PDA

View Full Version : Annoying popups....

Djinn Effer
13-11-2005, 20:35
Fire Emblem
Path of Radiance

I see that thing pop up every single time I load any page on these forums.. Covers the entire middle of my screen and it's starting to get very annoying...

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind adds - I know you guys have to pay your bills somehow... But come on, it pops up in the middle of our screen every single time we load a page, and stays there for like 20 seconds unless we close it at the top right.. very annoying to say the least. I just got done going through atleast 25 pages of 15k armors and that thing popped up every single time.

I guess this post is kind of asking the site admins to consider other forms of advertisement that don't hender people from actually seeing or doing things on the site. I mean, I could fix it really easily by just disabling flash when I want to come to this site but that's a chore to do for just one site. :/

TheDiceman
13-11-2005, 21:21
I have never actually gotten a popup on any of the forums in this community. What browser do you use? Perhaps you should switch to Firefox if you are not already using it since it tend to stop ALL popups.

13-11-2005, 22:09
the stupid "fire emblem" ad does indeed come up every single time a page loads. I'm using Firefox, but the ad will still comes up on my screen every once in a while. And yesterday I actually LEFT the forums in mid thread because some ad was having trouble loading and the rest of the page did nothing. I was just sitting there with a blank screen for 1-2 minutes waiting for my browser to load an ad (this happened several times, so I left).

I don't mind ads, just let me look at what I came here for.

RxJoKeR
13-11-2005, 22:27
I get the pop ups too but GWonline has to make money to keep providing us this wonderful site (even though the mods can be overly quick to nerf a post they don't like).

So the pop ups dont bother me... the thing that is killing me is THESE FORUMS ARE SO SLOW!!!!!

I have 2 gaming computers one on a Ultra highspeed DSL and the other on an even faster cable modem and it STILL takes 1 minute to load forum pages.... What is up with that!!!!

TheSonofDarwin
13-11-2005, 22:31
If you become a pal you don't have to suffer through the ads ;)
I try to visit the forums during my breaks at school and I don't see how some of you do it. It can take minutes for the pages to load and when they do I have to compete with closing ads. It's definately worth becoming a Pal for! :)
However, I'd report that problematic ad to the admins here - I'm sure they'll take care of it.

Thul Rasha
13-11-2005, 23:00
Fire Emblem
Path of Radiance

I see that thing pop up every single time I load any page on these forums.. Covers the entire middle of my screen and it's starting to get very annoying...

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind adds - I know you guys have to pay your bills somehow... But come on, it pops up in the middle of our screen every single time we load a page, and stays there for like 20 seconds unless we close it at the top right.. very annoying to say the least. I just got done going through atleast 25 pages of 15k armors and that thing popped up every single time.

I guess this post is kind of asking the site admins to consider other forms of advertisement that don't hender people from actually seeing or doing things on the site. I mean, I could fix it really easily by just disabling flash when I want to come to this site but that's a chore to do for just one site. :/

I agree, I don't mind the advertisements at all, but these pop ups are very annoying.

speedy
14-11-2005, 00:08
GAHHH, glad to see i'm not the only one being absolutely driven insane by this pop up. It ranks up there with that god damned axel F Jamster one.

GWonline, find better bloody sponsors, i've literlary given up even using this site anymore because of this pop up.

JasonLa
15-11-2005, 05:43
If flash is off, not installed, or blocked is the site set to load alternate adds? or are they all flash add sources now?

speedy
15-11-2005, 06:11
Finally, they changed it.

Djinn Effer
15-11-2005, 09:53
Finally, they changed it.

Nope, I still get it. There's just other ads also now but that ad is definently still there.

TheSonofDarwin
15-11-2005, 15:51
Do keep in mind that blocking the ads of any type is against the policy you agreed to in order to participate in these forums, so saying that you do block them and more specifically how you do so may not be the best thing to do. If there is a problem ad either PM the admins or post in the appropriate part of the forum, "GWO Site and Forum Support" : http://forums.gwonline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=147
Quoting myself because it's one thing to break the rules without anyone knowing, and a completely different thing to break the rules, tell people that made the rules that you are breaking them, and telling others how to break the rules right infront of the rulemakers...

Just a reminder incase it was forgotten that we ALL agreed to this, else we wouldn't be posting:

Legal Small Print: You use GWOnline.Net and its affiliates in the full knowledge that advertising in the form of banner adverts, pop ups, interstitials and embedded adverts appear on all pages. You agree to not interfere with the display of these adverts through banner blocking software or browser features.

Fallen_62
15-11-2005, 16:39
Blocking our pop-ups is against our ToS, like Darwin said. If you post that you are blocking them, thats grounds for removal from teh forums. We are looking into the ad issue as we speak. Sorry for the inconvenience.

cajuin
16-11-2005, 01:33
Pop ups are terrible......NERF THE Pop Ups!

JasonLa
16-11-2005, 07:36
Fallen_62, I'm glad to hear you guys are looking into the adds. As I just love the site and would hate to see the adds that support the content cause too much issues with the site.

Gaendaal
16-11-2005, 09:41
Not to be contentious but can I ask a question? The ToA states "You agree to not interfere with the display of these adverts through banner blocking software or browser features."

What if you're using a text browser, one of the features of which is that it doesn't display images?

Fallen_62
16-11-2005, 15:13
What if you're using a text browser, one of the features of which is that it doesn't display images?

If you arent using an ad-blocker with that, then I dont see a problem

Elly
17-11-2005, 00:51
Our ad agency is under strict instructions 'no pop ups' we hate 'em as much as you. We do not have the pop up code on the forums. However sometimes a banner ad, a normal advert you see up top will have one attatched which launches itself somehow and it's those that we have to call up and cancel. They don't happen very often at all. That campaign should have ended by now and we'll call the agency and tell them one slipped through. Often we won't see them because they are targetted to display to US IPs only for example, so we do need a heads up.

Saying that though, that ad campaign nearly funded the entire 4th server we just added AND the tech set-up fees so on the one hand "icky icky" but on the other we have a faster network now. Stuck between a rock and a hard place you could say. So I do hope people appreciate how much money we kiss goodbye to each month by keeping this place pop up free. It does make funding the sites more of a challenge to say the least. The last campaign we turned down was Sony PSP - I asked Rush to not tell me how much that would have generated - what I don't know can't hurt me or keep me awake at night eh:)

nightrunner
17-11-2005, 04:15
TY TY Elly and Fallen and Rush and other GWO staff!

*Points to wallet* Looky! Not empty any more! Night shall become PAL soon! :D

JasonLa
17-11-2005, 05:56
I finally decided to upgade I guess you could call it to get the ability of a signature and the few other little things that come along with the package. I don't mind the adds it would appear all the ones I had issue with have changed to less of a burden on my system. I have yet to encounter a problematic add as of recently.

snowkissed
17-11-2005, 05:57
*Points to wallet* Looky! Not empty any more! Night shall become PAL soon! :D

Hurry up already! Kegs are waiting! :happy05: