PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Weapon

Crayak
23-02-2006, 14:56
Can anyone provide info on the ancient weapon in the Arid Sea?
Ive seen it but was never able to get near it. i hear you can pick it up.
http://gw.gamewikis.org/images/1/1b/Ark_close.jpg

Garumn
23-02-2006, 15:05
Where exactly have you seen it? I never been anywhere near it!

Fae
23-02-2006, 15:12
http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=385805&highlight=ancient+weapon

http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=386204&highlight=ancient+weapon

http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=384960&highlight=ancient+weapon

Bunch of threads, information, rumours + speculation about it. All found with "Ancient weapon" in the search thingydoodah :)

Gorani
23-02-2006, 15:34
If you follow the link to the "Arid Sea" in my signature, you will get a map of the area. The weapon is found in the ruined outpost in the NW corner. Go a little bit south of the "W" in weapon.

Yes, it can be picked up, but it does not do anything (like attracting the Enchanted ==> "Keg trick with Summit dwarves"). Read my thread and use "search" to find other speculation about this item.

PS: Just found that the first of Kamara's links is my "Sights" thread:smiley:
Forgive the double post.

Ayarie
23-02-2006, 15:45
If you Search Ancient weapon in the threads youll find a few have posted on it - though from what ive read the major summary was that it was froma broken quest.

Personally i liek the idea that its the weapon that distroyed the desert and if you drop it the world explodes ><

http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=385805&highlight=Ancient+Weapon
http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=386204&highlight=Ancient+Weapon

And in the thread search i found someone whos already looked at the bone story!

http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=361269&highlight=Ancient+Weapon

I would love to find some proper answers to this

Naru Soulfire

Lazarus Dio
23-02-2006, 16:26
I havn't looked at any of these other threads but has anyone commented on the fact that it is at least the same model of the artifact you fetch with necromancer Muune for a quest just outside Sardelac?

Kenagalaz
23-02-2006, 16:32
it's so ancient that no one knows

Crayak
23-02-2006, 16:53
so basicly it boils down to noone really knows :P
thats alright
hehe

Quintus Antonius
23-02-2006, 17:10
There has been speculation that this is either the weapon, or part of the weapon, that was used to by the Elonians to wipe themselves out.

I tend to favor this theory because we have some evidence to support it. Check the various Crystal Desert Civilization threads here in the lore forum for more information.

EliteMongoose
23-02-2006, 18:58
Cool. I've never seen or even heard of that before. Is the weapon itself inside? 'Cuz it appears to be a chest.

Inercia
23-02-2006, 20:59
what i find funny is that it looks just like the arc of alliance from the first indiana jones... maybe itīs just an easter egg/pop reference?

Cyberman
23-02-2006, 21:13
what i find funny is that it looks just like the arc of alliance from the first indiana jones... maybe itīs just an easter egg/pop reference?

I think itīs hard to create such an object without it looking like that. Weīd not recognize it as a sacred object were it formed like a bottle of liquor...

Reverend Loki
23-02-2006, 22:41

You mean, of course, to say "The Ark Of The Covenant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ark_of_the_covenant). There's some similarity, but it reminds me more of something else...

Weīd not recognize it as a sacred object were it formed like a bottle of liquor...
Ah, that's it! It looks like a bottle of one of those bizarre, overly sugared liquors that you see on the shelf behind the bar with the bottom-light on it that's been there since 1983 because noone ever orders what's in it!

And there happens to be a number of people who consider a liquor bottle to be an object as holy as any other.. at least, while there's liquor in it, anyways.

Arkhan The Black
23-02-2006, 22:53
Well from what I learned of mythology you should never open the forbidden mystery box.

Quintus Antonius
23-02-2006, 23:08
Well from what I learned of mythology you should never open the forbidden mystery box.

But it's a forbidden box of mystery, it's all shiny and mysterious and forbidden! We have to open it! Do it now!

Sadly, that is the common response of the human race to such things. The lessons of "Best left well enough alone" never quite sink in, and the tragedies that befell the Elonians befall so many civilizations.

Barinthus
24-02-2006, 00:14
I havn't looked at any of these other threads but has anyone commented on the fact that it is at least the same model of the artifact you fetch with necromancer Muune for a quest just outside Sardelac?

I've been down there already :) Do search of my name under lore forum and I'm sure you will find revelant postings.

I still think those are same items (not the same item, but two of many more). What I want is a good screenie of the item Abbot Pablo pick up in pre-searing catacombs and compare that.

Also I've speculated that the shape on the top of both items are actually Dwayna but have not heard from others on this.

Inercia
24-02-2006, 02:02
You mean, of course, to say "The Ark Of The Covenant. There's some similarity, but it reminds me more of something else...

yes of course, i was err... busy and didnīt had time to search it first... yes that's it... :embarassed:

I think itīs hard to create such an object without it looking like that. Weīd not recognize it as a sacred object were it formed like a bottle of liquor...

sorry but i don't agree, the humans have worshiped lots of different symbols and items over the ages...

The shoe! The shoe! worship the shoe!
(i really love that movie :grin: )

now on the subject in hand:

Also I've speculated that the shape on the top of both items are actually Dwayna but have not heard from others on this.

i agree, i had that same impression too, it really really looks like an angel in the top. But a dwayna representation on a weapon? bit odd, don't you think?
unless that is really a box and the weapon is inside, but even so it is strange... should be Balthazar or grenth in there. I mean, putting the most peace full and kind god on the box guarding a weapon is a bit dangerous, it makes it easier to be opened by mistake (like storing poison in a juice bottle).

Barinthus
24-02-2006, 07:08
I believe it was Quintus who speculated that perhaps this weapon was given to Elonians or whoever disguised as something benefitical but it wasn't resulting in their destruction. Using Dwayna would be a perfect way to fool people.

Eratimus
24-02-2006, 07:57
This is the research thus far that the TAOS has undergone regarding this. Anyone is welcome to come up with a more indepth research information regarding this. Staff members are then incouraged to post the updated findings/article at our staff site.

Ancient Weapons

Image (http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/4664/ancientweapon5he.jpg)

As told by the Elonian, Yannel Brunn;

Long ago, my people lived in a city near here. We came to Ascend and succumbed to our own petty squabbles. We fought day and night, brother againts brother, until one of our number created weapons that would lay low the mightiest warriors and shake the very earth. Such was their power that they brought our great city down, and my people have become nothing more then a memory.

As spoken by another Elonian, there was an "event" that destroyed the Elonian civilization to which we owe the explanation to this Ancient Weapon. The key to finding the weapon is first to find the city that it was used in. After exploraton of the Arid Sea, the city was indeed found, and deep with in it with groups of Enchanted around, the object was found. The relic appears very much like that of the Holy Relic. It is beyond our currently knowledge as to what future or current use it may have.

The Ancient Weapon has been compared to the Holy Relic found in Ascalon, as it is very similar. Although, no current official connections have been established.

EliteMongoose
24-02-2006, 09:02
Could be a pandora's box type of thing?

Dorf Trottel
24-02-2006, 13:30
Its interesting to note that same graphic has been used as a place holder for a basket of apples and stolen goods at various parts of the beta.

Quintus Antonius
24-02-2006, 17:28
This is the research thus far that the TAOS has undergone regarding this. Anyone is welcome to come up with a more indepth research information regarding this. Staff members are then incouraged to post the updated findings/article at our staff site.

Ancient Weapons

Image (http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/4664/ancientweapon5he.jpg)

As told by the Elonian, Yannel Brunn;

Long ago, my people lived in a city near here. We came to Ascend and succumbed to our own petty squabbles. We fought day and night, brother againts brother, until one of our number created weapons that would lay low the mightiest warriors and shake the very earth. Such was their power that they brought our great city down, and my people have become nothing more then a memory.

As spoken by another Elonian, there was an "event" that destroyed the Elonian civilization to which we owe the explanation to this Ancient Weapon. The key to finding the weapon is first to find the city that it was used in. After exploraton of the Arid Sea, the city was indeed found, and deep with in it with groups of Enchanted around, the object was found. The relic appears very much like that of the Holy Relic. It is beyond our currently knowledge as to what future or current use it may have.

The Ancient Weapon has been compared to the Holy Relic found in Ascalon, as it is very similar. Although, no current official connections have been established.

I thought of something the other day.

The Elonian's built the Tower of Ascension and we are told they were infact successful in getting the gods' attention. If that is so, perhaps the Ancient Weapon, or WeaponX as it has been called in other threads, was a gift from the gods, literally a holy object, that was meant to test the worthiness of the Elonians. Similar to the evil clone of yourself you have to fight in Augury Rock, different way of testing, same general principle, to defeat the evil in yourself.

WeaponX may have been an alternative form of a test of spirit, rather than the Doppleganger. Remember, back then, the Desert was still underwater, and as Eratimus has shown, Augury Rock's enterance would have been submerged. So, the gods came up with another way to test the Elonian's spirit. And they failed. Succumbing to their greed, they used WeaponX for their own purposes, and it destroyed them, raising thhe Desert landscape, and forever changing it. Thus, both the Elonians and the gods are indirectly responsible for the change of the watery Desert to the current Desert. It fits both sets of Lore, and goes along with the facts. I think we may actually have figured out the mystery of the Elonians.

Wow, I feel like I just had an epiphany.

Crayak
24-02-2006, 17:35
I thought of something the other day.

The Elonian's built the Tower of Ascension and we are told they were infact successful in getting the gods' attention. If that is so, perhaps the Ancient Weapon, or WeaponX as it has been called in other threads, was a gift from the gods, literally a holy object, that was meant to test the worthiness of the Elonians. Similar to the evil clone of yourself you have to fight in Augury Rock, different way of testing, same general principle, to defeat the evil in yourself.

WeaponX may have been an alternative form of a test of spirit, rather than the Doppleganger. Remember, back then, the Desert was still underwater, and as Eratimus has shown, Augury Rock's enterance would have been submerged. So, the gods came up with another way to test the Elonian's spirit. And they failed. Succumbing to their greed, they used WeaponX for their own purposes, and it destroyed them, raising thhe Desert landscape, and forever changing it. Thus, both the Elonians and the gods are indirectly responsible for the change of the watery Desert to the current Desert. It fits both sets of Lore, and goes along with the facts. I think we may actually have figured out the mystery of the Elonians.

Wow, I feel like I just had an epiphany.

Brilliant, i want to goto that dead outpost this weekend and just explore the small town, ive heard people say you can see thing sthrough the windows

Barinthus
24-02-2006, 22:25
Its interesting to note that same graphic has been used as a place holder for a basket of apples and stolen goods at various parts of the beta.

Eh? Last four times I did that apples mini-quest, the object I carried looked like a basket of apples, not that anicent weapon/holy relic. Same thing for stolen goods - it looked like a chest.

EliteMongoose - that's possible.

theEnhance
24-02-2006, 22:37
I've been down there already :) Do search of my name under lore forum and I'm sure you will find revelant postings.

I still think those are same items (not the same item, but two of many more). What I want is a good screenie of the item Abbot Pablo pick up in pre-searing catacombs and compare that.

Here you go:
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/8316/treasure12ba.th.jpg (http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=treasure12ba.jpg)http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3473/treasure21fx.th.jpg (http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=treasure21fx.jpg)http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/8347/treasure30gy.th.jpg (http://img238.imageshack.us/my.php?image=treasure30gy.jpg)

Barinthus
24-02-2006, 22:49
Well well this object and the holy relic definitely doesn't look like each other at all.

Munne mentioned the holy relic in her quest was retrieved from the Catacombs by Mhenlo. Perhaps it was one of many that were retrieved.

Thanks, theE!

Camaris Spectre
24-02-2006, 22:59
*quietly suspects that the pre and post holy relics were supposed to be the same thing and that the devs forgot to update the placeholder graphic on the post one*

Dorf Trottel
25-02-2006, 01:14
I don't have one with the apples, but this is the stolen goods, circa first day of the March Beta Weekend. Names blacked out of course.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/t_rickaway/gw031.jpg

Barinthus
25-02-2006, 09:02
*shrug* beta doesn't count.

Dorf Trottel
25-02-2006, 10:16
Say what you like. It does not change that this particular graphic has been used as a placeholder numerous times in the past and it should be taken into account when speculating on possible connections. Especially in regards to the ancient weapon which in all accounts; is a remnant from a quest removed during the alpha. I know you dislike to consider stuff like reused artwort. This is a game world though. Realistically you have to take it into account or else you run risk of losing objectivity. You're trying to find underlying storyline information as I gather. You won't always get closer to the truth if you don't also view it from the skeptics angle. This is not intended to be a flame, perhaps a bit blunt. If I have offended I apologize.

Quintus Antonius
25-02-2006, 16:49
Say what you like. It does not change that this particular graphic has been used as a placeholder numerous times in the past and it should be taken into account when speculating on possible connections. Especially in regards to the ancient weapon which in all accounts; is a remnant from a quest removed during the alpha. I know you dislike to consider stuff like reused artwort. This is a game world though. Realistically you have to take it into account or else you run risk of losing objectivity. You're trying to find underlying storyline information as I gather. You won't always get closer to the truth if you don't also view it from the skeptics angle. This is not intended to be a flame, perhaps a bit blunt. If I have offended I apologize.

Your opinion is valid, of course, but I would agree that Beta just can't be taken as a legitimate excuse. The early henchmen were the same models used as the people in the Ascalon military, are we to assume, then, that all the soliders in Ascalon will be replaced by Stephen, Little Thom, Orion, Alesia, and Reyna? I think not.

Furthermore, while you may be right the it is only a placeholder for an object not yet added, or simply forgotten, you must also take other facts into account.

I'm sorry to preach the "Testable and Observable=Science" stint again, but you have to look at this scientifically. The thing, known as the Ancient Weapon, was found near the ghost describing it, and near a large Elonian city, which is also close to the Tower of Ascension that the Elonian's built to gain the attention of the gods, which we know they did. We also know the Desert landscape changed at about the same time that WeaponX was used.

So, even if this is just a placeholder, the rest of the facts support what is being said on their own. What the weapon looks like is largely irrelevent at this point, because we know what it does, and what it did.

Also, if you want to get technical, we are close to the release of Factions, which means you can pretty much surmise that Guild Wars is a "finished" project. Or in other words, everything that needs fixed, graphically anyway, that isn't obviously a glitch, such as the 'end of the world' glitch, which was fixed awhile back, is meant to be the way it is.

So yes, I agree, view it from the skeptics angle. In fact, that is very good advice, and if you read most of what I post, a lot of times that is just what a do. But there is a difference between a skeptic and someone who just won't accept the truth. I believe we are presenting sufficent evidence to support our theory, and I say theory, not hypothesis, because there is evidence to support it. That said, if evidence arrives that is contrary to what has been shown, then we will need to reconsider what we have said; but until that time, this is the best conclusion we can arrive on based on the tested and observed evidence.

Lazarus Dio
25-02-2006, 16:50
Dorf does have a good point. It is possible that if the Ancient Weapon quest had made it into the game it would have gotten its own graphic just as the apples and goods did. On the other hand, that means it would have looked different than the Ark of the Covenant. I like that it does just because I am a fan of Indiana Jones :blush:

theEnhance
25-02-2006, 19:44
I don't see what we are fussing about what it is supposed to look like (ie. the quibbling about it being a reused graphic)

Even if it's supposed to look like something else, that wouldn't change what it is.

In beta you guys claim that the apples and stolen goods looked like it (I only played the last BWE, so I have no idea). However, despite looking like the ancient weapon, did they not still act like apples and stolen goods? Did you not still deliver this "ancient weapon" to Mary Maloney (sp) to have her allow Sarah, Gwen's mom, to make apple pie?

Even after being replaced with their proper graphics, they are still labelled what they were before.

That being said, even if the ancient weapon was changed to a megamechadragon-sword appearance, it will still be labelled "ancient weapon", still lie in the desert, and still do nuts when you pick it up.

ok having gotten that aside..
If I understand correctly this confusion came about when we started comparing it to the ancient relic in ascalon (post).

I will speculate 2 cases:
1. Let us assume that they are indeed similar, and meant to look exactly alike. What good does that do? The best we could draw from that is that now there is an item lying in Ascalon that looks exactly like the ancient weapon and probably functions the same.

From this, the only thing I believe is safe to infer is that the ancient relic caused the searing, as did the ancient weapon cause the destruction of the Elonians.

We can rule out the fact that they are one in the same object, as after completing the quest it is in the hands of Mune, not in the desert.

Back to them being weapons of mass destruction linked to the searing..
This however can also be ruled out because if it was used for the searing, what is it doing lying in ascalon? It should be kept well with the Charr.

As such, the case where they are meant to look exactly the same does not yield any useful information as of now. It could be nothing but a mere coincidence that they look the same.

moving on to the second case:
2. Let us assume that it's a placeholder graphic.
uhh.. oh crap. sorry, when typing the previous case I seem to have lost what I was thinking for this case. The only thing I can say as of now is that

The two objects, ancient relic in ascalon and ancient weapon in the desert, are unrelated. Knowing this does not yield any useful information either.

Right.. sorry for the lengthy post. just wanted to make sure I got my point across. to sum it up:

it doesn't matter whether or not it's a placeholder or reused graphic.

Dorf Trottel
25-02-2006, 19:45
oh no no no, do not misunderstand me Quintus. I am not saying anything like the weapon doesn't exist or that it didn't lead to the downfall of one of the desert people.

What I am saying is that I've read a few threads where people want to link the weapon in the desert to the holy relic munne has you recover merely on them using the same graphic. I just wanted to point out that its hasty to make such a connection when they share a graphic that has been historically used as a place holder throughout the game's development cycle.

Edit: However, to spare the dead horse further beating (she's looking worse for wear as it is), I'll retreat back to lurking and not further disturb the peace anymore for a while!

Quintus Antonius
25-02-2006, 20:59
oh no no no, do not misunderstand me Quintus. I am not saying anything like the weapon doesn't exist or that it didn't lead to the downfall of one of the desert people.

What I am saying is that I've read a few threads where people want to link the weapon in the desert to the holy relic munne has you recover merely on them using the same graphic. I just wanted to point out that its hasty to make such a connection when they share a graphic that has been historically used as a place holder throughout the game's development cycle.

Edit: However, to spare the dead horse further beating (she's looking worse for wear as it is), I'll retreat back to lurking and not further disturb the peace anymore for a while!

Understand, I didn't mean to target my post directly at you, I was also using it to put down people of similar consquence.

I agree completely with what you said: Just because two items look alike (for whatever reason) does not mean they are alike, unless we can scientifically prove it.

It is not our intention to run anyone out of these boards. If you have a legitimate scientifically based hypothesis or input to throw in, then by all means, do so. Just because someone disagrees with you, or you are proven wrong, does not mean you should stop posting.

Barinthus
26-02-2006, 05:06
Dorf - oh please don't worry about it. No offence taken at all! :)

We merely come from two different schools of thought - that's all. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Isn't that the whole point of this forum? To present our arguements for our cases and do an occasional head-banging. While there are times where I already and will disagree with my fellow scholars, I respect their opinions and thoughts.

Ranger Nietzsche
13-03-2006, 11:09
mmm the two PVE artifacts also share an exact resemblance to the relics in the infamous "Relic Runs" battles in the Hall of Heroes. Maybe both of them exist and the ghosts in the rift steal them for billionths of a second (in the rift time is messed up) to force players to chase after them to please the Gods.

Or, more probably, perhaps the reason the ancient weapon destroyed everything was because it should exist as a relic in the rift and was removed by lord Odran. The elonians found it and thought it was a method of passage into the underworld and blew themselves up.