PDA

View Full Version : Negative energy regen items in PvP

Vexed Arcanist
16-11-2005, 16:39
A few days ago I decided to try and make a competent Mind Wrack build for Comp Arena play. While going through the pvp generation I noticed I had quite a bit more energy before I had arrived at the equipment page. I knew one of the negative energy items was randomly preselected. Once I arrived at that page I went to change that item then I reflected on this decision....

I decided to try this Mind Wrack mesmer with both the +15/-1 Dom Cane and the +15/12/+30 health/-1 focus. This gave her a massive 79 energy. Just to be safe I loaded the standard items on a weapon switch.

I played her for quite a few matches and I must say that 79 energy was far, far superior to +4 energy regen. The only time I had an issue was the death toll (lava) map where matches go longest typically.

Anyone else use these type items on their mesmer? If so, what general builds?

tigercan
16-11-2005, 17:47
Depending on the build then + energy/- regen can be much better than - energy/+ regen.

I guess the main difference would be in the way you manage the energy.

For example, on my PvE necro I'll usually max out either curses or blood with the rest in Soul Reaping. Since SR gives the huge energy boost every time something dies I'm able to use the larger energy pool freely and cast a lot more than I would with the smaller energy pool.
If I have the lower energy/higher regen set my max is around 50 and the extra energy generated from soul reaping is wasted

I'd imagine that with a MindWrack mesmer if you're stealing energy via Energy Drain/Energy Tap then the same principle would apply.

Vexed Arcanist
16-11-2005, 18:19
Depending on the build then + energy/- regen can be much better than - energy/+ regen.

I guess the main difference would be in the way you manage the energy.

For example, on my PvE necro I'll usually max out either curses or blood with the rest in Soul Reaping. Since SR gives the huge energy boost every time something dies I'm able to use the larger energy pool freely and cast a lot more than I would with the smaller energy pool.
If I have the lower energy/higher regen set my max is around 50 and the extra energy generated from soul reaping is wasted

I'd imagine that with a MindWrack mesmer if you're stealing energy via Energy Drain/Energy Tap then the same principle would apply.

Actually the only energy gain I had was Drain Enchantment.

I agree on that Necro statement. I consider a PvE necro with high Soul Reaping a great candidate, especially if you play some wildly expensive energy build like (from another thread) Spiteful Spirit+Arcane Echo. In PvE I could see max curses and near max, heck or even max (double sup runes), Soul Reaping.

Intrinsity
17-11-2005, 07:58
I always pick two sets of weapons for my casters, and switch out when I really need that extra 15 energy or so. Especially on my monk when she uses Offering of Blood - sometimes you just need 5 energy to get your energy pool going ;) in which case OoB gives. I know people say they switch weapons when they know they're getting drained... but how do you deal with mind wrack damage?

Vexed Arcanist
17-11-2005, 15:29
I always pick two sets of weapons for my casters, and switch out when I really need that extra 15 energy or so. Especially on my monk when she uses Offering of Blood - sometimes you just need 5 energy to get your energy pool going ;) in which case OoB gives. I know people say they switch weapons when they know they're getting drained... but how do you deal with mind wrack damage?

Having a huge energy pool will do well vs. a mind wrack mesmer, it's why I try and avoid Eles when I play a MW mesmer, too much work involved in getting them down unless they are using ridiculous expensive spells like Meteor Shower.

I tried a Gale Ele the other day, 108 energy. I could virtually Gale all day long. Since Gale has exhaustion I figured might as well just pump out her energy level and to hell with energy regen.

Phaeax
17-11-2005, 15:48
I use both. When I need energy I use the wand and focus, and when I need regen I use a staff.

With most builds I start off with the staff and switch to the combo when I get low on energy. This allows you to regain a little more energy when you're not stressed on doing so. In the arenas, the need to switch back to the staff is pretty low, as matches generally don't last long enough for an extra 2 pips of regen to matter much.

Some builds I use require high energy to start or may be more succeptable to energy denial, and in those cases I start with the wand and focus. If they are ever reduced to zero or have a hard time using their energy management skills, I switch back to the staff to regen enough to use the necessary skills.

Icy Spicy
17-11-2005, 16:01
really depends on your build, when i play E/N, i sometimes go full necro, using ether prodigy for regen, i use two +15 -1 items, so i have 110ish energy and +8 regen pretty much all the time, exhustions is hardly noticeable when you have 110 energy...