PDA

View Full Version : Communing Tactics

Fownkaymownkay
22-01-2006, 14:12
So, lets talk about Communing tactics.

Here are some questions for all you Communing Ritualists out there.

Which spirits do you use? In conjunction with what other skills?
Do you use your secondary at all? If so, how?
In what manner do you place your spirits? Grouped up or spread out?

FM

TBMarauder
22-01-2006, 14:19
^ Ninja'd!

Hey FM, mind if I whack this up as a sticky? Thx. ;)

EDIT: I'll make some 'Channeling', 'Restoration' and 'Spawning' stickys too, for us all to post to. - Best to keep the Attr. lines separate methinks ;)

Enosh
22-01-2006, 14:21
one build i thogh of but don't got the faction to test it (changing guilds ftl -.-)

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/8983/dis2dy.jpg

16 (12+1+3) Communing
10 (9+1) Spawning powers
10 (9+1) Restoration Magic

but don't know if i heal them for more then they take dmg (btw: taken the pictures with a mesmer/necro)

NoXy
22-01-2006, 14:39
Enosh, you dont have any energy management in there.

For the placement of the spirits, dont place them in group, spread them so that a single AoE spell cant touch 2 of them.

The easiest way to play a binder is with Ritual Lord, 3 spirits (dmg, heal, whatever) and Boon of Creation for energy renewal. Bring whatever spell you want to avoid your Boon of Creation being interrupted (even Mantra of Resolve with 3 Inspiration is enough).

Enosh
22-01-2006, 14:50
so the two restoration spels out and boon of creation+mantra of resolve in.

Invisible X
22-01-2006, 19:12
Alright so I started out playing Ritualist this weekend and have enjoyed it so far. Though after a lot of testing and studying I think I've put together a pretty effective bonding build for the ritualist to use in the CA or TA. I think this could be effective in the tombs with the right tweaks.

Bonding Ritualist
Protection Prayers: 11
Communing: 10+1+3(14)
Spawning Power: 10+1(11)
Skill Bar:
Boon of Creation
Mighty Was Vorizun
Shelter
Union
Peace and Harmony(elite)
Life Bond
Mend Ailment
Ressurection Signent

How to play:
Alright so first off before the match starts you bond everyone on your team. Then proceed to cast Boon of Creation on yourself, and then Mighty Was Vorizun. After that put Peace and Harmony on yourself and by this time the match should have about started. Go outside and place Shelter and Union spirits, this will give you back energy thanks to Boon of Creation. Now your job is to pretty much stay away from the fight. The last thing you want is an enemy attacking you, though if you get into trouble just run around and your spirits should nullfiy quite a bit of damage. Eventually your skills will run out and you'll have to use Mighty Was Vorizun and Peace and Harmony again, or if your spirits are down Boon of Creation, Mighty Was Vorizun, Peace and Harmony, Shelter, and Union. Mend Ailment is in there to help you or your team out if you have some annoying conditions.

So, any comments or recomendations to make this build more affective. I was thinking about running this alternately as a Mo/Rt but I don't know.

tarutaru
22-01-2006, 19:28
the build works, yes, but you serve no greater purpose than if you were just to have Life Bond on your skillbar. Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's about it.

intersesting idea, though, using a Ritualist bonder, lemme fiddle around with it, see what i can come up with (hopefully by midnight tonight...damn they should have made the preview like 2 weeks...oh well)

Invisible X
22-01-2006, 19:50
Yea, I understand what your saying and feel the same way. I too am still changing around skills and what not. One of the other things I did was put in Martyr and Purge Conditons instead of Peace and Harmony and Mend Ailment.

Too Hot Fo You
22-01-2006, 21:38
Sorry to say, but Ritualists aren't made for bonding. Just play a usual Bonder monk for arenas instead and you will be fine ;)

Doyle
22-01-2006, 23:35
The biggest problem I've found with communing is the recharge time on the skills, so Ritual Lord seems essential. Even taking skills like Doom to take advantage of the slow recharge, many times I found myself with tons of energy and nothing to use it on. When I actually make one of these for PvE, I can see myself looking for a secondary that has a decent spam skill.

Acel
23-01-2006, 09:23
You mean pure communing or what? If so, then just take all those offensive spirits that dont lose health when they attack...

eg.

Pain, Bloodsong, Shadowsong,Disenchantment,Dissonance etc..

SquidgY
23-01-2006, 10:22
My main build this weekend was:

Communing 12+4
Summoning 12+1

Pain
Dissonance
Displacement
Shelter
Union
Shadowsong
Ritual Lord*
Boon of Creation

And it owned. Spirit Pressure builds FTW!

NoXy
24-01-2006, 10:18
i agree spirits pressure builds were quite good, kept owning in TA with a team of Rt/Mo, Rt/Me, A/W, A/W.
As for the no-Ritual Lord communing build, you could go for Rit/Elem with a 5-energ spam skill to suck up some energy.

False Maria
25-01-2006, 00:38
Mine was a Rit/Me. (although I eventually stopped using any Me spells)

I don't quite remember her attributes since I kept deleting and remaking her in order to use unlocked runes and items but I think they were:
Communing 16
Channeling 6
Spawning 12
Restoration 2
and the mesmer ones were all 1 I think.

Skills were:
Pain
Disenchantment
Displacement
Wanderlust (elite)
Brutal Weapon
Splinter Weapon
Vital Weapon
Flesh Of My Flesh

My focus allowed me a 10% chance to cut recharge rates for Communing skills in half, so recharging them wasn't much of an issue for me. It also reduced Communing costs which allowed me to cast all four spirits plus Vital Weapon without having to depend on another skill such as Boon of Creation for mana restoration, if casted in the correct sequence.

Vital Weapon was one of my most useful skill I think because it would grant +168 Hp on the target, allowing other casters in my party to live longer, making assassins useful, tanks to tank longer and it allowed me, in conjunction with a rune that gave me +41 Hp, to give half of my 678 Hps to a fallen team member with Flesh of my Flesh without leaving us both with one foot in the grave.

Splinter Weapon was useful against other spirit-casting rits buecause most have a tendency to cast all their spirits in a tight group or even one on top of the other, allowing someone with splinter weapon to destroy all of them by only attacking one of them (my SW dealt +8 to all adjacent foes for 18 sec).

As for Brutal Weapon, well, adding an extra +14 to your damage never hurt anybody...except on the receiving end I suppose.

MaximumSquid
26-01-2006, 23:25
Communing primary is terrible alone. There simply isn't anyway around this.

The elite skill that makes them recharge faster is worthless because you can only have 1 spirit of the same kind out at a time.

The spirits that cost 25 are nice, but they are extremely risky to summon, and people can just walk away from them.

Communing primary is very limited to group combos

Communing as a secondary skill; however, is amazing. The weapon buffs, and communing spells are very useful.

I had a Mesmer / Rt going for a while during the weekend event, and I was doing very well with Anguished was Linguah (using it once), BInding Chains, and Brutal weapon. Had that with some standard domination and faster casting and I had a solid build.

NoXy
27-01-2006, 20:20
Communing primary is terrible alone. There simply isn't anyway around this.

The elite skill that makes them recharge faster is worthless because you can only have 1 spirit of the same kind out at a time.

I have to say i totaly disagree with that. i dont know where ur playing but in my world it's gonna become the best pressure build there is.

i dont see why having only one spirit of the same type up all the time would be that much of a problem ... i can assure u that 2 dmg spirits+brutal weapon + "utility" spirits is far enough to make it a good build : u blind ppl around u, deal 60 dmg/spirit attack which can go up to (3*15+60=) 105 dmg/attack (or more with ppl around target) and you'r still running around and dont have to do anything ...
tell me how you see this as "terrible"

MaximumSquid
12-02-2006, 23:27
Noxy: The damage over time on the communing spirits is laughable even with the weapon buffs. The spirits can't move, attack extremely slow, and are irritating at best when it comes having them hit proper targets.

Over the PvP weakend I had 9 pain spirits out /w painful bond, and it still sucked. People would come in and just take it. A monk in the backline wasn't even breaking a sweat trying to keep the people getting hit afloat. Most of the time the people had skills on them that were enough to avoid being killed.

Those weapon spells your using to buff your spirits should be casted on another party member.

Those attacking spirits your putting up should be put in the closet, and replaced with the defensive team spirits like shelter, union, and displacement.

JeanDeathwish
18-02-2006, 04:35
Id say the best thing Pain will be used for is having a quick (3 sec) constant spirit up for those skills that improve when near spirits. Im sure thats what its ment for too.
Also I think all spirit build will usually be rather stupid to run unless trying to defend something. Who would run into a party covered by spirits? The Rt spirits are ment to be cast during battle because most of their ranges arnt that good and they wont be of much use anywhere else.

EDIT: This is a strategy forum so Ill post something useful.

How to cast spirits safely:
Positioning is everything. There are obsticles for a reason. To make distracting shot miss, always try to hide when casting spirits. It will protect you while casting and your spirits in battle. Attacking spirits are a bit more difficult to position. They need to be in the open so their attacks hit. So for this use luring. Try to lure your enemys front line away from the back and try to get a cast off. If your enemy doesnt notice you running back a bit you should be able to successfully cast a spirit that can deal some damage to their front line. Also defensive spirits can be placed behind the battle. Have your allies slowly move back to you while you start to get a defensive spirit up and then the spirit should be in your allies range but out of your enemies.
Try to have some slows on your team. If the ranger just wont give up targeting you have a slow (or knockdown) player target them while you get away, then get your spirit up. Also this means try to balance your team to have some of everything so you can be ready for whatever you might encounter.
While your mission is to protect something, spirits have a huge advantage. Place them in range of what youre protecting. The enemy wont want to attack you while you have these out but soon they will have to.
Or, if you become really annoyed with interupts, you could take Mantra of Resolve/Consentration, Tranquil was Tanasen (this will take up your elite) or use a glyph of consentration. Also glyph of sacrifice might work but it will cost you recharge. This could work well with Ritual Lord or Soul Twisting. (correct me if glyphs dont work with binding rituals.)
Watch out. With skills like Signet of Creation that can destroy all your spirits or skills like Wrath from Beyond that could destroy all of your allies, enemy Rts are your biggest threat. Id assume that there might be some spirit control in builds with the combo of Spirit Walk + Consume Soul. Its better to kill off a spirit to benefit your team than to have their team destory it to benefit them. Spirits will always be a two edged sword but with the right strategy you can always have the upper hand. Control your spirits.
In PvE its a whole different game. Dont take too many spirits, as PvE is usually fast paced and you wont be spending much time fighting one group. By the time you get your spirits up, the battle is over. In most areas, spirits might be easy to get up (depending on the enemies) so they can be very useful. In later stages of the game when the enemies are tougher you might want to consider setting up your spirits then have an ally lure in the enemies so you have their benefits through out the match.

Hope this helps a bit.

RilderView
28-02-2006, 18:41
Ritual master

Ritualist/Monk
Level: 20

Spawning Power: 11 (9+2)
Channeling Magic: 10 (9+1)
Communing: 15 (12+3)

Pain (Communing)
Blood Song (Communing)
Shadowsong (Communing)
Destruction (Channeling Magic)
Spirit Burn (Communing)
Boon of Creation (Spawning Power)
Ritual Lord [Elite] (Spawning Power)
Resurrection Signet ()

How would that work? this is a pve build... not pvp..

JeanDeathwish
28-02-2006, 21:31
I think Ritual Lord is out of place in your build bacause 3/4 of your spirits dont need the faster recharge (usually). Also I would like to point out that Spirit Burn is Channeling Magic. GWFreaks says otherwise but they must have gotten confused between the 2 attributes. Also Spirit Boon Strike is Channeling Magic.

Necromas
28-03-2006, 02:27
I was playing a Necro/Rit in the large scale PvP and this is the build I had that used communing.

12 Death Magic
10 Communing
8 Soul Reaping

(no runes, he was an RP char for preview event)

1. Animate Flesh Golem
2. Deathly Swarm
3. Rotting Flesh
4. Pain
5. Shadowsong
6. Union
7. Vital Weapon
8. Flesh of my Flesh

Basically, I would cast pain before the fight if I was on defense, then shadowsong right before their melee players charged in so it blinded them, then I'd cast rotting flesh as they charged to spread some disease, union to give some reliable temporary damage reduction to my allies, then I would rely on my soul reaping to keep my mana up with all the dying spirits, NPCs, minions, and players, as soon as one of my spirits recharged I would recast it, but I would mainly spam rotting flesh to keep the entire enemy team diseased and deathly swarm for AOE damage. I'd also try to keep a flesh golem going. Vital weapon was thrown in because I had an empty slot and no skill points to buy a new skill, it turned out to be pretty useful to cast on myself when I was almost dead and had to retreat to be healed.

This build works well in the large scale PvP maps, because soul reaping basically means infinite mana, and it helps disease spread very easily, and deathly swarm will ALWAYS have 3 enemies in the area to hit (it has a huge AOE). Also, shadowsong is effective against groups because it will alternate between targets and keep 2 or 3 enemies blinded all the time, and union is good because it effects all allies in the area and is basically gauranteed to prevent the max amount of damage, taking some pain off the monks. Although the build lacks in defensive or self healing skills, DP is not an issue in the mass PvP maps.

PvP arenas I used it in:

Allegiance battle: Basically a 12v12 random arena, but you can join in groups of up to 4 to take some of the pain of being completely random. The goal is to capture points on the map that act as rez shrines, or spawn NPC's, and you accumulate points for each captured spot over time.

Defend Fort Aspenwood: It's a Luxon vs. Kurzick, 12v12 random teams mission, in which the Luxons must use their siege turtles and armies of NPC's to breach the fort and prevent the Kurzicks from invoking divine wrath to destroy the Luxon base. Siege turtles (with siege attack that does 500 damage in center of the AOE) and groups of attacker NPC's spawn at regular intervals to attack the base, they attack on 3 sides, and each side has 2 gates, with 1 main gate in the center of the base, at least one side must be breached by the siege turtles so that the main gate can be breached and the base destroyed. The Kurzicks can capture mines and return resources to the base to bolster defender NPC numbers. Since I was Kurzick, I was always on defense (which was to this builds benefit). And it worked well, since there were so many NPC's around my spirits always had targets to attack and rotting flesh spread disease like wildfire. Rotting flesh also worked good against the turtles which had both high AL and damage reduction. This was also the map with the most insane number of soul reaping hits.

The Jade Quarry: I only played this one once, so I dont remember much about it, but it was 8v8 random teams, and the kurzicks had to capture and hold mines so that an NPC could harvest the jade, once we harvested 10 pieces of jade, the battle was won. The other team had a score counter, which I assumed meant the amount of times they prevented the jade from being delivered by killing the NPC.

Erasculio
28-03-2006, 03:04
1. Animate Flesh Golem
2. Deathly Swarm
3. Rotting Flesh
4. Pain
5. Shadowsong
6. Union
7. Vital Weapon
8. Flesh of my Flesh

I used a build similar to this one, with a major differences, I was a Ritualist/Necromancer with Boon of Creation to give me energy. My skills were:

1. Deathly Swarm
2. Animate Flesh Golem
3. Pain
4. Bloodsong
5. Shadowsong
6. Union
7. Boon of Creation
8. Flesh of my Flesh

I would cast the spirits right at the edge of the enemies' aggro zone, then hit them with my staff (the range of the spirit is higher than the range of my staff, so I didn't have to pull the enemies, only hit them). When the first enemy of the zone died I would cast Animate Flesh Golem, and keep the golem around until I was ready to leave. It does nice damage and it's a good tank, so it really helped my build.

No energy problems there, so I decided to replace Deathly Swarm with Animate Vampiric Horror. Well, then I got some energy problems :tongue: , but I could still keep some minions around with all spirits up.

Later I took away the Necromancer skills and used Painful Bonds (very helpful with all the spirits) and Splinter Weapon. It was cool to see that the spirits' hands glow when you cast a Weapon spell on them. That build had better damage than my first one, but defense wasn't so good.

Erasculio

Necromas
28-03-2006, 14:54
I used a build similar to this one, with a major differences, I was a Ritualist/Necromancer with Boon of Creation to give me energy. My skills were:

1. Deathly Swarm
2. Animate Flesh Golem
3. Pain
4. Bloodsong
5. Shadowsong
6. Union
7. Boon of Creation
8. Flesh of my Flesh

I would cast the spirits right at the edge of the enemies' aggro zone, then hit them with my staff (the range of the spirit is higher than the range of my staff, so I didn't have to pull the enemies, only hit them). When the first enemy of the zone died I would cast Animate Flesh Golem, and keep the golem around until I was ready to leave. It does nice damage and it's a good tank, so it really helped my build.

No energy problems there, so I decided to replace Deathly Swarm with Animate Vampiric Horror. Well, then I got some energy problems :tongue: , but I could still keep some minions around with all spirits up.

Later I took away the Necromancer skills and used Painful Bonds (very helpful with all the spirits) and Splinter Weapon. It was cool to see that the spirits' hands glow when you cast a Weapon spell on them. That build had better damage than my first one, but defense wasn't so good.

Erasculio

Like I mentioned, I didn't have the luxury of obtaining enough exp to gain skillpoints on that char so I was stuck with the starting skills.

silencing
28-04-2006, 16:43
Wats a good 2ndary for a ritualist that focuses on channeling and communing. Also wat r some good builds for this type of character.

Aurora Vicious
07-05-2006, 12:22
I've been using this for a while now and it supports the team rather nicely...
(some skill names can have typos cause I'm not at GWs and can't check...)

1. Draw spirit (to move some spirits away from AoE spells and to next battle near by. You can also move ranger spirits)
2. Boon of Creation (Your energy managment)
3. Union
4. Shelter
5. Displacement
6. -Spirit of choise- (for example Shadow song, Pain or Dissonance)
7. Soul Twisting (E) (works also for ranger spirits)
8. Flesh of My Flesh

Communing - 16
Spawning power - 13

With good timed Soul Twisting you can keep one spirit up almost all the time.
Use spirit in 6th slot before the very first battle. Distroy it with Soul Twisting and then use 3, 4 or 5 depending which spirit you want to keep up.
Distroy the spirit which you've choosed right before it dies and use again.
You can also kill other spirits which are nearly dead or some allied ranger spirits.
When you are moving to next battle use ST on one of your spirits there so you don't have to sacrifice nro 6 again and you can use that spirit normally.
You can also move some other spirit(s) to next battle with Draw Spirit.

Remember that you must be able to keep the spirit up for the next 10 seconds when Soul Twisting is recharging. If you doubt that spirit will last that long, cast the spirit when ST is almost recharged.

So what spirit is good for some situation...

-Usually Shelter lasts rather long, but if you are expecting massive damage try to keep it up as much as possible.
-Displacement is nice to keep up when you are facing mostly warriors/rangers/assasins. This spirit dies rather fast so timing with Soul Twisting is very important. If there are loads of foes I suggest you to use Union instead cause the spirit just dies too fast.
-Union is usually the spirit I'm keeping up. When there are casters dealing damage and not so much massive damage this spirit is good. Also when there are loads of warriors/rangers/assasins this spirit is better than Displacement cause it doesnt die so fast.

Zible
17-05-2006, 06:10
I was wondering why no one mentioned Draw Spirit yet. It works great to cast your spirits out of Agro range, then Move them into position with Draw Spirit.

Draw is also usefull to drag along union or shelter or whatever else spirit your allies may cast. With a pair of Rits, you can drag along two spirits easily (those 2/3minute lasting ones) all across the map, making it so you have two less spirits to cast, and can get more spirits up quicker.

It's one of my favorite skills.

But I never thought of using weapon skills on spirits. I'm gonna have to try that.

Erasculio
17-05-2006, 18:38
But I never thought of using weapon skills on spirits. I'm gonna have to try that.
Unfortunately, you won't be able to :sad: One of the changes between the Beta Event and release is that now the Weapon Skills don't work on spirits anymore.

Erasculio

Theiren
17-05-2006, 21:02
I run a Rt/N
with Spawning Power, Communing & Death Magic

Animate Vampiric Horror
Animate Bone Fiend
Blood of the Master
Soul Feast
Boon of Creation
Shelter
Anguished was Lingwah
Flesh of My Flesh

I like the added health that Spawning gives the minions, and the quick spirit call from dropping the urn in combat. Although when running wiht mm's i sub out Death magic for Channeling.

Erasculio
17-05-2006, 23:03
I run a Rt/N
with Spawning Power, Communing & Death Magic

Animate Vampiric Horror
Animate Bone Fiend
Blood of the Master
Soul Feast
Boon of Creation
Shelter
Anguished was Lingwah
Flesh of My Flesh

One thing that would make your offense better, while weaking your defense, would be to replace Shelter and Soul Feast with Death Nova and Taste of Death. With the first, you can make your minions explode, and with the second, you can heal yourself for even more than Soul Feast, without wasting a body, and while triggering a minion Nova explosion.

Erasculio

NetSkay
28-05-2006, 00:35
ummm here is a nice dmg dealing build i have for a ritualist, this build is an awesome combo with a channeling ritualist playing in ur team

Communing 16
Spawning 15

Weapon of Quickening [elite]
doom
pain
bloodsong
disenchantment
dessonance
mighty was vorizun
boon of creation

u can swap weapon of quickening with ritual lord, but i havent because i have not capped ritual lord yet, plus weapon of quickening rechrages skills faster too, dont flame i am not saying its a good skill :P

devilsmom
29-05-2006, 15:31
ok i am doing a new build Rt/R and it is working nice completley

basiclly what you do is put traps around you and your spirits...
and create the spirit that blinds
pain
blood song
shelter
union
trap
the spirit that distrupes or how ever u spell it
1 elite [u chose]
and if i remember correct that it
and yes it works out very well espcially if you are playing against warriors and assassians....
:laugh:

p.s. if u want you can also take some evading skills with you, flash my flash, animal, and some channaling and spawning powers and i find this build great you should try it :D

Wuzzman
04-06-2006, 15:06
Hmmm I usually alternate between rit lord and doom because the two doesn't mix lol. But I'm offensive ritulist healing, nooobs for a living will never be my style.

Vlekje Mai
20-06-2006, 20:12
a build that I have have found to work very well is painfull bond, union, shelter, bloodsong, dissonance, doom, boon of creation, and of course flesh of my flesh.

Once all of the spirits are down you can do mass spike damage using doom, and with painfull bond on bad guys, they drop fast.

CheukKin
06-07-2006, 00:58
umm i got a question. im a spirit spammer, but im not sure which attribute to get to 16. if i just use stuff like union+shelter, does it matter what level they are? the higher level they are, the more hp they get. right? so is it better to have 16 communing or 16 spawning for hp wise?

lavenbb
06-07-2006, 01:38
umm i got a question. im a spirit spammer, but im not sure which attribute to get to 16. if i just use stuff like union+shelter, does it matter what level they are? the higher level they are, the more hp they get. right? so is it better to have 16 communing or 16 spawning for hp wise?

http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=407789

CheukKin
06-07-2006, 02:26
wow that person really went all out with the math there. pretty cool. i undertand now, thanks

Ezra
06-07-2006, 09:06
I currently have this setup for pve:

Pain
Bloodsong
Displacement
Shelter
Union
Ritual Lord
Boon of Creation
Flesh of my Flesh

Doyle
06-07-2006, 15:14
wow that person really went all out with the math there. pretty cool. i undertand now, thanks

Can you tell I have an engineering background? :wink:

Glad it was helpful. :smiley: