PDA

View Full Version : my avatar keeps disipearing

Bilateralrope
26-10-2005, 21:54
It seems get replaced with a link to my profile, where the avatar isn't.

Phaeax
26-10-2005, 22:26
Whenever there is big forum work done it tends to *hiccup* on the avatars, forcing them to be reloaded.

Sometimes it scrambles them; sometimes it shows the broken image icon. Some other times it causes the image to not even attempt rendering, causing the link; it's all image dependent.

The only fix is to reload your avatar. I always save a copy of mine for when this happens. If you're feeling extra ambitious, you could just use it as a notice of when to get yourself a new one. ;)

One other note... if you notice everyone's avatar is garbled but yours seems to have survived, try clearing your cache. A lot of times, since you see a lot of your own posts, it is simply cached on your computer in its old "good" form.

Bilateralrope
27-10-2005, 01:26
I have been on several forums.

Ones running phpbb never had this problem. I have been a member of another large forum also running vBulletin for longer than Ive been here. Its also never had this problem. Since its running version 3.5.0, and your running 3.0.7 I'm guessing all the avatar problems are because your version is out of date.

When are you planning to upgrade the forum software to be up to date with bug and security fixes ?

snowkissed
27-10-2005, 01:36
Have a look at some of the other threads in this forum :happy05: The issue isn't what software they're using for the forums - it's rather the fact that the information on the servers gets shifted around every so often and sometimes the images get screwed up. This is because of the way they are stored - the format in which an image is stored in a database makes it a little susceptible to problems like garbling of the image and such.

calderstrake
27-10-2005, 01:38
Ones running phpbb never had this problem. I have been a member of another large forum also running vBulletin for longer than Ive been here. Its also never had this problem. Since its running version 3.5.0, and your running 3.0.7 I'm guessing all the avatar problems are because your version is out of date.I agree with your position. All of the details regarding the servers and their configurations are not information that is released to all of the staff and most certainly not the general userbase. That being said, I honestly don't have an answer to the problem that you bring up. Fallen should be on soon, so maybe he can shed some light on the situation.

Mgzkun
30-10-2005, 02:22
this is what I got to reupload my avatar

There has been an error in the upload. Please ensure that the file has been correctly selected and that the upload has taken place successfully.

the original name is elf_silver_ranger.gif
change to SR.gif, still can't upload
convert GIF -> JPG -> SR.JPG still can't upload
link to the img - http://www.l2orphus.com/images/classes/elf_silver_ranger.gif , still that fricking message above

What do I do now :/

I had a chance to admin/moderator some forums that use vBB(although not this BIG) but this is the first site that i've seen with this annoying problem :/

Have a look at some of the other threads in this forum The issue isn't what software they're using for the forums - it's rather the fact that the information on the servers gets shifted around every so often and sometimes the images get screwed up. This is because of the way they are stored - the format in which an image is stored in a database makes it a little susceptible to problems like garbling of the image and such.

but other big vBB site that i'm a member (as big as gwo) they never have this problem :/..at first i think my trustworthy firefox is the cause lol :/

snowkissed
30-10-2005, 02:04
Right, but my point is that it's not the software. It's the servers. It doesn't matter what forum software is being used, it's the fact that the information on the servers is being moved. IE: It's a hardware issue, not a software issue :happy05:

Tinarto
30-10-2005, 03:01
I can't reupload mine either (from local machine). Says there was an error during upload.
I tried clearing it first, too.