PDA

View Full Version : IW Assassin build (A/Me)

Kjentei
07-02-2006, 13:33
The point of this build is using the Assassin's high attack rate to deal even more damage with Illusionary Weaponry, whilst slowing the target down, however, when they try to run: Shameful Fear deals 17 damage to them every second they are moving.

Critical Strikes [Primary], Dagger Mastery (for dagger req, this is of course only if it's a PvP-only character), Deadly Arts, Illusion Magic.
The skills are:
Illusionary Weaponry*
Crippling Dagger
Dash
Ethereal Burden
Expose Defenses
Shameful Fear
Mark of Death
Resurrection Signet

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Vashekos/A-MeBuild1edit.jpg

First you Crippling Dagger target foe, then head up to them and cast Illusionary Weaponry*, then cast Shameful Fear on the foe. Use Dash to chase after them, and if they have a speed boost, use Ethereal Burden on them. Use Mark of Death if they are getting healed, and use Expose Defenses if they are somehow dodging/blocking your IW. If they don't run away, use Mark of Death on them and just attack excessively.

What do you think?

*elite skill

Goldfish God
07-02-2006, 13:40
The ever present problem with IW... enchantment removal
Hex-breaker could be bad for you, as would shatter/smite hex.

swanky if these don't come up though :grin:

Bravo
07-02-2006, 13:51
You cannot block/dodge illusionary weaponry, if they are it means you have had your illusionary weaponry stripped whilst you weren't paying attention.

Kjentei
07-02-2006, 14:00
You cannot block/dodge illusionary weaponry, if they are it means you have had your illusionary weaponry stripped whilst you weren't paying attention.

Ahh thanks, what skill do you think should replace it? Maybe Arcane Echo in case of enchantment removal?

Bravo
07-02-2006, 14:44
I wouldn't really know as I haven't run an illusionary weaponry character.

Another point that you use is that you want the person to have points in dagger mastery to reach the requirement on the weapon. You don't actually need attribute points in dagger mastery to equip it, just like any other weapon. You would just need to scroll down to the bottom of the weapons list and choose one. You will not be able to deal significant damage with the weapons if you don't meet the requirement, but this is only of concern when someone strips illusionary weaponry from you.

MaximumSquid
07-02-2006, 15:35
I'm a little confused on the build.

Your using IW, but your not a mesmer primary (max damage 34 per swing)

Your using IW without a attack speed bonus (even less damage)

Your using expose defenses in the build. This won't stack with IW at all.

I don't see a need for you to have Ethereal burden when Crippling Dagger costs 5 energy, lasts almost twice as long, and has has half the recharge.

I think shameful fear is a great call

Mark of death is not very good stand alone. That skill is better used in combos.

----------------------------------------------------
I'm not one to diss and leave someone hanging though
Give this setup a try:
----------------------------------------------------

Assassin/Mesmer

Critical Strikes: 11 (10+1)
Deadly Arts: 14 (10+4)
Illusion Magic: 11

Phantom Pain (Illusion Magic)
Iron Palm (Deadly Arts)
Entangling Asp (Deadly Arts)
Crippling Dagger (Deadly Arts)
Illusionary Weaponry [Elite] (Illusion Magic)
Critical Eye (Critical Strikes)
Illusion of Weakness (Illusion Magic)
Resurrection Signet ()

IW will cause you to miss, but you can still take advantage of iron palm and entangling asp. Combine this with deep wounds on the target, and you should be able to take them down rather quickly.

Since you don't have an attack speed boost your only chance is critical. I"m not even sure if you can critical while using IW, but that's something you'll need to test.

Illusion of weakness, and Crippling dagger are you only two defenses so you'll have to be battlewise.

What i'm really interested in knowing is if Shadowy Burden will increase the damage you deal with IW. I dought it, but if it does it could easily be the skill of choice.

-----
Edits:

Yeah i forgot to mention before. . . You'll be able to stack another enchantment on you so your IW won't get pealed off as easily. You'll also have two ontop of illusion of weakness which is even more important.

If you do find yourself without IW you won't be helpless either. Crippling is always welcomed by the monks and other soft targets, and your two shot combo will never suck.

The Experimentor
07-02-2006, 16:01

Your using IW without a attack speed bonus (even less damage).

Dagger Mastery. Each rank in Dagger Mastery gives you a 2% chance to perform a double attack per attack. This is in addition to the normal damage bonuses that weapon attributes give.

Max out your Dagger Mastery (12-16), you have a 24-32% chance to double strike per attack, around 1 out of 4 to 1 out of 3. This is pretty big, looking both at the numbers and from experience during the PvP weekend. More or less, every 3 or 4 strikes you do, you do an extra attack. If you're lucky, you could even do a whole bunch of them consecutively (I saw it, it happens)!

I think A/Me isn't bad for such a build. It's really a matter of preference.

Me/A means more focus on IW (attributes 12-16, maxing its damage out to 42). You deal more damage per attack, while Dagger Mastery (12) means getting in a few more licks (extra strike 1 out 4 times). By my calculations, assuming 12 attacks with every 4th producing an extra strike: 15 attacks x 42 = 630 damage. More damage, but you rely on IW.

A/Me means more focus on Dagger Mastery (attributes 12-16, 1 extra attack 1 out of 3 times at max). In normal combat, you're not a slouch. With IW on (Illusion Magic 12, damage 34), you deal lots of extra strikes, you attack "faster". By my calculations, assuming 12 attacks with every 4th producing an extra strike: 15 attacks x 42 = 544 damage. Less damage, but you're also less reliant on IW.

I think IW with Dagger Mastery is dangerous enough. I would suggest making your build more versatile and flexible. Maybe a small but effective chain combo might help. But definitely you need defense, as degen and range attacks will probably blast you off your sneaky feet before you get even close. While I strongly advise sneaking up on your targets while they're engaged with other targets, might as well not take chances.

Lastly: it's a pity Locusts' Fury is also an Elite Skill... :grin:

MaximumSquid
07-02-2006, 18:55
Lastly: it's a pity Locusts' Fury is also an Elite Skill... :grin: Man you ain't kidding :afro:

Kjentei
08-02-2006, 09:10
I'm a little confused on the build.

Your using IW without a attack speed bonus (even less damage)

Your using expose defenses in the build. This won't stack with IW at all.

I don't see a need for you to have Ethereal burden when Crippling Dagger costs 5 energy, lasts almost twice as long, and has has half the recharge.

I think shameful fear is a great call

Mark of death is not very good stand alone. That skill is better used in combos.

I never considered it being Me/A, that'd be quite good for the increased damage dealt by IW. I didn't include an attack speed bonus because the Assassin has an about 0.33 second faster rate of attack anyway. Yeh, I chose Shameful Fear because they'll get damage taken off even if they are running away. Mark of Death was just an extra that I think I'll change.

Assassin/Mesmer

Critical Strikes: 11 (10+1)
Deadly Arts: 14 (10+4)
Illusion Magic: 11

Phantom Pain (Illusion Magic)
Iron Palm (Deadly Arts)
Entangling Asp (Deadly Arts)
Crippling Dagger (Deadly Arts)
Illusionary Weaponry [Elite] (Illusion Magic)
Critical Eye (Critical Strikes)
Illusion of Weakness (Illusion Magic)
Resurrection Signet ()

IW will cause you to miss, but you can still take advantage of iron palm and entangling asp. Combine this with deep wounds on the target, and you should be able to take them down rather quickly.

Since you don't have an attack speed boost your only chance is critical. I"m not even sure if you can critical while using IW, but that's something you'll need to test.

Illusion of weakness, and Crippling dagger are you only two defenses so you'll have to be battlewise.

What i'm really interested in knowing is if Shadowy Burden will increase the damage you deal with IW. I dought it, but if it does it could easily be the skill of choice.

-----
Edits:

Yeah i forgot to mention before. . . You'll be able to stack another enchantment on you so your IW won't get pealed off as easily. You'll also have two ontop of illusion of weakness which is even more important.

If you do find yourself without IW you won't be helpless either. Crippling is always welcomed by the monks and other soft targets, and your two shot combo will never suck.

Dagger Mastery I generally kept because of the attribute level requirement of 9 that would've been needed to be there for PvP-only characters for them to be able to have daggers (therefore giving the better attack rate), but thinking over the build, I don't think it'd be great for anything other than competitive arena or certain PvE. I also kept it because of the +2% double attack chance (as The Experimentor stated), which would give the IW a double-damaged-attack.

Iron Palm->+Entangling Asp!! I searched but couldn't find skills that wouldn't be dulled by the IW's 'no melee damage' enchantment. This is good for just dealing some damage while enchanted with IW, the knock-down and poison-ing is great, it makes the build much more versatile and better gradual damage. Phantom Pain is also very good, Deep Wound would be very good at making the IW more effective. I like Illusion of Weakness as well, I overlooked that before not because I thought it wouldn't be good, but because I saw another skill that I'd thought'd work better. IoW is a great self-sufficint skill, that'd be good for the build.

I overlooked Critical Eye because I'm pretty sure you can't deal critical strikes when enchanted with IW, because don't they count as a melee attack (or at least the result of a melee attack)? I'm really not sure about that, as I can't remember the Critical Strikes attribute description, did it say that the attacks have to actually land?

Thank you so much for figuring out that covering the IW with other enchantments in case of enchantment removal, maybe this would be a suitable use for Critical Eye as it has a low-energy-cost and the duration can be longer than it's recharge-time (Suitable use as in having no other use than to shield IW for enchantment removal).

Max out your Dagger Mastery (12-16), you have a 24-32% chance to double strike per attack, around 1 out of 4 to 1 out of 3. This is pretty big, looking both at the numbers and from experience during the PvP weekend. More or less, every 3 or 4 strikes you do, you do an extra attack. If you're lucky, you could even do a whole bunch of them consecutively (I saw it, it happens)!

I think A/Me isn't bad for such a build. It's really a matter of preference.

Me/A means more focus on IW (attributes 12-16, maxing its damage out to 42). You deal more damage per attack, while Dagger Mastery (12) means getting in a few more licks (extra strike 1 out 4 times). By my calculations, assuming 12 attacks with every 4th producing an extra strike: 15 attacks x 42 = 630 damage. More damage, but you rely on IW.

A/Me means more focus on Dagger Mastery (attributes 12-16, 1 extra attack 1 out of 3 times at max). In normal combat, you're not a slouch. With IW on (Illusion Magic 12, damage 34), you deal lots of extra strikes, you attack "faster". By my calculations, assuming 12 attacks with every 4th producing an extra strike: 15 attacks x 42 = 544 damage. Less damage, but you're also less reliant on IW.

I think IW with Dagger Mastery is dangerous enough. I would suggest making your build more versatile and flexible. Maybe a small but effective chain combo might help. But definitely you need defense, as degen and range attacks will probably blast you off your sneaky feet before you get even close. While I strongly advise sneaking up on your targets while they're engaged with other targets, might as well not take chances.

I'll have to disagree with the Dagger Mastery being dangerous, there is only a 10-second-duration between when IW ends and when it recharges. Chain combo would help but only if it didn't have to "melee hit" them, this is why I love the Iron Palm->+Entangling Asp combination (that MaximumSquid most wonderfully invented). This build doesn't have a lot of defense (IoW being one of the only defenses), yes, but that's what monks and some of the other allies are for, I originally designed the build to be very offensive.

I completely agree with your Me/A-A/Me comparison/advantages and disadvantages.

Purifier
10-02-2006, 18:16
Actually, if you were Me/R or even Me/W you would be better for straight out damage with IW.

Use an attack speed increasing skill from one of the two and you have the same attack speed as a constant double strike rate. Using the Dual Wield weapons with IW requires NO skill in the weapon itself. Me/R or W would rock with Daggers in hand. Daggers naturally attack faster than swords, and are better for IW. Also you have more defensive options for dodging with things like bonetti's Defense, or Lightning Reflexes and Dodge.

Archedgar
10-02-2006, 22:15
Actually, if you were Me/R or even Me/W you would be better for straight out damage with IW.

Use an attack speed increasing skill from one of the two and you have the same attack speed as a constant double strike rate. Using the Dual Wield weapons with IW requires NO skill in the weapon itself. Me/R or W would rock with Daggers in hand. Daggers naturally attack faster than swords, and are better for IW. Also you have more defensive options for dodging with things like bonetti's Defense, or Lightning Reflexes and Dodge.

Bingo !

Well said... /agree with above

Siru
10-02-2006, 22:47
Illusion - 12
Daggers (without boost): 30sec 34damage = 1292 damage = Sword (with flurry). And here's not the count if dual attacks give double damage.. so I guess A/Me IW is not that bad after all. Not the best but not bad :content: