PDA

View Full Version : Assassin FAQ - a sketch (Ah...Help?)

Erasculio
26-01-2006, 20:32
1) What do “Lead Attack”, “Off Hand Attack” and “Dual Attack” mean?

The Assassin, unlike the other Professions of Guild Wars, has the ability to chain her attacks in a Combo. To do so, the attack skills require specific orders to be used, depending on what kind of attack they are. Currently, there are three kinds of attack, each with a different symbol that is shown on the top right of the skill icon. They are:

http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/6572/lead0ab.jpg

Lead attack: may always be used as the first attack in the combo, and so is often required to begin a sequence.

http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/1967/offhand0fi.jpg

Off hand attack: usually follows a lead attack, less commonly a dual hands attack.

http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/6804/dualstrike4us.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Dual hands attack: always must follow an off hand attack.

(Images taken from tarutaru's skill guide - see it here (http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=382982).)

A simple combo would be, then, a Lead Attack – Off Hand Attack – Dual Hands Attack.

2) How do I know if I can use an Off Hand Attack or a Dual Attack?

The skills lit up when they may be used effectively. Keep in mind, though, that if you click on the skill when it cannot be properly employed (for example, if you click on a dual attack without using an off hand attack before), the skill will be used, the energy will be spent, but the attack will always miss. Even enchantments that prevent your next attack from missing won’t prevent this – always, when trying to use an Assassin attacking skill out of its proper order, it will miss. It will trigger skills such as Empathy and Spiteful Spirit.

Also, once in your skill bar, you may see the kind of attack a skill needs by looking at the skill’s icon. It will show the action it requires before being used (Lead Attack, Off Hand Attack or Dual Hands Attack) as a gray symbol on its top left.

Other way to know when an off hand attack and dual attack may be used is to watch your target’s health bar. The symbol of the last attack used will be seen at the right corner of said bar, so you may know if your last action against that foe was a lead attack, an off hand attack or a dual attack.

3) May I use an Off Hand Attack if I just used a Lead Attack against a different foe?

No. The attack order is applied to the enemy, not to what skills you have used. So you cannot hit an enemy with a Lead Attack, switch enemies and then follow with an Off Hand Attack against a different target – it would miss. You need to begin and finish the combo on the same enemy. You may use the enemy’s health bar as a guide – it shows the last attack you have used against him, so you may figure out which attack may be used next.

4) May I follow a combo that another Assassin started?

No. If an allied Assassin used a Lead Attack against an enemy, you cannot continue the combo with an Off Hand Attack. The combo works only for one attacking character – another Assassin attacking the same person would need to begin his own combo. Again, the health bar of the enemy shows the last attack you used against him, but it only shows that information to you – both the enemies and the allies can’t see it.

5) If I use a different skill, such as a spell, in the middle of a combo, does it break the combo?

No. After you do an attack, the enemy is marked as being hit by that kind of attack and remains so for a few seconds. We still do not know how long such period lasts, although last guesses are between 2 and 5 seconds. In that mean time, you may use a spell, walk, continue to attack or use a different kind of skill. The combo will only be broken if you wait past the given time, or if you begin a new combo. So, if you hit an enemy with an off hand attack, you may cast a spell and then follow with a dual hands attack – but if you use an off hand attack, and then a lead attack, you won’t be able to follow with a dual hands attack.

6) When I attack, what may happen?

This is important to the Assassin considering how his skills rely on critical hits, combos, etc. Once a character tries to attack another, there are five possible outcomes:

1) A normal hit. It will do the weapon’s normal damage, adjusted to the character’s level, his attribute level in the relevant weapon mastery (Dagger Mastery, for the Assassins using daggers), the target’s level and the target’s armor.

2) A Critical Hit. It will be a more powerful strike, even though the exact effect is still unknown. Charles Ensign, from GWG, claims that it works as a normal hit, but increasing your attribute level by four. So, if an Assassin using a kuri had Dagger Mastery of 12 and hit an enemy with a Critical Hit, the damage would be calculated as if the Assassin had 16 in Dagger Mastery. Son of Rah, in other hand, claims that a Critical Hit acts like a normal hit, but calculating the damage as if the target had 20 less armor.

3) A Block or an Evade. Both usually happen thanks to some Stance being used by the target (although hexes, wards and some other things may create the same result). There are some Assassin skills that make it impossible for the target to both block or evade the attack.

4) A Miss. This most often happens once the attack has been Blinded (giving him a 90% chance to miss with his attacks). It is important to note that an attack which cannot be Blocked or Evaded may still miss – so if a blinded Assassin tries to use one of these attacks, it will likely fail.

-----------------------------------------------

Ok, the above is what I have for the moment. There are plenty more things to be done, so I would like to ask if someone here would be kind enough to help. Other than answering a lot more things, I would like to know if I could borrow Ubermancer's post about Critical Strikes, and there's also need for an image showing an enemy health bar with one of the Assassin attack symbols.

Erasculio

Kjentei
27-01-2006, 08:11
This is a very helpful guide, Assassin is a complicated profession and you summarized it well. Well done.

My Sweet Revenga
28-01-2006, 00:37
Very enlightening thank you. I didn't get a chance to try out assassin over the trial weekend but I'm sure I'll make one when chapter 2 comes out.

One thing though, you state in section 6 that there are 5 possible outcomes. But I only count 4, unless you consider blocking and evading as separate outcomes...