PDA

View Full Version : Spawning Tactics

TBMarauder
22-01-2006, 14:28
Thanks to the initiative shown by Fownkaymownkay, I am making this thread for you all to post any Spawning-based tactics and strategies.

Please keep it OT. :)

stueyman
23-01-2006, 22:54
more of a fact than a tactic, and it may or may not be changed. while you cannot directly heal your spirits, you can cast weapons spells on them for some healing.

Echo Darkwynd
24-01-2006, 11:21
Fun skill combos:

Signet of Creation
Description: All spirits and animated creatures in the area gain + 1-6 Health regeneration. After 30 seconds, those spirits and creatures are destroyed.

As Rt/N, build up an army of Bone Minions, which are 2 per corpse and have extra HP due to high Spawning attribute. Use Verata's Sacrifice and Signet of Creation to give them 16 Health Regen then cast Death Nova them all. Send them into battle while counting down from 30 and watch the fireworks. Would work well with Destruction (Channeling).

As Rt/?, you can use this to give constant health regen to your spirits, but you have to keep refreshing it before they die.

Consume Soul
Description: Target touched spirit is destroyed. All allies in the area are healed for 30-198 Health. This is an elite skill.

Go Rt/A for Spirit Walk and Recall (both unlinked). Spirit Walk to enemy spirits that are harmful to your group and destroy them with Consume Soul. Use Recall to return to your group when finished.

Would also be useful to Restoration Ritualists to turn the Sprit's natural death into extra healing, or as self/party heal for Channeling or Communing Ritualists.

Da Si
28-01-2006, 01:28
Not sure if everyone has done this math yet, so I did for you :wink:

The Ritualist, although he can't raise Minions to level 18, can have minions with superior health to the Necromancers (through the use of Spawning Magic).
This require you to max out both Death Magic and Spawning Magic, so there is little room for other skills attributes.

Ritualist/Necromancer
Level 14 Horrors and Fiends have 360[Base Health]+[360 life * (4%*16[Spawning])] = 530.4 Health

Necromancer/Ritualist
Level 18 Horrors and Fiends have 480 life

The drawback is that the Necro creatures do more damage and have a higher AC, but I dont know maybe there could be TANK MMs with Minions and Horror who's sole job is to put melee things between the foe and you.

hotdogtesting
12-02-2006, 22:18
I mentioned this in an older thread, but one excellent use of the ritualist Spawning skills is a complete change of gameplay strategy.

By, summoning you spirits appropriately in a "base" or "pillbox" formation, a player team can change their style of play from "search and destroy" to "lure and destroy". That is, instead of seeking out near groups of aggro, a player can pull the aggro to designated safe points where the ritualist's spirits form a "forward command base" of sorts.

Ideally, you would have two ritualists. One takes care of the offensive spirits and the other the defensive/healing ones.

X=offense spirits
S=support spirits
_=adequate spacing

Pillbox formation:
_X_
X_X
_S_

Base formation:
_X_
_S_
X_X

Metallic Phire
28-03-2006, 13:06
well im sorta a noob to all this, i just got addicted to guild wars over the demo, but i did happen to play a lot as a rit and got a pretty good build. I cast spirit of restoration, pain, and recuperation all in one spot, and just stayed there until they ran out. Pain helped me deal out damage while restoration and recuperation GREATLY healed me. When all 3 spirits were up at the same time, it would usually take 2-3 opponents to kill me. While i stood there, i would hit people from a distance using spear of light, and spirit boon strike. Whenver my spirits ran out, i would immediately re-cast them. Since spirit boon strike heals my spirits, that keeps em alive a bit longer. Spirit boon strike and spear of light both have recharge times of 15. So while they were re-charging, i had some time to regain some more energy. If people did kill off my spirits, i would run away, until i got some more health, then i would cast spirit of restoration, which heals me 101 hp every 4 seconds, which could keep me alive long enough to cast my other two spirits. Once i have restoration and recuperation all set up, i cant start attacking the opponent who was chasing me without worry of dying from too little health.

Necromas
28-03-2006, 15:00
Not sure if everyone has done this math yet, so I did for you :wink:

The Ritualist, although he can't raise Minions to level 18, can have minions with superior health to the Necromancers (through the use of Spawning Magic).
This require you to max out both Death Magic and Spawning Magic, so there is little room for other skills attributes.

Ritualist/Necromancer
Level 14 Horrors and Fiends have 360[Base Health]+[360 life * (4%*16[Spawning])] = 530.4 Health

Necromancer/Ritualist
Level 18 Horrors and Fiends have 480 life

The drawback is that the Necro creatures do more damage and have a higher AC, but I dont know maybe there could be TANK MMs with Minions and Horror who's sole job is to put melee things between the foe and you.

You wont believe how much a difference those 4 levels mean, the difference in damage and armor is insane.

Ace Bear
02-04-2006, 17:36
Whatever you use here make sure to have Draw spirit, it is perfect for moving your spirits around with your group. Recuperation not up yet? Draw Spirit and the old one is in perfect position. Could also be used to warp the spirits away from attacking Warriors(like moving the spirits to the back so that their Wars would have to over extend to get them).

Shinshi
03-04-2006, 16:28
Good to know how to use draw spirit =)

Archangel Raguil
04-04-2006, 00:57
I have a question, rather than a real tactic: Does increasing the level of a spirit increase it's armor level? I was debating whether or not to put more points into the spirit's attribute, or Spawning tactics, as putting more points into the attribute didn't change the effect much, but changed the spirit's level.

zapper
07-04-2006, 18:03
I don't know why you guys like these ritualist the are like weak monks with limitations on movement. To refer to other guys mm comment, yeah ritualist only can make Minnon bombs and never be a good MM cause your Minnons can't hurt anyone also a MM in 12 man group will get more ENERGY and can target corpses faster then you can ever hope to as they should. In pvp my monk can cast group spells for 12 people and a monk out heals any spirits you can summon. Also you can destroy all your spirits with one AOE or one ANTI-SPIRIT spell especially if your spirits don't have any Primary attribute. But I sure enjoy kill you ritualists with 4 hits so please keep making them. Only thing you can maybe do is solo.

Erasculio
08-04-2006, 15:26
Also you can destroy all your spirits with one AOE or one ANTI-SPIRIT spell especially if your spirits don't have any Primary attribute. But I sure enjoy kill you ritualists with 4 hits so please keep making them. Only thing you can maybe do is solo.
Hello, welcome to GWO. Keep in mind that, while everyone here is free to talk about their opinions, we are also asked to do so in a way that isn't aggressive - unlike the above. There are more polite and reasonable ways to say the same.

(Also, keep also in mind we haven't seen the finalized version. Just like the Ritualist had some changes between the PvP Weekend and the last Beta Weekend, it's likely we'll see more changes when Factions is released.)

Erasculio

Archangel Raguil
10-04-2006, 18:55
I don't know why you guys like these ritualist the are like weak monks with limitations on movement.
Only one Ritualist attribute has healing spells. You should brush up on a Ritualist before making sweeping generalizations.

In pvp my monk can cast group spells for 12 people and a monk out heals any spirits you can summon.
"group spells"? Like what? Aegis? Heal Party? Release Enchantments? I believe those are the only monk spells that affect the whole party. The Ritualist can use Life, which can heal everyone in the area for 150 health and it costs only 5 mana, unlike Aegis and Heal Party. Likewise, Recuperation not only has more regeneration then mending, but it works on all teammates in the area as well. Preservation costs only 5 mana, and can heal for 122 every 4 seconds. Those spirits alone make a great add-on to any team, but when you factor in spirits like Union and Shelter (a universal Shielding Hands and Protective Spirit), I really don't think that the Ritualists are that bad as healers at all. Not to mention Mend Body and Soul, which can remove one condition for every spirit you have in the area.

Monks may be able to outheal a Ritualist with one spell, but with Life, Union, Shelter, Recuperation, Preservation, and Ritualist and Monk healing spells available to Ritualists, I don't think you can really diss one.

Also you can destroy all your spirits with one AOE or one ANTI-SPIRIT spell especially if your spirits don't have any Primary attribute.
The ultimate anti-AoE spell was just introduced: Draw Spirit. It teleports a spirit to you. As for an anti-spirit spell, only a few target enemy spirits, and even fewer can hurt more than one. And if you're completely dependent on one spirit and lump all your spirits together, then you're not playing it very well.

Monks aren't that hot without Divine Favor, so why are you even talking about Primary attribute? Those who use spirits are most likely going to have a lot of points in Spawning Power (and that's what this whole thread is supposed to be about!!!).

But I sure enjoy kill you ritualists with 4 hits so please keep making them. Only thing you can maybe do is solo.
Heh, whatever man. I doubt anyone will not make a Ritualist based on your opinion here. The first thing you have to remember is that not all Ritualists are Healers or MM. And by the way... if Ritualists were dying in 4 hits, don't you think the Monks were at fault? Heh...

Artemis Shadowhawk
10-04-2006, 21:00
Monks may be able to outheal a Ritualist with one spell, but with Life, Union, Shelter, Recuperation, Preservation, and Ritualist and Monk healing spells available to Ritualists, I don't think you can really diss oneMonks cannot outheal Ritualists with one spell. Ritualists can outheal monks with one spell. It's called Spirit Transfer. You can heal for 212 health. The spell is a 5 energy, 1/4 second cast, 0 recharge spell. No monk spells comes close to that. Pair it with life for more healing goodness.

Archangel Raguil
11-04-2006, 01:18
Monks cannot outheal Ritualists with one spell. Ritualists can outheal monks with one spell. It's called Spirit Transfer. You can heal for 212 health. The spell is a 5 energy, 1/4 second cast, 0 recharge spell. No monk spells comes close to that. Pair it with life for more healing goodness.

For one thing, Spirit Transfer needs spirits to work - if you don't cast them, then you're not going to get that much health :tongue: Another fun fact: using this spell will kill your spirits, if the enemy doesn't do it first!

In any case, there are a few Monks spells that beat it without any combinations of spells, such as yours. Namely:

Divine Healing, at attribute level 13 heals for 227. It also heals an area, so you can heal more than one person.

Divine Intervention, when you take damage that would be fatal, heals for 226 at attribute level 14.

Heaven's Delight (a Divine Healing clone)

Now, here are a list of spells that using Divine Favor at a level 14 (gives additional 45 healing) that beat your Spirit Transfer.

Watchful Spirit, upon ending, heals for 190 at attribute level 15.

Heal Other heals for 180 at attribute level 15.

Healing Breeze, heals for 180 over 10 seconds at attribute level 14.

Jamei's Gaze (clone of Heal Other)

Heal Area, heals for 180, and heals for an area (although enemies are included) at attribute level 15

Karei's Healing Circle (clone of Heal Area)

Word of Healing, when you ally has less than 50% of his total health, heals for as much as a Heal Other or Jamei's Gaze (180 at attribute level 15)

Now if you add on Divine Boon, at attribute level 14, it adds 73 healing. Add that to Divine Favor (45) and you get 118. Now these spells can heal for more that Spirit Transfer as well:

Ethereal Light, at level attribute level 15, heals for 100.

Healing Touch at a level 12, heals for 51, plus 45 from the bonus.

Healing Whisper, at level 14, heals for 96.

Blessed Light, at level 14, heals for 108

Healing Light, at level 14, heals for 96

Not to mention a whole bunch of conditional spells, that can heal for a lot more. Like Dwayna's Kiss, if the ally has 7 enchantments or hexes, at attribute level 16, would heal for 204 (and you can still add on Divine Favor and Divine Boon for a whopping 322). Contemplation of Purity, after removing 3 enchantments at level 14 gives 215 health. Or of course, Infuse Health. And adding Aura of Faith to any one of these spells can increase it's power by 1.5.

I think it's obvious that Monks can outdo a Ritualist in sheer number, but the important thing is that Ritualists don't have to compete in direct healing. By using spirits, and unique spells like Mend Body and Soul, there's a place for both in the game.

Daelin Blackleaf
12-04-2006, 23:16
Signet of Creation

"All spirits and animated creatures in the area gain + 1-6 Health regeneration. After 30 seconds, those spirits and creatures are destroyed."

Is it true that as this implies for 0 energy a ritualist can use this signet to utterly destroy an MM army?

Tarew
19-04-2006, 15:43
No offense but the strategies I've seen posted in here so far are fairly limited. The Ritualist can be an extremely fun and effective class but it does require a bit of creative thinking.

Also playing a Ritualist well, more so than any other class requires a good timing. If you combine several skills together and time it well you can have dramatic impact on a battlefield on a very large scale which is great fun :)

Here are some things I've come up with so far (note, there are skills here from other ritualist trees or even other classes, it's inevitable really so excuse me for that):

Consume Spirit + Fertile Ground + Edge of Extinction

Ranger spirits can do some absolutely crazy things when combined with certain ritualist skills. In PVP do make sure you tell your party in advance what you're planning since it can be a bit of a shock.

The way Fertile ground works is that when it is destroyed, it directly substracts the amount of bonus hitpoints is gave from everyone's health. This never actually kills people but it can put people at 1 health (and if a fight has been going on for a while people are likely not to be at full health anymore).
So just kill someone who is at 1 health by whatever means possible and Edge of Extinction will immediately do 43 damage (with 12 beastmastery) to all other people in the area, quite possibly killing a few more in the process etc. etc.
Use Consume Spirit here for minimum risk to your own party members since it heals them for a very good amount after Fertile Ground is destroyed (not to mention is can be used to destroy enemy spirits as well or as an emergency heal).
I've actually thought up another Ranger primary version of this which is potentially even more destructive but also more risky:

Fertile Ground + Edge of Extinction + Lascerate + Feast of Souls (you use this at 0 spawning power obviously since primary rangers don't get to put points in Spawning Power...you can still use the skills though)

Make sure you cast Edge of Extinction slightly away from the other 2 spirits so it doesn't get destroyed by the Feast.
This version is supremely lethal since with Lascerate it actually DOES kill people that are below half health instantly and you can also boost the Fertile Ground and Edge by bringing beast mastery to 16.
If only a few people are at approxamately half health with Fertile Ground in play, this build becomes an absolute wrecking ball that can wipe out an entire enemy team and yours along with it if you're not careful.
The crux is off course to time it properly to get the best effect out of it.

Also, the person who said earlier that Ritualists were easy to kill is going to love the next combination.
This one isn't too original but nevertheless very effective. It involves:

Soul Twisting + Union + Armor of Unfeeling + Mighty was Vorazun

There aren't actually any Spawning power skills in there but Spawning power is still very much desired to make Union last longer.
What this does basically (if you combine it with some other Communion Spirits...there are plenty) is give you a -25 damage reduction while you're casting binding rituals, which should be about 70% of the time (you can add the armor set that gives bonuses while casting binding rituals for more fun).
Meanwhile your party gets a permanent -15 damage reduction since you can easily keep Union up forever when using Soul Twisting. Just use is when the spirit is about to die and make a new one quickly (you can also use this with Shelter but it does die quicker most of the time.
With the appropriate armor a ritualist using this combination can get up to 90 armor while casting binding rituals I think as well as a 25 damage reduction all the while helping party members with spirits.

Tarew
19-04-2006, 16:33
The next one is what I call the "Nuclear Strike"
Like I said earlier Ritualist combo's are generally hard to execute and the next one is among the hardest ones of those...but if it works it's a blast :D
It involves in it's most basic form (which you can supplement by any number of, probably Channeling, skills):

Destruction + Rupture Soul + Cruel was Daoshan + Draw Spirit

The most difficult part is that you need to get within an opponent (or preferably a group of opponents) "nearby" radius to get this to work which is very close.
It works by putting a Destruction Spirit anywhere on the map and letting it stay there until about 20 seconds after you cast it...cast Daoshan while you wait (or rather not wait but use your other skills).
Then run to a group of opponents, teleport the spirit to you and cast Rupture Soul on it and immediately afterwards drop Daoshan's Ashes.
If you have 16 channeling magic and performed this well, any opponents in your "nearby" radius will now be struck for 120-150 + 128 + 122 = 370-400 damage in less than a 2 second time span. If your opponent(s) aren't dead yet, finish them up with your other channeling skills (Clamor of Souls is a funny little skill) for good measure.
It's highly effective but EXTREMELY difficult...a great challenge for anyone though since practice definitely pays off in results here.

By the way, Ritualists also have potentially the fastest resurrection ability in the game if there is a spirit around (and there always should be) with:

Soul Twisting + Restoration + Spirit to Flesh (+ Draw Spirit)

Soul Twisting is an elite but it doesn't require any attribute points and can be used in far more combinations than just this one.
Just teleport any spirit you summoned previously, destroy it with Soul Twisting, cast restoration which will take exactly 1.66 seconds and destroy it with Spirit to Flesh. This brings every ally in your nearby radius back to life and if it works the way it's supposed to as described in the skill description (I haven't actually tested this one but I presume Restoration brings everyone back to life BEFORE Spirit to Flesh heals them) everyone should have a very nice amount of health (though unfortunately no energy).

Lastly there's something that could potentially work extremely well in PvM if it works the way I hope it works.
This involves the Necromancer skill Bone Minions but in a different way than what someone suggested earlier.
I haven't tested this but if Bone Minions actually counts as creating TWO creatures and not just one since it is only one spell it could have extremely amusing interactions in:

Animate Bone Minions + Boon of Creation + Explosive Growth (add death nova or any number of other tricks (there are a LOT) here for good measure).

I have serious doubts if this actually does what I hope it does but by the way the skills are described right now it should at 16 spawning power:

- deal 136 damage to up to 5 foes that are near the corpse you used
- give you 106 health and 16 energy whenever you cast Bone Minions

and as opposed to most of the other combo's I mentioned this is extremely to use as long as you can find a suitable corpse.

Doyle
19-04-2006, 18:16
Like I said earlier Ritualist combo's are generally hard to execute and the next one is among the hardest ones of those...but if it works it's a blast :D
It involves in it's most basic form (which you can supplement by any number of, probably Channeling, skills):

The most difficult part is that you need to get within an opponent (or preferably a group of opponents) "nearby" radius to get this to work which is very close.
It works by putting a Destruction Spirit anywhere on the map and letting it stay there until about 20 seconds after you cast it...cast Daoshan while you wait (or rather not wait but use your other skills).
Then run to a group of opponents, teleport the spirit to you and cast Rupture Soul on it and immediately afterwards drop Daoshan's Ashes.
If you have 16 channeling magic and performed this well, any opponents in your "nearby" radius will now be struck for 120-150 + 128 + 122 = 370-400 damage in less than a 2 second time span. If your opponent(s) aren't dead yet, finish them up with your other channeling skills (Clamor of Souls is a funny little skill) for good measure.
It's highly effective but EXTREMELY difficult...a great challenge for anyone though since practice definitely pays off in results here.

Nice -- I was looking for combos similar to this and agree it will be difficult to pull off, but not impossible.

You could make this even more interesting by throwing Spirit Rift in there right before you charge in. You probably can't get the rest off before it triggers, but leading off with an extra 121 points makes for a nice 1-2 punch.

Nemeon Lion
26-04-2006, 22:20

By the way, Ritualists also have potentially the fastest resurrection ability in the game if there is a spirit around (and there always should be) with:

Soul Twisting + Restoration + Spirit to Flesh (+ Draw Spirit)

Soul Twisting is an elite but it doesn't require any attribute points and can be used in far more combinations than just this one.
Just teleport any spirit you summoned previously, destroy it with Soul Twisting, cast restoration which will take exactly 1.66 seconds and destroy it with Spirit to Flesh. This brings every ally in your nearby radius back to life and if it works the way it's supposed to as described in the skill description (I haven't actually tested this one but I presume Restoration brings everyone back to life BEFORE Spirit to Flesh heals them) everyone should have a very nice amount of health (though unfortunately no energy).

Lastly there's something that could potentially work extremely well in PvM if it works the way I hope it works.
This involves the Necromancer skill Bone Minions but in a different way than what someone suggested earlier.
I haven't tested this but if Bone Minions actually counts as creating TWO creatures and not just one since it is only one spell it could have extremely amusing interactions in:

Animate Bone Minions + Boon of Creation + Explosive Growth (add death nova or any number of other tricks (there are a LOT) here for good measure).

I have serious doubts if this actually does what I hope it does but by the way the skills are described right now it should at 16 spawning power:

- deal 136 damage to up to 5 foes that are near the corpse you used
- give you 106 health and 16 energy whenever you cast Bone Minions

and as opposed to most of the other combo's I mentioned this is extremely to use as long as you can find a suitable corpse.

Who just said that ritualist sucks?
BAHH!!!

if a party brings a ritualist THAT KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING can easily change the tide of a battle from " being smashed with candy canes " to " i'll kick your *** while i take care of my devourer egg " in a matter of seconds.

god damit when factions come out il create a ritualist. ( besides i heard from gamespot that ritualist has the power to besides summon spirits, can also summon DRAGONS!!!!! :afro: )

mr godspeed
26-04-2006, 22:52
when factions come out il create a ritualist. ( besides i heard from gamespot that ritualist has the power to besides summon spirits, can also summon DRAGONS!!!!! :afro: )
Nope they are wrong can't summon dragons.