PDA

View Full Version : Just want to share a skill idea...

The Experimentor
25-02-2006, 09:37
I had an Assassin skill idea the other day and posted it at the Official February Suggestion Thread (http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=384684&page=20). I just want to share it here and hear what you think. :wink:

I'd like to donate an assassin skill idea to ANet. :smiley:

Shadow Copy
Description: Teleport to a random nearby location and create two copies of yourself each in a random nearby location. These copies have -25 armor against Holy Damage. The copies die when they have less than 50% of their maximum Health, when they have zero Energy, or after 7-13 seconds. This is an elite skill.
Energy Cost: 10
Activation Time: 5 seconds
Recharge Time: 75 seconds
Linked Attribute: Shadow Arts. Increases copy duration.
Skill Type: Spell.

Notes:
- This skill creates two copies of your Assassin so as to confuse your opponents, whether PvP or PvE. This is based on the classic (or clichéd) ninja magic skill that creates copies of their caster to beguile their foes.
- Simultaneous to the creation of the copies, the spell also teleports your character. With three of your character appearing in random nearby locations, your opponent will be forced to guess which one is the real one immediately upon activating the skill.
- The copies are meant to be virtually indistinguishable from the real character, revealed only upon their demise. They are exact copies of your character and have all your skills. Upon creation, they also have your remaining Health and Energy, plus any conditions, hexes and/or enchantments your character currently had upon activating the skill. They can fight as well as you can. In effect, you are also calling down two copies of yourself to attack your foes.
- To balance them, the copies do not live long, while heavy, dedicated damage can easily kill them with their "die when Health < 50%" clause. Should they use any chain combos or high-cost skills or use up their Energy by any other means, they will also die. Lastly, 10 Energy is expensive for most conventional Assassins while the activation time is rather long. Holy damage hurts them more, and this skill eats up the elite slot in your skill bar.
- The copies do not leave any bodies, fading into shadows upon death.
The inspiration for the skill is pretty obvious, but nevermind that. It's the fun of the idea I'm after. :grin:

Burneyy
25-02-2006, 13:31
wow, thats quite cool, would be very nice to see in real game, but i doubt it tho :( (i like ninja-style things)
and a suggestion: maybe make the fakes graphically diffrent for your own team, like: missing head, lighter, and such stuff.. just so the monks wont waist there energy on fake you's if the'll just die afer some time :P

MaximumSquid
25-02-2006, 16:06
That's a cool idea, but I see massive abuse with a replication skill.

Imagine if 6 people on your team had this. .

What if even 4 people had it, but other members had say ARcane mimicry =/

Combineing this with mineon factory would be almost a garenteed win simply because the enemy would never be able to find the real targets before getting plowed under by "The HOrde"

zweistein
25-02-2006, 17:11
I would make it 25 energy and 1/4 cast time, recharge 60...

The Experimentor
25-02-2006, 17:22
Good point on the army of clones... :shocked: And not to mention Arcane Echo and Echo.

Well, should ANet try it, I trust that they're going to tweak and balance it out first. The idea is theirs now and they can do what they want with it.

For example, they could further weaken the copies. Like have them die when they have less than 2/3rds of their maximum Health. Perhaps they could even have the copies die immediately after taking damage or losing Health. One hit- poof! Gone. That would immediately cut down on the offensive power of the skill since the copies are so easy to kill that way. But the skill would still remain effective as it will still act as one massive mind game for the assassin's opponents. Anyway, such does give DoT AoE some of its usefulness back.

The created clones could have no skills of their own and are just capable of attacking- even sharp players will need time to figure out their target is a clone that way- or that the real assassin just isn't using his skills.

Or, maybe Shadow Copy shuts down all skills the player has (the copies also have their skills shut down). This kills Echo and combos with the skill.

There are lots of ways for them to further balance it out. And the guesswork an opponent has to do against them isn't too bad- 1 out of 3. Even if an entire team brings this skill, they'd have to look all alike to really complete the illusion.

The Experimentor
25-02-2006, 17:25
I would make it 25 energy and 1/4 cast time, recharge 60...

Um, Assassins only have a total Energy of 20, unless they're wearing the Assassin Energy armor... And making the skill interruptible is part of its balance.

Baron LaCroix
26-02-2006, 03:28
Or, you could do what they did in Warcraft III, make the clones do no damage and perhaps even take double damage from everything, and appear blue and near-translucent to your team to differentiate them from the genuine article. I like the idea of using Shadow Clones to confuse the enemy, but to have them actually do damage at all is unfair, because with Arcane Echo it would be crazy stuff. Perhaps, to make it even more in-line with the Warcraft III version, the level of Shadow Arts could increase the NUMBER of clones made...

CHIPS
26-02-2006, 21:46
That's a cool idea, but I see massive abuse with a replication skill.

Imagine if 6 people on your team had this. .

What if even 4 people had it, but other members had say ARcane mimicry =/

Combineing this with mineon factory would be almost a garenteed win simply because the enemy would never be able to find the real targets before getting plowed under by "The HOrde"

Return of the Zergling rush!!!! :laugh:

I like this skill idea. But it gets too dangerous when you have E/A using this skill and Chain Lighting. That means you will get strike by 3 Chain Lightings for each enemy E/A you faces. Pretty dangerous.

Another problem will be R/Me using Oath Shot and Arcane Mimicry, to steal this skill off the ONLY assasin who carry this skill. With Oath Shot, they can clone themselves every 20 seconds. So instead of 6 rangers and 2 monks in a pike team, now you have 1 assasin, 2 monks, 5*3=15 rangers spiking.

That said, there might be ways to "nerf" this skill to get it to work. Such as when it ends, you lost all energy and 300-100 health. Or when it ends, all your skills are disabled for 15 seconds.

MaximumSquid
26-02-2006, 23:39
Another problem will be R/Me using Oath Shot and Arcane Mimicry That would be so horrible I can't even describe it.

Nice idea though! :sunny:

Urda
01-03-2006, 00:05
Upon creation, they also have your remaining Health and Energy, plus any conditions, hexes and/or enchantments your character currently had upon activating the skill.

Death nova kamikazi mop....
Dont wanna meet those suicide commandos in action...

EoE raises to never known dimensions ...lol

not to forget the new 15 assas-underworld-cry of frustration-FoW

Divine intervention spam...

this is an uncontrolable skillcancer...even i like the idea...

maybe they should take only 1/4 damage and just act like you, but not deal damage/fx with their skills.

The Experimentor
01-03-2006, 02:09
Hmmm. Good point. :undecided:

My only point in including that clause is to make your character indistinguishable from the clones. But if it's too much trouble, it'll have to be massively adjusted.

Enchantments won't be copied. Anyway, you have to be pretty astute that one of the Assassins has Conjure Flame, while the other two don't.

Conditions have to be copied, or else your opponents are going to go for the Assassin who's apparently suffering something whereas the clones are not.

Hexes? Maybe, maybe not... Let's say your Assassin has Parasitic Bond on him- he activates Shadow Copy. Does that mean the Necro who cast PB gets triple Health in return?

Urda
02-03-2006, 03:06
Well ok, my try :

what about making a defensive skill.

1) you are healed for xx health and 2 copies with hexes/conditions/Enchantments appear. teleport to nearby place.

2) they have same health (after heal) and take same damage as you and USE the same skills at the same time as you do, but with no fx. (just looks same). this sounds weak, but gives you at least some seconds noone can really figure out who you are.

3) since they are from the shadow plane (...), they are imune to conditions hexes and enchantments, but the arrows on the bar are indicated anyway if hexed/enchanted. This ensures one CAN find out who is the original assa, but its hard and takes time to watch exactly if degen/bleeding works as intended. guess this is ballanced.

Another option for point 1 :
1a) same as 1 + shadows take normal damage, but if YOU take damage its divided and redirected among the number of shadows alive. (if there are 2 shadows you and all 3 shadows take 1/3 damage).