PDA

View Full Version : Assassin, the new most versitile profession ?

heavymetal rules
28-02-2006, 00:55
Hello all,

Sorry Mods if this might have been covered, if it as please move.

While reading cgw's feb issue, looking at the Assassin's skills, I could help but make me think that the assassin will be the new verssitile profession.
(that being in my opnion)

I play a ranger and understand why to me that the ranger is very very versitile at this state of gwp. some may agree others may not but that's neither here nor there. I'm just going thru my head at just the possibilites either combining like a a/n : the teleport skill and then a vile touch? a vampiric touch/gaze? what have you. or a a/e. combine an assassins knock down skill with aftershock? or shock? just wow? you all get the gist.

I played one during the fpw and i loved it. but just thought i'd share that with you...

whats' your opnion guys...thax.

Masoj Hunett
28-02-2006, 01:50
you have a very good point. It will be interesting to see how they play out. However, I think they will basically have the same versatility as warriors, being knock down, putting on conditions, etc... plus a few other things warriors can't do. I look forward to playing with these guys more...but for versatility goes, I am not sure if they will be the most diverse. Necros are EXTREMELY versatile, filling almost any role possible, followed closely by rangers and mesmers. I must admit, assassins do have tons of potential.

Zaxares
28-02-2006, 04:18
Assassins will be the kings of flag/relic running in GvG and HA. This I foresee. :wink:

Lefaras
28-02-2006, 11:00
I think Assasin will be more than just flag runner. They will be very effective in killing caster and applying pressure on monks as alot of the assasin skills cost draze. THey will be a petty nasty hex caster with all the deadly arts and shadow arts hexes.

Zaxares
01-03-2006, 02:43
I think Assasin will be more than just flag runner. They will be very effective in killing caster and applying pressure on monks as alot of the assasin skills cost draze. THey will be a petty nasty hex caster with all the deadly arts and shadow arts hexes.

Oh, certainly the assassin won't be a one trick pony. One trick ponies do NOT last long in GvG and HA. I'm just saying that most assassins in GvG or HA will be used for running flags/relics, while performing some other role.

In PvE, I expect assassins to become melee spikers that work very well with tank warriors. The warrior goes in, holds aggro, assassin comes in, spikes and kills, teleports back to safety. Rinse and repeat.

One other very useful tactic I can imagine assassins doing is being 'instigators'. There are several places in Tyria where monster mobs are hostile to each other. The assassin can lead these groups into conflict with each other by using Shadow Step (or its elite, I forget the name) to pull the groups into each other, teleport back out, and then watch the carnage. This may be a very useful and powerful tactic in Factions PvE.

MaximumSquid
01-03-2006, 04:48
hmmm i don't know. . .

Assasssins have some sick cripples, teleports, and spells that make them move fast when an enemy is pressent. . .

Alone though they are just as slow as everyone else.

I'm really not seeing assassin primary as the real flag runner. R/A could easily be it though . . . imo

Stoopid Monkey
03-03-2006, 14:23
In a gvg situation they can be used in a ganking way. Making the thief not really needed they can shadow step to target enemy (Archer) get the door and there we go, works about like the necro point of view with this in the consume corpse after killing the archer. What adds to this is it is also a good damage dealer, so adding in with a strong gank if needed.

The possibilities are endless to what you can think of, but I think the main thing it will be in gvg is the flagrunner, taking out the all so known ranger/mesmer as the flag runner maybe a A/R because of dash, return, dodge (no expertise though but still the skill) and what nots.

MercenaryKnight
04-03-2006, 06:37
Theres the one assassin elite enchantment cast on yourself when enchant ends you go back to where you cast it. That could be used either after you put flag down to get back to safety, or cast it at the flag stand and then grab flag and use it to get back.

Siru
04-03-2006, 12:52
Theres the one assassin elite enchantment cast on yourself when enchant ends you go back to where you cast it. That could be used either after you put flag down to get back to safety, or cast it at the flag stand and then grab flag and use it to get back.

Sorry I barge in here like this to inform you about this but it is not possible to carry items like flags through 'shadowstep'. They will just fall to the ground where you started the teleport.
And this elite is used toward someone targeted hostile and causes you to shadowstep to him. It recalls your position before the enchantment (Aura Of Displacement if I remember right).

Exodus Mars
05-03-2006, 16:40
sorry i think rangers and necros are definitely more versatile.

Phoenixtech
05-03-2006, 22:13
Sorry I barge in here like this to inform you about this but it is not possible to carry items like flags through 'shadowstep'. They will just fall to the ground where you started the teleport.
And this elite is used toward someone targeted hostile and causes you to shadowstep to him. It recalls your position before the enchantment (Aura Of Displacement if I remember right).

No, he's talking about Recall. You can cast it on an ally near the guildlord and go carry your flag to the flag stand, then instantly teleport back when you are done, saving you the trip back.

Now, although this seems overpowered, it really adds an interesting strategy to the game, since you can get someone to sneak into their base and remove the recall enchantment and force the assasin to teleport back and drop his flag.

Goldfish God
06-03-2006, 02:59
Recall isn't elite apparently, so it's a bit confusing which was actually meant :laugh:

just a random idea, set up multiple Recalls on various members of your party. End specific ones to reinforce their positions. (e.g. teleport to your monk if he's under melee attack, teleport to your warrior when in close to enemy casters). Of course you could use the other teleport skills to produce similar effects.

Phoenixtech
06-03-2006, 03:35
Recall isn't elite apparently, so it's a bit confusing which was actually meant :laugh:

just a random idea, set up multiple Recalls on various members of your party. End specific ones to reinforce their positions. (e.g. teleport to your monk if he's under melee attack, teleport to your warrior when in close to enemy casters). Of course you could use the other teleport skills to produce similar effects.

Yeah, like I said before, it makes for very interesting tactics into all sorts of stuff like split team strategies and flag carrying. There'll be plenty of offensive and defensive teleporting tactics and builds. Looking forward to Factions already lol.

Ace Bear
06-03-2006, 04:08
What will be really interesting with the Recall enchant is with splits groups in GvG. Usually when a team splits the other team will mimic the split(teamA splits 4 and 4 teamB matches 4 and 4). Well with Assassin primaries/secondaries and the recall enchant you could literally split then have one group pull away from the other group(which lifts the enchantment anyway) and teleport back to your own group. 4 and 4 split becomes 8v4 real quick heh. I imagine we are going to see lots of that early on in the Factions GvG scene. Should be pretty funny.

Might also start seeing some Mo/A with the Recall as well. In real trouble? Tele out, team pulls back, heals up, fights back! Or the Recall enchant might be on the Wars who are "overextending" so they can heal them better or jump away from danger. So many things with the Recall enchant can be used to a team's advantage, and that is one skill among many others in Assassin lineup.

heavymetal rules
06-03-2006, 05:06

well i agree with that for this time during prophicies, but when factions comes out, i think That (imo) will be the new most versitile profession, just the possibilities to me mixing with the other professions could make the assassin just so deadly. but again that's just my 2k worth.

The Experimentor
06-03-2006, 10:26
... versatiliy comes at a price.

For example, the evasion and blocking of Assassin skills isn't as high as that of Rangers. And shadow stepping around when you're hit just isn't the same.

For that matter, is it really "versatility"? Or is it more a smattering of different abilities that allow us to fulfill one particular role or set of closely related roles on the battlefield?

Just my $o.2o.

Exodus Mars
07-03-2006, 21:18
:wink: I think you mean your two gold coins, your $0.02, your two pesos, your two francs, your two shillings, your 2 lira, your 2 rupees, your 2 euro cents, your 2 krones, your 2 dinari, etc....
I just think that usefulness of assassins is a little overhyped these days, tagen, dias, etc...

CKaz
07-03-2006, 21:54
certainly a 4pip melee attacker is flexible :shocked:
think of A/Mo for maintains, or its ability to mix in spell casts in general
even the class itself has maintains [before other casting classes... :tongue:]

and then how its all about energy attacks - no adrenaline, charge-up just patterns
(interesting, if not questionable move IMO but anyways :huh:)

thus the chat of just how almost silly cheap all of a R/As attack skills could be

they're very diverse with their own line up, like doing exhaust, yikes

all that said they don't interest me as much as ritualists, anything insanely over the top will get brought in line (one would hope anyways) and yeah, I wouldn't go overboard with its praise. but they certainly got a lot of tools.

Dawn Stormborn
08-03-2006, 13:44
I agree with Exodus Mars, I still see rangers and necros as more versatile, meaning they can play a variety of roles in a group. I see assassins more like elementalists, where they boil down to dealing damage in multiple ways.

Rangers can be ranged attackers, interrupters, beast masters, trappers, condition spreaders, bring various spirits (winter, healing spring, greater conf, etc) to help the team, and so forth.

Necros can be huge damage dealers ranged or melee, interrupters, minion masters, condition spreaders, serve as a battery for others, enhance group damage (via orders/barbs, mark of pain, etc) and so on.

I'm just not seeing this kind of versatility with an assassin, unless their secondary profession is ranger or necro. ;) I'm not saying assassins aren't any good - I am definitely starting one up when GW:F releases, and a ritualist as well. Probably an A/E and a Rt/W for two reasons: mix melee and caster professions, and E and W are the two professions I haven't unlocked yet) and I'm sure both will be fun.

Xunlai Agent
12-03-2006, 23:18
Seconded. When I read the OP I was going to post this but Exodus got there first. As did Dawn who goes into detail on this statement and explores all the possibilities.