PDA

View Full Version : A Lunar Revelation

Quintus Antonius
17-02-2006, 02:51
This is hardly a scientific investigation or a dive into lore, but I did find it worth mentioning.

Have you ever noticed that the moon of Tyria is the same moon as that of Earth?

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/221/moon2ur.th.jpg (http://img111.imageshack.us/my.php?image=moon2ur.jpg)

I noticed it awhile ago, but I never thought to point it out until just now.

Nifty Easter Egg at least.

Chakra
17-02-2006, 03:08
old news but it is nice to inform people that might not have heard it

Ju Smurph
17-02-2006, 03:17
Nice find... see i play it as a game never stopping to smell the flowers as it where.

Lately so many people are finding so much hidden detail and history and i think it's great...

Suds Mcgee
17-02-2006, 03:59
I wonder what else in Tyria is the same as our Earth...I'll look around tomorrow.

Inercia
17-02-2006, 04:39
Lol you wont believe but just an hour ago i was doing the riverside province mission and i noticed that same thing for the first time.
It is a nice easter egg but i almost wish they wouldn't have done it... i think it takes some of the magic of the world of tyria.
There are so many possibilities for a night sky...multiple moons or even the world being a moon in itself, that i think it is a pity to have a moon equal to our own... (even though it is a beautiful moon)

Natas Cobra
17-02-2006, 04:54
Lol you wont believe but just an hour ago i was doing the riverside province mission and i noticed that same thing for the first time.
It is a nice easter egg but i almost wish they wouldn't have done it... i think it takes some of the magic of the world of tyria.
There are so many possibilities for a night sky...multiple moons or even the world being a moon in itself, that i think it is a pity to have a moon equal to our own... (even though it is a beautiful moon)
i dunno i disagree...jus like middle earth ..mabye tyria is earth ...long forgotten in the past ?...hmmm:shocked:

Fina
17-02-2006, 05:17
Or maybe a texture designer just stopped by Google Image Search instead of making a moon from scratch?

Tanus Longsmithe
17-02-2006, 05:42
fina delivers =p

The Andrew
17-02-2006, 05:56
Well, it's just a moon. I mean, how many different ways can you make them?

Zaxares
17-02-2006, 06:05

With green cheese. :grin:

sophistry
17-02-2006, 06:22
that lil fact doesnt surprise me at all sence i see Gw as a colmination(uuuhg spelling so lazy) Many Cultures and i soon hope to see some hispanic inspired items locations and so on

Quintus Antonius
17-02-2006, 12:17
Yeah, Hispanic themes might be interesting. I'm Hispanic, and I did notice little of my culture in the game, but that doesn't really bother me to much.

As for the moon, I agree completely that it was just a laziness on the part of the designers, but they had the potential for so much more. Look at the night skyscape in Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and then tell me that there are only so many things you can do with the sky!

I actually noticed the moon being the same as Earth's the first day I played the game, but I never really put much stock into it back then, and I didn't even know gwonline.net existed. I just never got around to pointing it out until now. Thought it might be an interesting point of discussion at least.

MixedVariety
17-02-2006, 13:06

Since I'm a member of the local astronomical society and have viewed most of the Solar System's moons at the observatory, I can tell you that moons are as varied as planets; and that's only from examining the ones in our own system. The only thing that really differentiates them from planets, actually, is the fact that a planet with a bigger gravitational field has captured the smaller one.

Edit: And, as for this remark:

I'd like to point out that for people who haven't heard it before, it is not old news.

Ostriig
17-02-2006, 13:59
Or maybe a texture designer just stopped by Google Image Search instead of making a moon from scratch?

Quoted for truth. :grin:

Garreth MacLeod
17-02-2006, 14:57
Hmm. If the Tyrian moon is the same as our moon, then Tyria is Earth? Could it be that Tyrians are miniatures of us, living on isolated islands somewhere? These islands to us would be massive continents to them.

Ok, I'm being silly

Saint Troy
17-02-2006, 15:27
~snip~
I'd like to point out that for people who haven't heard it before, it is not old news.
QFT
I hadn't heard it before, or noticed it myself, so it's not old news to me :grin:

Quintus Antonius
17-02-2006, 16:00
QFT
I hadn't heard it before, or noticed it myself, so it's not old news to me :grin:

Well, that's why I posted it. I found it an interesting point of discussion, so I figured I might as well share it.

However, I don't think it implies Earth is Tyria, I think it is just a matter of an oversight in the game. And as a member of TAOS and the head of the GWPS, that's saying something... :grin:

Ubermancer
17-02-2006, 18:05
I havent considered hispanic culture as a possible source of inspiration for GW areas, but come to think of it, Id love to see what spin ANet would put on it upon implementation.

Ferra Faye
17-02-2006, 18:22
well now that we are into it.... I would REALLY like to see some native american culture implemented into GW.

Sun is in us
17-02-2006, 18:38
This has always been a standard in most of the RPG games I have seen and it always bugs me a little.

Many Many Moons I have seen in these games and over 75% are earths moon (I mean they have free versions of photoshop now....15 minutes to make it unique?)

I have tried sometimes to work it into the lore (when I'm being a RPG Geek), but, sigh, just a little attention to a detail like this goes a long way....

sledgeunderhill
17-02-2006, 18:48

Let's see, at latest count Jupiter alone had 63, so quite a few ways.

Thinking of the familiar, local moon as displayed in Tyria, it appears in a waning gibbous phase in Droknars, yet past the meridian in the western sky. This makes the local time in that city always about 2-3 am.

I guess we're late arrivals or the dwarf city comes alive after midnight.

Inercia
17-02-2006, 19:05
As for the moon, I agree completely that it was just a laziness on the part of the designers

I sometimes think itīs more than just lazyness, itīs a kind of modern day geocentrism. People forget that not all planet have moons just like ours, or just one tiny star in the center of our system.

I have tried sometimes to work it into the lore (when I'm being a RPG Geek), but, sigh, just a little attention to a detail like this goes a long way....

i know what you mean, it almost seems that a rule to make a work of fantasy is that it must take place in our past... Tolkien made it kinda work... but are we supposed to believe that all the strange creatures in guild wars decided at some point to take a boat west?
(aparently the elves already left... :smiley: )

Sister Tuck
17-02-2006, 19:29
Actually Tyria is an alternate dimmension.... Another "brane" in the vast membranes of string theory as can be seen by this very simple equation. :laugh:

http://www.lorddragonsden.com/string.gif

Barinthus
17-02-2006, 19:31
That'd be totally awesome if some stuff were based on ancient American and African civilizations.

Perhaps chapter 3???

wind
17-02-2006, 22:32

But how obvious is that "old news"?

Do a search on "lunar" or "moon".

Any other post where that subject is mentioned, let alone having a thread dedicated to it, is to obscurely hidden (most have nothing to do with it :wink: ). Hidden to the extent that it can't even be labelled as "old news".

This is hardly a scientific investigation or a dive into lore, but I did find it worth mentioning.

Have you ever noticed that the moon of Tyria is the same moon as that of Earth?

Nifty Easter Egg at least.

I've seen that moon numerous times, it didn't strike me as being out of the ordinary. Hmmmmn? :scratch:

I wonder if an Artist creates something out of the ordinary, enough so that people will actually take notice it. Would this thread be "old news"? :cool:

Aladar
17-02-2006, 23:21

With barbeque spare ribs!

Arctus Redryn
17-02-2006, 23:48
The first time I climbed Anvil Rock I spent about 10 minutes admiring the beautiful moon and surrounding mountains...yet I never noticed that it was Luna herself.

Look at the night skyscape in Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and then tell me that there are only so many things you can do with the sky!

Yep. When the sky was clear at night, sometimes I would just stand there and gaze at the stars. Now...where is The Lady? :wink:

Let's see, at latest count Jupiter alone had 63, so quite a few ways.

Hm...I have not checked this recently, but I thought that number was the total number of known moons in our Solar System?

Actually Tyria is an alternate dimmension.... Another "brane" in the vast membranes of string theory as can be seen by this very simple equation. :laugh:

You know, the sad thing is I can understand some of that... :shocked:

Quintus Antonius
18-02-2006, 00:02

Let's not get Quintus the Scholar started on Quantum Theory...I'd take up the entire board's bandwidth with it, haha.

Sister Tuck
18-02-2006, 15:12
The first time I climbed Anvil Rock I spent about 10 minutes admiring the beautiful moon and surrounding mountains...yet I never noticed that it was Luna herself.

Yep. When the sky was clear at night, sometimes I would just stand there and gaze at the stars. Now...where is The Lady? :wink:

Hm...I have not checked this recently, but I thought that number was the total number of known moons in our Solar System?

You know, the sad thing is I can understand some of that... :shocked:

Kudos to you! It's just a hobbie for me. Took me quite a while to get the gist of it but I more or less understand it now..... sometimes less.

Oh.. and to Quintus Antonius, it's string theory not quantum theory. Just pointing that out. No offence intended

Quintus Antonius
18-02-2006, 16:55
Kudos to you! It's just a hobbie for me. Took me quite a while to get the gist of it but I more or less understand it now..... sometimes less.

Oh.. and to Quintus Antonius, it's string theory not quantum theory. Just pointing that out. No offence intended

String theory is a fundamental block which Quantum Physics is built upon. It helps to explain how multiple dimensions and universes can exist and particle flow between them works. It's still fundamental physics, yes, but what I meant when I said that is, if we are getting involved with multi-universal theories (multiverse), then I can lecture for hours on it. In other words, string theory and how it relates the Earth to Tyria via our moons in some cross dimensional, cross universal shift in the space-time continuum, opens the door for massive discussion of the principles laid out by quantum theory.

Sister Tuck
18-02-2006, 17:20
In other words, string theory and how it relates the Earth to Tyria via our moons in some cross dimensional, cross universal shift in the space-time continuum, opens the door for massive discussion of the principles laid out by quantum theory.

I know. That is why I posted what I did. My Spouse accused me of wanting to make people's brains explode. or was that Branes?

PrometheusG
18-02-2006, 17:21
I think Feynman once said something to the effect of "if someone claims to understand quantum mechanics, they don't really get it"
He didn't think anyone could really understand it. And by extension, string theory.

In regards to the Earth and Tyrian moons..."Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Freud
Don't try to read anything too deep into the moons looking similar. They were likely just lazy.

Quintus Antonius
18-02-2006, 17:22
I know. That is why I posted what I did. My Spouse accused me of wanting to make people's brains explode. or was that Branes?

That begs the question, would the brain explode or implode?

And what's a little brain death between friends anyway, right?

MixedVariety
18-02-2006, 17:26
Actually, even though the game of Guild Wars is where this discovery originated, this is so off-topic it belongs in...you guessed it.

Sister Tuck
18-02-2006, 17:31
That begs the question, would the brain explode or implode?

And what's a little brain death between friends anyway, right?

LOL :cloud9: I love that you got the pun! Not that I thought for a minute that you would not understand it. hummmm I think Implode, becoming yet another micro dimmension. If it exploded it might just cause a new universe to be created yet again. Could that be it? Brain overload = explosion = new universe = Big Bang? nah.....:wink:

hotdogtesting
18-02-2006, 21:12
With green cheese. :grin:

And little green men living on it. Cannabalistic... savage... little... green... men... ARRRRRRGGggghhhh.........

That looks like a snippit from the super string theory involving the angular realization of a 2-D object into a 3-D object through wave oscillations.

Arctus Redryn
19-02-2006, 02:07
That looks like a snippit from the super string theory involving the angular realization of a 2-D object into a 3-D object through wave oscillations.

Impressive. The only parts I could dicern were the math parts...I have no idea what the significance of the equations is.

I think Feynman once said something to the effect of "if someone claims to understand quantum mechanics, they don't really get it"
He didn't think anyone could really understand it. And by extension, string theory.

Well, Feynman probably meant that you cannot understand quantum physics from a logical, intuitive perspective...however, you can understand the math.