PDA

View Full Version : Hmm...how would one blind a ritualist?

dantheman5415
15-01-2006, 00:05
I've been thinking about the two new classes, and I've heard that the ritualist is inherently blind (or blindfolded), and uses his spiritual powers in order to "see"...if so, how would blind work against one? Surely skills like Throw Dirt would have no effect on a blind guy with a blindfold :tongue:

Cripple X
15-01-2006, 00:34
Here's a post I made in another thread about this issue (with a few changes):

We're just going to have to suspend disbelief on the whole Blindness/Blindfolded issue for the sake of balance.

While its true that if the Ritualist were to see using the spirit realm instead of his actual eyes, then blinding his physical body (the blind status effect) should have absolutely no effect on his ability to "see", ((Think something like Neo from the Matrix Revolutions.)) However being unable to blind a Ritualist would lead to a horrible imbalance with unhinderable Ritualist/Warriors or Ritualist/Assassins. This simply isn't acceptable.

So, while most of you are correct in asserting that Blind shouldn't affect a Ritualist, we must also realize that this is a game, and that balance should always remain the primary focus. Therefore we just have to accept that the situation doesn't quite coincide with lore. That's my two cents anyway.

glitched
15-01-2006, 01:46
Here's a post I made in another thread about this issue (with a few changes):

We're just going to have to suspend disbelief on the whole Blindness/Blindfolded issue for the sake of balance.

While its true that if the Ritualist were to see using the spirit realm instead of his actual eyes, then blinding his physical body (the blind status effect) should have absolutely no effect on his ability to "see", ((Think something like Neo from the Matrix Revolutions.)) However being unable to blind a Ritualist would lead to a horrible imbalance with unhinderable Ritualist/Warriors or Ritualist/Assassins. This simply isn't acceptable.

So, while most of you are correct in asserting that Blind shouldn't affect a Ritualist, we must also realize that this is a game, and that balance should always remain the primary focus. Therefore we just have to accept that the situation doesn't quite coincide with lore. That's my two cents anyway.
I agree 100% :grin:

meatloafman
15-01-2006, 02:36
/signed.. this game is already as realistic (graphically) as many games get out there, i think theres a little space for a little unrealism to squeeze in..

Tanamoril
15-01-2006, 09:02
With love?

Could be fun.

Xandlyn
15-01-2006, 09:39
Hahaha I didn't even think about that. It will be interesting none the less.

Ritualist Day 1: went out and fought some Boulder elementals. One tried to blind me but eh...kind of didn't do anything. But I didn't have the heart to tell them as I was kicking their butts. :smile:

charrlover
15-01-2006, 14:18
In theory you couldn't but heck then Ritualist/Assasins and Ritualist/Warriors would probably beat the crap out of people in PvP and we wouldn't want that

The Pumpkin Lord of Doom
15-01-2006, 20:44
Blinding a Ritualist Hmmm I Think its Impossible but to weaken them:

Mesmer: Disable Spirits - Stops The Use of Spirits in The Area for X Seconds
Ele: Spirit Fry - Halfs the Spirits damage Delt or Halfs the Life Time of it
Warrior: I Do Not Beleive - You Will Receive Half Spirit Damage For X Seconds

And thats all I could think Off :tongue:

IIIPowerIII
15-01-2006, 20:57
Who care if theyre not blindable? You Can snare, weaken, daze ect. Dont tell me a Ritualist/War will own everything ebcause it cant be blinded... Not 1 char make the team win, its the team and alone its worthless...

olie0923
16-01-2006, 05:47
What's to say that each class won't have a new skill to counteract the ritualist's spiritual being (or something to that affect)? Of course the skill would have affects on other classes but it's main concern would be the ritualist.

Dark Calibur
16-01-2006, 13:45
hmm... or it could blind the ritualist.......

if they are blinded... and their sight to the spirit realm is blocked... wouldn't that block their ability to get new spirits? and if deadly spirits roam in the realm that are not friendly to the Ri... they could get attacked while blinded while otherwise they wouldn't since the Ri could see and dodge the enemy spirit's attacks...

just a little theory...

Gangrel
16-01-2006, 17:51
I don't see how a little dirt, or a bright flash could blind them from seeing the spirit realm.. But that's just my little theory.

chin
16-01-2006, 18:04
Maybe it would disrupt theyre concentration so much that they couldn't use they're spirit powers!

Or maybe it wouldn't and it would still hit you like illusionary weaponry.. :\

Auntie I
16-01-2006, 20:31
For the sake of discussion (argument) let's say that Blind doesn't affect a Ritualist.

Well since their immune to Blind maybe they're extra susceptable to Dazed. It would mean that they couldn't see using the spirit world. Concussion Shot FTW?

jvxmtg
16-01-2006, 23:36
A blind person "sees" in real world thru sounds. Therefore, to blind a blind is to distort the sounds around them or create many other sounds to confuse their sense of hearing. This is enough to cause the Blind effect per Guild Wars description;

"Blind makes the target's melee and projectile attacks less accurate, giving them a 90% chance to miss. The target's projectile attacks also have a greater chance to stray from their intended target."

Therefore, whatever causes a character to miss 90% of the time, they are blinded.

Cripple X
17-01-2006, 00:44
A blind person "sees" in real world thru sounds. Therefore, to blind a blind is to distort the sounds around them or create many other sounds to confuse their sense of hearing. This is enough to cause the Blind effect per Guild Wars description;

"Blind makes the target's melee and projectile attacks less accurate, giving them a 90% chance to miss. The target's projectile attacks also have a greater chance to stray from their intended target."

Therefore, whatever causes a character to miss 90% of the time, they are blinded.

That argument doesn't hold when you have skill names/descriptions that insinuate incapacitation of the eyes, for instance, dust trap or blinding flash. Niether of those would affect the ears to the point of deafness, or some other adverse effect, as you seem to suggest.

SepticFlesh
17-01-2006, 01:27
Now its just silly to actually believe the ritualist will actually have such an ability, AN have been all about balance in this game so far so why would they just throw it out the window for this new class.

Nobleman Azure
17-01-2006, 03:11
Just like choking gas shouldnt be able to work on assassins and rangers who are for some reason casting spells lol.

superiorrunes
17-01-2006, 03:57
heres a new skill:

I'm Allready Blind, Fools!

energy 5 recharge 20
Elite Shout. If you have blind on you, all nearby enemies suffer from blind for 3...14 seconds. All nearby allies, however, are caught off gaurd and are interrupted.

Avoc
17-01-2006, 17:04
I cant see how a rit/war should be able to pwn all... Like already mentioned there are other states then blind, not to mention that I suspect the ritualist of having just as strong armor as the monk, if not maybe weaker.

jvxmtg
17-01-2006, 19:42
That argument doesn't hold when you have skill names/descriptions that insinuate incapacitation of the eyes, for instance, dust trap or blinding flash. Niether of those would affect the ears to the point of deafness, or some other adverse effect, as you seem to suggest.

Maybe it flashes their ears or the dust goes into their ears and blocks all sound, who knows, just use your imagination. :tongue:

Cripple X
17-01-2006, 20:02
Maybe it flashes their ears or the dust goes into their ears and blocks all sound, who knows, just use your imagination. :tongue:

As amusing as that would be I doubt it! But just for fun:
*Captain Kirk Style* "Ears were........exposed....bright flash......ear drums.....not responding.........gah!" :wink:

stueyman
17-01-2006, 20:10
i think its safe to assume that a Ri/W is going to be just as effective as all the other X/W builds out there. they all have their quirks, but they can be made to work

R/W: apply poison, using a pet to supliment your dps.
E/W devestating hammer+heavy blow+stoning
N/W touch skills
Me/W Illusionary weaponry
Mo/W use 4 maintained enchantments, including holy wrath, and make the warriors not want to touch you.

these are just some examples of ways a warrior secondary has been used with other classes, the Ri will likley pan out the same way, but to have immunity to blindness would just be unbalanced. currently, many classes are reliant on blinds to incapacitate warriors (blinding flash, dust trap, throw dirt), and you cant just take tat away from them so easily.

jvxmtg
17-01-2006, 22:28
As amusing as that would be I doubt it! But just for fun:
*Captain Kirk Style* "Ears were........exposed....bright flash......ear drums.....not responding.........gah!" :wink:

hahaha that's a posibility. I won't be surprise if Assassins pack some Flash Grenades :grin:

Thildonk
17-01-2006, 23:03
I'm new to this discussion, but have you thought about what existing skills might do to the "6th sense seeing" of a Ritualist?

Conjure Phantasm??
Thunderclap?
Weakness?
Ranger Spirits?

Dukan
22-01-2006, 10:47
It looks to me like the Ritualist isn't actually blind, but uses a headwrap for spiritual perception beyond site. At least, when in towns and the headpiece is hidden, they have perfectly good looking eyes to me.

Don't know that it really matters. The blind condition affects them the same as others. There is the weapon spell, Guided Weapon, that ignores blindness for attack skills.

SoulsOfEternity
26-01-2006, 00:34
Heh well there is also an Assassin skill that ignores the "blind" condition as well, but that's not what I wanted to talk about :tongue:.

Maybe since the Ritualists are already blinded, they can't be blinded again, but their distraction could be interupted. Instead of 11 seconds or whatever Throw Dirt is at it's mebbe 3 for the little dust particles hitting your head. And maybe they're more susceptible to different spells causing temporary "blindness" to a Ritualist like poison, the pain of poison would prolly distract someone in another world eh? :grin:

It'd be interesting if Anet did apply the fact that Ritualist are already blindfolded and therefore can't be "blinded" by the traditional blind spells.

funky wookiepants
26-01-2006, 01:47
Hi Mr. Ritualist... meet my friend Mr. Poison Arrow
*thok*
Have a nice day now, y'hear?

nkuvu
26-01-2006, 01:47
I didn't get a chance to really get into the Ritualist, but it seems that they're much more spell casters than melee fighters. Yes?

If so... ever blind an elementalist? It doesn't do a lot. My ele has been blinded plenty, and her spells still connect. Blind is a pain for melee fighters but spells seem to be unaffected.

alchemistsan
26-01-2006, 08:30
Here a solution to u,
ritualist = caster

blind a caster = useless (the spell can hit the target)

so the equation is blind a ritualist = useless

Bilateralrope
26-01-2006, 10:02
It looks to me like the Ritualist isn't actually blind, but uses a headwrap for spiritual perception beyond site. At least, when in towns and the headpiece is hidden, they have perfectly good looking eyes to me.

Yes, but the headpiece covers the eyes, making him unable to see. In fact, it would also protect the ritulist from most of the things that would blind him

WingspanTT
26-01-2006, 16:07
Yes, Ritualists should be immune to blind, and Assassins...

Don't need keys to open chests!

Get it? lol

Sun is in us
26-01-2006, 22:15
The headdress is not actually blinding them.........it is gauze like (so they can see) and is actually called "A Spectral Essence Collector". It works like a 1970's headband (Dodgeball style) that collects the sweat (Spectral Essence) of the wearer. When dirt hits their forhead, this steady stream is interupted; concentration gone, they couldn't hit you with a wand if they wanted to.

The other forms of blindness are majical in nature (Signet of Mid...clumsiness etc....)

Ta da!

Van Tomiko
26-01-2006, 23:02
After trying this class, i dont think they are "always in blind condition". Blind is only a gimmick for this class. In fact, ritualist can hit foes with their wand.

Sol Rael
26-01-2006, 23:07
I'd say ripping their eyes violently from the sockets, or bursting the little suckers with a weapon strike. Spirit sight or not, I'm betting that kinda blinding pain (pun intended) would be enough to throw off their ability to hit for at least a little while.