PDA

View Full Version : Im am not looking forward to this class at all

Thrallsmight
19-01-2006, 15:07
I thought we would get like a shapeshifter or something but not another shaman wannabe class =/ any one else dislike the ritualist?

Priest Of Sorrows
19-01-2006, 15:23
I dont understand the obsession with a shapeshifter that alot of people have ?
Is it because there is one in WoW or what? I dont see the point in a shapeshifter personally other than for the look of shapeshifting. Now i think the ritualist will be an exciting profession. Seems to be a bit mysterious and im sure people will come up with some awesome builds. So i myself will be starting a Ritualist char when factions comes out.

Xandlyn
19-01-2006, 19:59
I am really looking forward to the ritualist. I thought that I was going to start an assassin first but when they released more info about each of the characters I am definatly going for ritualist first. I don't know why you would have though a ritualist would have been a shape shifter. Come on....Anet had to veer away from the D2 characters a little bit (no druids).

Personally I think the ritualist is going to be a great support class. More people will forget the need for two monk combos and go for something else. Once we see exactly what types of skills are going to available you will be thinking you'll want a ritualistin your team.

jvxmtg
19-01-2006, 20:41
I'm not excited about the Ritualist at all as much as I'm excited about the Assassin. Maybe I'm more offensive oriented than defensive.

A couple of Ritualist skills do intrigue me, maybe I can splash it in a build with my Necro or Elementalist, but we'll see.

Erasculio
19-01-2006, 23:11
I thought we would get like a shapeshifter or something but not another shaman wannabe class =/
So, you wanted a druid wannabe class? Despite the piles of topics we have comparing both? Right. Sorry, this isn't WoW.

Erasculio

eirikr
20-01-2006, 00:32
I thought we would get like a shapeshifter or something but not another shaman wannabe class =/ any one else dislike the ritualist?

Nope, i think the ritualist is more interesting than the assassin, but most will want to try both.

ColdwaveKid
20-01-2006, 03:14
Well I am sure mesmers will love this class. They will not be the most misunderstood class anymore.

Colretsun Andolin
20-01-2006, 03:18
Why would you want a shapeshifting class, you've only got 8 slots, so the diversity usually offered by a shapeshifting class wouldn't exist, it'd basically be a rehashed warrior.

WiseElben
20-01-2006, 03:55
I have no idea what the shapeshifting class is, but I wished ANET would create a Blacksmith class, where you can increase player's weapon dmg, add mods, and change elements. The same applies to armor. They would be enchantments I suppose. And the best... they get to forge weapons! Or maybe skills that will make salvaging lean one way (like more chance of getting the suffix or the prefix), and so on.

Oh.. the coolest thing would be armor forging... They can add extra designs to the existing armor. The percentage of failure should be high though, like 30%. This would serve as another gold sink...

Oh well, I can only dream.

archpsi
20-01-2006, 04:25
So, you wanted a druid wannabe class? Despite the piles of topics we have comparing both? Right. Sorry, this isn't WoW.

Erasculio

but shaman is also in wow and atm the ritualist is looking alot like a shaman, cept that in gw we can take secondary skills and make a hunter/shaman(re/ri / ri/re) combo or necro/shaman combo(ri/ne / ne/ri), hopefully the spawns he summons helps necro minions aswell.

lets hope the things he summons are more then just immobile x that does y, otherwise it will be too much like a shaman.

and I would prefer to play a dark shapeshifter than a shaman.

think of a shapeshifter that can turn into dark spirit forms(shades, netherspawns...), wouldnt that be kewl, add in some w or ne or something for touch spells and when you turn into a shade and start using necro/warrior skills with shade skills(skills you get by turning into a shade).

Lefaras
20-01-2006, 04:48
i think it is too early to sterotype Ri into a shaman...

It prob more useful to compare the two after the PVPevent....

But than the Ri do look alot like a shaman.....

Holb
20-01-2006, 04:54
Why would you want a shapeshifting class, you've only got 8 slots, so the diversity usually offered by a shapeshifting class wouldn't exist, it'd basically be a rehashed warrior.

The whole shapeshifting idea people use is from Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction.
In that expansion, Battle.Net added an Assassin and Druid. See (for the
uniformed) in D2, the Assassin used martial arts skills, trapping skills,
and shadow disciplines.

The Druid had a shapeshifting option (along with an Elemental option and
Summoning option) where it could change into 2 things: a werewolf and a
werebear.

alchemistsan
20-01-2006, 05:33
I dont understand the obsession with a shapeshifter that alot of people have ?
Is it because there is one in WoW or what? I dont see the point in a shapeshifter personally other than for the look of shapeshifting. Now i think the ritualist will be an exciting profession. Seems to be a bit mysterious and im sure people will come up with some awesome builds. So i myself will be starting a Ritualist char when factions comes out.

I'll second that, I prefer a game that have its own unique class rather than following the trend of other games. Can anyone think a game that have the class as unique as the mesmer class ?

Lefaras
20-01-2006, 07:08
I'll second that, I prefer a game that have its own unique class rather than following the trend of other games. Can anyone think a game that have the class as unique as the mesmer class ?
Me too..

The closest game i think that has their own's unique class is prob Dofus( a Eur MMO Tactical RPG)

Sera
20-01-2006, 08:39
The Mesmer is unique.

WingspanTT
20-01-2006, 17:18
The Mesmer is stolen from the MMO, Magic: the Gathering. It is the profession Blue, MonoBlue, etc. Really, I'm serious.

COUNTERSPELL MANA LEAK POWER LEAK PWNAGE.

I think the Rit is a great addition. If you want a shapeshifter, plz go play D2:LoD again. I will even give you a free Ravenlore... pssh. Ritualist is going to be VERY annoying/funny.

Doyle
20-01-2006, 21:13
The Mesmer is stolen from the MMO, Magic: the Gathering. It is the profession Blue, MonoBlue, etc. Really, I'm serious.

COUNTERSPELL MANA LEAK POWER LEAK PWNAGE.

I'm surprised there haven't been more threads about this (although there probably were a lot way back when before I started playing), since it's almost a direct parallel:

Mesmer = Blue
Elementalist = Red
Ranger = Green
Necro = Black
Warrior = White

The only interesting thing is that they took White's healing and made a separate class out of it (the monk). Can you imagine how strange the game would be if the warriors were also the healers?

[/hijack]

infernotsu
20-01-2006, 21:37
lol ive been into magic for 6 years now and ive playing guild Wars since this summer, and my friends and i have discussions like this all the time

Too Hot Fo You
20-01-2006, 22:39
I'm definately looking forward to assassin and ritualist, great potential, I can think of a lot of exciting builds already, for tombs and gvg. With factions comes the diversion into pvp and a lot of fun :D
Enjoy it!

Gorani
20-01-2006, 22:42
But than the Ri do look alot like a shaman.....

I don't care about this WoW-Shaman-Shapeshifter talk, but.....

Hey! Those ethno looks are hot ! (and the female character model does not look like she has to be given some food, like the Assassin)

GormWolfblade
20-01-2006, 23:33
now that I've tried Ritualist I'm more excited than ever to play one in retail :grin:

Nobleman Azure
21-01-2006, 05:44
both ritualist and assassin are impressive to me. Although im disappointed assassins do not use adrenaline. Soothing images and sympathetic visage will really just be for one type of class.

Oh well not a big loss, spirit shackles is always there.

Anyways im interested in ritualist the moment i saw it cast as spell/summon spirits. They look like theyre really so into it lol.

Vexed Arcanist
21-01-2006, 08:04
After more play with the basic Rit/Mo and a bit more dabbling with the basic Rit/Me, I gotta say the spirits are where it is at. Their heals are fine even if a bit slow and all that, but the skills that utilize those spirits are just ...very nice. The fact the spirits have to be killed in order to remove this "exploit" just means less pressure on your team. I like the Assassin and all and with the right (nasty) combos with other professions I am sure it will make it's mark, but the Ritualist has me hooked.

Lun
21-01-2006, 08:24
I like the ritualist -I want a new mystic spellcaster that summoned stuff, and the ritualist is sorta what I had hoped for.
Also, now I can create a healer character that doesn't look dorky....

Buddah
21-01-2006, 16:39
Well I am sure mesmers will love this class. They will not be the most misunderstood class anymore.
After [playing Ritualist some it's safe to say the mesmer will still have that title.

I'm surprised there haven't been more threads about this (although there probably were a lot way back when before I started playing), since it's almost a direct parallel:

Mesmer = Blue
Elementalist = Red
Ranger = Green
Necro = Black
Warrior = White

The only interesting thing is that they took White's healing and made a separate class out of it (the monk). Can you imagine how strange the game would be if the warriors were also the healers?

[/hijack]It's been a few months since the las thread doing that comarison.

As whole I'm looking forward to the Ritualist, more so than the assassin. It won't be the ritualist's healing or damaging that carries it. It'll be it's defensive powers. I'm impressed with Union and Shelter already. Combine with a few other spirits or just outright heal and you can go a long way.

Azgalon
21-01-2006, 16:46

They didn't steal anything.

Influences are found all over.

Icy Spicy
21-01-2006, 17:44
can we stop talking about stealing this and that from other game? seriously, if you are so original, why dont YOU come up with a unquie new class that NO OTHER GAME have and fits in guild wars... who cares if they stole the name from other classes, or ideas... did Guild Wars stole the bow idea from medevil archers? Guild Wars didnt invent bow, they stole it from somewhere didnt they? geez

MasterNightfall
21-01-2006, 18:44
The Middle Ages stole the idea of the bow from Vin Diesel.

Eligor
21-01-2006, 23:02
Ritualists wouldn't shapeshift because theyre RITUAList. They perform rituals, healing, summoning, etc. Not transform into werewolves and bears like druids.

Radical Dreamer
22-01-2006, 01:20
I kinda wish they would get rid of the Assasin and give us a Shapeshifter I dont care what they call it.

Azgalon
22-01-2006, 01:36
I am looking forward to Ritualist very much.

aeonbahamutzero
22-01-2006, 05:38
i was considering not buying chapter 2 until i played the ritualist. an amazingly fun class that combines a little bit of everything from most classes. they definately will play a vital role in the way the game is play once it comes out for PvE as well as in PvP

Kjentei
22-01-2006, 07:16

Stop whining.

The title of this thread is disruptive. Why? Here's why:

The only reason you don't want Ritualists is because you wanted some other class.
You are not optimistic enough to realize that the class you request might eventially come to Guild Wars in a later Chapter (3 or onwards).
You assume that Ritualist are the best profession to be replaced because you assume that Chapter 2 is all about the Assassins. Take a look at some of the Ritualists skills, some of them are amazing.
You judged the new professions by their appearance and their main role.
You have based the Ritualist class on it's pre-set PvP-only builds.
And finally, you were unable to be optimistic enough to try making a thread about the class you wanted politely and what it's role and some of its skills would be.

Of course, I'll admit, not everyone will like the Ritualists.

Doyle
22-01-2006, 08:53
Of course, I'll admit, not everyone will like the Ritualists.

Just like not everyone likes mesmers.

Deldda Kcarc
22-01-2006, 09:26
But everyone loves Barney, right? Why didn't we get the pink dinosaur class instead of these stupid shaman wannabees? Think about it -- "I Love You! You Love Me!" could have been the perfect IWAY-countering shout. But now it will never be. :cry:

dkar
22-01-2006, 15:49

Ok, what is so fantastic about this shapeshifting if it has no practical purpose?

I think all these "shapeshifting" threads are coming out of ex-WoW players so lets be honest: In WoW shaman could shapeshift in wolf's form and run away with 1% health. Well, it was one of the most hated classes for that reason.

Basically if shapeshifting overpowers character in such a way it will unbalance the whole game (and that was what you probably hoped for).

And adding shapeshifting for just visual purpose? Well, you will be bored after watching it thousand times and during the battle noone cares about your shapeshifting perfomance.

SoulsOfEternity
23-01-2006, 00:15
I find the Ritualist such an entertaining class, more so than the Assassin.

However, I've always wanted to see an Alchemist or Chemist of some sort, always had the picture of some crazy guy sitting in the back kinda dancing around with potions and purple smoke flowing this way and that.

And as for the shapeshifting stuff, I guess it'd be alright, kinda like carrying charm animal you'd have some form of shapeshifting, and then skills that apply to that form. Wouldn't neccessarily hafta be another warrior either, could shapeshift into a beaver or something, ya know?

Anywho, I quite enjoy the Ritualist, now I'm gonna start at the time and wait for the expansion to come out...