PDA

View Full Version : Anet feedback?

wind
25-02-2006, 21:47
I remember playing Baldurs Gate and NWN. Those forums payed attention to their storyline by official representatives.

GW lacks in this department IMO.

Wouldn't it be great if whoever was responsible for story and game content developement, post once in a while?

Like why would I need to look through the sources of info to find out who is responsible for the storyline content. Just by going on to major fansites, those guys should be seen and well known, readily available.

For a game company that does have such well known reputation to listening to player feedback, why is their input and feedback lacking when it comes to LORE?

In defense, I remember reading numerous post and threads that utterly trashed the storyline. The lack of the development of Prince Uriks 180* turn from conquering the Charr invaders to the "run away ... run away" attitude comes to mind. Which isn't a very good basis to start any dialogue with those responsible for story development and perhaps scare them off to boot!

But this forum seems to have a very "level head" when it comes to exploring the good and bad points of the world that is Guild Wars.

So I wonder again ... Why is official input and feedback lacking? ......

This is more of a statement than any desire to create discussion, because only those "official folks" at Anet would have the right answers.

Cyberman
25-02-2006, 22:09
Gaile said they have a team for holiday events now. Perhaps theyīll consider creating a team for lore as well.

Someone should ask her, when sheīs online next time.

I suppose they didnīt think so many people would actually be interested in the storyline.

Adam Zephyr
25-02-2006, 23:38
We cannot confirm or deny the paleolographical findings of Mr. Eratimus. In fact, we cannot confirm or deny the existence of runes, signs, heiroglyphs, or newly-devised ancient Tyrian alphabets. If we were going to do so, we'd have to point to a certain artist named Matthew Medina, and comment on his exceptional ingenuity and the remarkable creativity displayed in such a project.

However, you know how it goes: We cannot confirm or deny the existence of any such artist.

think this is the closest think we've had as feedback. its from gaile(couldnt get the quote think to work properly
http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=382438&page=3

The Boz
25-02-2006, 23:46
Dang, I'd really love some feedback on this. Mainly, if we're digging in the right direction. My biggest worry with this is the possibility that we're not as much uncovering lore as we are making it. That's why I really think twice before reaching any conclusions.

Quintus Antonius
26-02-2006, 04:10
I firmly believe that something went wrong in the storyline department of ANet, because all the potential for an absolutely amazing storyline are in the game, but a lot of dots are left unconnected.

For instance, there is a "companion" story to the game features Devona and crew, but it is left unfinished, and has lots of mistakes that don't line up with the game's official lore. Also, the characters in question make apparences in the game, which suggests that the buddy story was supposed to explain a lot.

Also, the things we are talking about are in the game, no question, but we are left connecting the dots due to removed quests or oversights. I don't believe that ANet went through all the trouble of putting this stuff in the game simply to inspire fan forum lore discussions. They were obviously planning to connect the dots at some point and just never did.

That said, it may also be something relating to the multiple chapter concept. Ten chapters from now all this stuff may be answered, and we will look back and be like, "Well damn..."

Still, another thing that came to mind is the very fact that these things may have been "planted" to promote just such topics of conversation. ANet may, in fact, be listening into us, and using our ideas to produce future storylines/lore/quests. It would be a great way to avoid hiring high priced writers and still keep credit for all the story work, because no one will ever give us credit. That's a pretty farfetched conspircy theory, but still.

What I think really happened was ANet just slacked off. Let's face it, 99% of players have short attention spans. Very few will even think about this stuff, and ANet may have realized that they didn't need to put that much work into a product that is free to play, and will promote tons of revenue even without in-depth lore exploration.

Cyberman
26-02-2006, 09:24
What I think really happened was ANet just slacked off. Let's face it, 99% of players have short attention spans. Very few will even think about this stuff, and ANet may have realized that they didn't need to put that much work into a product that is free to play, and will promote tons of revenue even without in-depth lore exploration.

Then we should start become a "vocal minority", like the PVP crowd.

I too think they(probably marketing) just thought it doesnīt matter.
Letīs hope itīll be better in next chapters. I surely hope for a return to this area.

Quintus Antonius
26-02-2006, 17:26

Letīs hope itīll be better in next chapters. I surely hope for a return to this area.

I think we are a vocal minority. When I created that petition a few weeks ago to create this forum we have now, it recieved something like a 100 some signatures in less than a two day period of time. Also, the topics we create here in the lore forum are, as a whole, more popular, averaging a higher rate of page views and responses.

We'd have even more if gwonline.net let our topics be featured in "Forum Watch" on the front page like they were when lore was just a subsection of the community discussion forum.

Still, it would be nice to see someone from ANet post something here in the lore forum, just to show they support what we are doing.

Lazarus Dio
27-02-2006, 17:12

This is probably true to a certain extent. Despite the plot holes mentioned, Guild Wars has still become a popular and enjoyable game to play. My hope is that our study and exploration of the world and lore will be more encouraging in developing new material than just criticizing Anet. The nice thing about this is that it can always be improved upon. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to implement new quests using NPCs and areas that were clearly designed for playable content. Sort of like what Quintus said, its possible that this was intentional so that they could keep the game fresh as it gets older.

Either way, I'm optimistic!

Quintus Antonius
27-02-2006, 17:21
<snip>

Sort of like what Quintus said, its possible that this was intentional so that they could keep the game fresh as it gets older.

Either way, I'm optimistic!

Think about it though. Guild Wars operates on a "chapter" system.

When have you ever picked up a book and got the full story on the first chapter?

Crayak
27-02-2006, 18:13
wait...why isnt this forum on the Forum Watch????????
:angry:

Quintus Antonius
27-02-2006, 20:18

The only topics featured on the Forum Watch seem to be topics from the Community Discussion thread. I've never seen any other forums featured there.

Crayak
27-02-2006, 21:54
:angry2: ............... :banghead:
doh, never noticed that....how about just the Lore section then?
:laugh:

Eratimus
28-02-2006, 03:25

Let me see what I can do to remedy the forum watch issue....but can't make any promises :)

Crayak
28-02-2006, 13:19
Let me see what I can do to remedy the forum watch issue....but can't make any promises :)

:grin: yey

Fallen_62
01-03-2006, 23:39
:grin: yey

Unfortunately, the forum watch is tied only to the Community Discussion Forum. I did forget to put this forum in the nav bar on the site, and when Eratimus PMed me, I added it right away. So, sorry, but it prolly wont make it into the forum watch

Quintus Antonius
02-03-2006, 02:45
Unfortunately, the forum watch is tied only to the Community Discussion Forum. I did forget to put this forum in the nav bar on the site, and when Eratimus PMed me, I added it right away. So, sorry, but it prolly wont make it into the forum watch

Regardless of whether or not this, or any other forum, is represented in the Forum Watch, I would still like to thank you and all the staff members of GWOnline for all your attention and graciousness towards our requests. You have been very generous, and very responsive to us, and I thank you for this.

Still, I have a question. Why is only the Community Discussion forum featured rather than the most popular threads from across the boards? Please, don't misinterpert this as a complaint, I'm just generally curious.

Fallen_62
02-03-2006, 03:06
Still, I have a question. Why is only the Community Discussion forum featured rather than the most popular threads from across the boards? Please, don't misinterpert this as a complaint, I'm just generally curious.

I know you arent complaining ;) And, from a coding standpoint, I think it would he hard to pick out the threads that are "popular" for a few reasons. If you went by just total posts, there are several threads with 200+ posts, but they only get posted in once and a while. We could maybe do something like 1 post from each of the major forums (OTF, Lore, CD, CL, etc), but that would also be a nightmare to code.

I dont think it would be impossible to do, but it would prolly be quite improbable.

Einskaldir Tinukai
02-03-2006, 08:22
About Quintus Antonius comparing Guild Wars with books, since Factions is gonna be stand-alone I think it is wrong to compare it with books.
It's more like the 'adventures of *insert character name here*'. Its nice to have read the previous book, but not necesary. They are two different stories with only a few mentions to the other book, wich are nice off course.

And I agree with the OP that it would be nice to get some feedback from officials. There was alot of lore-potential in GW:P, but it was left unused. Probabely due to the fact that most players really don't care. Which is sad, but a fact nevertheless.

Just my humble opinion. :smiley: