PDA

View Full Version : Assasin: The new most annoying class?

Canadian Bacon
21-01-2006, 01:28
I have just spent a solid 10 minutes evading capture via Shadow Step in the random arenas. I actually had to tell the team to wait where I used it so they could kill me lol. Great fun for me, but this will get annoying very fast I think. Discuss.

Izaru
21-01-2006, 01:47
:D I just go in random arena with shadow skills let my team die, and I play tag with the other team. All shadow = annoying for other team, fun and funny for you :D

Zeittotschlager
21-01-2006, 01:47
It will sort itself out in time. Once the game is out and more people get a feel for what the new classes are doing, the counters will spring up.

I just wish they had given us UAS for the event... why put all the skills out there for us to play with and test them if it'll take us all weekend just to unlock handfull of them... Seems silly to me.

Deldda Kcarc
21-01-2006, 01:59
Trap the location where the Assassin's Shadow Step begins and it will be gg.

listen
21-01-2006, 02:00
no idea could be just a bad idea or just to let us see how it is like.

Kjentei
21-01-2006, 02:09
I think you can be right. Assassins do have that general "annoying" sense about them, maybe because they tend to just attack and attack and attack. Luckily, they're very vulnerable to certain hexes (the ones that used to work well on Warriors, now work brilliantly on Assassins), e.g. Balthazar's Aura, Shield of Judgement*, Empathy. Though I have noticed that conditions don't work as well on Assassins as they do other classes.

Bilateralrope
21-01-2006, 02:15
Trap the location where the Assassin's Shadow Step begins and it will be gg.
Yes, if you see them cast shadow step, you know where they will be soon.

Much like overtrapping the res shrine in GvG, just before a team respawns

listen
21-01-2006, 02:17
they can be hell of an runner for sure

look at all their running skills

hexex that slow assasins down though really hurts.

spne
21-01-2006, 02:17
With my standard build of W/E with Axe. I managed to **** through every assassin i found on the random arenas o_O With Rt, a Me and a Ele, we managed to **** groups in 30 secs. Then we found another "normal" group and got owned after 17 minutes of running around trying to get a fleeing Mo/A xD

People are starting to overuse assassins. It's a good class, but not good for tank. And cant outdamage a warrior on one-to-one. I understand the use of the assassin, but people are thinking that they are Jet Li or Jackie Chan and attacking everything on sight.

The assassin can be a nice spiker, but he can't tank. My axe usually was giving 70-100 damage on Eviscerate / Executioners.

What i'm trying to say is: Don't get too excited. I was seeing groups of four Assassins. And that's lame. GW is about teamplay and balance. I understand that most people want to know the new classes better.. but.. don't get too excited or you can ruin the experience.

Just my two cents.
Sorry for my bad english xD

Kjentei
21-01-2006, 02:36
Yes, Iagree that teams with lots of Assassins in them, don't go so well. When playing Random Arenas, very soon after the new professions had been introduced; it was actually my Me+A+R+N team that beat 10 other teams in under a minute (except the 9th one), and all of them were flawless except the 9th one.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Vashekos/pvp1.jpg
I found that against teams that had a lot of Assassins in them were the easiest, and against teams with a good balance and at least 1 Ritualist healer were the hardest to beat (hence the 9th one we almost lost).

When I had a A+A+Rt+N team, we won 8 times, but only because I had to leave. With this team, the two Assassins focus-fired, whilst I spirit-spammed (not healing spirits, they were damage spirits), and the Necromancer just dealt damage.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Vashekos/pvp2.jpg

So my full point is that, yes, balanced teams are best(except in tombs, of course) and Assassins are almost the worst class I've seen to be in a full group, but then again, most of them had the same A/W build.

MixedVariety
21-01-2006, 02:43
hexex that slow assasins down though really hurts.

That's what I'm wondering about. I'll have to try something like Ethereal Burden on them with my mesmer and check it out.

Seeker of Something
21-01-2006, 02:44
People are starting to overuse assassins.

Of course they are. Assassins and Ritualists will be locked again Sunday night so they're trying them out while they can. The demographics of Random Arena during a preview highlighting two new classes are going to be a bit skewed towards those classes...

Ghodsi
21-01-2006, 03:36
i just do to assassins the same i do to rangers. good old shack and wrack method. assassins dont use any adrenaline, their attack relies on pure energy.

Arkhan The Black
21-01-2006, 03:39
I don't find Assassins annoying but I do dislike the fact that most people use the same build. Hope A.net ads an alternative one during the PvP event.

SepticFlesh
21-01-2006, 03:52
Yhea I think assasins tend to be rather easy to beat with most builds and the thing with shadow step just requires alittle observation, just wait where they used shadows step. simple.

Psyringe
21-01-2006, 04:18
Well, I was in a group of four A/W and (much to my surprise) we scored 3 consecutive wins until one of us dropped out.

A word on the masses of A/W's flooding the arena: Of course there are many people testing them now, to see whether they might want to play one in Chapter 2. For some people this testing may even influence their decision whether they buy the next chapter. So, naturally, we see a lot of Assassins and Ritualists.

And why are there so many A/W's? Well, not everyone who's interested in playing an Assassin would like to play it as an A/W. But if you created a test account (perhaps because you didn't want to delete one of your existing characters), then you have to select a pre-made PvP character, otherwise, you won't have a *single* skill. And there's only one pre-made build with an Assassin primary, and that's the A/W.

Personally, I would have been happy to run an A/N or A/Me, but I just can't unless I either delete one of my present characters (which I won't) or achieve tens of thousands of factions points within three days (which I can't).

I'm a bit frustrated actually, because I can't really test what would interest me. But hey, it's nice from ANet to let us test the new professions in this way in the first place, so I try not to be too disappointed.

xFallenAngel
21-01-2006, 04:26
And cant outdamage a warrior on one-to-one. I understand the use of the assassin, but people are thinking that they are Jet Li or Jackie Chan and attacking everything on sight.

You didn't see a proper damage Sin then. A custom built 16 Dagger Mastery Sin with the right damage skills tears through a warrior like a hot knife through butter ; )

Arutima
21-01-2006, 04:37
was having fun with assassins in the random area earlier

me as necro+ insidieous parasite + spiteful spirit + assassin = dead assassin

IlikeGW
21-01-2006, 04:47
was having fun with assassins in the random area earlier

me as necro+ insidieous parasite + spiteful spirit + assassin = dead assassin

You and every necro on earth. CLEVAR!!11!

(Seriously, people are trying a new class and it's kind of annoying to see all the 'how fast can I exploit the premade skills they're stuck with' fest)

But as far as assasins I think it's way too early to get a sense of the class. Their combos are pretty wicked but on the other hand they seem wayyyyy more vulnerable than a tank.

Arutima
21-01-2006, 04:55
try the premade build when the upgrade went off..and i really hated it. but sincei unlocked some assassin skills, and changed my secondary, it is better, more better

Bo Jackson
21-01-2006, 05:04
I think degen would work real good on them.

big big hans
21-01-2006, 05:34
emphaty+SS+WW= gg

Longasc
21-01-2006, 10:25
The best thing if an assassin is attacking you with Shadowstep:

Go to the point where from where they started their shadow step and

1. either wait
2. let them follow you to their own starting point

they have then basically wasted their "quick retreat", as they fight at the point they will teleport to / started at.

Akkarin
21-01-2006, 12:32
They can run all they want, but vs gale, there is no escape :P.

CyanBoy
21-01-2006, 13:22
With my standard build of W/E with Axe. I managed to **** through every assassin i found on the random arenas o_O With Rt, a Me and a Ele, we managed to **** groups in 30 secs. Then we found another "normal" group and got owned after 17 minutes of running around trying to get a fleeing Mo/A xD

People are starting to overuse assassins. It's a good class, but not good for tank. And cant outdamage a warrior on one-to-one. I understand the use of the assassin, but people are thinking that they are Jet Li or Jackie Chan and attacking everything on sight.

The assassin can be a nice spiker, but he can't tank. My axe usually was giving 70-100 damage on Eviscerate / Executioners.

What i'm trying to say is: Don't get too excited. I was seeing groups of four Assassins. And that's lame. GW is about teamplay and balance. I understand that most people want to know the new classes better.. but.. don't get too excited or you can ruin the experience.

Just my two cents.
Sorry for my bad english xD

How can you be surprised? It's a new class. We need to test it. Only been here for 2 days... And you think the Assassin suck against a warrior?

You just dont get what testing mean...

Canadian Bacon
21-01-2006, 14:33
I play A/W because I prefer it to all the other premades. Unfortunately, I'm really not impressed by the riualist at this point. I do, however, recognize that they are a good class when played correctly.

As for Assasin vs. Warrior, I generally do ok. I run into problems with stances big time. Ranger/Warrior stances that make me miss and heavy degen are definitely my worst enemies. But if I make contact on all hits, I can be pretty devestating.

Assasins definitely rely on healers when they get into trouble. They really have no decent form of self-healing, which is a bit sad. They can, however, use Shadow Step to walk in, lay down their skill combo, and poof out. Very effective unless the target is smart enough to have observed where you first activated the skill.

Just like warriors, the Assasin excells at making a nice sushi from the faces of elementalists (except the ones with aoe fire like inferno!) and other quishy casters that don't self-heal. Unlike warriors, they can't stick around long under heavy fire.

If nothing else, I think the Assasin has some of the best armor yet!

spne
21-01-2006, 14:36
I understand that people are testing, i'm just tired of beeing the only non-assassin on the random arenas ;P

Icy Manipulator
21-01-2006, 15:58
I still play my good old Elementalist Spiker. I'm still unlocking chapter one goodies. I'm not spending my hard earned faction on chapter two stuff.

Necromas
21-01-2006, 16:01
Shadow step owns for flag running, you can shadow step, and time it so that you teleport back right after placing the flag, and then you can run back to base and grab the next flag right away.

remmeh
21-01-2006, 16:35
Shadow step owns for flag running, you can shadow step, and time it so that you teleport back right after placing the flag, and then you can run back to base and grab the next flag right away.

^^ never thought of that one...

but basically any build you can think of to counter warriors, counters assassins.

but some work better like R/W hammer :laugh:

Latbec
21-01-2006, 16:36
You didn't see a proper damage Sin then. A custom built 16 Dagger Mastery Sin with the right damage skills tears through a warrior like a hot knife through butter ; )

Well, that's the problem! You cannot make a custom skill bar without grinding for faction to unlock all the skills you need (plus the runes). And how do you know exactly which skill you need since nobody has EVER tried these skill. I would have liked to test extensively the two new classes, but now I have to choose one and grind to unlock a few skills. Not sure what the developers were thinking here in making that special weekend.

MadCatvanHelsing
21-01-2006, 17:09
Originaly posted by Canadian Bacon:
Assasins definitely rely on healers when they get into trouble. They really have no decent form of self-healing, which is a bit sad.

they do, well they have selfhealing, nothing direct but Shadow refuge can be a life saver :D

Canadian Bacon
21-01-2006, 17:09
I still play my good old Elementalist Spiker. I'm still unlocking chapter one goodies. I'm not spending my hard earned faction on chapter two stuff.

You can use the access key to create a seperate account for the preview. The faction isn't shared, so it wont be a waste.

Kala
21-01-2006, 17:12
s with stances big time. Ranger/Warrior stances that make me miss and heavy degen are definitely my worst enemies. But if I make contact on all hits, I can be pretty devestating.

Obviously u would know about mirror stance by now, but also, there is an assassin skill that removes all stances and does extra dmg.

Not sure what the developers were thinking here in making that special weekend.
Yeh the skills should be unlocked.

Also there is another elite skill in the no atrribute section that i think allows the assassin to shadow step to any target. Its one of those -1 energy recovery enchantments but its worth it.

Azgalon
21-01-2006, 17:34
I am certain there will be many deadly Assassin-builds after Chap 2 is released.

For now, people are just experimenting, unlocking skills etc.

-Kaia-
21-01-2006, 18:12
from what i've seen so far the assassin is a hit n run fighter, people who try and stay to fight for long with one will die fast :)