PDA

View Full Version : Me/El build for Ettin farming

milias
18-11-2005, 15:45
Hi, here is a Me/El build (an Elementalist build really *sigh*) I am thinking of using for Ettin farming in Kryta.

Air: 12
Water: 12
Rest in fast-cast

Skills:

Armor of Frost
Air Attunement
Echo (E)
Lightning Touch
Windborne Speed (or Armor of Mist)
Rust
Arcane Echo
Glyph of Lesser Energy

First you will need Windborne Speed to run past the enemies starting from Beetletun. This should be easier now with the update, cos the enemies won't follow you forever. Use Air Attunement (or Armor of Frost if no fire damage expected) as a cover enchant in case the Tengu Wild strips your enchant.

Once you get to the Ettins, throw up Armor of Frost and Air Attunement, aggro, cast Rust, then cast Glyph of Lesser Energy, then Arcane Echo, then Lightning Touch for 50+34=84 25% AL penetrating damage. Hopefully the Ettins will be using Healing Sig by now. Now cast Echo, then Lightning Touch (Arcane Echo), and Lightning Touch again (Echo).

The first Lightning Touch deals 84 25% AL penetrating damage, the next two Lightning Touches deal 2*(50+34)=168 25% AL penetrating damage on -40 AL Ettins.

The Ettins can't run away cos they're using Healing Sig :-)

Total energy consumption: 5+10+5+5+(15-15)+15*3*0.7=56.5
Total combat time (after aggro): 2+1+2+3/4+1+3/4+3/4=8.25

*Note: 8.25 does not include before and after cast times, neither does it include fast-cast bonuses.

With this much energy consumption, you will need to be wearing the Enchanter's set along with a +27 energy -1 regen focus.

Personally I haven't tested this out, but it seems it should work. Can anyone test it out and see if this works?

Any suggestons/thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,

Mil

tigercan
18-11-2005, 16:03
Seems fairly steep on the energy reqs with all those lightning touches.

Obviously you'll be using Glyph whenever it's charged, but at 15 energy a shot for your main attack (+another 15 for arcane echo) I don't see how you'll get more than 3, maybe 4 off before you're out of juice.

milias
18-11-2005, 16:07
Seems fairly steep on the energy reqs with all those lightning touches.

Obviously you'll be using Glyph whenever it's charged, but at 15 energy a shot for your main attack (+another 15 for arcane echo) I don't see how you'll get more than 3, maybe 4 off before you're out of juice.

Oops sorry, just edited the original post for energy calculations before I saw your post. Hopefully the Ettins will be dead after 3 Lightning Touches. I don't think this build will be able to squeeze out a 4th Lightning Touch in time.

Vexed Arcanist
18-11-2005, 16:16
Windborne Speed = *POOF* vs Tengu Wild. Shatter Enchantment.

bellissima
18-11-2005, 16:17
I actually have a W/E build that uses rust + lightning touch and it works very well vs ettins. I think you can probably kill them with just two touches of lightning touch (my war build has no echo so not certain) provided one touch is during a heal sig.

I suspect you could also do something similar vs minos/griffons using blurred vision instead of rust.

milias
18-11-2005, 16:20

That's why you need to use Air Attunement as a cover enchant as I pointed out in the original post.

milias
18-11-2005, 16:57
I suspect you could also do something similar vs minos/griffons using blurred vision instead of rust.

Yea, I think so too. But the thing is, they may run with the new update. Also, the recharge time for Blurred Vision is longer than its effective time. It also has a hefty 15 energy casting cost. I would still stick with Rust, as it only costs 5 energy and lasts longer (more than its recharge time), although I would probably bring some type of healing or evasion in this case, like Ether Feast with Inspiration, or Distortion with Illusion.

Sillywiz
18-11-2005, 22:04
Lightning touch is a skill not a spell.. therefore you can only echo it, not arcane echo it... otherwise nice ideas

Sillywiz

Vexed Arcanist
18-11-2005, 23:16
That's why you need to use Air Attunement as a cover enchant as I pointed out in the original post.

There are 2 sets of Tengu in that gully, between Conjure Phantasm, Shatter Enchantment and Cry of Frustration it will be hard getting through them with your enchantments intact. Good luck.

milias
18-11-2005, 23:27
Lightning touch is a skill not a spell.. therefore you can only echo it, not arcane echo it... otherwise nice ideas

Ah, good point! In that case, if two Lightning Touches don't kill the Ettins, replace Arcane Echo with Frozen Burst, that ought to finish them off. Still the same energy consumption.

There are 2 sets of Tengu in that gully, between Conjure Phantasm, Shatter Enchantment and Cry of Frustration it will be hard getting through them with your enchantments intact. Good luck.

There's no place in between where I can rest?

Meliadoul
19-11-2005, 01:29
Where exactly i can find those Ettins?

Sillywiz
19-11-2005, 09:39
There's no place in between where I can rest?

There are better ways....pm Reality Impaired or Constance Cutedeath......

Cymboric Treewalker
19-11-2005, 16:25

You don't run into Tengu wild.

Vexed Arcanist
19-11-2005, 17:28
You don't run into Tengu wild.

If you take the fastest route you do. Bergen Hot Springs as the start point. Now if you care to go out of your way, fine by me. I don't bother with the Me/El for the reason of it's weakness to the route that is most expeditious. When it comes to farming the faster you do it the better off you are.

Findariel
19-11-2005, 18:39
If you take the fastest route you do. Bergen Hot Springs as the start point. Now if you care to go out of your way, fine by me. I don't bother with the Me/El for the reason of it's weakness to the route that is most expeditious. When it comes to farming the faster you do it the better off you are.
The easiest way is from Beetletun, though.

1. The Mergoyles (mesmers) don't do anything; they merely cast Spirit Shackles on you and only if you attack they cast Mind Wreck.
Very educational though ;)
2. 2 sets of Tengu, 1 archer and 1 mesmer each.
3. Gypsie Ettins, 2 or 3 patrols.

Usually I only activate the running skill just before the 2nd group of Tengu to run past them and the Ettin patrols. By time it's wearing Off you're already out of sight (thus mind) and cast some healing .. or wait to regenerate (since mesmers and eles have crap healing anyway).

Vexed Arcanist
19-11-2005, 18:55
The easiest way is from Beetletun, though.

1. The Mergoyles (mesmers) don't do anything; they merely cast Spirit Shackles on you and only if you attack they cast Mind Wreck.
Very educational though ;)
2. 2 sets of Tengu, 1 archer and 1 mesmer each.
3. Gypsie Ettins, 2 or 3 patrols.

Usually I only activate the running skill just before the 2nd group of Tengu to run past them and the Ettin patrols. By time it's wearing Off you're already out of sight (thus mind) and cast some healing .. or wait to regenerate (since mesmers and eles have crap healing anyway).

Actually this is what I meant, Beetletun. The 2 sets of Tengu include a Wild each, the other poster said there were no Wild. My error on start town names.

Findariel
19-11-2005, 19:18
Actually this is what I meant, Beetletun. The 2 sets of Tengu include a Wild each, the other poster said there were no Wild. My error on start town names.
I never tried to run past using enchantments (I use a plain W/R which uses running stances) but the bestaries say that Caromi Wild only use Conjure and Cry of Frustration.
So the skillsets for them are changed?

Vexed Arcanist
19-11-2005, 19:40
I never tried to run past using enchantments (I use a plain W/R which uses running stances) but the bestaries say that Caromi Wild only use Conjure and Cry of Frustration.
So the skillsets for them are changed?

They use Shatter Enchantment, I don't look at out of game material much. You can even hear the sound effect of Shatter Enchantment when they cast it. It also deals damage. I would use cover enchantments like Zealot's Fire to cover Breeze and such (a monk build I used for ettins in the past).

moenbase
19-11-2005, 20:49
You can actually outrun the Tengu with Armor Of Mist covered with another enchantment.

But concerns me is the hits you take from 3 - 4 Ettins at the same time.
Mesmers don't have much health and energy. So I don't think it would be possible with this build.
I know it takes some time with my Ele/Me to make the run, not much of energy regain also.

Vexed Arcanist
20-11-2005, 00:29
You can actually outrun the Tengu with Armor Of Mist covered with another enchantment.

But concerns me is the hits you take from 3 - 4 Ettins at the same time.
Mesmers don't have much health and energy. So I don't think it would be possible with this build.
I know it takes some time with my Ele/Me to make the run, not much of energy regain also.

All professions have the same health, you mean Armor.

IMMORTAlMITCH
21-11-2005, 20:17

Sillywiz

If this is true I'm gonna give it a shot on my ranger! (expertise lowering energy cost ftw!)

Hegemon
24-11-2005, 09:24
Now all it needs is a 2 second recharge buff from Anet.

Augustus Del Szay
24-11-2005, 09:52
Hi, here is a Me/El build (an Elementalist build really *sigh*) I am thinking of using for Ettin farming in Kryta.

Air: 12
Water: 12
Rest in fast-cast

Skills:

Armor of Frost
Air Attunement
Echo (E)
Lightning Touch
Windborne Speed (or Armor of Mist)
Rust
Arcane Echo
Glyph of Lesser Energy

First you will need Windborne Speed to run past the enemies starting from Beetletun. This should be easier now with the update, cos the enemies won't follow you forever. Use Air Attunement (or Armor of Frost if no fire damage expected) as a cover enchant in case the Tengu Wild strips your enchant.

Once you get to the Ettins, throw up Armor of Frost and Air Attunement, aggro, cast Rust, then cast Glyph of Lesser Energy, then Arcane Echo, then Lightning Touch for 50+34=84 25% AL penetrating damage. Hopefully the Ettins will be using Healing Sig by now. Now cast Echo, then Lightning Touch (Arcane Echo), and Lightning Touch again (Echo).

The first Lightning Touch deals 84 25% AL penetrating damage, the next two Lightning Touches deal 2*(50+34)=168 25% AL penetrating damage on -40 AL Ettins.

The Ettins can't run away cos they're using Healing Sig :-)

Total energy consumption: 5+10+5+5+(15-15)+15*3*0.7=56.5
Total combat time (after aggro): 2+1+2+3/4+1+3/4+3/4=8.25

*Note: 8.25 does not include before and after cast times, neither does it include fast-cast bonuses.

With this much energy consumption, you will need to be wearing the Enchanter's set along with a +27 energy -1 regen focus.

Personally I haven't tested this out, but it seems it should work. Can anyone test it out and see if this works?

Any suggestons/thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,

Mil

When u say Kryta, where is it actually that you mean?

Augustus Del Szay
24-11-2005, 09:55
If this is true I'm gonna give it a shot on my ranger! (expertise lowering energy cost ftw!)

If i've played Guild Wars long enough.. it's Elementalist the best for "energy skills"... since they've got Energy Storage or whatever it's called... and they've got Glyph of Lesser Energy... I can't remember expertise lowring energy cost.. but.. I don't play so much on ranger so I might be wrong..

//Del Szay

Findariel
24-11-2005, 11:30
If i've played Guild Wars long enough.. it's Elementalist the best for "energy skills"... since they've got Energy Storage or whatever it's called... and they've got Glyph of Lesser Energy... I can't remember expertise lowring energy cost.. but.. I don't play so much on ranger so I might be wrong..
//Del Szay
Think so ;)

Expertise works on: "skill", "attack skill", "glyph", "preparation", "nature ritual", "shout", "stance" and "trap".
On average, it reduces the cost with about 40%.
Also notice that rangers don't have glyphs.

Btw: anyone already tried this Me/E build? I hope I can give it a try tonight. I won't even try the OP's build; if ettins can kill a W/R with platemail (85+10) if she doesn't heal in between, they can also kill a mesmer with (60+40) armour. Guess I go for a tanking earth build (about 200 armour) or physical resistance and ether feast.

Physical R. costs 5 more (10 vs 5) than armour of frost but you can keep it up all the time (78 vs 29 secs), and recharges faster (20 vs 45 secs)

If Tengu Wilds indeeed shatter enchantments, running could be a problem, since Illusion of Haste is - like Windborne Speed - an enchantment.

Korrigan
24-11-2005, 13:29
I gave up trying to get past the Tengu a long time ago because it was so frustrating. I leave from the Gates of Kryta now. I really doesn't take that much longer and Mergoyles are easy to kill.

Augustus Del Szay
24-11-2005, 20:43
Think so ;)

Expertise works on: "skill", "attack skill", "glyph", "preparation", "nature ritual", "shout", "stance" and "trap".

Btw: anyone already tried this Me/E build? I hope I can give it a try tonight. I won't even try the OP's build; if ettins can kill a W/R with platemail (85+10) if she doesn't heal in between, they can also kill a mesmer with (60+40) armour. Guess I go for a tanking earth build (about 200 armour) or physical resistance and ether feast.

Physical R. costs 5 more (10 vs 5) than armour of frost but you can keep it up all the time (78 vs 29 secs), and recharges faster (20 vs 45 secs)

If Tengu Wilds indeeed shatter enchantments, running could be a problem, since Illusion of Haste is - like Windborne Speed - an enchantment.

If you looked at the beginnign of the post, you could see that maybe thé "second post after first post" said that he'd try it...

btw, if you make a ranger elementalist they have glyphs.. :P

Vexed Arcanist
25-11-2005, 09:36
Think so ;)

What more can I say? I have done this run with all manner of builds and the Tengu Wild shatter enchantments. There is NO question here. Just tonight I was trying with a Me/W and did not have sprint unlocked for her. I was forced to use Illusion of Haste, it was shattered. I even covered it once with IW, it was shattered. There isn't any question here, wherever you get your info is just incorrect.

IMMORTAlMITCH
25-11-2005, 10:47
If you looked at the beginnign of the post, you could see that maybe thé "second post after first post" said that he'd try it...

which implies that expertise also lowers the cost of non ranger skills/attack skills/glyphs/stances and what not (basically anything that isnt a spell)

Findariel
25-11-2005, 10:54
Yes I know ;)

I especially mentioned it because the gwonline info site says "ranger skills" while they don't have glyphs, so I'm pretty sure the "ranger only" part is incorrect.

What more can I say? I have done this run with all manner of builds and the Tengu Wild shatter enchantments. There is NO question here. Just tonight I was trying with a Me/W and did not have sprint unlocked for her. I was forced to use Illusion of Haste, it was shattered. I even covered it once with IW, it was shattered. There isn't any question here, wherever you get your info is just incorrect.
I do believe you!

I'm just mentioning it because it's basically the one big problem I see for mesmer farming - getting to the settlement in one piece.
Any suggestions? Go Me/R IW with evasion stances or blinding and plague sending? It's getting rather complicated this way!! :surp:

etherasia
25-11-2005, 11:42
Yes I know ;)
I'm just mentioning it because it's basically the one big problem I see for mesmer farming - getting to the settlement in one piece.
Any suggestions? Go Me/R IW with evasion stances or blinding and plague sending? It's getting rather complicated this way!! :surp:

Evasion skills are suicide against Ettin's because they spam Irresistable Blow, you dont want to melee them, let alone knock youself down with evasion-skills. Taking some skills only to get there is a waste of skillslots when you could simply make a Me/W with just Sprint. It'll give you 8 seconds of uninterruptable, unshatterable running in an instant. 8 seconds of running is more then enough to outrun anything you meet in a Kryta-farm run.

Not dying of degeneration from Tengu's is the hardest problem when you start from Bergen Hot Springs. But with some careful positioning and well-timed Sprinting you shouldn't have a problem at all regarding degen, never had so with Mo/W (no need to heal on the way to Kryta)

The path is a lot easier if you run past the first group and go left immediatly and walk through the little valley with Bog skales, this way you only meet 1 group of Tengu's (instead of 3) Getting to Kryta takes some 20 seconds longer this way but getting there isnt much of a gamble.

Vexed Arcanist
25-11-2005, 18:42
Findariel, about IW...

I tried it with my R/Me and my Me/W. My R/Me lacked Physical Resistance (not unlocked). However my R/Me performed better than my Me/W (at staying alive). Since the R/Me will have high expertise they can use Throw Dirt which really helps. Without Physical Resistance I tried the R/Me as follows:

Tiger's Fury
Lightning Reflexes
Illusionary Weaponry
Throw Dirt
Illusion of Weakness (I hate it but I would rather not die, and what else to use?)
Storm Chaser
Troll Ungent

For an 8th skill I took Distortion. Yes, I know Irresistable Blow can not be evaded, I was trying to figure out what is the most useful vs. Ettins between LR, TF and Distortion. Obviously Physical Resistance is a better choice. I wonder how effective Primal Echoes would be at stopping the Irresistable/Healing Signet spam? Sympathetic Visage could be used which could reduce the Endure Pain and Irresistable usage, along with Primal Echoes you may shut them down.

Tiger's Fury
IW
Symp Visage
Throw Dirt
Physical Resistance
Primal Echos
Storm Chaser
Troll Ungent

If you have a ranger you could give that a try.

Augustus Del Szay
25-11-2005, 21:35
[QUOTE=Findariel]Yes I know ;)

I especially mentioned it because the gwonline info site says "ranger skills" while they don't have glyphs, so I'm pretty sure the "ranger only" part is incorrect. QUOTE]

Aha... I see... but i never check that link so I couldn't know. And i don't like rangers so I totally skip that part...

Findariel
26-11-2005, 14:24
Thanks Vexed arcanist but I want a mesmer build, since there was none on the list yet (everything except).
Well I found a way to farm ettins AND get by the 1st part .. but it isn't easy.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/Findariel/ettin.jpg

Before getting to the tengu part, cast some parasitic bonds here and there, and hex breaker before going in. I attack 1st tengu with parasitic too and then run past. During the run, the bonds will end, replenishing your health. Physical resistance for the bow and ettin attacks.

Farming the ettins isn't hard, a lot faster than with my warrior actually. The Spitefuls and Empathies together do about 75 damage for each of their attacks if two ettins and about 100 if there are three, parasitics and ether feast easily keep you from dying.

Curses, inspiration and domination all at 11, rest in fc.

NB Forget it, after a few times I still failed more often than I survived the journey to the settlement >.<

bellissima
26-11-2005, 16:07
Before getting to the tengu part, cast some parasitic bonds here and there, and hex breaker before going in. I attack 1st tengu with parasitic too and then run past. During the run, the bonds will end, replenishing your health. Physical resistance for the bow and ettin attacks.

NB Forget it, after a few times I still failed more often than I survived the journey to the settlement >.<

No no no! The running there is the EASY part. You are totally a masochist if you run through the tengu. :winking47

I always go through the swamp no matter what profession I'm using. :idea:
The bog skale have no enchant removal so you can use your speed boost of choice. I tested it a couple times with a pure mesmer set-up. I put on Illusion of weakness, waited for bar to fill up and then ran using illusion of haste. In 100% of my test runs, Illusion of weakness wasn't even needed.

I then used Ignorance, Ineptitude, Clumsiness, physical resistance, energy tap and CP to kill some ettins. It wasn't super fast but it worked just fine so PURE mesmer build is certainly possible. (I'm sure one can improve the above to make it faster. I only spent a few mins on the build)

Here's the map of the route.
http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/8677/ettinroute0ri.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Findariel
26-11-2005, 18:22
No no no! The running there is the EASY part. You are totally a masochist if you run through the tengu. :winking47

Thanks so much Bella, I'll try the other route next try.
I only thought that the route from Beetletun was the easiest. The route as you have described it sounds a lot less painful!

Thanks again !! :happy05:

milias
26-11-2005, 18:32
How do you stop the Ettins from using Healing Sig, since they use it so often? Mesmer interrupts take forever to recharge. Or do you simply power thru them?

Findariel
26-11-2005, 18:36
How do you stop the Ettins from using Healing Sig, since they use it so often? Mesmer interrupts take forever to recharge. Or do you simply power thru them?
Depends. In a full mesmer build, CoF, Ignorance or Distortion may help (even Panic may counter it), in a E/N build (as I posted) they die fast enough not to have to calculate them into your setup.

The Me/E setups may use Rust.

Vexed Arcanist
26-11-2005, 19:31
Depends. In a full mesmer build, CoF, Ignorance or Distortion may help (even Panic may counter it), in a E/N build (as I posted) they die fast enough not to have to calculate them into your setup.

The Me/E setups may use Rust.

There is also Leech Signet.

My best IW build that never died was, unfortunately, a W/Me. She killed no better than if I ran her without IW and basic Axe attacks along with Phys Resist and Ether Feast (pretty similar to the original post by Massacre). She also suffered delays in IW due to energy constraints, obviously.

I found Sympathetic Visage very useful with the W/Me, but it's cost was so burdensome she killed as fast without it.

Cymboric Treewalker
28-11-2005, 19:57
Yes I know ;)

I especially mentioned it because the gwonline info site says "ranger skills" while they don't have glyphs, so I'm pretty sure the "ranger only" part is incorrect.

Its not ranger only, but I am not sure if Glyphs count. I have a ranger Mesmer and the cost of my mesmer stances is reduced from what I can tell... wish that they updated the cost in the description so I would know for sure...

Cymboric Treewalker
28-11-2005, 20:04

Diversion?

Tsume
28-11-2005, 22:43
Its not ranger only, but I am not sure if Glyphs count. I have a ranger Mesmer and the cost of my mesmer stances is reduced from what I can tell... wish that they updated the cost in the description so I would know for sure...

IF your talking about the effects of Expertise, it effects any non-spell skill. I cannot remember if Glyphs are currently considered 'spells' or 'non-spells', so I cant verify off the top of my head whether or not they are reduced.

Expertise was in the past described as ranger only, though I'm not sure if that was ever the true effect of the attribute. It may have allways been any non spell skill. It's really hard to keep track of such things since so many unknown and untold changes go on during updates...unkown, untold, perhaps even un-intended like the surge of bugs we see every now and then.

IMMORTAlMITCH
30-11-2005, 13:22
Glyphs aren't spells, and thus should be reduced by expertise (funny how expertise gets discussed in the mesmer forum btw :rolleyes: )

milias
30-11-2005, 16:59
Yes, rangers and mesmers are mortal enemies. Funny I have both a ranger and a mesmer char...I'd like to see those two girls going down and dirty...in 15k druid's and enchanter's...or without...

upier
16-01-2006, 16:55
just saw that bella posted something similar - well this is what ive been using since im not a fan of using skills of secondary classes (mesmer uber alles ;)

most fun for pure mesmer is illusion only - going from la or d'alessio

ilu - 16
the rest in fc - of you could put some into inspiration and fill some slots with energy gaining skills

Illusion of Weakness
Clumsiness
Conjure Phantasm
Distortion
Illusion of Haste
Ineptitude
Phantom Pain

takes a bit longer - more than 2 at once is a bit harder - but if things get too easy i get bored (since farming is boring as it is - no alesia to tank, no pugs to draw penises on he map ;))- if you feel overwhelmed - haste away

boxterduke
16-01-2006, 17:14
- no alesia to tank, no pugs to draw penises on he map ;))- if you feel overwhelmed - haste away
That is so true, lol so true:grin:

Blomman
17-01-2006, 16:37
why do u kill ettins ? i dont get it... why???

Findariel
17-01-2006, 17:07
why do u kill ettins ? i dont get it... why???
Because they're mean and lurk around Ascalon Settlement!! :angry:

Camaris Spectre
17-01-2006, 21:43

*snarfs coffee and falls out of chair*

Fafner
18-01-2006, 01:05

The guy with coffee out his nose must know this...before I read the forums, I killed Ettins for this very reason (on my way to get the skills, I figured why not help a brother out). Then, one time (4th character I think) I got two gold runes of that first group of 4 by the settlement, you know the rest...:afro:

Pox Rox
18-01-2006, 03:20
*hands Camaris Spectre and napkin*
the answer is runes

Ju Smurph
18-01-2006, 06:10
Aracane echo the echo... 2 echos

milias
18-01-2006, 09:21
Aracane echo the echo... 2 echos

Hmm, don't you mean Echo the Arcane Echo? Cos Arcane Echo can only echo spells, whereas Echo and echo any skill.

Argh...too many echos...and I do not like echoing myself...

Tsume
18-01-2006, 09:58
Hmm, don't you mean Echo the Arcane Echo? Cos Arcane Echo can only echo spells, whereas Echo and echo any skill.

Argh...too many echos...and I do not like echoing myself...

Pretty sure he meant Arcane Echo on Echo. If you Echoed Arcane Echo, that would effectively be spending 5 energy to turn a 5 energy skill into a 15 energy skill that only works on spells. Whereas, if you use 15 to turn Arcane Echo into Echo, you then have two 5 energy spells that work on any skills. So 20 energy to activate dual Echos, of which the first one is now active and you should use a skill on...and the second is there for 20 seconds.

If you Echoed the Arcane Echo you would be wasting a lot of energy compared to the alternative, and limit the skill to a spell only.

Saikyo
31-01-2006, 12:41
Been lurking for a while, but this thread caught my eye.

I've actually developed a pure mesmer farming build for my Me/Mo in the last few weeks after being convinced to try farming by a friend of mine.

It took a bunch of deaths, but here is what I came up with:

First the best route I found was this one.Map (http://img485.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mesmerroute8ic.jpg)
Enemies on this route are skeletons, ghouls, bog scales and ettins. NO TENGU. Distortion avoids the skeleton archers, Illusion of Haste avoids everything else. Just be careful when you get Soul Barbs on you.

