGPWN). So i ignore this lame ad, and reply to posts and type as normal. But yet another annoyance of this ad. Once it (finally) closes naturally, it steals focus from the typing area. So I have to leave my keybard, and click back in it, and carry on typing. Which is bloody annoying.

AND WTF... even worse. As I type my post, delete and rewrite words (im probably semi dyslexic, I can spell perfectly, but usually I end up rewriting each word. And I type so fast it barely has an impact...but meh). Whilst my focus is stoled onto this evil window...it's focused onto the internet explorer/whatever browser...and not the text box im typing into. So as I hit that backspace button to correct a word...
Whats the function of backspace in nearly every browser. Page Back.
GRRRRR. :sign53:

Heres a piccy, seeing as this omnipresent beasts seems as yet camera shy.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9716/wtf8oz.jpg

Auntie I
18-10-2005, 15:12
The popup is bugging the crap out of me too. It even popped up when I went to write up this post. It's taking over the site. :surprise:

Reverend Loki
18-10-2005, 17:14
Interesting behaviour, too. Though the clouded area normally disappates after a few seconds and returns to normal banner behavior, I'm using Firefox and used to opening multiple tabs, and it seems that the timer to return to normal does not start until the tab becomes the active focus - basically, it waits until you look at it.

Also, the banner doubles in height when you let the mouse linger over it, with a much longer "cooldown period" before it returns to a normal banner. I know, don't mouse over it then, and you won't have any problem. Also, the initial "cloud" does have a "close X' you can click on to return it to banner earlier - a pain, but at least it's something. Thing is, if you click on the X, you find out where the X was just happens to be in the middle of the banner, and if you don't move your mouse away immediately...

Really, you should not only try to get the ad removed (which I understand you are doing - bravo), but demand additional pay from the advertiser - since it can use up to twice as much real estate on your page, they should be given you at least twice as much, if not more!

http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/6782/annoying4qr.th.jpg (http://img358.imageshack.us/my.php?image=annoying4qr.jpg) http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/2963/annoying20vd.th.jpg (http://img358.imageshack.us/my.php?image=annoying20vd.jpg)

Mr Panda
18-10-2005, 17:42
worst of it is, it'd very bad advertising for this DS game. I would certainly not buy it now, not with such intrusive advertising...feels like they must be making up for something.

Gaendaal
18-10-2005, 17:53
Thing is, if you click on the X, you find out where the X was just happens to be in the middle of the banner, and if you don't move your mouse away immediately...
Yeah, I'd noticed that. VERY sneaky...

calderstrake
21-10-2005, 03:04
Found another IGE ad... sent via gmail to you Fallen.