PDA

View Full Version : Skill Build of the Day Discussion: Marksman's Wager

Vallen Frostweaver
28-02-2006, 23:00
Skill of the Day:
Marksman's Wager - Elite (Expertise)
5 energy 2 second cast 24 second recharge
Description: Preparation. For 12 seconds, you gain 5..9 Energy whenever your arrows hit, but lose 10 Energy whenever your arrows fail to strike.

Can be found at:
Boss - Custodian Jenus in Outpost Elona Reach.
Boss - Custodian Phebus in Outpost Thirsty River.
Boss - Garris Nightwatch in Outpost The Frost Gate.

Please list/explain/discuss any builds you may have for this skill and feel free to incorporate other professions into it or even team tactics (PvE and/or PvP).

My 2 cents: A very strange skill. A preparation that doesn't last long but has the potential to flood you with energy. I've often entertained the idea of using Spinal Shivers with this and an Icy string mixed with Tigers Fury but never got around to it (haven't unlocked many Necro skills yet but working on it). Blind instantly kills you as you lose energy fast if you didn't notice it on you and will have to stop to remove if your monk isn't paying very close attention but by then the preparation has ended... It seems this has Ranger primaries in mind though as it's an Expertise skill. Could be very useful but I'm of the opinion it has to have a specialized build incorporating it at it doesn't add damage by itself. Maybe best used with R/E for energy regen only with big costing spells but I could find better use for my Elite slot in that case. Could work with an interrupter in mind but then Serpents Quickness is the best you can do to reset your skills faster to take advantage of the extra energy. Lets hear your comments.

meatloafman
28-02-2006, 23:11
its just not worth being A) an elite skill, B) a preparation.. you can just use a zealous bow and get a better effect with barrage.

Bickety Bam
28-02-2006, 23:16
It's quite nice used with the ranger necro build - you can spam vampiric touch and vile touch all day long. It works very nicely to hit during recharge of vampiric.

I solo Drakes and Jade's with a build like this.

WiseElben
28-02-2006, 23:18
Never tried it, but there are too many counters to it. Interuppting the skill is too easy. Forgetting to USE the skill itself is already a problem. Blind will destroy you... A lot of counters, but in a perfect condition (no blind, no missing, etc), it is a powerful skill. Especially useful when you have a lot of spells (meaning expertise doesn't help) in your skillbar.

Cocotroid
01-03-2006, 01:52
its just not worth being A) an elite skill, B) a preparation.. you can just use a zealous bow and get a better effect with barrage.

Zealous string + Barrage requires a mob of enemies, Marksman's Wager doesn't.

Jaen
05-03-2006, 04:03
Zealous string + Barrage requires a mob of enemies, Marksman's Wager doesn't.

Frankly I'm a little suprised this skill didn't receive a small buff from the recent update.

A long time ago before GW went retail this prep was not elite and it was marksmanship based. It was nerfed from that state to it's present state.

Presumably, aside from the aforementioned necro build since this preparation doesn't last long and doesn't add any damage you'll probably be spamming lots of attack skills with it.

A build that I've been thinking of is

Powershot
Savageshot
Penetrating shot
Distracting shot(maybe?)

I've tested a similar build with

Powershot
Savageshot
Penetrating Shot
Quickshot

It did decent sustained damage for pressuring enemy monks but I ran out of mana after a few rounds of casting power shot followed by quick, then penetrating followed by savage, then back to power etc.

Marksman's Wager may help this build, no idea.

Xunlai Agent
05-03-2006, 04:15
My thoughts exactly! Why hasn't this been buffed? Who voted 5+? I can't understand why unless you have a super secret build, which works like a dream? I know I don't have one! :grin:
I don't like the skill and it I would only use it if it weren't elite in combination with Practised Stance. Guess it could work with a Arcane Mimicry team...

~Xunlai Ritualist~

DeadInside.DOA
05-03-2006, 06:19
The only experience I have had with the skill was as soon as I capped it. It was my first elite skill for my Ranger and afterwords I went PvP. Basically I spammed all my attacks/skills and once I was out of energy I used it, dualed shot, then started pounding out again. It really is a situation skill. If it wasnt an Elite I would probably use it more for quick energy gain. However like several of the Ranger Elites I cant justify using my one Elite slot on it. If it was a regular skill probably yes, but the way it is I doubt I will ever use it again.

jasongst
05-03-2006, 06:46
I still think there have to be plenty of uses for this skill, especially with the newly buffed attacks. I can imagine a lvl 16 Penetrating Shot, Power Shot, etc., all on an infinite loop. Go R/Mo and you can bring Purge Conditions or Mend Ailment for blind. Go R/N if you prefer Plague Touch and Rigor Mortis. I doubt it would be much more effective than an R/Me with Mantra of Recall though.

cougar hockey
05-03-2006, 15:02
i think this skill is ok but not something like....uh.........say punishing shot for ranger spike. i don't think it'll be the new fotm but it could be fun to play around with:afro: