PDA

View Full Version : texting abbreviations

TheDreamer
20-11-2005, 16:04
In the Elementalist's forum, I came across an abbreviation I didn't understand so someone politely answered my question.

One idea I have is for GWonline.net to provide a listing of the abbreviations, texting, and similar type stuff so people can get a clue about the more commonly used terms. Not everybody knows this stuff & it would provide a really good way for new MMORPG players (like me) to figure out what they mean in forums, and sometimes ingame also.

Fallen_62
20-11-2005, 17:01
In the Elementalist's forum, I came across an abbreviation I didn't understand so someone politely answered my question.

One idea I have is for GWonline.net to provide a listing of the abbreviations, texting, and similar type stuff so people can get a clue about the more commonly used terms. Not everybody knows this stuff & it would provide a really good way for new MMORPG players (like me) to figure out what they mean in forums, and sometimes ingame also.

I think there was a thread on that a while ago. But do you think that a list like that would be better on GWO itself, or here in the forums (like a sticky in the Community Lounge or Discussion forum(s))?

Bilateralrope
20-11-2005, 20:28
I'd prefer if GWonline simply does what every other forum I've visited does, and ban the use of all abbreviations, since there is no reason to use them here apart from the poster being lazy.

Fallen_62
20-11-2005, 21:31
I'd prefer if GWonline simply does what every other forum I've visited does, and ban the use of all abbreviations, since there is no reason to use them here apart from the poster being lazy.

I think the OP was talking about abbreviations like "BWEs, E34E, Mo, Me..." etc from in game, not things like "ur, r, u" etc.

Bilateralrope
20-11-2005, 23:41
I think the OP was talking about abbreviations like "BWEs, E34E, Mo, Me..." etc from in game, not things like "ur, r, u" etc.

As far as I'm concerned, they are the same thing

TheDreamer
21-11-2005, 19:51

I was talking about this. However, they could be combined into the same listing. Only I would like to see a coding (maybe in red) which ones like 'lmfao' and 'ic' are really texting, and which ones (maybe in green) (i.e. SF, OP (my last question was about this) or different skills like SoJ, etc) are game-related abbreviations.

If it was placed in the GWonline.net it would be available to all. But it may be that some people bypass the main page & only load the forums. So, that should be up to the mods where this would do the most good. I know that I don't always understand the lingo and I would find this listing a boon when you don't get what they are talking about

JasonLa
22-11-2005, 07:44
I think a sticky would be best. Users could add to the list as needed. Having the list on the main site would probably put more work on the site devs and I know there is other info of more pressing need to add or update.

Fallen_62
22-11-2005, 15:49
I think a sticky would be best. Users could add to the list as needed. Having the list on the main site would probably put more work on the site devs and I know there is other info of more pressing need to add or update.

Im the site dev :p Either way you look at it, I will be doing the work :lol: Unless community members gathered the info...?

TheDreamer
22-11-2005, 20:15
ok - I could do that. Do you want just a screen shot of each thing offered?-which will make it about 4-5 screen shots total? Then I'm wondering if this info then could be either added to this thread or emailed to you? Or is there another way to get that info to you?

I would think you would probably need a description of approximately where on the map the screen shots were taken, and although this would be in writing, you would also be able to see the 'red dot line' of where I've been on the mini map. Does this cover all of what you would need?

Is there a difference in what is offered at each collector with each profession?

I was wondering if the gwonline forum offered some kind of reward would help with getting more of this info in from forum members?

I have 2 screenshots of the requirements for Warrior Armor at the FoW Forgemaster if that would be helpful to you.

Fallen_62
22-11-2005, 21:56
We have most of the data, IIRC, but I would have to look for sure. Give me a day or two to scrounge it up :happy34:

edit: Woah, I think we got on the wrong subject here or something... Im confused here, now :p I was talking about people gathering a list of abbreviations for the game, not about the collectors. We have some of that info, but it take s a while to get. We are working on that, though.

JasonLa
23-11-2005, 05:00
I think TheDreamer meant to make this a reply to this thread?

http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?p=3808409#post3808409

And accidentally replied to this thread which is about abreviations and acronyms. As mentioned before there is a thread with many of them in it perhaps we can organize the info and make it a sticky? unless the thread is already decenty organised.

TheDreamer
23-11-2005, 19:46
well, I did have 2 posts in 2 different areas. But I thought that was ok since they were about 2 different things, although it's beginning to be a little confusing. Is there only one place to place suggestions & questions? That would make sense.

One is about more collectors info (and maps for that would be nice but not required). And this one was supposed to be about something different = a suggestion for a "definitions & abbreviations" listing.

Organization is always a good thing!

Fallen_62
23-11-2005, 19:50
The thread Jason linked to was about updating the collector info on our site. This thread was about gathering a list of abbreviations. Should prolly try and keep the same things together in the same thread ;)

TheDreamer
24-11-2005, 01:40
I will do that.