PDA

View Full Version : Of Things Religious

zweistein
17-02-2006, 21:54
(this is just fact compilation)

Lets look at map of known temples to deities and locations related to them on Tyrian continent:

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4382/worldmaptemples7bi.th.jpg (http://img340.imageshack.us/my.php?image=worldmaptemples7bi.jpg)

Note two things:

1] All the temples are in Northen part of Tyria, there is no evidence of temples to known deities in other parts of world (like Southern Shiverpeaks, Crystal desert, )

2] They are generally far away from Bloodstones, Arrah and Ascension place. But Closes to bloodstones are usually Major Temples (if we count Temple on rotscales island as major Temple (which i didnt on this map, while i marked Lysas temple ...)).

Since architecture of The Falls Balthazars temple is similar to architecture or Grenths temple in Lormars Pass, and they are closest temples to bloodstones. It might be that Theese temples were created as "Guardians of bloodstones" while Arrah was guardian of Key-bloodstone.

And both deities that have guardian temples do grant entrance to their realms to Tyrians when Tyria has "favor of gods".

I would say its not just coincidence.

---

Lets Examine Favor

Just several years ago (before searing), statues were always alive, it seems that Tyria used to have Favor of gods all the time.

Now, gods grant favor only sometimes, only when Tyria has fought and won in Halls of Heroes.

Its quite radical change of policy. What caused it? Were Tyrians punished for allowing searing by their weakness? Do gods now only favor us when we show strenght?

As for Favor efects:

Every temple goes to like - suddenly, water pours on Melandrus statue, Dwaynas and Lysas statue reasemble themself, Grenths and Balthazars start displaying properties of their kingdons (coldness and heat)

When Tyria looses favor, Shrines return to their dead state.

When person kneels, gods aways reply in form of avatar, that offers services in return for bit of gold.

Some avatars offer nothing and only talk.
Some offer Dwaynas blessing (every god offers dwaynas blessing)
Some offer Strength (they increase life and magic aplitude)
Some offer Entrance to kingdon of their god for Ascended.

Lets see avatars:

Dwayna: Winged human girl
Lysa: Etheral Face
Grenth: Shaddow
Batlthazar: Ghostly Hero
Melandru: Druid

---

One can force gods to favor him (via Crystals from Elona Reach).

---

Raised questions:

1] Why can every god offer Dwaynas blessing and not only dwayna?
2] Why are all god statues are same, was it one culture that build them?
3] Who did build Greths Lornar and Bathazars Falls temples?
4] Why is no Temple located in southern part of Tyria, Why is none in Crystal desert when Desert is place of ascension?
5] What are desert crystals, where do they take power?
6] Where are remaining bloodstones?

(Also, there are usually Two seers in same location with one Elioden. coincidence? )

teh Monkeys
17-02-2006, 22:55
Nice work on the map, really. :)

2] They are generally far away from Bloodstones, Arrah and Ascension place. But Closes to bloodstones are usually Major Temples (if we count Temple on rotscales island as major Temple (which i didnt on this map, while i marked Lysas temple ...)).

Since architecture of The Falls Balthazars temple is similar to architecture or Grenths temple in Lormars Pass, and they are closest temples to bloodstones. It might be that Theese temples were created as "Guardians of bloodstones" while Arrah was guardian of Key-bloodstone.

And both deities that have guardian temples do grant entrance to their realms to Tyrians when Tyria has "favor of gods".

Then the stones were dropped, one by one, into the volcano off the southern shore of the Kingdom of Kryta. And the gods left this world forever, confident that they had balanced out their gift and circumvented greed.

As is ever the case with peace, it once again came to and end when the volcano eruped, spitting out the five stones and scattering them across Tyria.

After they were created, the Bloodstones were sealed away inside Abbadon's Mouth until it erupted about 100 years ago.

I would say it is just a coincidence.

Very good question. Maybe some landed in sea.. maybe they're not even on the continent of Tyria anymore..

(Also, there are usually Two seers in same location with one Elioden. coincidence? )

Are we sure there are multiple Seers or is it just THE Seer that appears in several missions? Always wondered..

Quintus Antonius
18-02-2006, 02:06
As a member of TAOS, and the head of the Guild Wars Paleoanthropological Society, this is my field of interest, and I hope my explanations can answer some of your questions sufficently.

(this is just fact compilation)

Lets look at map of known temples to deities and locations related to them on Tyrian continent:

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4382/worldmaptemples7bi.th.jpg (http://img340.imageshack.us/my.php?image=worldmaptemples7bi.jpg)

Awesome job on that map. Personally, I think something of that caliber should be posted on the main site. It is a great map for casual explorers, sightseekers, and researchers alike!

I would agree completely there. If you are familiar with my research into the Mursaat, you may already know that I proposed exactly the same thing earlier. I believe the Mursaat are the builders of these Temples, at sometime before they abandoned worship of the Old Gods.

Lets Examine Favor

Just several years ago (before searing), statues were always alive, it seems that Tyria used to have Favor of gods all the time.

Now, gods grant favor only sometimes, only when Tyria has fought and won in Halls of Heroes.

Its quite radical change of policy. What caused it? Were Tyrians punished for allowing searing by their weakness? Do gods now only favor us when we show strenght?

Ah, I believe I can answer this question.

"In the middle of the Mists is a...tear in the favric of the comsmos, the point of perfect balance between all forces... This place is known as the Rift, and there is nothing to which it does not connect, nothing that cannot be reached from inside it..." (Guild Wars 70)

"Using a spell of his own devising and the sacrifice of many souls, Lord Odran, a powerful arcanist who specialized in the study of temporal distortions, opened a portal that offered him access to the Mists and eventually into the Rift itself..." (Guild Wars 71)

"When Odran's mortal body died, the wards and enchantments that kept his portals hidden failed, and the gates to the Hall of Heroes were laid open to all who were able to find them. The wizard lord had been canny though; Odran knew that one day he too might be ensconced in the Hall of Heroes, so he hid the portals in the most treacherous locations he could find. The fear of death, he surmised, would keep the meek at bay.

But a long time has passed, and it is clear now that the wizard lord, like the gods before him, underestimated the greed of men. Over time, the whereabouts of the portals have been revealed. Though they remain difficult to get to, there are those with enough skill and enough bravery to reach them, and every day the numbers of intruders to the Hall of Heroes rises.

An unending battle for supremacy rages inside the Hall. The spirit inhabitants have taken to playing groups of mortals against each other for sport, placing bets on which will make it farthest and giving special aid to those they favor. Control of the Hall itself has its rewards-and costs as well." [Guild Wars 72]

So, as you can see, access to the Hall was not granted to us by any god, but rather, stolen by a wizard. It is his techology/magic that allows us to get to the Rift and Hall. Once he died, anyone could go to the Rift, but the spirits of the Hall still protected it and guarded the portals. However, they somehow found out that watching people fight is entertaining, and allow access to the strongest people. It is there that "favor" comes from.

In essence, each in-game server is another parallel universe to our own server. The Rift connects all of these multiverses, and because they are so similar, the spirits of the Hall let powerful groups from each of these universes into the Hall to battle for their entertainment. It is not a matter of punishment, and it is not related to the Searing.

Raised questions:

The god statues are all the same because at one time, the gods walked among the people of Tyria. Thus, the different cultures know what they looked like and were able to cast statues in their image very accurately. At that point in time, everyone coexisted, as it was before magic, and before humans had a strong standing. Thus, the cultures that built the temples were able to do so with remarkable similarity that shows the connection that the entire world had before the gift of magic.

I would argue that the ancient Mursaat, or the people that became the Mursaat did. See my article for my evidence to this.

The remaining Bloodstones could be anywhere. I think we will find out in Chapter 2.

Scott the Green
18-02-2006, 03:30
By "shrine", did you mean the statues? If so, you missed the statue of Lyssa just outside Ascalon City (to the north of what used to be the actor's stage).

Also, isn't there a statue of Melandru near the boatman who takes you Riverside Province? It's been a while since I've been out there, but I remember there being something there, a bit south of the Henge of Denravi, but not as far south as Maguuma Stade.

I'm just mentioning these in the interest of completeness.

Did anyone else notice that there are 4 shrines/temples on pretty much a single line of latitude? The two southernmost marked Melandru shrines, the temple of Grenth, and the temple of Lyssa all sit along a line (with the temple of Lyssa sitting just a bit below it). I don't know if there's any significance to it, but it jumped out at me.

Also, the two Balthazar shrines and two of the Dwayna shrines also line up with each other. Could we be seeing realms of influence, denoted by the areas the statues range over?

EliteMongoose
18-02-2006, 04:39
Great investigation/map.

zweistein
18-02-2006, 09:20
By "shrine", did you mean the statues? If so, you missed the statue of Lyssa just outside Ascalon City (to the north of what used to be the actor's stage).

Also, isn't there a statue of Melandru near the boatman who takes you Riverside Province? It's been a while since I've been out there, but I remember there being something there, a bit south of the Henge of Denravi, but not as far south as Maguuma Stade.

Thhaks for pointing out theese two, i missed them

Here is updated map:

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8835/worldmaptemples3ag.th.jpg (http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=worldmaptemples3ag.jpg)

zweistein
18-02-2006, 09:33
I would agree completely there. If you are familiar with my research into the Mursaat, you may already know that I proposed exactly the same thing earlier. I believe the Mursaat are the builders of these Temples, at sometime before they abandoned worship of the Old Gods.

But we see same strutures in Battle Isles, and inside Grenths realm. While Battle isles ocurence can be explained as Mursaat were in that region too, there is hole with Realm ... maybe Mursaat wisited it and were inspired, but their known genuine architecture is wery different (but that can be explained as they got rid of this style in process of abandoing old gods) Or maybe realm just mirrors current world to some degree (we have other evidence for that).

In essence, each in-game server is another parallel universe to our own server. The Rift connects all of these multiverses, and because they are so similar, the spirits of the Hall let powerful groups from each of these universes into the Hall to battle for their entertainment. It is not a matter of punishment, and it is not related to the Searing.

(i like that different servers can be considered paralel universes ... )

I think that this is lacking a bit. If it was matter of victory before searing, we could have seen lost favor sometimes, and since favor was present ovel all known paralel dimesions simultaneously, Searing definitelly changed something. Or Searing was fueled by that change (charr saw change comming and used imbalance in divine force to create searing ...)

The god statues are all the same because at one time, the gods walked among the people of Tyria. Thus, the different cultures know what they looked like and were able to cast statues in their image very accurately. At that point in time, everyone coexisted, as it was before magic, and before humans had a strong standing. Thus, the cultures that built the temples were able to do so with remarkable similarity that shows the connection that the entire world had before the gift of magic.

Well, i agree that people knew gods apearance as they saw them personally, but still, all shrines are nearly identical, while other depictions of gods wary a lot from them (see ascalon drawing near Simon the Scribe.)

The remaining Bloodstones could be anywhere. I think we will find out in Chapter 2.

We shall see

Quintus Antonius
18-02-2006, 17:02
This is just a personal hypothesis, consider it by no means official lore:

I don't think Lord Odrin was human. I have a feeling he might have been some other species, such as Mursaat, and may help to explain the Mursaat's current position.

Serena Corvidae
18-02-2006, 17:47
Unless it was through the tear in the fabric of reality created by Lord Odran that the Mursaat and Seers entered the world...

Quintus Antonius
18-02-2006, 18:02
Unless it was through the tear in the fabric of reality created by Lord Odran that the Mursaat and Seers entered the world...

That's also a distinct possibility. I really hope we are able to find out more about Odrin in coming chapters.

Zaxares
19-02-2006, 23:50
zweistein: Great map! You also missed one more shrine to Melandru in the D'Alessio Seaboard mission, though.

Lytha
20-02-2006, 02:03
Yes, great map. :) Here's some more additions:

You missed a statue of Lyssa in Sage Lands (east of the map.)
And another statue (Dwayna, IIRC) in Dreadnaught Drift (near Maw the Mountainheart's hideout.)
And there's another Seer in Hell's Precipe (along the eastern shore.)

Zaxares
20-02-2006, 02:30

And another statue (Dwayna, IIRC) in Dreadnaught Drift (near Maw the Mountainheart's hideout.)

Yep, the one in Dreadnaught's Drift is a statue to Dwayna.

zweistein
22-02-2006, 17:13
zweistein: Great map! You also missed one more shrine to Melandru in the D'Alessio Seaboard mission, though.

Thanks for corrections, latest map is here:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1773/worldmaptemples3ag1ga.th.jpg (http://img69.imageshack.us/my.php?image=worldmaptemples3ag1ga.jpg)

Eothain Tirion
24-02-2006, 16:02
Missed another one to lyssa in ascalon its near east of the ruins of surmia mission.

Also the one you consider a temple to lyssa in the ice imp cave is just a shrine as it dosnt have all that wall and other stuff etc etc that the others do.

Plus where is that bloodstone in the sourthern shiverpeaks exactly i dont remember it.

zweistein
24-02-2006, 18:17
Missed another one to lyssa in ascalon its near east of the ruins of surmia mission.

ill investigate it

Also the one you consider a temple to lyssa in the ice imp cave is just a shrine as it dosnt have all that wall and other stuff etc etc that the others do.

Well, that location is special enough to get temple status ("Lysas stereo", IDS drops, etc ... )

Plus where is that bloodstone in the sourthern shiverpeaks exactly i dont remember it.

Its in Ice Caves mission.

Barinthus
24-02-2006, 22:36
A shrine of Melandru in Twin Serpeants Lake region.

Nothing new - but the sight of the statue in distance was inspiring to my group which was at 60% dp so I just felt inspired to take a screenie lol. The sucky part is that we didn't have the favor ha ha

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/9528/melandrushrine1qb.th.jpg (http://img111.imageshack.us/my.php?image=melandrushrine1qb.jpg)

Waravil the Warrior
26-02-2006, 17:19
Are you going to make a map of the Shrines in Ascalon before the Searing?

Aladar
26-02-2006, 20:34

Its quite radical change of policy. What caused it? Were Tyrians punished for allowing searing by their weakness? Do gods now only favor us when we show strength?

You were on the right track, but I can answer this particular question for you. As Lord Odrian (sp?) found his way into the Rift, he eventually made his way into the Hall of Heroes. Of course, as we all know, the Hall is meant for those whose valor and bravery while alive were of the highest caliber -- they were someone of the Gods' own vision of honor. When an unclean (and still alive) Odrian entered the Hall, the heroes enshrined in the Hall became enfuriated. Of course, being ghosts, they could do nothing to stop him. All the swings of their etheral blades and the chops of their ghostly axes could do nothing to stop his intrusion.

Lord Odrian, while in the Hall of Heroes, realized that he could use various places in the Hall to transport himself quickly to all parts of Tyria. This is evidenced by the OLD Tombs of the Primeval Kings and the statues of Grenth and Balthazar scattered around Tyria that teleport those who show their allegiance to the Gods to either the Underworld or the Fissure of Woe. Both of these places are otherworldly.

Odrian began to keep these portals open for his exclusive use in the most remote places in the world. However, it seems now that only two portals remain -- the now-desecrated Tombs of the Primeval Kings and the entrance in the Canthan Battle Isles. The heroes of old began to devise a plot, and soon they found way to interact with the physical realm and quite literally (excuse the gratuitous violence) hacked Odrian to pieces.

NOTE: To get a better picture of what I mean by "interaction with the physical realm," think "Chaos Axe." This is a weapon that can interact with the physical realm, but also is able to be wielded by unworldly (ghostly?) beings in the Fissure of Woe. Think also of the sword and bow that the Ghostly Hero uses in the Heroes' Ascent battles. Both of these can injure players.

However, Odrian's portals remained open and there was nothing the ghosts of these champions could do about it. As time passed, human exploration brought them to the locations of these portals and they began to use them to gain entry into the Hall of Heroes. Of course, a magnificent place such as the Hall of Heroes was bound to be contested; every person of every walk of life would want control of such a holy and beautiful place for themselves. This led, as many things do in human existance, to war. Perhaps it wasn't a war in such a political scale as we are used to seeing, but perhaps a Crusade of sorts.

The ghostly heroes, who all their lives were spurred on by the thought of glorious battle, faced a strange situation. Should they allow these new champions to fight in their halls or should they slay them where they stood? The heroes came to an agreement (I think I read in parts of the lore that the ancient heroes made bets on which teams would win, although I don't know what they would bet with), with the consent of the Gods, that these new factions would fight each other through the Underworld, the Sacred Temples, and all other facets of the Heroes' Ascent, into the Hall of Heroes and battle for control of the Hall for their own peoples. The winner of the final battle would gain the Favor of the Gods and their people would gain all the blessings of the holiest of holy beings.

NOTE: It may seem as though I have little documentation for all this, but believe me, this isn't just conjecture. If you head to the Tombs now, talk to some of the Zaishen there, then enter the Dungeon for yourself. Also, head to the Battle Isles and speak to some of the NPCs there as well. I know I read all of this somewhere.

Quintus Antonius
26-02-2006, 22:04
NOTE: It may seem as though I have little documentation for all this, but believe me, this isn't just conjecture. If you head to the Tombs now, talk to some of the Zaishen there, then enter the Dungeon for yourself. Also, head to the Battle Isles and speak to some of the NPCs there as well. I know I read all of this somewhere.

http://forums.gwonline.net/showpost.php?p=3923824&postcount=3

Yes, it looks like you just regurgitated alot of what I said when I originally answered his questions.

It is all in the Guild Wars Manuscripts that came with his game. Refer to my post, #3 in this thread, which I have provided a link to, to see where I quoted and supported everything I said, and everything you more or less said as well.

Aladar
27-02-2006, 01:07
http://forums.gwonline.net/showpost.php?p=3923824&postcount=3

Yes, it looks like you just regurgitated alot of what I said when I originally answered his questions.

It is all in the Guild Wars Manuscripts that came with his game. Refer to my post, #3 in this thread, which I have provided a link to, to see where I quoted and supported everything I said, and everything you more or less said as well.

Oh, my apologies, I hadn't even read that post. I'll be sure to be more thorough before I decide to take 15 minutes to type something out next time. :rolleyes:

Quintus Antonius
27-02-2006, 02:00
Oh, my apologies, I hadn't even read that post. I'll be sure to be more thorough before I decide to take 15 minutes to type something out next time. :rolleyes:

Haha, yeah, well we'll just call it a "review". Still, nothing wrong with what you posted, if anything, it just backs up what I said. If multiple people reach the same conclusion, it is probably the right one.

Warison
27-02-2006, 18:30
This may be a little off-topic, but do we know where the 4th bloodstone and the keystone are located? They do not seem to appear on Zweistein's map

theEnhance
27-02-2006, 22:04
no, we do not know where they are.

Greenery
28-02-2006, 09:05
Just a feedback from a Guild Wars Lore lover (geat work guys!), could you please change the text colour for Balthazar (yellow). I might be a minority here but I have issues with that glaring yellow colour. Thanks for the map. Now I could go and explore those places.

Keep up the good work!

zweistein
19-03-2006, 20:29
Discovered this bit of lore:

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/5128/gods4og.jpg

Quintus Antonius
19-03-2006, 22:57
Discovered this bit of lore:

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/5128/gods4og.jpg

I wonder what they mean by "worlds": literal planets, dimensions, other continents?

Cantha could arguably called a new world.

Eratimus
30-10-2006, 11:08
Can't believe I missed this one.

1] Why can every god offer Dwaynas blessing and not only dwayna?
Does it say the enchantment is "Dwayna's Blessing" or is it simply a blessing?

Well, now that we have seen Factions, we see their representaitons when it comes to atleast the murals are different. The Canthans architecture of the Gods are differetn then the Tyrians. So far we have not seen the representations of the Gods in Elona, if so could someone provide. So then so far it is safe to state that the Statues we see in Tyria is a Tyria continent specific architecutre. Now, we do not know for certtain as there is noe vidense otherwise. But, it is safe to say that whether or not they were built before the tribes united under Doric as the single High Planes tribe, or when they formed Ascalon, or after Kryta and Orr came to be, that as Quintus suggested that they all took on the same style for the statues. Or another hyphothesis is, if the united tribes who became Ascalon covered the whole of N. Tyria, ie where Maguuma, Kryta, and Ascalon are now, that they had built the tempels to the gods themselves. Another Hyphothesis is that they were built by creatures prior to human arrival.

I agree with Quintus' thoughts on this, as he has presented in his Anthropological study on the Mursaat.

4] Why is no Temple located in southern part of Tyria, Why is none in Crystal desert when Desert is place of ascension?

There are statues of the Gods, same Tyrian architecture in the Augury Rock.

Those who built those statues there may also be the same people who built the other statues in Tyria. Probably the same people who constructed the Temple of Ages, Temple of Balthazar in the battle isles. Though this can not be proven.

But due to the difference in architecture, I would suggest that those who built the deity statues are not the same who built the Ascension Pillers "the pillers in the desert that have the 4 hooded figures and showing the glowing ascension glyph.

So, right now the only location that the Tyrian versions of the Deity statues are found int he desert is in Augury Rock.

5] What are desert crystals, where do they take power?

It has been suggested that they are fine grains of the crystals we find in The Dragons Den, or the crystals used during the Searing. Though the coloration does not match. The sand crystals could simply be normal sand, which is fragments from a number if different stones.

There are 4 and 1 keystone. We know of the one in Fen, the one in the Shiverpeaks, the one in the Fire Isle. We are still missing the 4th bloodstone and the keystone. I am predicting that we will find the 4th one and keystone as part of the NF or part(s) of future ones which will cumminate in a battle or campaign that emcompasses eveyrthing that has happened through out all the chapters. But, that is just a thought.

I wonder what they mean by "worlds": literal planets, dimensions, other continents?

Cantha could arguably called a new world.

I do not forsee the Gods creating different landmasses after they created Planet Tyria as a whole. Meaning, after they created the Cantha continent, I don't see them creating the Tyria/Elona Continent landmass. I think this refers to worlds as in planets. After creating Planet Tyria that they went off after the exodus to create more planets.

The scribe there is a Krytan. If by worlds they mean landmasses, then that would mean that the Kryta area was created first, then Cantha, and Ascalon in what ever order, then Cantha became populated first, as far as we know with humans before going over to the other landmasses that they created first. I don't think that this is the way it happened. He seems to be emphasizing on the creation of their world first. I do not see that as their lands, if they were not actually the first humans to inhabit the land, as we know were the Canthans.

lynx raven raide
02-12-2006, 07:26
sorry to bump an old thread, but i found this when i was concidering doing a similar project, with just the statues. for mine i was going to use the region maps created by MOOMANiBE, so as to get a bit more specific in regards to location. after seing this, i still want to continue, but was wondering if people might be able to supply the mini maps (pressing 'u' ingame) of the aproxamate location. i am very interested to see that spot in Kryta where all 5 statues are located.

Barinthus
02-12-2006, 07:35
Hey Lynx. 5 statues... don't you mean Temple of Ages?

I'm not sure if it was MOOMANiBE's map but someone did a map of all statues in Tyria. If it's not the one you're working on, maybe search for it and see if you can improve upon it? I'd hate to see you to repeat something that has been already done but if you can find ways to make what is already there better, that'd be great.

EDIT: Nvm, it appears that the map I was referring to is in this thread. I cannot view it unfortunately but I think it's the map I had in mind.

lynx raven raide
02-12-2006, 07:43
i am going off the map from this thread. there is a marker there which is a circle (statue) and has all 5. i am trying to look at it now. MOOMANiBE's maps are just the areas, no actual points of intrest.

edit: i think you could be right. i am heading towards there with Kiao Rayne now

Zaa Nayazu
04-12-2006, 14:06
erm, I think the circle you are talking about is the temple of ages.

Zion Farbow
04-12-2006, 14:28
damn this is pretty nice..well thats all i ahve to say cause i gtg school xD

lynx raven raide
04-12-2006, 19:44
yeah, it was ToA... pretty impressive stuff, especially since i went when the region i was in has favour

Barinthus
05-12-2006, 01:28
Nvm Nvm Nvm

lynx raven raide
05-12-2006, 01:38
when i get home, i will start a thread using the maps by MOOMANiBE. i have got Ascalon started, but yeah, more when i start the thread