PDA

View Full Version : Forum experience/stat info and FAQ's.

Parker Bsb
18-01-2006, 16:18
First off a fair warning:

Spammage. Anyone spamming to increase their stats will be dealt with the same way we deal with people spamming to get their post count up. In the first instance their post count will be dramatically reduced, usually to 0 and banned the 2nd time. Reducing post count will readjust their stats so spammage is counterproductive.

Basically you are looking at getting a slap on the wrists and potentially worse if you continue your spamming ways (also you can look at the rest of the forum rules here. (http://forums.gwonline.net/rules/))

Now on to the basics
HP: Drops and rises according to the member’s activeness.
- This is based on a 10 post per day rule, if you post less than that every day your health will drop as witnessed by the last line of the following equations)

Info on where these numbers come from (straight from the creator of this plugin)

$hpmulti =round ($postsperday / 6, 1);
if ($hpmulti > 1.5) {
$hpmulti = 1.5;
}
if ($hpmulti < 1) {
$hpmulti = 1;
}

$maxhp = $level * 25 * $hpmulti;

$hp= $postsperday / 10;

MP: Determines how long a user has been with the forums, and how active they are.
- This is based on join time versus the number of posts we have (activity).

Here's the calculations with regards to energy

$maxmp= ($jointime * $level) / 5;
Determins Max MP. Again, the 5 just seems right.

$mp= $post[posts] / 3;
Determins MP, not sure why I chose to do what I did, but it works. This is the reason why MP is still a mystery to my members and even to me.

EXP: Determines how close a member is to reaching the next level. This is based on a level 99 character so quite similar to any of the Final Fantasy games. The leveling is based on a logarithmic scale so the higher your level the harder it is to gain another level.

FAQ’s:
Q: If I get to 0 health what happens?
A: Nothing serious, it’s more for fun than anything after all

Q: How come so-and-so has more health than me but we are the same level
A: Just like most RPG’s there is some randomization when you gain a level as to how much health you gain

Q: Can I “farm” posts to raise my level?
A: A resounding NO! (please also re-read the disclaimer at the top of this thread)

Q: So what do these levels etc… do?
A: Nothing at the moment, just to spruce up the forums and have a bit of fun.

Q: If I gain a level will my health and energy be filled?
A: Nope

Cérilia
18-01-2006, 18:02
Very good except that I would have liked to see the actual equation for levels and I'm not sure about this answer:

Q: How come so-and-so has more health than me but we are the same level
A: Just like most RPG’s there is some randomization when you gain a level as to how much health you gain

To compute max health you use:
$maxhp = $level * 25 * $hpmulti;
So with the same level the only difference is in $hpmulti computed with:
$hpmulti =round ($postsperday / 6, 1);
if ($hpmulti > 1.5) {
$hpmulti = 1.5;
}
if ($hpmulti < 1) {
$hpmulti = 1;
}
So we see that $hpmulti depends on $postsperday (and so is $hpmulti and $maxhp). i.e. between two people of same level the one with highest $postperday will have more hit points. (someone posting a lot in a short time will have up to 50% more hp than someone posting from time to time but over a very long time)
Given that, I think it's not a random thing! :tongue:

Parker Bsb
18-01-2006, 18:14
I guess it's not completly random, but what you have quoted is indeed how it generates the difference in health per level.

Maybe I should have been a little more specific... however for the average user it is a fairly random thing :tongue:

Rune Splendor
19-01-2006, 01:08
Cerilia, you dissappoint me, jumping on the math bandwagon like that!

Can someone please dumb it down a trifle for us 'rithmaphobes?

It seems like you must consistently and steadily post daily in order to go up at all, pulling an all day post-a-thon will not be nearly as effective?

Mookle X
19-01-2006, 02:56
Could you please explain the calculations on the figuring out MP and health in simple terms for the rest of us to understand?

xProteus
19-01-2006, 07:18
*sob*

I'm quite active but I don't post that much in one day...

I'll probably be at 0 hp forever...

"xProteus is dead!"
I hope someone brought along a rez sig...

