PDA

View Full Version : Tyrian Landmasses

SilentMoon
17-02-2006, 17:37
Inspired by the creation of this new section of the forum, I've taken upon myself to enlarge the scope of the research activity. Why keep only to history and paleontology? Here's some geography. :cool:

The basic idea is that, similar to what one might do with real Earth continents, it should be possible to figure out the different tectonic plates composing the world of Tyria simply by looking at its seas and mountain ranges. As you may know, moutains are generally the result of twoplates colliding with each other (such as the Himalaya), whereas larger seas and oceans can hide the existence of a rift, where plates are getting away from each other (such as the Atlantic).

The map I use is the one hosted on GWOnline's cartography section (http://www.gwonline.net/page.php?p=127).
The two most obvious features are:
- The shiverpeak moutains, separating Ascalon from Kryta and from the southern desert.
- The Krytan sea
We also notice lesser moutain ranges in the western part of the desert, and between Kryta and the Maguuma Jungle, as well as a zone of volcanic activity in the Ring of Fire Islands.

The starting point of my theory is that a rift exists at the bottom of the Krytan sea, and even across Kryta itself up to the Divinity Coast closed sea, and all the way south to the Ring of Fire. Hints of this rift are:
- Volcanic activity in the Ring of Fire
- Peculiar channel shape of the sea itself
- Folded landmass at the western tip of the desert
- Presence of an atoll-like island right on the rift path (ex-Lion's Arch Arena), likely an old volcano.
- Tortured canyon geography within Kryta (Cursed Lands)
- Entry spot to the underground realms (Temple of the Ages)
On my map, the tentative position of the rift is figured in blue.

Going from there, I explain all moutain ranges as the collision of two or more tectonic plates. Thus I end up with four distinct plates, Shown on the map with solid yellow borders between them.

http://www.silent-moon.com/Pics/GW/GWOworldmap_landmass_small.jpg
(HQ version here (http://www.silent-moon.com/Pics/GW/GWOworldmap_landmass.jpg))

What does this tell us? Well... work is still in progress. However we will probably see in the distant future the Krytan and Maguuma plates drifting always farther away from each other, and Kryta itself being torn apart in the process...
Amnoon Oasis might also lose its access to the ocean as moutains to the west rise higher, making the desert even more dry than it already is.

Comments and corrections are of course welcome. :)

teh Monkeys
17-02-2006, 17:54
Very interesting, and a nice change from all the historical and lore ramblings going on in here. ;)

Keep it up.

Barinthus
17-02-2006, 19:54
Welcome, SilentMoon!

Yes, geographical studies are more than welcome here! Based on my limited knowledge of geography your suggestions seem to be sound.

I'm curious what others have to say and also keep in mind in few months from now we will see more of GW World - Cantha! It'll be interesting to see where they fit in this picture.

zweistein
17-02-2006, 21:58
Welcome, SilentMoon!

Yes, geographical studies are more than welcome here! Based on my limited knowledge of geography your suggestions seem to be sound.

I'm curious what others have to say and also keep in mind in few months from now we will see more of GW World - Cantha! It'll be interesting to see where they fit in this picture.

Or where Battle isles fit map

Quintus Antonius
18-02-2006, 02:28
Great topic.

Hey, teh Monkeys, wouldn't a study of geography and tectonic plate movement be...you know...historical? :tongue:

Anyway, I was thinking the same thing as you awhile back, SilentMoon. From the shape of the Orr peninsula and the Sea of Sorrows, it is obvious they were once connected. The only problem is, we don't have a great view of what is to the north or east of Tyria...

teh Monkeys
18-02-2006, 09:45
Hey, teh Monkeys, wouldn't a study of geography and tectonic plate movement be...you know...historical? :tongue:

I focus on cultural history, not geograhpical. :p

Lazarus Dio
19-02-2006, 21:05
Nice work SilentMoon. There is something about the shape of the Krytan Landmass that bothers me. IMO I think that we could reduce the number of plates to a Kryta/Maguuma Landmass, Ascalon Landmass, and an Amnoon/Orr Landmass.

Also, I whipped up a quick topo map of Tyria. However, I've never used imageshack and can't seem to get it to work. The map is extremely rough and probably very inaccurate but it is a start. Ideally, we could work on the individual regions or even areas for detail and then combine for a highly accurate map. Anyway, I'm putting this post in this thread because I believe if we have a detailed look at what is going on geographicly, plates and plate movement could be deduced.

Inercia
20-02-2006, 01:19
Do not forget the hidrothermal activity in bergen hot springs.
I just don't know if you could join the amnoon and ascalon plates as being just one plate.

Garumn
20-02-2006, 01:38
great,now we need to discuss how does the climate affects all this.for example Kryta is influenced by the mild sea coast climate,making a nice change to snowy paths of Shiverpeak mountains.

SilentMoon
20-02-2006, 12:27
Do not forget the hidrothermal activity in bergen hot springs.
I just don't know if you could join the amnoon and ascalon plates as being just one plate.
Good catch with the Hot Springs! One more clue to the presence of a rift where I put it above. :)

Regarding the merging of the Amnoon and Ascalon plates... I considered it as well, but I see two arguments going against it:

- It becomes more difficult to explain the formation of the moutain range separating Ascalon from the desert --although admitedly, it could come from much older tectonic events. The mountains *are* much smaller than the Shiverpeaks, after all.

- We know for a fact that the desert was once at least partially underwater (see this thread (http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=385311) for example). Since we have no indication that any other region of Tyria was underwater as well at some point, we can't really explain this with a current age of colder climate, which would lead to a lowering of the water level.
More likely, the Amnoon plate kept pushing northward against the Ascalon and Kryta plates, slowly emerging above sea level.

It also works well with the remaining seas trapped between Amnoon and the shiverpeaks, slowly closing...

Inercia
20-02-2006, 17:03
if only the mobs would start dropping seismographs and gps receivers for us to make a complete survey of the plates and their movement... :grin:

also lets not forget the paleontological evidences... we have those giant fossils (i know they aren't quite fossils, but i think they are assumed to be of the giganticus lupicus) only in ascalon and the desert... if i am not mistaken we don't see any in kryta and magumma (or do we? im saying this of memory). this could be a evidence that these two plates have been connected for a very long time...

Lazarus Dio
20-02-2006, 19:51
Good catch with the Hot Springs! One more clue to the presence of a rift where I put it above. :)

Regarding the merging of the Amnoon and Ascalon plates... I considered it as well, but I see two arguments going against it:

I agree that Amnoon and Ascalon are separate plates. I hope my post didn't imply that! My original proposal was a merging of Maguuma and Kryta. I'm not quite comfortable separating the Orrian Peninsula from Amnoon. Remember, that was once a full landmass before the Cataclysm. Assuming that current lore is accurate, the Cataclysm was not a natural occurance and not caused by geological forces.

After thinking about this and staring at your map I have a second proposal.

-Subtract the southern tip of your Krytan Landmass and include it as a part of the Amnoon plate. This plate (Amnoon) moves Due West.

-Ascalon remains traveling in a Southwesterly direction.

-What remains of the Krytan Landmass is really the Southern tip of a larger plate. This plate moves to the Southeast or East/Southeast.

-This leaves the Maguuma Landmass which travels to the Northwest (about the angle of the lower arrow).

The interaction of 3 plates *could* account for the sudden rise of the Shiverpeaks. This also remains consistant with the Hot Spring evidence (which is a great point!).

Thoughts? :scratch:

Edit: oh man, seismograph drops! That would help so much! Good point bringing up the fossil evidence. That is not something I quite undersand though. :huh:

Barinthus
21-02-2006, 01:12
Basically it works like this using Earth as a fictional example.

Suppose there's one specie of dinosaur named eratimus rex and fossils of that specie has been found in western Africa and eastern South America and nowhere else. Those fossils are of same age.

Then it can be deducted that western Africa and eastern South America once was connected explaining the presence of fossils of the same specie.

Lazarus Dio
21-02-2006, 15:05
Well that makes sense. Now we need the paleontologists working on this case!

Barinthus
24-12-2006, 18:43
I'd love to see Silentmoon's work to be expanded to the rest of the Tyria (the world)

This map would be a nice place to start with

http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4603707&postcount=73

Zaishen Adherent
24-12-2006, 19:43
I believe it would be more accurate to draw up two major plates, of the same calibre seen in any Atlas like the ones pulling apart in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. The plates you've drawn up are more to the scale of those that formed, say the smaller mountains such as those found in the middle of England(pennines).
What would, imo be far more useful, is a map of these major plates. I can see two, at the moment. A fault line should run through the Shiverpeaks and down the western coast of Elona, maybe taking a detour for the Ring of Fire.