The attirbute points are
12 dom, 12 illusion, at least 10 or 11 insp and the rest in FC (should be 7 or so).

I use one major rune of dom and the rest are minor runes.

Skills:
Empathy = The only damage source, 26 damage per attack does the job
Ignorance = Anti-heal sig
Signet of Midnight [E] = Anti-damage
Epidemic = Spreads blindness
Distortion = Irresistable Blow be darned take it anyways!
Spirit of Failure = Infinite energy from blind ettins YAY! (Insp needs to be high enough for +4 energy per miss)
Illusion of Haste = For running to the ettins
Ether Feast = For healing

I think the build should be pretty obvious, but I'll explain the order of spells that I have found to work the best.

Any number of ettins can be taken out with this, but 2-3 is a safe number, 4-5 is risky but also doable if you can position yourself properly for the first few seconds of battle.

First cast SoF on the first ettin and start backing off as he runs to you. Don't immediately cast SoM until all the other ettins in the same mob surround you. Use Distortion to reduce the damage until they are in epidemic range. Irresistable Blow will NOT knock you over if you evade it and it is a safe way to avoid the normal attacks in the meantime.

After you are surrounded cast SoM -> Epidemic to blind them all. By now SoF should be recharged so cast that on any ettin who does not have it. (It lasts for 30 seconds so you should have it on up to 3 ettins at any one time. Just cast it every time it recharges unless there are no more ettins that don't have it.)

Next cast Empathy + Ignorance on the first ettin. (You can actually cast empathy as you are gathering them to get some extra damage in if you think you can.) Then when they recharge do it again. The ettin will die from this 99% of the time. To be certain they die, wait a few seconds after the recharge before recasting it. They both should last 18 seconds so you've got some leeway.

The first ettin won't die before empathy + ignorance recharge so switch to the next ettin. Repeat until they are all dead.

During all this do the following:
1. Use SoM -> Epidemic EVERY time it recharges, they both have 15 second recharges so it shouldn't be a problem comboing them every time.
2. Ether Feast to heal the damage done by the occasional Irresistable that slips through your guard.
3. Distortion only if you are getting hit by too many non-Irresistable attacks
4. Keep recasting Spirit of Failure after they start to wear off.
5. Proper targeting is key, focus your hexes on the ones who's endure pain is not about to wear off.

It sounds complicated, but after you get used to it it feels really boring and repetative. It does however work like a charm. The ettins will never be able to kill you and you always have the option of running away with Illusion of Haste.

zoo
21-02-2006, 15:53
Skills:
Empathy = The only damage source, 26 damage per attack does the job
Ignorance = Anti-heal sig
Signet of Midnight [E] = Anti-damage
Epidemic = Spreads blindness
Distortion = Irresistable Blow be darned take it anyways!
Spirit of Failure = Infinite energy from blind ettins YAY! (Insp needs to be high enough for +4 energy per miss)
Illusion of Haste = For running to the ettins
Ether Feast = For healing

I use a build with the same main combo for farming minotaurs and griffons and devourers outside augury. Its bulletproof and boring.

My build with 2 changes (Me/Mo):
Empathy + Spirit of failure + SoM + Epidemic - main combo
Ether feast + mending + energy tap for healing and backup energy
Wastrels worry the boss killer :rolleyes:

Fafner
20-04-2006, 23:37
Possibly this build is in the e/me category, but it works nicely and is just a variation of the OP's. However, fire magic, is the killer.

Rust
Flame Burst
--Fireball or Rods Invoc or other fast AoE--
Phys. Resist
Ether Feast
Armour of Mist
Fire Attune
Elemental Attune [E]

3 FC
12 Insp
12 Fire
10 water

I use a 20% longer water staff, with a +60 health on switch (not really needed, as running is an option).

Hit your stance, cast attunes, agro, then get mist up and blast away, feasting every time its up. They die pretty quick, faster than with my warrior.

Enjoy (I run from Bergen, no nasty tengu that way)

MercenaryKnight
21-04-2006, 05:04
I was wondering, I know most aoe spells make enemies flee like meteorshower and stuff. But, would the fire aoe skills be fast and powerful enough to pretty much kill say the one group of 2-3 ettins all at once? Or would you have to use some extra attacks on the ones left.