PDA

View Full Version : Player Feedack on Assassin

Смерть
20-01-2006, 16:04
Im starting this thread as a general discussion of what you have liked or disliked about the assassin class so far.

To start things off;

Im kind of wierded out by how the assassin's continuous run (I think it very cool though, don't get me wrong). And I do like the little tuck the assasin does before they start to run.

Idea: Have the assassin run normally like any other class then when they are in range of targeting enemies have them run in thier stealth style. Would look a lot cooler if they ran like that for the kill instead of speed skating around Tyria.

~CMEPTb :innocent:

Pub-O
20-01-2006, 16:24
Ok, I won't go into detail about their skills because I haven't tested this probably.

1. Animation = I belive that the Assasin animations is the best and coolest in the entire game. Both when they attack, and move. Their stance and run is different from all the other classes which looks very similiar. Assasin got style, looks uniqe and feels fast. I love the roll they can do, and their speed increase were they also change running posture. Animation is above all the other classes in slickness and fluidness. It really gives a sense of individualism to the class, were all the others just "run". Assasin is its own, in a way its probably already most peoples favorites.

2. Looks = I like the generel look of the assasin. But I seriously hope that they will add more hairstyles and faces for the class. Some with no asian inspiration would be great.

3. Armor = Pretty cool. Like the running though they could use some more individualism. The head gear is alright, but I would like to see a hooded cape or something that can hide most of the face so they really feel stealthy. Also.. I think the guild cape looks a bit weird. Have you thought of making it more "slim" so its more shinobi like? it just does not seem very assasin like to have a hugh cape on their back.

4. Weapons = Pretty decent, But I would still like to have seen more weapon types, like a two handed katana, or nunchaku:)
It would also be great to see some martial arts move. Maybe some defensive abillities with kicks or punches!?

Maela
20-01-2006, 17:02
Welllll I had a lot of fun playing the assassin this morning. After fiddling with a RT for about 20 minutes, then deciding to belatedly farm faction, I watched many assassins slink out onto the field to die horrible, horrible deaths, because I was admiring how cool they were. Then I did it properly and decided to give assassin a go. But I didnt want to play a combo 'sin, i wanted to be the kid that palyed with the attribute no one really likes.. well folks i'm sure many peopel will tell you now that deadly arts are called deadly for a reason.. naturally.. I just like wierd builds.. like that w/e pure caster.. that was sure fun.. er..

[summary @ 5 am] assassin = teh (undernourished) sex,
RT = Can't sleep, spirits will eat me,
Core classes ftw-ing it in random pvp? Delicious.

Well, im sleep deprived enough, and I'll only sleep an hour or too so
keep up the good work a-net, this expansion is looking to be extremely promising.. I hate PVE

Parker Bsb
20-01-2006, 17:07
... well at least I know I'm not the only sleep-deprived-dec24'th-high-on-candy-cane-sugar-person on the forums :grin:

Doyle
20-01-2006, 17:51
... well at least I know I'm not the only sleep-deprived-dec24'th-high-on-candy-cane-sugar-person on the forums :grin:

I hear ya -- I didn't understand 80% of what Maela said... :undecided:

flexiboy
20-01-2006, 17:56
i love the assasin i cant get anough of it, i playing a combo sin and it rules, but what did maela say? i heard deadly arts and thats all

damkel
20-01-2006, 18:07
The running style is amazing, i love that little tumble they do after they get a speed boost.

The weapons combo skill system is amazing!!! gets some getting used to but is pretty decent.

*drool* made a female assassin with infiltrators armour. wow. she's so beautiful i could cry. :cry:

THANKS ANET!!!!

Longasc
20-01-2006, 18:10
I did not like much about the assassin. The Ritualist had more appeal, but let's stay on topic:

The animations of the assassin are clumsy. And this just does not fit an assassin.

I am also not really excited about the combo moves, they seem to be a ripoff of the wow combo point system.

But well, what can I say - so far I only enjoyed the shadow step, strange skill that opens the way for many new tactics.

The Icons are a bit hard to read, they look very similar unfortunately. But this does not matter, so far I experienced VERY linear button presses. Too much combos IMO, we already only have 8 slots.

As I play with a Beta Account and PvP not really floats my boat, I could only unlock a few skills and would like to hear from people who combined the Assassin with other unlocked skills on their main!

fefe
20-01-2006, 18:15
I like the look of the assassin, and intend to make one for pve when I get the chance... actually, I already have an A/Me build in mind that I think could be a lot of fun to play. :)

And yes, I don't like the constantly-running animation. It looks cool when you're using a haste skill like shadow step, but at normal movement speed, it looks pretty bad. :( Still and all... I'm looking forward to playing her in PvE. Not gonna be doing the pvp thing any time soon.