Cérilia
19-01-2006, 08:38
Cerilia, you dissappoint me, jumping on the math bandwagon like that!
Sorry... I did my master on maths, and so, sometimes, I just can't help myself...

noggieca
19-01-2006, 08:44
Og like number :goofy:

Parker Bsb
19-01-2006, 13:08
Could you please explain the calculations on the figuring out MP and health in simple terms for the rest of us to understand?

I'll try my best:

Health:

Max HP is your level times 25 times a "random" factor So at level 10 your health would be 10*25*X

Your actual health is based on how many posts you make in a day divided by 10 ( if you make 10 posts in one day then your HP will stay the same, less and your hp drops, more and your hp rises)

The hpmulti variable is the random factor... no real need to get into it's calculation if you are looking for a simple explanation. Suffice to say as Creillia noted if you post more you will gain more HP as your level rises.

Energy:

Max energy is your join time times your level divided by five (I'm guessing to keep the number in line with health) so to use me as a example,
Join date Dec 2004 (380 days rounded)
Level 35
Max energ = 380 * 35 / 5 (equals 2660)

- Note! If you do the formula in reverse you'll see that I've actually been here 380.71428 days which accounts for the difference in my energy vs what I calculate

Your actual energy is a mystery... even to the guy that wrote this formula so all I can say is that it seems that the more consistantly you post over the timeframe you are here the closer to max your energy will be.

I hope that is easier to understand guys :wink:

Cérilia
19-01-2006, 14:52
There is something strange still... Looking at your level you should have
35*25*$hpmulti maximum hit points with $hpmulti >= 1 ie your $hpmax should be greater or equal to 35*25=875. Yours is 870 right now...

Parker Bsb
19-01-2006, 15:06
Yeah I noticed that as well, I am assuming one of 2 things, there is indeed a randomness factor that isn't accounted for in the forumlas; or (and this is more likley) me coming over from the Dii forums and surviving the forum split somehow skewed the results.

I'm going to compare your forum stats and mine to see if it is due to the forum split or no

Edit: Ok so the Round hpmulti rounds to 2 decimal points (just to be tricky... not important really tho).

SO I can get your exact numbers, however for mine I can't account for that 5 less health :embarassed: . Last thing to note is I miss calculated my join date it is actually 382 not 380 like previously stated

Phaeax
19-01-2006, 17:17
I did some analysis of this myself when I was shown the formulae. Here's some analysis hopefully those without a big math background can partially understand.

Max health is determined by forum level and frequency of posting.
Your forum level is based sheerly on your number of posts and progresses logarithmically. The formula for level is:
level = log10(posts)^3
The actual level shown is this number plus 1, since there is no level 0. If you are an infrequent poster, multiply your level by 25 to get your HP. If you are making 9 posts per day on average or over, multiply your level by 37.5 (25*1.5) to get your HP. Remember, level isn't purely an integer. If you post average is between 6 and 9 per day, your bonus multiplier is linearly distanced between 1.0 and 1.5.

It's harder to keep up your energy than your health.
Maximum values for health and energy are based on level and the current values are based on the number of posts. But the maximum value for energy also depends on how long you've been a member. Taking a look at the formulas:
maxmp = days * level / 5
currentmp = posts / 3
To have maximum energy, or currentmp/maxmp >= 1, you must post an average of 3/5 of your level per day. For me right now, that would mean 25 posts per day!

Parker Bsb
19-01-2006, 18:02
I hadn't even really looked at the energy formulae (I figured if the creator didn't get it... how the heck should I!!!) but that makes sense, I wonder if there's a way to modify the plugin as I have a feeling the energy one more than the others will lead to a increase in spam.

Phaeax
19-01-2006, 19:08
I hadn't even really looked at the energy formulae (I figured if the creator didn't get it... how the heck should I!!!) but that makes sense, I wonder if there's a way to modify the plugin as I have a feeling the energy one more than the others will lead to a increase in spam. I'd only need around 16,000 posts in the next few days to get my energy full...

Corporeal Ghost
19-01-2006, 21:57
That's pretty harsh. Doesn't seem like this will contribute to anything but spam and elitism if you ask me, but I guess you didn't. After all, it's glorified post count, which was basically the same thing.

And ten a day completely owns me since I probably spend more time on one post than the average guy does on five or six. Not that I particularly care. But this is something that may or may not detract from the intelligence and clarity of posts in general if people have more incentive to just get them out there.

And uhh, when was this implemented? I didn't notice it until a few days ago, but that really doesn't mean anything.

--me

Mookle X
20-01-2006, 01:31
I'll try my best:

Health:

Max HP is your level times 25 times a "random" factor So at level 10 your health would be 10*25*X

Your actual health is based on how many posts you make in a day divided by 10 ( if you make 10 posts in one day then your HP will stay the same, less and your hp drops, more and your hp rises)

The hpmulti variable is the random factor... no real need to get into it's calculation if you are looking for a simple explanation. Suffice to say as Creillia noted if you post more you will gain more HP as your level rises.

Energy:

Max energy is your join time times your level divided by five (I'm guessing to keep the number in line with health) so to use me as a example,
Join date Dec 2004 (380 days rounded)
Level 35
Max energ = 380 * 35 / 5 (equals 2660)

- Note! If you do the formula in reverse you'll see that I've actually been here 380.71428 days which accounts for the difference in my energy vs what I calculate

Your actual energy is a mystery... even to the guy that wrote this formula so all I can say is that it seems that the more consistantly you post over the timeframe you are here the closer to max your energy will be.

I hope that is easier to understand guys :wink:

This makes it a lot easier for at least me to understand. Thanks a lot for this cool thing you've implemented.

Ragnarok-
21-01-2006, 05:20
This will hardly contribute to spam and elitism, people with full bars will either be known spammers or known people who actually contribute. Either way it's not elitism, only one way it's spam. And spam is dealt with. ^^

Parker Bsb
23-01-2006, 14:23
This makes it a lot easier for at least me to understand. Thanks a lot for this cool thing you've implemented.

I'm guessing this was aimed at the Admins but just in case it was not I will clairify - I did not write this, nor did I impliment it.

Now that that's clear: Ghost I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's more for fun than anything else (altho I wonder if there is a way to have HP based on how many characters are typed in the post not how many posts per day).

Saint Troy
16-02-2006, 23:38
Ahhh...I get it now....smart :grin:

Fallen_62
17-02-2006, 14:34
Does someone wanna make a repost of this, without the size tags? parker, it was your baby...

defrule
18-02-2006, 01:31
Out of interest, is this feature come as a standard in vBulletin or was it a saparate plugin?

nkuvu
18-02-2006, 01:38
Does someone wanna make a repost of this, without the size tags? parker, it was your baby...
If no one else steps up, I can do it.

Fallen_62
18-02-2006, 04:19
Out of interest, is this feature come as a standard in vBulletin or was it a saparate plugin?

It was a seperate plugin that Elly and Rushter put in.

And nkuvu, if you wanna do it, go right ahead ;)

nkuvu
18-02-2006, 04:57
Huh. Well I looked at the original post again for reference, and it seems to be all fixed now. ^_^

Yay, my work is easy. "See first post in this thread."

Parker Bsb
18-02-2006, 12:31
Sorry I was having a hard time accessing the forums until today... glad to see the post is fixed tho :grin:

Fallen_62
18-02-2006, 15:10
Hehe, good old Diab ;) Thanks Diab :P

Draenor
01-03-2006, 15:08
Any chance that the MP formulas can be changed? As it stands, after a certain amount of time each post increases a poster's max MP more than it increases their current MP, leading to an MP bar that is never full.

TeenSpirit
14-03-2006, 06:05
:o I had better post lots so I can gt strong enough to fight those smelly charrrrrrrrrrr!

X-Todd
27-03-2006, 20:20
wehre can one get this plugin? i think its neat and want to see if i can get it on a forum my friend runs... :)

Fallen_62
27-03-2006, 21:59
I will get you the link, Todd.

X-Todd
27-03-2006, 22:42
Thank you, I would greatly appeciate that. I think its a neat feature. Something to brag about :)

DarkY
29-03-2006, 10:49
the different forums (like that one from diabloii.net and this GWonline) used to be the same. But this is changed?

Caus i have different post count of the forums (around 900 vs 970)
But my profile is also different on both forums, and im 100% sure it is/was the same account (see my join date, it was few days after they hacked the forum of diabloii.net orso)

Fallen_62
29-03-2006, 15:10
Yea, the diabloii.net, gwonline.net and worldofwar.net forums all run off of seperate databases. The three were seperated about a year ago, I think. So now, whatever is done on one side of the network is not reflected on the others.

Mordakai Slivermoon
11-04-2006, 13:54
Hey Fallen, did you notice that you are almost up to your 5000th post?

Fallen_62
11-04-2006, 14:39
Hey Fallen, did you notice that you are almost up to your 5000th post?

I notice it every now and then, yes, but I dont really pay a lot of attention to it :P

edit: Wow, closer than I thought O.o

Lensor
11-04-2006, 17:37
I like this new feature, as you can, with a glance of an eye, see not only how many posts someone has, but also some measure of activity.

However:

Keeping in mind that the GuildWars game itself is aimed at the "casual gamer",10 posts a day not to loose hp seem a bit high to me. I dont think most GWonline forum members, even the "active" ones post that much on an average day.

The number 10 both invites spam as well as penalize the forum goers who like to write longer posts. A better formula would be 1 a day to keep your hp, but maybe 10 to increase it. That way, you would have to have a very active day to to gain hp, but would not have to be uber active every day to keep it.

The energy thing seem kinda funny too, almost impossible to max out even for the most active of forum users (especially the more long-term ones).

Viatus
11-04-2006, 20:26
I guess it's not completly random, but what you have quoted is indeed how it generates the difference in health per level.

Maybe I should have been a little more specific... however for the average user it is a fairly random thing :tongue:
:tongue: is this implying that the avrage use would not understand the example given to awnser? lol Harsh:cry:

*sob*

I'm quite active but I don't post that much in one day...

I'll probably be at 0 hp forever...

"xProteus is dead!"
I hope someone brought along a rez sig...
Oh this is so sad, I'm probly going to die to so at least we have the dead club:laugh:

Parker Bsb
12-04-2006, 11:52
Bear in mind it's just for fun - there's no reason to post 10 posts per day, it's not like your account gets deleted when you get to 0 HP :tongue:

Also Viatus - I wasn't implying that at all! I do know there's alot of people that don't like to bother with math (calculators/excel does that for them) :grin:

Lensor
12-04-2006, 16:23
Bear in mind it's just for fun - there's no reason to post 10 posts per day, it's not like your account gets deleted when you get to 0 HP

NOOO, levels are everything, I need full HP, I need full ENE, gimme the EXP! :angry2:

:wink:

Kidding aside, It makes me sad to think that I, and many with me, will always be looking at almost-empty HP/ENE bars, even though I visit the forum as good as every day, and almost always post something. It just dont feel fair. :cry:

We are all rpg-gamers after all, bars matter to us. :smiley:

Scutilla
13-04-2006, 01:30
The energy thing seem kinda funny too, almost impossible to max out even for the most active of forum users (especially the more long-term ones).
Yeah, that bugs me a bit (the only person with a full energy bar is Ashberry, who's even more of a post monkey than I am). Ah well, at least I don't have 0 energy like a lot of people.

"I'm using Ether Prodigy!" (or is that Ether Renewal, I never can remember...)

Oh, and congrats on the big 5k, Fallen :grin:

Fallen_62
13-04-2006, 02:02
Oh, and congrats on the big 5k, Fallen :grin:

Heh, I was ganna make a celebration post about it, but I hit it before I knew it :P

DarkY
19-04-2006, 10:20
interesting thread, tx for helping me out why this is now.
Caus its new for me :)

Btw i want some more health and mana, can someone heal me and give me some mana

Elecro
03-05-2006, 18:42
This system with health, Energy, Exp and leveling could attract more people to be active on the forum, quite cool idea if u ask me, the coolest thing its based on Gw.

DarkY, post a continuos string on nonsense, that way you will up your health. :)

nkuvu
03-05-2006, 19:09
DarkY, post a continuos string on nonsense, that way you will up your health. :)
I'd recommend against spamming to increase your health. Not only is it mentioned in the very first post in the thread, it's against forum rules. You may find yourself with a post count of -450 or so.

Elecro
04-05-2006, 11:07
I'd recommend against spamming to increase your health. Not only is it mentioned in the very first post in the thread, it's against forum rules. You may find yourself with a post count of -450 or so.

Come on, you didnt really think im serious ^^

Wraparound
13-05-2006, 22:07
I actually returned here not too long ago after a lengthy hiatus. I was surprised by the rpg styly forum that was created....pretty cool.

I after reading the calculations, I figured out why my hp to mp ratio was as such...:grin: me=more activity.

Draenor
30-05-2006, 18:15
After a certain point, it's impossible to maintain full energy. Max energy increases at a faster pace than current energy.

DarkY
06-06-2006, 15:06
i still need some healing and some mana (lol 6k)

TeLz
29-06-2006, 01:43
ive not seen this system for forum ranking before and im quite the forum maniac for my other games :)
i was just wondering if a different method of measuing rank or a new rank type or summat could be inplaced?

i had the idea that an extra rank could be allocated depending on the number of characters per post someone makes or number of letters or words someone averages in there posts, would be pretty cool!

like others have said it definitly attracts users to be more active since their is a goal to the forum rather than just the total numbers of posts

GJ :afro:

bashthemdead
17-07-2006, 03:04
i've probably got around 0 hp then, since i never post.

Xitoahc
30-07-2006, 04:13
It was a seperate plugin that Elly and Rushter put in.

Do you still have the plugin available? I'd love to add this to my guild forum. :laugh:

Fallen_62
30-07-2006, 04:20
Do you still have the plugin available? I'd love to add this to my guild forum. :laugh:

It came off the official vBulletin boards somewhere. I had the URL, but I lost it a long time ago :(

Roleying
31-07-2006, 17:20
[QUOTE=Parker Bsb]Bear in mind it's just for fun - there's no reason to post 10 posts per day, it's not like your account gets deleted when you get to 0 HP :tongue:

Men it's a good thing that is just for fun,I was afraid to be called a newbie again,i'm very low in everything.
P.S. Ok maybe i'm still a noob

The strategic
04-09-2006, 21:10
Thanks a lot! I was starting to post stupid posts to get my lvl up for jokes but now i know its illegal and not worth the trouble. You answered all my questions since I'm new to this.

Thanks again! :D Appreciate it!

The strategic
04-09-2006, 21:13
A few more questions:

How do I quote replies and how do i get an avatar picture?

Fallen_62
05-09-2006, 17:30
A few more questions:

How do I quote replies and how do i get an avatar picture?

To quote replies, hit the "reply" button in the post you want to reply to. I see you already got an avatar picture, so I wont worry about that.

As a side note, try not to double post. If you post something, you have an hour to go back and edit it, so please do that if you want to add something to the post, dont just make a new one ;)

death is a rosie
17-02-2008, 15:41
so what is the energy for and hwo do you get that up?!?!

Pandem
17-02-2008, 16:02
so what is the energy for and hwo do you get that up?!?!
Read the first post. It's mentioned there as MP rather than energy.

death is a rosie
17-02-2008, 16:28
ahh kk now i get it

genjitheninja
04-03-2008, 03:23
so....how do i get a signiture thingy...or do i have to get to a certain "level" to get it?

Pandem
04-03-2008, 06:35
You don't get anything from the stat/experience system, it's purely for show. Signatures are reserved for Moderators and above, plus PALs which are users that donate financial support to the website. (http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/payments.php)

genjitheninja
04-03-2008, 18:09
oh....*is sad* darn...curse my poorness, grrr, lol

MixedVariety
15-05-2011, 22:50
The stat system has been enabled again. The opening post explains in some detail the specifics of it, and also includes warnings about abusing the system. In a nutshell, this is just a fun thing to have under your avatar, not an invitation to spam posts.

RD
15-05-2011, 23:28
The stat system has been enabled again. The opening post explains in some detail the specifics of it, and also includes warnings about abusing the system. In a nutshell, this is just a fun thing to have under your avatar, not an invitation to spam posts.

I know a few posters who won't be happy to hear that :grin:

Lensor
16-05-2011, 13:57
Haha, this old beast again. Funny stuff. :grin:

I still wish the algorithms would be a little bit more casual friendly. I know it is just for fun, but on the other hand "fun" is not to always be looking at near-empty bars. It looks so.. forlorn. :embarassed:

I would suggest having 1 post/day not to lose HP, and 10 posts/day to increase. That way you could very easily keep up the bar without encouraging spam, and if having a particularly active day the HP could go up.

Also the ENE bar is kinda weird. When not even people like MV (or Alaris!) have more than a sliver of energy something is way off.

Alaris
16-05-2011, 14:05
I suggest we set the statistics so that I have a full MP bar. It's unrealistic otherwise.

Joking aside, I have been really active when I started posting, but I was a lurker for a while before. I didn't check the formulas to see if that has an effect (probably not).

Lensor
16-05-2011, 14:12
Date of registration does not matter afaik, only post count;

level = straight-up post count
HP = mix of level (decides max HP) and posts/day (decides actual HP), posts/day needed to keep up HP is constant at 10 posts.
ENE = mix of level and posts/day, however the posts/day needed also depend on level. So the higher the level, the harder to keep up the energy.

Haha, would be funny though if statistics were balanced so that Alaris was always on ZERO Energy, and everyone else had more (and people who hadnt posted for years were full). Basically having it the other way around, using energy as an actual pool showing how long ago it was since you posted.

Oh, and if it hit zero, you would get a "You don't have the energy to post" message. :laughing:

Alaris
16-05-2011, 14:25
Current mp is postcount/3
Max mp is (jointime * level) / 5

Jointime is how long ago you joined, in days.

A quick calculation shows that you have a full mp bar if:

postcount/3 = (jointime * level) / 5, or
postcount = 3*max hp

I'd have a max hp if my postcount was 3*21402=64206. Yeah, as if.

The max hp is probably roughly quadratic (because both jointime and level increase over time). However, mp is linear. So an old-time high-level like me has no chance to max his mp.

Lensor
16-05-2011, 14:32
Aha, so join time is in the max energy, makes sense. Seeing that my max energy is almost as high as yours even though I have WAY less posts.

Ye, I'll have a fat chance ever catching up then.

Alaris
16-05-2011, 14:37
Funny thing is that if you even try to catch up with MP, you'll go up in levels too, so you'll actually need to post way more than I have.

The best way to max mp is to start a new account, so you're not bothered by high level and long join date... but that's against the rules too.

It's realistic though... youngsters being more energetic and all. We have the benefit of wisdom.

Mraezk
17-05-2011, 05:58
Yeah, I pretty much hate this.

shawn
17-05-2011, 06:08
..srsly? What's there to hate, ffs. They're just bars.

Erring Ryft
17-05-2011, 08:16
It depends how good you are at ignoring things - take, for instance, notifications on smart phones. Every time I get one - say, someone plays a move in Scrabble - I have to make that little number go away so my screen looks normal again. Maybe Mraz has a similar compulsion toward forum bars? Also, if your bars go up, you're obv having more fun, dur.

MoonUnit
17-05-2011, 08:18
Holy carp! That's some epic barz.

Lytha
17-05-2011, 08:50
Might I ask why they were enabled again? I don't mind them, but I am curious.

Lady Rhonwyn
17-05-2011, 09:48
It's realistic though... youngsters being more energetic and all. We have the benefit of wisdom.

You almost made me spill my drink with that statement!

Yeah, I pretty much hate this.

Why? They're fun and harmless. and if you don't like them, just ignore them. It's not as if they actually mean anything...

Raye
17-05-2011, 10:11

Me too. I actually don't remember them either... so they probably were taken out before I joined?

Sent from my G2. lulz what typos?

Tom Nook
17-05-2011, 11:18

*raises hand*
My fault. (http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5701156&postcount=6)

Lensor
17-05-2011, 11:45
I still think it would be cool if the energy was opposite, so that if you post a lot in a short time you "spend" mana. But even if keeping the normal way, balancing it so that the "average" poster sits at around the halfway mark would be neat.

Seeing only slivers is depressing.