PDA

View Full Version : Assassin in HoH/GvG...

Reikai
21-01-2006, 14:39
Well... the assassin is cool and all, and its a very interesting class to play. I love the combos and their chaining attacks, but I've got one question that I find must be answered. How will the Assassin fair in 8v8 PvP.

4v4 is fine, but its not worth anything. 8v8 is where everything gets going.

For Damage, A warrior well... with strength and all, I find that the warrior can outdamage the assassin, not sure however.

For Interupts? yeah right.

Annoyance? Rangers are better at that, they can deal annoyance from afar.

what WILL they be used for?

Monks can out-heal most assassin attacks, and healing seed just totally owns it. Also, the only real VIABLE assassin build right now is R/A, because of the expertise, allowing you to actually spam attacks, rather than relying on the 7~9? damage strikes you deal with Dual Daggers -_-

Ritualists at least have some potential. R/Rt spirit spam might become a staple soon... but I have yet to see a use for an assassin... anyone want to give me ideas?

Valerria
21-01-2006, 14:57
If nothing else their teleportation skills can be tactically useful. Given that their physical damage is not dependent on adrenaline, and has the potential to ignore blind and evasion even, using them for main damage might not be out of the question either. It's too early at this stage to say, and probably will remain so until actual release.

Reikai
21-01-2006, 15:02
teleportation skills *could* become useful for SECONDARY assassins, but admit it. Ranger's Expertise conserves more enegy than Critical Strikes gives back

Warrior's Strength does more damage that critical Strikes can do.

if you want an assassin, W/A or R/A is the way to go :/ Assassin primarys arn't that great. Decent Seconary class... horrible primary :/

roguebanshee
21-01-2006, 18:52
teleportation skills *could* become useful for SECONDARY assassins, but admit it. Ranger's Expertise conserves more enegy than Critical Strikes gives back

But does Expertise add more damage than Critical Strikes and does Strength save more energy than CS gives back?

xFallenAngel
21-01-2006, 19:23

if you want an assassin, W/A or R/A is the way to go :/ Assassin primarys arn't that great. Decent Seconary class... horrible primary :/

I disagree, with 4 regen arrows(and switching to a Zealous weapon sometimes) I don't have any energy problems with Assasin primary and the possibilty to go up to 16 Dagger Mastery just beats the benefits of R/A Expertise.

MasterNightfall
21-01-2006, 19:36
IMHO, Assasins will be useful for all the clever abilities they have (Say, the attack that removes enchantments, or their special blackout, or their 1/4 second cast defile flesh clone), and their melee damage will be just a side effect of their importance. Much like interrupt rangers contribute some damage to a team, but aren't the bread and butter evis spike warrior.

Tyrus FTW
21-01-2006, 20:37
Aura of Displacement (availability)
Description: When you cast Aura of Displacement, Shadow Step to target foe. When you stop maintaining Aura of Displacement, you return to your original location. This is an elite skill.
Energy Cost: 10 and an arrow of regeneration
Activation Time: 2 Seconds.
Recharge Time: 15 Seconds.
Linked Attribute: None.
Skill Type: Enchantment Spell.

This could revolutionise flag running, not getting to the stand, but getting back to get another flag, or retreating to defend the base against those nasty split teams.

Zingeri
21-01-2006, 20:40
Aura of Displacement (availability)
Description: When you cast Aura of Displacement, Shadow Step to target foe. When you stop maintaining Aura of Displacement, you return to your original location. This is an elite skill.
Energy Cost: 10 and an arrow of regeneration
Activation Time: 2 Seconds.
Recharge Time: 15 Seconds.
Linked Attribute: None.
Skill Type: Enchantment Spell.

This could revolutionise flag running, not getting to the stand, but getting back to get another flag, or retreating to defend the base against those nasty split teams.It's not attribute Aligned, meaning that a W/A could use it better.

charrlover
21-01-2006, 21:03
Teleporting makes you drop the item you are carrying, so please stop posting that assasins will change relic/flag running etc! You think Anet didn't think of that?

AOD Draco
21-01-2006, 21:14
Teleporting makes you drop the item you are carrying, so please stop posting that assasins will change relic/flag running etc! You think Anet didn't think of that?

You obviously didn't read his post well enough so let me rephrase,
You can run the flag to the flag stand and teleport to get another flag saving one return trip, but I think your better off using recall

remmeh
21-01-2006, 21:31
or just use shadow step for flag running (as long as you make it there by the end of the stance)