GrimShade
20-01-2006, 18:21
Running one a bit was fun, and I think they will work better when not everyone is playing them. I was still getting the hang of things when I had to leave for work, so given some times to think about it, I’ll like her better. She will make a great strike character with the teleport back to your original spot after the speed is over. This way she runs in does the combo and is out. Play style is too different from the warrior to make a comparison, so I have to get use to her more.

Not a big fan of the running, she is too lop sided when she runs. The duck and roll is funky, but the heavy to one side run is odd. I would prefer a crouched determined run rather than a heavy run that looks like I must strike from the right…

Some of the hair styles were a little boring, the armor was cool, and did you check her out without the armor…HOT. I love Sai so that will always be a weapon of choice for me.

One thing I want to play with is it seems that once she runs in and does her combo she needs to re-charge. A ranged weapon would be good to keep damaging while the delay is in. I mean in one attack you use at least 4 of the skills (at least for the trial build), so you get used up quick. Some throwing knives would be good to have for after the combos…

Since you do seem to put in a lot of conditions, when I get home I’ll bring along the mez skill that causes damage whenever they suffer from or recover from a condition. That might make things more interesting.

The Experimentor
20-01-2006, 18:30
Im starting this thread as a general discussion of what you have liked or disliked about the assassin class so far.

To start things off;

Im kind of wierded out by how the assassin's continuous run (I think it very cool though, don't get me wrong). And I do like the little tuck the assasin does before they start to run.

Idea: Have the assassin run normally like any other class then when they are in range of targeting enemies have them run in thier stealth style. Would look a lot cooler if they ran like that for the kill instead of speed skating around Tyria.

I agree. I love the ninja dash they do.

But here's what's eating me: do Assassins actually move faster than everyone else? :undecided: It was one of the first things I noticed when I started playing. Their base movement covers a lot of ground pretty quickly. I don't know if it's just the animation or whatnot, but they do seem faster than any other profession I've tried.

botrytis
20-01-2006, 18:41
I feel the Assassin is a D 2 rip-off and nothing more. What a ridiculous class. It bears no resemblence, in style, to other GW characters. I think, if they want to make an assassin, then please re-think it.

I actually found assassins pretty easy to kill.

Dave

Vexed Arcanist
20-01-2006, 20:21
The tumble run is called a Barrel Roll typically.

Overall I found the pregen Assassin to be lacking in damage. I had thought they would have a high damage output but be a bit frail. I must admit I have not tried Zealous Daggers and I did have some energy crunching. I am also considering the potentcy of Dark Arts type Assassins that may or may not even use daggers. Anyone try a less melee oriented Assassin?

cynn shadowstalker
20-01-2006, 20:41
i really like the looks of the assassins and there postures/stances

BLAHHH
20-01-2006, 20:50
I feel the Assassin is a D 2 rip-off and nothing more.

And guess what, D2 got all their ideas from Drakon. In fact hell, basically every RPG and MMORPG made in the last ten years has nicked stuff from Drakon, so big whoop.

What a ridiculous class. It bears no resemblence, in style, to other GW characters.

That'll be the whole, you know, "coming from an entirely different part of the world" thing. And actually it bears a great similarity to Rangers and Necros - with a bit of Ele thrown in as well I think. When I'm walking around the Great Temple I'm finding it hard to tell who is who now just by looking at them, I have to either get to a few feet of them to tell or I have to click on 'em to find out. At any reasonable distance away the Assassin fits in perfectly well.

In fact that can sum up my feelings on the Assassin at the moment - it fits in perfectly well, nothing needs changing. More hair and face styles would be nice (since the existing classes have more I'm assuming there will indeed be more when GW:F is actually released), but other than that, 's all good. My one and only slight gripe at the moment would be energy issues, since you seem to need to use a lot of skills in quick succession it seems very easy to run out of energy, and so far I'm finding it rather hard to pace myself energy-wise yet still be effective. mayeb I'm just too used to playing as a Ranger with a ton of points in Expertise, but meh, it seems a bit stupid to me how the Assassin manages to run out of energy so quickly. Either they need to give the assassin an extra point of energy regen, up how much energy getting a critical hit bags you (at the moment it's 2 per critical, 3 or 4 would be better, still wouldn't allow Assassin to have nigh-on infinite energy but would let them keep going a few seconds more), or their skills need to cost less/they need a bigger base pool. I've played through as all the classes now at some point or another and so far none of them seem to have energy problems as bad as the Assassin has, which seems silly to me when they're meant to be masters of "killing quickly and efficiently" - I don't call one string of attacks that do 1/3 a health bar of damage plus a condition or two, then having to run away to recover energy as being very 'efficient'.

But hey-ho, at least they look cool. If all else fails, they're always leave a beautiful corpse.

liketorock
20-01-2006, 21:02
i love the assasin but i hate pvp so i just want the pve assasin to work,that running move is pretty cool,the one where it will teleport u back:fortuneteller:

GrimShade
20-01-2006, 21:08
Energy issues seemed to bother me a bit too, but I was approaching her as I was a warrior. My tank can get in and keep going forever with the combination of energy and adrenalin. He is meant to do that, he is a Warrior. This girl is an Assassin and thus should be approached as such, she gets in, delivers a punch and doesn’t have much staying power. She has the ability to cast her speed, which at the end brings her back to the position, get in and make a bunch of chain/critical hits, and then at the end of it she can be back at a safe position behind the skirmish line.

She is a new design and needs to be approached differently. I was originally going to complain about this, but then decided to give her a shot playing that way before I complained that she didn’t work like my warrior did. Guess that is why you would take a Warrior over an Assassin.

Смерть
20-01-2006, 21:13
But hey-ho, at least they look cool. If all else fails, they're always leave a beautiful corpse.

And a beautiful corpse creates a beautiful blood well...(necro humor there for you).

I really like some of the assassin armors I am seeing. Saw one that reminded me of Necro 15k Tormentors, but with more sythe-like blades. I also agree with your comment BLAHHH on the assassin fitting in. I too had to get within a few feet of some to see what class they were. Those assassin masks get me confused with rangers sometimes, but look neat.

Looks to be an interesting interupter.

Can't wait for the Expansion this Spring to fully test a more polished version.

Thanks Anet for this free betta!

~CMEPTb:innocent:

Patccmoi
20-01-2006, 21:16
And guess what, D2 got all their ideas from Drakon. In fact hell, basically every RPG and MMORPG made in the last ten years has nicked stuff from Drakon, so big whoop.

That'll be the whole, you know, "coming from an entirely different part of the world" thing. And actually it bears a great similarity to Rangers and Necros - with a bit of Ele thrown in as well I think. When I'm walking around the Great Temple I'm finding it hard to tell who is who now just by looking at them, I have to either get to a few feet of them to tell or I have to click on 'em to find out. At any reasonable distance away the Assassin fits in perfectly well.

In fact that can sum up my feelings on the Assassin at the moment - it fits in perfectly well, nothing needs changing. More hair and face styles would be nice (since the existing classes have more I'm assuming there will indeed be more when GW:F is actually released), but other than that, 's all good. My one and only slight gripe at the moment would be energy issues, since you seem to need to use a lot of skills in quick succession it seems very easy to run out of energy, and so far I'm finding it rather hard to pace myself energy-wise yet still be effective. mayeb I'm just too used to playing as a Ranger with a ton of points in Expertise, but meh, it seems a bit stupid to me how the Assassin manages to run out of energy so quickly. Either they need to give the assassin an extra point of energy regen, up how much energy getting a critical hit bags you (at the moment it's 2 per critical, 3 or 4 would be better, still wouldn't allow Assassin to have nigh-on infinite energy but would let them keep going a few seconds more), or their skills need to cost less/they need a bigger base pool. I've played through as all the classes now at some point or another and so far none of them seem to have energy problems as bad as the Assassin has, which seems silly to me when they're meant to be masters of "killing quickly and efficiently" - I don't call one string of attacks that do 1/3 a health bar of damage plus a condition or two, then having to run away to recover energy as being very 'efficient'.

If you didn't mod the assassin template, think of it this way.

Have you tried to play a warrior without an increase attack speed stance and at only 12-13 in their weapon? Their damage is not higher than the assassin at all.

For Energy, an IAS stance and Zealous is just crazy. Also makes you crit more often, so you get more out of it. Critical Eye can help your energy (and damage) quite a bit too.

Some Assassin combo hurt me pretty hard. Keep in mind that their 'combo' only takes 2-3 seconds to do and recharges relatively fast, it couldn't seriously take 75% out of someone on its own.

The template seem to be fairly concentrated on conditions and teleport, etc. Look through the skills and some can inflict some serious damage.

Vexed Arcanist
20-01-2006, 23:07
If you didn't mod the assassin template, think of it this way.

Have you tried to play a warrior without an increase attack speed stance and at only 12-13 in their weapon? Their damage is not higher than the assassin at all.

For Energy, an IAS stance and Zealous is just crazy. Also makes you crit more often, so you get more out of it. Critical Eye can help your energy (and damage) quite a bit too.

Some Assassin combo hurt me pretty hard. Keep in mind that their 'combo' only takes 2-3 seconds to do and recharges relatively fast, it couldn't seriously take 75% out of someone on its own.

The template seem to be fairly concentrated on conditions and teleport, etc. Look through the skills and some can inflict some serious damage.

Damn Pat...must...try...apply poison...maybe...Tiger's Fury...

Maela
20-01-2006, 23:23
The tumble run is called a Barrel Roll typically.

Overall I found the pregen Assassin to be lacking in damage. I had thought they would have a high damage output but be a bit frail. I must admit I have not tried Zealous Daggers and I did have some energy crunching. I am also considering the potentcy of Dark Arts type Assassins that may or may not even use daggers. Anyone try a less melee oriented Assassin?

<3 Deadly Arts. I play a A/E deadly/geomancer with bastardised daggers and mm sugar.

Trevor
21-01-2006, 01:24
Anybody else notice that the assassin doesn't hold the weapon in his right hand sometimes, it'll pop out of his grip and appear on the outer side of his hand. It happens when he's standing still. I noticed it when I was building my pvp character and then it continued when he was actually being played.

Telkandore
21-01-2006, 03:05
Spirit Shackles > All Assassins

Dukan
22-01-2006, 04:24
The assassin run looks like a weak attempt at making anime-style Ninja Scroll type character movements.

It doesn't work. It looks extremely unbalanced in the regular run. Strafing and backing it's just plain silly. Seeing other assassins in the game looks like a bunch of drunks trying to get somewhere quick without falling over.

The only time that shoulder-down, hunched run looks ok is when they have a speed boost. It should be limited to that. Give them a regular run, then have them crouch and run when using a sprint.

Azgalon
22-01-2006, 04:30
Lovely Running Animation (http://rapidshare.de/files/11513274/AvocGlitchAssassin2006PvPEvent.wmv.html)

Akisame Kiyoraba
22-01-2006, 04:48
The main problem i believe about the assassins right now is well, the base template sucks, the skills don't synchronize into eachother. It involves no energy management skill, has a chain that requires a hex to be effective, (But does not come built in with a hex, might be an issue for new players), and it demands a much higher energy toll than any other build, since the elite recharges all the skills instantly. It basically makes you a spare corpse for the necros, until you have enough faction to get some of the more efficient skills, but you'd need to get very lucky with a random team to even get that much faction, without having dozens of warrior skills already unlocked to supplement the assassin part.

With the right combination, assassins can be absolutely devastating, but they suffer the same flaw as warriors, if not worse. Since Assassins don't have adrenaline as an alternative, power denial spells, in addition to a blind, or defensive stance, will completely shut the assassin down. Although versatile A/Ms will come to rise, when the retail version of the expansion comes.

Although their teleport skills are great for caster primaries, its almost comical to see the melees chase the monk across the map.

Dukan
22-01-2006, 09:30
Lovely Running Animation (http://rapidshare.de/files/11513274/AvocGlitchAssassin2006PvPEvent.wmv.html)
Lovely, indeed. Thanks for that.

Now, see... I think that looks WAY better, seeing the assassin run normally, then going into that ninja run when sprinting. Otherwise they just look like they're pushing against something invisible all the time.

FireballX
22-01-2006, 10:19
That is an awesome run with that fellblade.

Perhaps instead of gripping the 2 blades tightly, let the arms kind of hang loose while sprinting? So while the assassin is rushing forward the arms hang to the side, not limp but not held close to the body. That'd be a pretty good animation.

Lefaras
22-01-2006, 14:26
I love everything abt the assasin(the animation, looks everything) and i like the skill combo system. However, the critical strike dmg for the assasin really need a buff. i was very disappointed when one of my critical dmg is only a miserable 13......

Azgalon
22-01-2006, 16:31
Gotta love the Horns of the Ox animation! :)

Try it out, very "flashy" compared to the regular Warrior slash!

Gangrel
22-01-2006, 16:32
The main problem i believe about the assassins right now is well, the base template sucks, the skills don't synchronize into eachother. It involves no energy management skill, has a chain that requires a hex to be effective, (But does not come built in with a hex, might be an issue for new players), and it demands a much higher energy toll than any other build, since the elite recharges all the skills instantly. It basically makes you a spare corpse for the necros, until you have enough faction to get some of the more efficient skills, but you'd need to get very lucky with a random team to even get that much faction, without having dozens of warrior skills already unlocked to supplement the assassin part.

With the right combination, assassins can be absolutely devastating, but they suffer the same flaw as warriors, if not worse. Since Assassins don't have adrenaline as an alternative, power denial spells, in addition to a blind, or defensive stance, will completely shut the assassin down. Although versatile A/Ms will come to rise, when the retail version of the expansion comes.

Although their teleport skills are great for caster primaries, its almost comical to see the melees chase the monk across the map.

Mirror stance is a hex. but yeah a blind will just make them quit... No sense in walking around, doing nothing, or just getting killed... Why oh why do the prebuilds always suck?? And how about the R/Ri ?They give him 11 expertise, and 2 defensive stances, neither of them being whirling defence..

Do these people play PvP ?? Test the build before giving them out. Unless the preson is standing still, not even trying to defend, they builds just suck.. Or do you want to incourage people do get good skills for the builds, by makeing the prebuilds suck?