PDA

View Full Version : Critical Hits and the Assassin - a guide

Ubermancer
12-01-2006, 19:40
Since I see so many people talking about Critical Hits, how they work, and often times adamantly spewing out false information. Let me try to clear this up.

Critical hits are interesting in how they operate in the game.

Firstly critical hits always deal the exact same damage - no exceptions. Because critical hits always deal the same damage it means the game is using a single value from the weapon for the base damage, and the value it uses is the max damage listed on a weapon.

A critical hit grants approximately a 41.42% damage increase (otherwise identical to the square root of 2). What isn't fully obvious is that this is the equivalent of removing 20AL from the target. So in order to emulate a critical hit in our equation, we simply add -20 to the General Shift Modifier in our calculations.

The exact chance of getting a critical hit is still unknown as it is based both on your weapon attribute and the level difference between you and your target. I have determined an equation that gives you a small indication on how often you will cause a critical hit. It is by no means 100% accurate and should only be used as a rough guide:

Critical hit chance = (1+[1.25*Attribute])*2^( [CLVL - TLVL]/5)

Where, Attribute = your weapon attribute level
CLVL = your character level
TLVL = target's level

Basically you will have approximately a 16% chance to cause a critical hit when you have a level 12 attribute. For every 5 levels above your target your critical hit chance will double, and for every 5 levels below your target your chance will half.

Since many people seem to have an aversion to math, here is a bit of quick reference on how often you Crit against a stationary target.

Lvl 20 Char, 7 Weapon vs lvl 20 Foe = 9.75%
Lvl 20 Char, 7 Weapon vs lvl 24 Foe = ~5.6%
Lvl 20 Char, 7 Weapon vs lvl 28 Foe = ~3.22%

Lvl 20 Char, 8 Weapon vs lvl 20 Foe = 11%
Lvl 20 Char, 8 Weapon vs lvl 24 Foe = ~6.32%
Lvl 20 Char, 8 Weapon vs lvl 28 Foe = ~3.63%

Lvl 20 Char, 9 Weapon vs lvl 20 Foe = 12.25%
Lvl 20 Char, 9 Weapon vs lvl 24 Foe = ~7.04%
Lvl 20 Char, 9 Weapon vs lvl 28 Foe = ~4.04%

Lvl 20 Char, 10 Weapon vs lvl 20 Foe = 13.5%
Lvl 20 Char, 10 Weapon vs lvl 24 Foe = ~7.75%
Lvl 20 Char, 10 Weapon vs lvl 28 Foe = ~4.45%

Lvl 20 Char, 11 Weapon vs lvl 20 Foe = 14.75%
Lvl 20 Char, 11 Weapon vs lvl 24 Foe = ~8.47%
Lvl 20 Char, 11 Weapon vs lvl 28 Foe = ~4.87%

Lvl 20 Char, 12 Weapon vs lvl 20 Foe = 16%
Lvl 20 Char, 12 Weapon vs lvl 24 Foe = ~9.19%
Lvl 20 Char, 12 Weapon vs lvl 28 Foe = ~5.28%

Lvl 20 Char, 13 Weapon vs lvl 20 Foe = 17.25%
Lvl 20 Char, 13 Weapon vs lvl 24 Foe = ~9.91%
Lvl 20 Char, 13 Weapon vs lvl 28 Foe = ~5.69%

Lvl 20 Char, 14 Weapon vs lvl 20 Foe = 18.5%
Lvl 20 Char, 14 Weapon vs lvl 24 Foe = ~10.63%
Lvl 20 Char, 14 Weapon vs lvl 28 Foe = ~6.10%

Lvl 20 Char, 15 Weapon vs lvl 20 Foe = 19.75%
Lvl 20 Char, 15 Weapon vs lvl 24 Foe = ~11.34%
Lvl 20 Char, 15 Weapon vs lvl 28 Foe = ~6.52%

Lvl 20 Char, 16 Weapon vs lvl 20 Foe = 21%
Lvl 20 Char, 16 Weapon vs lvl 24 Foe = ~12.06%
Lvl 20 Char, 16 Weapon vs lvl 28 Foe = ~6.93%

(if you want to know how often you crit against an Aatxe, it is simply half as often as a level 24 char)

Now, from what we know about the Assassin so far, these are the relevant bits of info.

Critical Strikes (Primary Attribute): Increases the chance of scoring critical hits and awards the assassin with energy upon a successful crit.

Dagger Mastery: Powerful dual-dagger strikes that combo for big damage.

Critical Eye: Increases your chances of scoring a critical hit.

Presumably Critical Eye is either Dagger Mastery linked, or more likely, Critical Strikes. Also, presumably Dagger Mastery increases your base Crit chance, while Critical Strikes enhances that - for an even higher crit chance then what Warriors can get currently. It may be possible to, say, make an A/W who uses a Hammer in order to get frequent Crits with it. Almost no specifics are known on stats, so I will refrain from commenting or speculating further until I have more information.

Currently there are two skills which deal with Crits, and it seems likely they might be nerfed.

For 8...18 (21) seconds, you cannot be knocked down and you do not suffer extra damage from a critical attack. (Tactics Linked, Stance, 5 Energy, 30 Recharge)

Lose all Adrenaline. If it hits, this attack will be a critical hit. If Wild Blow hits, any "Stance" being used by your target ends. This attack cannot be "Blocked" or "Evaded" (Warrior Unlinked, Melee Attack, 5 Energy, 5 Recharge)

It is not immediatly clear if Balanced Stance makes it so that you cannot be Critted against, or if some aspect of how a Crit is handled is changed.

[Please notice, it may be that no single number I put in my Crit chance tables are accurate, but it is likely they are close to accurate.]

damkel
12-01-2006, 19:57
Thanks Uber, and of course Son of Rah.

I think with Balanced stance you do not suffer extra damage from a critical hit, but the critical hit has still occured, thus the assassin attacking you will still gain energy after that crit.

Balanced Stance - (Stance) For 8..18 [21] seconds, you cannot be knocked down and you do not suffer extra damage from a Critical Hit.

P.S. thanks for that quick excel number crunching.

Ubermancer
12-01-2006, 20:17
The skill description on many skills is screwy. I would wait until the first beta before saying with such certainty the mechanics of these skills.

Kjentei
13-01-2006, 08:21
Wild Blow (a critical hit inflicting warrior skill)would be great for an A/W.

TheDuaLiNiTy
13-01-2006, 11:25
yea i was thinking the same, willdblow will be actually usefull then :P (and should be nerfed...)

Tanamoril
13-01-2006, 16:23
The primary attribute+wild blow has already been said some time ago in the I told you so thread.

Posted by me ofcourse.

Ubermancer
13-01-2006, 17:10
P.S. thanks for that quick excel number crunching.

Right... Excel :rolleyes: thats what it was.

Patccmoi
13-01-2006, 21:32
Considering we don't know how much energy you actually gain by critical (my guess being a relatively meager amount, something like 1..4 depending of your points in CS, otherwise Assassins would have ridiculous energy management rivalizing Necros in 8v8 and could spam spells like crazy), it's kinda hard to say Wild Blow will need tweaking.

If Wild Blow does a Critical and gives you back 4 Energy, well it cost you 1 Energy to use and it did a Critical (which you have maybe what, 33% chances of doing by yourself?). So it becomes more or less a low energy cost stance breaker... well guess what it already is for R/W that go melee, with expertise you can easily have Wild Blow costing 2-3E.

As for Balanced Stance... won't it just give a better use to this stance? It will still actually be breakable by Wild Blow. And it will counter assassin primary attribute on them, sure, but is that any worse than how skills like Sympatetic Visage exist? Lasts same time as the stance, and totally destroy any warrior attempting to take down the target. Easier to remove because it's an enchantment, but still as i said nothing prevents A/W to bring Wild Blow to break stances.

Until we actually have numbers, you can't really say 'this + that will be broken'. ANet proved very good in general to keep the game balanced. Sure there was some things they didn't expect (like spirit spam) and few skills that needed tweaking, but considering there's around 450 skills in the game currently that can all potentially be mixed together, it's pretty impressive that there isn't more broken combos.

And things like Critical Strike + Wild Blow are so obvious combos that i very strongly doubt they didn't think about them (if it's a problem at all, which i don't think it'll be).

Longasc
13-01-2006, 21:45
If they did not get the idea of using them together, they should fire the Alpha Testers.

It seems to be evident that the Assasin is going to blow. :P

Roland Aegisguard
15-01-2006, 21:05
Wild Blow is already ridiculously powerful in the correct configuration.

Eg.

Hammer Warrior + Judges Insight + Wild Blow == Ownage

19-35 Hammer + 15% Damage > 50% HP + 20% Customization + 20% Judges Insight AP + Wild Blow Crit that cannot be blocked or evaded (LOL).

This is extremely deadly when used with other hammer combos, most of which already take away all your adrenaline for the knockdown. Given stonefist gauntlets you get 3s of uncontested beating.