PDA

View Full Version : A/W Swordmaster

The Experimentor
08-02-2006, 11:09
I came up with this only for fun and for the look and style of a finesse-based swordsman (rather than a tank), but I'm wondering if it can be turned into a serious and effective build. Constructive input would be greatly appreciated.

Attributes:
Critical Strikes 16 = 12 + 1 (Mask) + 3 (Superior Rune)
Shadow Arts 4 = 3 +1 (Minor Rune)
Swordsmanship 12

Equipment:
Sword - katana-like or light sword skin; max damage with 15% for -5 Energy mod; Zealous, Furious or Ebon prefix upgrade; Defense, Fortitude or Swordsmanship suffix
Grim Cesta - gauntlet skin, max Energy for no requirement (+6 I think). Might as well use his offhand for something and give it a cool look as well. :wink: If I can get one with some sort of armor bonus, even better.
Armor - torso has + armor bonus while attacking; rest is Energy bonus armor

Skills:
Seeking Blade
Hundred Blades or Savage Slash
Pure Strike
Final Thrust
Critical Defenses
Shadow Refuge or Way of Perfection
Sharpen Daggers or Death's Charge or Shadow Step
Resurrection Signet

Energy-based Swordsmanship skills replace the Dagger Mastery skills. I wonder if I can replicate the spiking damage of the Dagger Mastery chain skills, but the sword does have higher max damage (though slower speed without double attacks) and should work well with Critical Strikes.

I have my own "chain" combo of attacks- one advantage of this switch to a sword is that my "chain" is not as easily disrupted as dagger chains. Furthermore, the attack skills have pretty short recharge times.

Critical Strikes, the Zealous mod and the Grim Cesta should help my Energy management.

The rest of my skills is defense and support.

I will still play this guy as a conventional hit-and-run, first strike, quick kill, backstabbing Assassin.

Kjentei
08-02-2006, 13:31
I like it. It's very classic yet dangerous, it keeps and keeps attacking the foe...until the poor victim thinks "this silly Assassin attacking me with a sword" you Final Thrust them. Critical Strikes is a great idea for the A/W with the sword. I also like the idea of Pure Strike and Seeking Blade (low-energy-cost skills that can't be evaded/blocked).

MaximumSquid
08-02-2006, 23:47
I like, but you should switch some things around.

First you have no hope of keeping up critical defense if your not using daggers. . .You simply won't attack fast enough.

Your going to want critical Eye. . . no questions asked.

and you left some nice skills like wild blow:

Consider this setup instead:

Samurai

Assassin/Warrior
Level: 20

Critical Strikes: 14 (10+4)
Shadow Arts: 11 (10+1)
Swordsmanship: 11

Hundred Blades [Elite] (Swordsmanship)
Wild Blow (Warrior other)
Pure Strike (Swordsmanship)
Savage Slash (Swordsmanship)
Way of Perfection (Shadow Arts)
Critical Eye (Critical Strikes)
Resurrection Signet ()

With Shadow ARts at 11 you will get 28 health for every crit. You'll crit more with Critical eye on, adn wild blow will ensure you some hp. Savage Slash to put down Casters quick / interrupt, and Pure strike for some good damage while not in a stance.

I left you a skill open too. I couldn't decide on the last one so it's all really up to you. Shadow refuge, Viper Defense, Shadowy burden, and sharpen dagger are all good. A stance might not be a bad idea either. Just take purestrike off if you go that route.

Kjentei
09-02-2006, 08:52
Your going to want critical Eye. . . no questions asked.

Hehehe, that's the second time you've put Critical Eye into someone's Assassin build, could you possible have an obssession with it? :grin:

The Experimentor
09-02-2006, 11:01
Well, it seems to be a healthy and useful obsession. :wink:

MaximumSquid, you made good points. We should consider:

1. One attacks with a sword every 1.33 seconds. That's 3 strikes per 4 seconds. Also, does anyone know the exact attack rate of daggers as compared to swords?

2. How much does the Swordsmanship attribute raise your chance for a critical hit?

Doing the math, that means you need a 1/3rd chance to critical hit every 4 seconds- pretty bad for a sword, even with max Critical Strikes (X (Swordsmanshi) + 16 (Critical Strikes) + 6 (or higher, Critical Eye) %). It would seem Critical Eye is incompatible with a sword.

I honestly prefer evasion or blocking defenses for this build- it means less damage, more irritation for my opponent, and, most importantly, it fits the character and style of the build :grin: . Shadow Refuge or Shroud of Distress, then.

I'll also keep Seeking Blade- I like having an attack that "cannot miss" and may cause Bleeding. :evil:

The Experimentor
09-02-2006, 11:48
A 12 in a weapon attribute gives around a 16% chance to critical hit. If so, 16 (Swordsmanship 12) + 12 (Critical Strikes) + 6 (or higher, Critical Eye) = 34% to Critical Hit. That's roughly 1/3rd of the time, and while Dagger Mastery gives a better chance to do it with double attacks, it might be enough for Critical Defenses. Maybe. Kinda expensive for its cost, though.

Skill bar: - Cost
1. Final Thrust (last) - 10 Adrenaline
2. Pure Strike or Savage Slash (3rd) - 5 Energy
3. Hundred Blades (2nd) - 5 Energy
4. Seeking Blade (lead) - 5 Energy
5. Critical Eye - 5 Energy
6. Critical Defenses - 10 Energy
7. Shadow Refuge - 5 Energy
8. Resurrection Signet - Signet

lord of Bones
09-02-2006, 14:17
While critical defenses sounds good, you will never keep it up with your current build because you will just get kited. You definitely need a run skill of some form, or a cripple skill of some form. Hamstring is probably a better choice than savage slash for this.

Pub-O
09-02-2006, 15:05
They should really make Assasin when using a sword more - Assasin like.

Anyone noticed that when they used swords in the beta weeekend they fought exactly with the same animations as everyone else. Does slow warrior-ish movements.

it would be cool if they had more personallity when using swords. It also looked wrong when they had a shield equippied. Sheilds dont fit an assasin IMO. And many of the off hand items dont fit as well.

Maybe Anet should make something non visable like a ring with some decent stats, or a cermorial dagger for show off?

All does magic items as off hand weapon just dont look right to an assasin IMO.

two handed katana swords would be awesome though:)

The Experimentor
09-02-2006, 17:36
It also looked wrong when they had a shield equippied. Sheilds dont fit an assasin IMO. And many of the off hand items dont fit as well.

I also agree on the shield thing. But I beg to differ on the off-hands- IMO, it's just a matter of finding something you like. :wink:

Equipment:
Grim Cesta - gauntlet skin, max Energy for no requirement (+6 I think). Might as well use his offhand for something and give it a cool look as well. :wink: If I can get one with some sort of armor bonus, even better.

You can also try the Elementalist Storm Artifact (floating crystals skin) or the Monk Protective Icon (Dwayna's face skin). They're also pretty sleek.

You can get pretty decent no requirement ones in Diessa Lowlands and other areas around Ascalon. If you're lucky, you might even get one with an armor bonus or the like.

MaximumSquid
09-02-2006, 18:22
I was told that daggers attack once per second. Performing "Bad" Math you can add in your chance to double strike at assume you attack once every .72 - .8 seconds roughly.

Sword animation getting you down?

Try hammer and look like a complete fool!

But the more i think about it Hammer assassins might be the norm since you can't get a decent offhand on them.

Critical Hits on a hammer are no joke either. THat sh*t hurts! >.<

The Experimentor
09-02-2006, 19:11
Try hammer and look like a complete fool!

But the more i think about it Hammer assassins might be the norm since you can't get a decent offhand on them.

Critical Hits on a hammer are no joke either. THat sh*t hurts! >.<

Heh heh... I actually tried that during the beta... :laugh: :grin: Hilarious!

Purifier
10-02-2006, 00:12
Thought I might chime in, from tests ran during the Beta, I checked weapon speeds.

Hammers - 1.66

Axes - 1.33

Swords - 1.00

Daggers - 0.66(or a little higher due to human error)

Yes contrary to the popular belief Swords are faster than Axe, IWAY warriors seem to hit the same speed due to IWAYs attack speed increase. Dual hits are on a % basis of your skill. Daggers much faster, but yeah Hammers might look strange but in practice would probably hit extremely hard. Teleporting Hammerman FTW!!:afro:

The Experimentor
15-02-2006, 16:31
If so, the question is:

More chances to Critical (fast but low damage weapon) or heavier damage (slow but high damage weapon)?

MaximusOwnage
09-03-2006, 22:46
Whoa whoa, can some check up purifier's experiment?

Sword speed > Axe?

Rhayve
09-03-2006, 23:48
It's logical that Swords are faster since their max Damage is way lower than that of axes, kinda unfair if Axes were superior to Swords in both cases, right?

The Experimentor
11-03-2006, 13:46
On comparing weapons:

Max damage:
Axe: 6-28
Sword: 15-22

Even if the Axe beats the Sword in terms of maximum damage, its minimum damage is 6, way lower than the Sword's.

If you get the mean of their damage ranges:
Axe: 17
Sword: 18.5

When it comes to damage range and average damage, a Sword is consistent, an Axe is for spiking.