PDA

View Full Version : More Daggers and some "Cloak" armor!

The Experimentor
24-01-2006, 04:00
I honestly don't mind that "dual-wielding" is boxed into weilding a pair of weapons or is a "both hands" weapon. It's simple, it works, it looks cool.

That said, I look forward to ANet expanding the dagger types for Assassins in Factions. :smiley: After all, those are only 3 weapons for a class that have no other kinds of items (different weapon type or offhands), whereas Warriors and even mages have a multitude of stuff and skins to choose from. Rangers have only bows, but they get flatbows, longbows, recurve bows, dead bows, horn bows, and more, IIRC.

So for Assassins, I'd like to see:
1. Tiger Claws (slashing damage)
2. Push Knives (piercing damage)
3. Katars (Hindu punch knives- piercing or slashing damage?)
4. Stilletos (Renaissance Italian dagger- piercing damage)
5. Kris knives (Southeast Asian knife with a wavy blade- slashing damage)
6. Lastly, something as inventive, even if implausible, as the spatha/forked sword or shadowblade- perhaps a double-bladed dagger (one above handle, one extending below)

Also: I do hope they revise the damage type of Kukri's. It's blade is not meant for stabbing due to its shape, but for chopping and cutting- it should have slashing damage instead of piercing. It's basically an axe in knife form. Not that it cannot stab, but it's not easy to do it in a straightforward manner.

Secondly, while it's apparent that Assassins are mainly ninja or Eastern influenced, I'd like them to suggest cloak-style armor, taking from Arabian assassins (from where we get the term), or from Western sources. The 3 armor types presented in the PvP weekend were all variations on the same theme- nothing new or unique. I'd really like to see cloak-and-dagger-styled characters. :cool: And if it's not too much, it'd be cool to watch those cloaks flow and billow as the Assassin does his rolls and dashes.

Yazoo
24-01-2006, 04:20
Lovely ideas u have there hope we can get some cloak armors at least one.
and katars I love those things!
Hope A.net staff read this...
or who knows, maybe they already did it and they are saving the coolest things for the release.:wink:

JeanDeathwish
24-01-2006, 04:56
Do you get all looks of weapons and shields for your PvP warrior? No, only a few basic ones. The same should apply to Assassin weapons. They gave us some basic ones (+15% while >50/stance/enchant) for PvP characters and Im sure that PvE items will look alot better. Well looking at the current ones I have a feeling Im going to love the new ones. Cant wait to see some green assassin weapons!

BastDawn
24-01-2006, 05:29
I bet they won't do a cloak (even though it would be very, very cool) because it would interfere with guild capes. What I want is a "hair" style or "helmet" that is a cloak hood -- something that would be designed to look like part of a guild cape if you have one, or just a mysterious hood alone if you don't. Make it black, with just a few locks of hair barely visible from inside...

The Experimentor
24-01-2006, 07:52
I bet they won't do a cloak (even though it would be very, very cool) because it would interfere with guild capes. What I want is a "hair" style or "helmet" that is a cloak hood -- something that would be designed to look like part of a guild cape if you have one, or just a mysterious hood alone if you don't. Make it black, with just a few locks of hair barely visible from inside...

They don't have to be large or full cloaks, but elbow-length invernesses or short, upper- body cloaks. :wink:

This actually could work, given that the chest piece of armor for all classes covers not just the torso and shoulders, but also the upper arms, above the elbows.

And if it's a small cloak, it won't interfere with Guild capes. :smiley:

Acel
24-01-2006, 09:27
Speaking of Daggers... they need to change the animation for the Dancing Dagger and Crippling Dagger in the Deadly Arts line. When the Assassin does Dancing Daggers, he/she only throws out 1 projectile instead of 3(too fast/small to be seen and DISAPPOINTING!). And during Crippling Dagger, the Dagger is thrown sideways!?! (pointed downwards) Oh please... even Stone Daggers look more decent than either two.

End rant.

Sai
24-01-2006, 11:45
Speaking of Daggers... they need to change the animation for the Dancing Dagger and Crippling Dagger in the Deadly Arts line. When the Assassin does Dancing Daggers, he/she only throws out 1 projectile instead of 3(too fast/small to be seen and DISAPPOINTING!). And during Crippling Dagger, the Dagger is thrown sideways!?! (pointed downwards) Oh please... even Stone Daggers look more decent than either two.

End rant.

watch the animation more closely, dancing daggers does show 3 daggers.

GammaRay
24-01-2006, 12:35
Katars should probably be piercing damage. Although games like RO have them used in a slashing fashion, they are meant for that punching type of attack that ends up as a stab rather than a slash.

I would LOVE to see some kind of cloak armor, but I doubt it will happen. It probably would interfere with capes a bit, and be pain in the rear to properly animate the flowing fabric over the whole body.

Rizzy
24-01-2006, 13:15
A classic samurai outfit with dual kodachi daggers :|
That's what I want.

Either that, or the classic Mortal Kombat Ninja outfit for the 15K energy amour.

Would make sense since it is a very minimal amour.

http://www.mkmugen.org/img_mkp/mkp_3_0b_ermac_scorpion.jpg

Something like this, but not exactly like this... you know... copyright infrigment...

clockworkjames
24-01-2006, 16:54
My contribution

All the names will have different skins like for other wepons, kukri sai butterfly, axe sword hammer, get my drift? only its all same type of dmg. You will get different skins and they will rock, look at all pvp wepons atm, boring, pve ones look cool!

As for your suggestions...
Push Knives (piercing damage) NO! a 1 1/4 inch blade is pointless, well it has a tiny point but no!
Stilletos (Renaissance Italian dagger- piercing damage) in a fight these can easily be turned against you and the blade is still too small to fight with, so no.
Kris knives (Southeast Asian knife with a wavy blade- slashing damage) no advantage over a normal knife and you would not ever see anyone holding 2.
Lastly, something as inventive, even if implausible, as the spatha/forked sword or shadowblade- perhaps a double-bladed dagger (one above handle, one extending below) fantasy game/fantasy dagger probs see one soon.

Also: I do hope they revise the damage type of Kukri's. It's blade is not meant for stabbing due to its shape, but for chopping and cutting- it should have slashing damage instead of piercing. It's basically an axe in knife form. Not that it cannot stab, but it's not easy to do it in a straightforward manner.
Used to cut throats in close combat in trenches by skilled Gurkas (sp?) and never dual weilded yes but massively sharp and deadly in combat. The old WW2 tales of a gurka jumping into a trench with a german soldier and slicing his throat before he could fire his wepon for example.

In conclusion, Why have all that when you can have sai?!?!?!?!? but the way the sai are held sucks, right hand (2nd attack hand) should hold it with the centre tang through the middle of the fingers for stabbing, lead hand for defence and de arming your foe with fingers safely on the handle.

KIDDIES! GO PLAY WITH SAI! ITS FUN! ASK TMNT RAPHAEL! :laugh:

da Dutchy
24-01-2006, 20:01
Tanto.

i hope i don't need to say more...

- edit;
kinda like the bit curfed daggers also, what you stab inside the enemies body with a slash...

Zero RoGuE
24-01-2006, 23:57
a cloak armor would rule! expecialy if they had it so while walking and standing you hid your weapon under it.

Soulse
25-01-2006, 03:36
I'd love to see some sort of cloak for town clothes if they ever come out with that.

The Experimentor
25-01-2006, 04:14
My contribution

All the names will have different skins like for other wepons, kukri sai butterfly, axe sword hammer, get my drift? only its all same type of dmg. You will get different skins and they will rock, look at all pvp wepons atm, boring, pve ones look cool!

1st, that's what I'm mainly asking for: skins. And as you said, it's going to be in PvE where it's really going to count.

2nd, untrue that they're all the same type of damage. Kukris and Sai's were listed with the piercing damage type, but the butterfly knife dished out slashing damage. This small detail is important in a game where many items give out specific protection. For example, Necromancer bonelace and fanatic armor gave better protection against piercing damage, while one of the Assassin armors gives better protection against

As for your suggestions...[/B]
Push Knives (piercing damage) NO! a 1 1/4 inch blade is pointless, well it has a tiny point but no!
Stilletos (Renaissance Italian dagger- piercing damage) in a fight these can easily be turned against you and the blade is still too small to fight with, so no.

Not totally true. You're thinking too much like a face-to-face Warrior wielding knives. Assassins, even in this game, are not meant to do that. Their armor is fragile, their evasion abilities meant just to give them enough survivablity to do their spike-damage.

Perhaps the push dagger is too small to be realistically wielded this way, but stiletto's are not. It was very popular in the Renaissance, even in non-assassination situations. And properly applied, the sharp slender blade of a good quality stiletto can go through even the heaviest armor of its day to do massive damage to a person's insides.

Lastly, this is a fantasy game. With the mursaat hammer around, even the most ludicrous dagger is going to look realistic.

Kris knives (Southeast Asian knife with a wavy blade- slashing damage) no advantage over a normal knife and you would not ever see anyone holding 2.

Um, in this game, anyone who intends to use Dagger Mastery has no choice but to hold 2 blades, whether sais, kris or kukris.

And there actually was a point to that wavy blade. :wink: Or else the Japanese would never have developed curved katanas after having straight ones for centuries. It's also the reason why scimatars and cavalry sabres are so deadly.

In conclusion, Why have all that when you can have sai?!?!?!?!?

Sigh. Many reasons:

1. The sai isn't the ultimate fighting dagger, nor is it the best. In fact, the sai is meant more for parrying than killing.

2. Also, as you admitted, the kukri is also a very nasty weapon.

3. Because having only the sai would make Assassin weapons the most boring bunch to lack of all weapons. Swords, for example, have gladii, spathas, flamberge's, etc.

4. Like #3, because people have different tastes, and prefer different (looking) weapons, even if they do the same thing. As said, which even you admitted to, it's about the skin.

5. Because, when it does come to game effects, some people would prefer to do slashing damage rather than piercing.

6. Because the sai is distinctly Asian. Nothing at all against Japan or Asia, but many people also want the option to portray middle-eastern or western assassins, not just Canthan ones.

but the way the sai are held sucks, right hand (2nd attack hand) should hold it with the centre tang through the middle of the fingers for stabbing, lead hand for defence and de arming your foe with fingers safely on the handle.

While I agree with you that the sai is not held properly, ANet is more likely to fill up the varieties of dagger before fixing the animation/skin for holding the sai.

KIDDIES! GO PLAY WITH SAI! ITS FUN! ASK TMNT RAPHAEL! :laugh:

I prefer Butterfly Knives. :cool: Or Stilletos.

Rizzy
25-01-2006, 08:35
Being from South East Asia and where the Kris is my traditional weapon.
Let me tell you what the wavey blade does.

It's design is to thrust forward into your target, not for slashing.
The tip of the kris is crafted to the sharpest point, the waves, make it easier to go through human flesh.

Although these blades have never really met any actual heavy armour since malays do not wear amour in combat.

And in other history about the Kris, it is also used as a ceremonial dagger, and also in Black Magic.

There have been tales of Kris being possessed by Djins and Spirits, some are even known to stand on the tip, just visit some Indonesian or Malaysian rural areas.

The Experimentor
25-01-2006, 09:44
Being from South East Asia and where the Kris is my traditional weapon.
Let me tell you what the wavey blade does.

It's design is to thrust forward into your target, not for slashing.
The tip of the kris is crafted to the sharpest point, the waves, make it easier to go through human flesh.

Hmmm... (Looks it up...)

Better make that piercing damage, then. Coulda sworn I once saw a SE Asian literary reference that had the kris being used as a cutting, slashing weapon. Probably something else different from, but related to, the kris.

Although these blades have never really met any actual heavy armour since malays do not wear amour in combat.

Nor has the feared Japanese katana ever met chainmail (which would ruin its fine blade), but we're not going to let that stop it, are we? :wink:

clockworkjames
25-01-2006, 13:10
aah, you totally misinterprated what I said and put words in my mouth.

I said something pretty similar to your
"The sai isn't the ultimate fighting dagger, nor is it the best. In fact, the sai is meant more for parrying than killing"

And I said it has little advantage over a normal knife, not its no better than or whatever, of course it is slightly more useful, table knife bowie knife kinda thing. Bowie knifes also have a curved blunt edge to make a nasty as hell wound.

Dual wield will not look kooies with all blades, and sai are cool! For attack and unarming your foe. And you are up against warriors in GW,
"not totally true. You're thinking too much like a face-to-face Warrior wielding knives. Assassins, even in this game, are not meant to do that." but they will, or they will perish from arrows and spells.:grin:

Sai FTW.

The Experimentor
26-01-2006, 06:03
aah, you totally misinterprated what I said and put words in my mouth.

That's because you're not speaking clearly or properly, sir. :rolleyes: There's such a thing as grammar.

Dual wield will not look kooies with all blades, and sai are cool! For attack and unarming your foe. And you are up against warriors in GW,
"not totally true. You're thinking too much like a face-to-face Warrior wielding knives. Assassins, even in this game, are not meant to do that." but they will, or they will perish from arrows and spells.:grin:

Ah, now you're misinterpreting me and putting words in my mouth. :wink:

1st, which knives would look cool dual-wielded- that would depend on a person's taste. What doesn't look nice to you will look nice to someone to else.

2nd, Assassins have no skills that disarm their targets. The closest guys who do are either Monks (Pacifism) or Warriors with Tactics skills.

3rd, I didn't say you wouldn't be fighting Warriors. Of course you will be. Rather, I said you were thinking of using the Assassin the way you would a Warrior. That' suicide.

4th, protection against arrows and spells is a matter for armor and skills, not for weapons.

Sai FTW.

A matter of taste and totally subjective. I'll still take a stilleto or butterfly knives, as I previously said.

clockworkjames
26-01-2006, 13:07
Hey, you try typing on a zboard gaming set when you have to be back at school in 7 mins, I only said that when I was home for lunch man. 6th year sucks. At least I have chosen my college course.....

Some knives WOULD NEVER BE dual weilded. Dual bowie knives? no. Dual kukris? no but gw does it anyway.

wolfh
26-01-2006, 19:53
i agree, more wepons..

and i want some more armor, the ones in faction looks too much like the futuristic naruto ninja. The masks was cool though. Another thing they need is haircuts, all of the ones in factions where ugly(at least from my point of view).

Personally i would love to see a more realistic type of armror, some that resembles what ninja wore(is that a word?) .. and yes i know that does not have anything to do with the case as the new class is ASSASIN, not a ninja. However assassins can fall into multiple catogories, like ninja, rouge, thief, and that alike. I belive that they should have many types of armor so we will have a ninja armor, rouge armor and so forth. That way we can like choose witch type of assassin we want to be..

and the user who that they should add hoods, im with you. Hoods and masks combined just look so damn awsome. And with the ugly hair cuts hoods is probly the way to go

The Experimentor
27-01-2006, 04:14
Some knives WOULD NEVER BE dual weilded. Dual bowie knives? no. Dual kukris? no but gw does it anyway.

Nor will that stop us from playing our characters that way either. :wink:

and i want some more armor, the ones in faction looks too much like the futuristic naruto ninja. The masks was cool though. Another thing they need is haircuts, all of the ones in factions where ugly(at least from my point of view).

I agree. Something simpler, more traditional would be better. It may in fact look more sleek than what we have now.

My issue is all the extra knives and blade things on the revealed armor kinds. I know the extra blades/knives on the armor is supposed to emphasize Assassins as Dagger Masters, but not all of us will be using Crippling or Dancing Daggers. So what are all those extra blades for? Decoration.

Personally i would love to see a more realistic type of armror, some that resembles what ninja wore(is that a word?) .. and yes i know that does not have anything to do with the case as the new class is ASSASIN, not a ninja. However assassins can fall into multiple catogories, like ninja, rouge, thief, and that alike. I belive that they should have many types of armor so we will have a ninja armor, rouge armor and so forth. That way we can like choose witch type of assassin we want to be..

Totally agree. Assassins should run the whole gamut of rogues. People will really appreciate the variety.

I want my cloak/inverness/western/arabian assassin armor.

and the user who that they should add hoods, im with you. Hoods and masks combined just look so damn awsome. And with the ugly hair cuts hoods is probly the way to go

I'd say make it an option for the hair style of the character. Warriors and Rangers have the options for crowns and the like in their hair, and I've seen some Warriors permanently turn off/hide their helms to show it off.

Give us hoods as part of our hair style. :cool:

Scutilla
27-01-2006, 04:50
I bet they won't do a cloak (even though it would be very, very cool) because it would interfere with guild capes.
Hmph, that doesn't stop them from letting femele Elementalist collector/15k Aero armor screw with capes. My ele won't wear her cape outside of town for that reason :angry:

Kjentei
27-01-2006, 08:25
By cloaked Assassin, did you mean something like this:
http://www.danscottart.com/images/RAV_assassin.jpg
(just un-zombify it a bit). Credit: Google search- M:tG result.

And this is just something cool I found:
http://www.khanpower.com/images/character/assassin.gif
Credit: www.khanpower.com

The Experimentor
27-01-2006, 09:20
Somewhat, but shorter and less likely to trip our characters. :wink:

I'm thinking elbow-length, capable of concealing weapons under but without hindering movement once the arms and daggers fly out.

Yazoo
27-01-2006, 17:46
Forget it I already found the new assasin armors.

WOOT
http://www.bootyproject.org/images/albums/113/3527.jpg

wolfh
29-01-2006, 14:43
Forget it I already found the new assasin armors.

WOOT
http://www.bootyproject.org/images/albums/113/3527.jpg

hell yea, that is what im (not) talking about!!

and that bag of lays should be the new single ahnded type of wepon

Ekrin
30-01-2006, 00:39
Valas FTW!!!

Endure Forte
02-02-2006, 09:26
The assassins cloak armor should cover the guild cape anyway. Why would an assassin want his guild to be known. :huh:

Azgalon
02-02-2006, 12:08
KhanPower Assassins remind me of GW Assassins!

http://www.khanpower.com/images/gallery/ill_img/assa02-1.jpg
http://www.khanpower.com/images/gallery/ill_img/assa08-1.jpg
http://www.khanpower.com/images/gallery/ill_img/assa06-1.jpg
http://www.khanpower.com/images/gallery/ill_img/assa09-1.jpg

Kjentei
02-02-2006, 13:00
Yeh, I have no idea how I found that, but they had some pretty cool armors but too Warrior-ish, but the game looks crap, and there's a class called Micka!? I mean, what-the-hell?

BastDawn
02-02-2006, 14:13
The assassins cloak armor should cover the guild cape anyway. Why would an assassin want his guild to be known. :huh:

In PvP and GvG games, there is no option to hide your cloak; it is forced into view to show which team you are on. Assassin armor can't interfere with that.

Azgalon
02-02-2006, 18:28
Yeh, I have no idea how I found that, but they had some pretty cool armors but too Warrior-ish, but the game looks crap, and there's a class called Micka!? I mean, what-the-hell?

I checked their gameplay video, and the Micka is similar to GW's Ranger! :D

In fact! Whole game is a bit similar if you check the latest movie!

Knight (Warrior), Necromancer, Micka (Ranger) etc.. and suddenly it says ...GUILD WAR and you see different parties duke it out..

Of course, the animations are subpar but still! :wink:

Endure Forte
06-02-2006, 05:44
In PvP and GvG games, there is no option to hide your cloak; it is forced into view to show which team you are on. Assassin armor can't interfere with that.

Yeah I know. But it still would be cool to hide it on the assassins creating more confusion and the like. Besides I don't ever look at the cape's so much as the colors of the names on screen.

Elrond
07-02-2006, 15:39
ANet could integrate the guild colors and emblems in the cloak armor, so if your guild cape is red with a yellow circle, your cloak armor would be too :thumbsup: